NT Whats Your Opinion on Mandatory Car Breathalyzers?

Originally Posted by voodoo

The law in France is that you must carry a breathalyzer in your car. They don't have a law saying the car must have a built-in breathalyzer used to start it. What they're trying to do is take away your ability to deny you knew you were intoxicated.

Yup, thanks for the correction/ clarification!
I'm surprised so many people on NT are for a built-in-breathalyzer. Hopefully the US lawmakers wake-up and pass something along these lines and save some lives.

oh good, another nanny device.....

call me old school, but if u drink and drive, you do it at your own peril... #naturalselection

Have someone (non-intoxicated person) else breathe into the apparatus?? Seems to be too many ways around it for it to works successfully, IMHO. But the thought process is going down the right track. Hopefully something more sophisticated will be figured out.

Originally Posted by ninjahood

call me old school, but if u drink and drive, you do it at your own peril... #naturalselection

The law would be implemented not only to save the lives of people who choose to drive drunk, but the innocent people that would have been killed by those drunk drivers.

you obviously have no empathy towards those that die in drinking-related car accidents... by the hands of the ones that chose to drink.
by old school, you mean selectively naive, I'm assuming.

I can always count on you for my daily dose of stupidity
laugh.gif

because driving drunk only affects that one individual, right?
#thinkbeforeyoutype

A human life does not have infinite value. No one life is worth the liberty of every citizen, who ever drives, and this law makes everyone who drives a vehicle less free because it is based on a presumption of guilt and it serves to further break citizens and to soften them up for further and further intrusions into their privacy and their freedom.

You think I am being callous but would you accept a national curfew for all children and all adults, a five mile per hour speed limit (including emergency response vehicles) and universal GPS monitoring of all vehicle in order to ensure that no one violates this new curfew and this new speed limit? If everyone can not drive over five miles per hour and can only drive to work and cannot drive to ever socialize after dark, we would save a good deal of lives and prevent billions in damages caused by car accidents.

Of course, we would be much poorer and much less free but anything to "save a life."

Wow ninja. 
that was hilariously stupid.

Originally Posted by Rexanglorum

A human life does not have infinite value. No one life is worth the liberty of every citizen, who ever drives, and this law makes everyone who drives a vehicle less free because it is based on a presumption of guilt and it serves to further break citizens and to soften them up for further and further intrusions into their privacy and their freedom.

You think I am being callous but would you accept a national curfew for all children and all adults, a five mile per hour speed limit (including emergency response vehicles) and universal GPS monitoring of all vehicle in order to ensure that no one violates this new curfew and this new speed limit? If everyone can not drive over five miles per hour and can only drive to work and cannot drive to ever socialize after dark, we would save a good deal of lives and prevent billions in damages caused by car accidents.

Of course, we would be much poorer and much less free but anything to "save a life."

that an interesting leap you made there…but isn't the difference that it IS against the law to drive drunk? freedom is so overrated(because how free are we really though), not to sound callous but i'm not at all against people doing themselves harm…the issue is that drunk drivers can do harm to others.

would not against this at all, though an interesting aside is that many more people are supposedly injured/killed from drunk-walking than drunk driving, which could be an unintended consequence of such a law…

if i have never driven drunk and i dont intend to i shouldnt be forced to blow into my car every dam time i want to drive somewhere

No way. Once you saw how much money the country makes off DUI's you would then see why that would never happen here. $ > safety is the way the gov thinks.
I got a DUI 5 years ago when I was 21 and had to pay $1,000 to the city and $2,000 to the state. All in all it was about $5,500 after all the other small fees and meetings.

The law in France is that you must carry a breathalyzer in your car. They don't have a law saying the car must have a built-in breathalyzer used to start it. What they're trying to do is take away your ability to deny you knew you were intoxicated.

if this is the case i support it

So what if i do not blow it in?

What difference does it make if you didnt know you were over the limit or not?

I dont understand the purpose.

Good intentions =/= Good idea

Originally Posted by cguy610

How about we just make alcohol illegal instead.

This. Cigarettes too. Why put something into your body that's so damaging. 

Although this may save lives, the inconvenience of it all may be too much. What if someone with asthma or cystic fibrosis needed to drive and had trouble blowing into the test hard enough to get a reading. 

Thank You.

Originally Posted by jthagreat

Wow ninja. 
that was hilariously stupid.
you im guilty until proven innocent when i enter a damn car?
eyes.gif
grin.gif

why stop there, lets all get judge dread guns that blow up da hands of someone that has a assault case in their record...
laugh.gif
indifferent.gif

couldn't of said it better myself.

Originally Posted by cguy610

How about we just make alcohol illegal instead.

Because that worked so damn well the first time. I'm sure the cartels would love to add tequilla to their list of ways to make money and chop a few more heads....

I'm all for it. Take away the ability to drive intoxicated. Drinking and driving isn't something to be taken lightly.

Back
Top Bottom