NT, What Are You Reading? Vol. 2010

Just finished reading this:

360px-flashforward_novel_hardback_cover.jpg

Currently reading this:

good-omens1.jpg

saxowj.jpg

This is a must read if you're a hardcore fan of basketball (as I assume much of #NT is). Aside from his ridiculous Celtics bias and hatred for the Lakers/Wilt/Vince, this book is incredible and you have to read all the footnotes. Fellow NT'er CheGTR put me on. I started it about 3 weeks ago, its about 700 pages and I'm just about halfway through.. I read it casually on the train or when I'm bored.

Originally Posted by viiheaven

saxowj.jpg

This is a must read if you're a hardcore fan of basketball (as I assume much of #NT is). Aside from his ridiculous Celtics bias and hatred for the Lakers/Wilt/Vince, this book is incredible and you have to read all the footnotes. Fellow NT'er CheGTR put me on. I started it about 3 weeks ago, its about 700 pages and I'm just about halfway through.. I read it casually on the train or when I'm bored.
actually was my first purchase for my nook. i've been hooked, reading it at stoplights and @#*%
laugh.gif
. also makes me want to spend my summer at the topless pool at the wynn. you never know what kinds of knowledge youll acquire when putting yourself in a good spot like that.

in the mood for something contemporary and not wack. either in the romance or historical fiction category. suggestions?

finished 13 Bankers the other day, highly recommended. will polish off this today. Another good read by Lewis.

The+Big+Short.jpg

looking for a true crime book. just got thru reading COP: a true story and Under and alone. looking for something along those lines.

The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch

The book following Randy's speech after he was diagnosed with terminal cancer and given 3 months to live. He talks about using a self checkout machine at the store and it accidentally charged him twice for his groceries. It would have taken him 20 minutes of talking to a manager to get his $16 back so he just let it charge him double and left, because that 20 minutes of time was far more valuable to him than the $16. One of the most eye opening things I've read in a long time.

Originally Posted by Nek32

The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch

The book following Randy's speech after he was diagnosed with terminal cancer and given 3 months to live. He talks about using a self checkout machine at the store and it accidentally charged him twice for his groceries. It would have taken him 20 minutes of talking to a manager to get his $16 back so he just let it charge him double and left, because that 20 minutes of time was far more valuable to him than the $16. One of the most eye opening things I've read in a long time.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

One of my favorite books.

Just Finished - You Call the Shots by Cameron Johnson

Currently reading - Direct from Dell by Michael Dell

Poetry mostly: George Oppen: New Collected Works; Lorine Niedecker: Collected Works; Kahlil Gibran: The Collected Works.

I'm going to dedicate my summer to catch up on my writing and I have to credit objectivist poetry for rekindling my desire to write again.

Originally Posted by MrONegative

Originally Posted by The Yes Guy

I just finished Infinite Jest after nearly 6 weeks of fairly regular reading, and I'm a fast reader, so that should give you some idea of just how long and difficult it really is.

That being said, totally worth it.
You're stronger than me. I got a paper weight called Infinite Jest. 
eyes.gif

I really do recommend it. I feel like if you were interested in it enough to buy it, you probably have the capacity to finish it.

Or you'll just be able to keep papers in place even during gale force winds.

Originally Posted by viiheaven

saxowj.jpg

I was waiting to pick this up so I'd be able to finish all the other things I wanted to read, but I ended up buying it yesterday. Simmons is an amazing writer. Since he's literally one of my favorite writers I'm already 100 pages in and it doesn't even surprise me.

He is bias, but he makes a strong argument for Russell that is nearly iron clad. I can't WAIT until the parts where he gets on VC, should be hilarious.

Just ordered:
Jacket.aspx

I never picked it up before because it's 1200 pages.  But after reading his articles for the independent, I feel like I might actually be able to finish it.  Dude is a great writer on top of his first hand account.

Rereading The Catcher in the Rye, haven't read it in a while and I'm writing a first person story, so what the hell, right?

Back
Top Bottom