NT verdict Dunk or Hard Lay-up

When dunking was disallowed in college basketball, didn't players like Kareem throw the ball in the basket without touching the rim without penalty?

When dunking was disallowed in college basketball, didn't players like Kareem throw the ball in the basket without touching the rim without penalty?

Originally Posted by SCOfoshO

nerd.gif

And..

Lay Up: a basketball shot made with one hand from a position under or beside the basket (and usually banked off the backboard)

All of these "throw downs" by Dwight, Blake, and Wade clearly must be Above the basket. If anything, call it a "lay-in." But no, I would call "throw downs" slam dunks.

I.E. The definition of a slam dunk according to Wikipedia is: Manually powering the ball downward through the basket with one or both hands OVER the rim...    - doesnt say anything about touching the rim.

Originally Posted by SCOfoshO

nerd.gif

And..

Lay Up: a basketball shot made with one hand from a position under or beside the basket (and usually banked off the backboard)

All of these "throw downs" by Dwight, Blake, and Wade clearly must be Above the basket. If anything, call it a "lay-in." But no, I would call "throw downs" slam dunks.

I.E. The definition of a slam dunk according to Wikipedia is: Manually powering the ball downward through the basket with one or both hands OVER the rim...    - doesnt say anything about touching the rim.

--A dunk if its against one clear cut defender.
--A difficult lay-up if its weaving through multiple defenders.

--Either one still counts as 2 points unless there's an "and 1" involved anyways.

--A dunk if its against one clear cut defender.
--A difficult lay-up if its weaving through multiple defenders.

--Either one still counts as 2 points unless there's an "and 1" involved anyways.

Back
Top Bottom