NT: School me on tinting my windows

Alright guys, I have an 08' Acura TL that I want tinted and thought maybe I come to you guys for help. 
I don't know too much about tinting and I figure there's things to know such as type of film, percentages and etc. 

Is there a specific brand I should look for the installers to use? What's the best percentage to use? I'm thinking of going 10% (I have a light interior). 

How much should I be looking to pay? Anyone know any good spots to tint in Queens, NY?

Thanks NT

Go to a reputable spot. You get what you pay for. I went to a friend and my stuff started peeling within 6 months.

Grizzlyboy wrote:
Go to a reputable spot. You get what you pay for. I went to a friend and my stuff started peeling within 6 months.

This.
DIY tint jobs rarely turn out well. 

Call up a few high end dealerships and ask who they use to tint their cars when a customer requests a tint job before they sign the papers. Most dealerships contract out custom requests and use only the best painters/tinters/pinstripers/etc. in their area.

Be prepared to pay 50% to 2x as much, but it will be well worth it.

Edit: 10% is pretty dark. Im not sure what the laws are in NY, but most states are 35%.

Some states (like Missouri) you can go as dark as 5% on the back glass and rear windows but only 35% on the front windows.

i got that limo tint all around
pimp.gif

When I got my car done I got 5% on the back windows and 20% on the fronts, paid 120 and they used 3m film. Its been almost 5 years and the tint has not faded its still black. Cheaper brands tend to turn purple after about 2 years where I had it done they gave me a 1 year no questions asked warranty.

i wish mine was darker. did all the windows excepts the windshield (duh) and did lighter on the driver and passengers. makes car look a lot better, but main reason was to protect my system in the back of the suv so people cant see it

Originally Posted by oidreez

Check how legal it is in your state/city

word, nyc cops will stop you even if your tints are in the legal %. I've been stop numerous times when my boy had it on his car.

This. Limo tint in the back and the legal California tint 70% in the front. Just follow the rules, it's not worth the trouble. 

DON'T DO IT...

Unless you don't mind paying a @+$%**+! of tickets...

A lot of rookies in queens right now trying to get their quota up setting up checkpoints/ harassing people that have, and even don't have tints...

I felt it wasn't worth it after awhile and removed mines...

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

This. Limo tint in the back and the legal California tint 70% in the front. Just follow the rules, it's not worth the trouble. 
I'd check again but I believe no tint in the front is allowed in CA at all. 70% might be passable because it is barely noticeable but last I checked, you can't have front tints at all.

Limo Tint sucks at night when you're trying to reverse out of a parking spot... Especially in bad weather.... smh

....It looks nice as hell though
pimp.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Regal Black

Originally Posted by socluis90

i got that limo tint all around
pimp.gif
damn bruh, how do you drive at night?
i got 5% all around too. strange as it sounds, i find it easier driving at night with tints. when you check your rear view/side mirrors, the tint almost acts as a filter and headlights show up crystal clear with no distortion. it's actually easier to see where other cars are because of that.

Originally Posted by RFX45

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

I'd check again but I believe no tint in the front is allowed in CA at all. 70% might be passable because it is barely noticeable but last I checked, you can't have front tints at all.
i've heard the 70% value thrown around a lot too, but i'm almost positive the law says you can't have anything on the front.

you'd have to be dealing with the most punk officer in the world to get cited for having 70% tints though.

I have 20% all the way around.... 41% on the windshield ..... Black car and black interior.... Your interior makes a huge difference

check to see if they can install mole skin linings. some cars scratch up the tints when you roll down/up your windows. that's what happened to the tint of my TL and that's what people suggest on acura forums just saaayin

This.

In alot of places you can get the back windows as dark as you want as long as the front windows are the legal amount.

This. tintlaws.com works.

One of my uncle's went to get his inspection test and they told him his window tint was too dark so he had to take them it off (only the driver and passenger side though).

^

You are just ASKING for tickets with your front windshield tinted. 
laugh.gif
That wont fly in NYC or Cali.

Isn't 70% stock tint? What ever car comes with?

In any case OP, even with a light interior 20% is more than dark enough. Some people want that REALLY dark look and go 5%. I dont even think a 10% exists...usually its 35%, then 20%, then 5%. Some people even get double 5%.

Get 20% on you back windows and 35% on your front.

Originally Posted by IMASOLEMAN18

20% all around is what i have, i would love to get my front windshield done

Don't do it, you'll somewhat regret it. 
I got 5% all the way around and went with 35% on my windshield. Hard to drive at night and in the rain, but my car does look good.

To OP, like many have said, go to a reputable shop. The good ones will offer life time warranties against bubbling and peeling. The shops should also have sample windows with each level of tint they offer. Go in there an check out which one suits you best. 

Back
Top Bottom