NT should I buy this house? 2000+ sq ft for 63k across from school, good neighborhood

get it my dude. if you are a hands on type man that can work on stuff yourself it ts worth it and will be an experience 

get it my dude. if you are a hands on type man that can work on stuff yourself it ts worth it and will be an experience 

Originally Posted by Mr718

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

If you want to renovate that the correct way it'll run you 60-70k at the minimum I would think. The kitchen alone will run 25-30k.

You been watching too much Food Network
laugh.gif
A completely redone, nice kitchen over here in Brooklyn will run you 40k.  I discounted for OK.
laugh.gif

Kitchens are the most expensive next to structural repairs. 

If you want to renovate that the correct way it'll run you 60-70k at the minimum I would think. The kitchen alone will run 25-30k.

laugh.gif
A completely redone, nice kitchen over here in Brooklyn will run you 40k.  I discounted for OK.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Vendetta

63k? Was someone murdered in it? lol
It's bank owned repo and more than likely the family that defaulted had already paid off eough of the loan that the bank doesn't care what they get for it. Like I said, it has been on the site over 2 months and it was 16k higher just at the beginning of 2 months ago.

I decided no though. Like I said, there are better out there with less work and frankly, it's ugly and I'm sitting here having to convince myself I could "settle" for it, not a good look when you spend as much as a house costs.

I don't get why dude doesn't believe it's 2k though. It's a legitimately big house, I didn't post all of the pics. Maybe I'll snap one when I drive past today in like an hour.

I think when my lease expires here in like 6 weeks, I'm going to move back into my parents' for at least 2 months and put that savings toward a down payment and then start looking more seriously around late October, early November which is also around my 27th birthday so that'd be something good to get myself.

Originally Posted by Vendetta

63k? Was someone murdered in it? lol
It's bank owned repo and more than likely the family that defaulted had already paid off eough of the loan that the bank doesn't care what they get for it. Like I said, it has been on the site over 2 months and it was 16k higher just at the beginning of 2 months ago.

I decided no though. Like I said, there are better out there with less work and frankly, it's ugly and I'm sitting here having to convince myself I could "settle" for it, not a good look when you spend as much as a house costs.

I don't get why dude doesn't believe it's 2k though. It's a legitimately big house, I didn't post all of the pics. Maybe I'll snap one when I drive past today in like an hour.

I think when my lease expires here in like 6 weeks, I'm going to move back into my parents' for at least 2 months and put that savings toward a down payment and then start looking more seriously around late October, early November which is also around my 27th birthday so that'd be something good to get myself.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

When I buy my own house I want to be able to do my own repairs etc.  As of now I can barely change a lightbulb lol.  What's the best way to learn how to do construction stuff.  Habitat for humanity?  Are there any classes, courses that I could take to really learn the ins and outs of how to fix up a house??

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

When I buy my own house I want to be able to do my own repairs etc.  As of now I can barely change a lightbulb lol.  What's the best way to learn how to do construction stuff.  Habitat for humanity?  Are there any classes, courses that I could take to really learn the ins and outs of how to fix up a house??

^ Home Depot and Lowe's give free classes on the weekend. You can also watch the shows on HGTV and DIY, although at times they make #$%@ like TOO easy, in fact even have a show about that called Renovation Reality where normal people think they can save 20k by doing all this #$%@ themselves and usually run into trouble.

Anyways, someone bought this house but I ain't mad because I had already decided against it. I looked at some in a different neighborhood, about 2.5x the price at 150k but worth it. I'm meeting the realtor and the builder (I think he's going to be there anyways) to talk about just custom building me one since I want hardwood floors and he's just throwing them up with frieze carpeting. He's probably going to want to stick to one of the plans he has been using, and basically only difference put in wood, but just in case I have been researching some ~1500 square foot 3/2 and 4/2 plans.

^ Home Depot and Lowe's give free classes on the weekend. You can also watch the shows on HGTV and DIY, although at times they make #$%@ like TOO easy, in fact even have a show about that called Renovation Reality where normal people think they can save 20k by doing all this #$%@ themselves and usually run into trouble.

Anyways, someone bought this house but I ain't mad because I had already decided against it. I looked at some in a different neighborhood, about 2.5x the price at 150k but worth it. I'm meeting the realtor and the builder (I think he's going to be there anyways) to talk about just custom building me one since I want hardwood floors and he's just throwing them up with frieze carpeting. He's probably going to want to stick to one of the plans he has been using, and basically only difference put in wood, but just in case I have been researching some ~1500 square foot 3/2 and 4/2 plans.

600 sq ft? My first apartment was 550 and I thought that was tiny. I couldn't even bring my bed or any of the matching pieces because it's a queen sized. I had to go buy a full size and the basic rail frames. I guess space can be used more efficiently to make that work though, because that apartment the bathroom and kitchen were entirely too big given the small overall size. Obviously, you probably live in a desirable locale though, although that is still subjective.

There are places other than here I would love to live, but I wouldn't sacrifice living in a claustrophobic sized quarters to do so, and have to pay more at that. Obviously that's just my opinion

600 sq ft? My first apartment was 550 and I thought that was tiny. I couldn't even bring my bed or any of the matching pieces because it's a queen sized. I had to go buy a full size and the basic rail frames. I guess space can be used more efficiently to make that work though, because that apartment the bathroom and kitchen were entirely too big given the small overall size. Obviously, you probably live in a desirable locale though, although that is still subjective.

There are places other than here I would love to live, but I wouldn't sacrifice living in a claustrophobic sized quarters to do so, and have to pay more at that. Obviously that's just my opinion

The kitchen price is true, here in San Jose a nice kitchen is going to tun around 35k. Only thing missing from my family's house.

As for the house itself my mom was telling to always make your first house the one you really want because its a hassle to be fixing stuff and from the looks of it you are going to spend a good amount of time fixing the house up.

Think about it, the time you spend fixing the house how much $ would you have saved? With that you can buy a house with less needed repairs.

The kitchen price is true, here in San Jose a nice kitchen is going to tun around 35k. Only thing missing from my family's house.

As for the house itself my mom was telling to always make your first house the one you really want because its a hassle to be fixing stuff and from the looks of it you are going to spend a good amount of time fixing the house up.

Think about it, the time you spend fixing the house how much $ would you have saved? With that you can buy a house with less needed repairs.

Originally Posted by I AM THAT DUDE

I live in 570sqft right now and it drives me mental. I have a nice spot but it's way too small. I need a place where I have different areas. Right now, my kitchen is basically in my living room, which is basically in my solarium.

Unfortunately, around my way you're not finding ANYTHING under $500 per sq/ft and that is in a very horrible area. My current place (that I rent) is about $700 per sq/ft. Ridiculous.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by I AM THAT DUDE

I live in 570sqft right now and it drives me mental. I have a nice spot but it's way too small. I need a place where I have different areas. Right now, my kitchen is basically in my living room, which is basically in my solarium.

Unfortunately, around my way you're not finding ANYTHING under $500 per sq/ft and that is in a very horrible area. My current place (that I rent) is about $700 per sq/ft. Ridiculous.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom