NT's LEGAL Gun Thread UPDATE...First Youtube Firearm Review Page 61

Eotech or Aimpoint...a very spirited and sometimes heated discussion in the world of firearms. When it all comes down to it, it is a matter of personal preference. Both systems are used by people who tote rifles for a living, or more specifically guys who often shoot at a two-way range (you know the type of range where the targets shoot back).

I ultimately chose the Eotech 552 over the Aimpoint Comp M4 and here is why (sorry this might be a long write up).

• I felt the Eotech had a better and more open sight window area. The huge rectangular mini-screen makes target acquisition VERY fast even with both eyes open. I had to use the Aimpoint in training and I didn't like the smaller tube as much as the rectangular window.
  • The reticule... I like Eotech's 1 MOA dot reticule surrounded by the 65 MOA "donut". The 1 MOA (minute of angle which is basically 1 inch per 100 yards) dot is precise enough for a relatively accurate shot out to 150-200 yards, while the 65 MOA donut can allow you to hit an area target or moving target better. It can also be used for rudimentary range estimation. Since Aimpoint uses LED instead of holographic lasers it cannot make a dot smaller than 2 MOA. For some people that doesn't matter.
  • Durability...well this is kind of close. The Aimpoint is a tank, and with the aluminum protection shroud that the Eotech's have they are tanks as well. Difference is that since the Eotech's uses laser holography, even if the glass is damaged it can still project onto it. I'll include a picture below so you can see what I'm talking about.
  • PARALLAX!!! With the Eotech wherever you see the reticule is where the weapon is going to shoot. That doesn't matter if you are off axis or not. It is almost truly parallax free. The Aimpoint comes close but not quite as much parallax free as the Eotech. This is important for the various shooting positions you may find yourself in like the urban prone. Don't get me wrong Aimpoint still performs in these situations, but in my opinion not quite as well as the Eotech. Your mileage may vary.
  • I run a flattop AR with flip up BUIS (back up iron sights), and I like to co-witness my BUIS with my Eotech reticule. I prefer the simplicity of cowitnessing my Eotech as opposed to an Aimpoint.
So basically those are the reasons why I picked Eotech over Aimpoint. It's best a person develop their own criteria based off the information available. With that being said I respect Aimpoint, and if I had to use one I would and would be confident that it would perform well.

Eotech Cowitness (not my rifle)

Eotech with a cracked window...shows that it will still project the reticle, and since the reticle is parallax free the bullet will still go where the red dot is projected.

55pfmx.jpg

This is actually my Eotech 552 on my rifle. Even though the brightness is cranked up very bright if you were facing the barrel you couldn't see it at all even in total darkeness, that's because the holograph is only projected on the shooter side. I find that to be quite amazing.

400px-EotechFunctionDiagram2.png

This picture shows how the holographic reticule is only viewable to the shooter even in total darkness. This unlike a red dot laser will not give away your position in low light situations.

I'm looking at either the Eotech XPS2-0 or an Aimpoint with a 2 MOA dot. The Aimpoint will run me about $400 while the Eotech will cost about $425. Elderwatsondiggs is there anytype of

glare with the Eotech in bright sunlight? I'm also leaning more towards the Eotech right now because it seems the real door kickers prefer Eotechs by looking at all the pics I've seen.

Originally Posted by AR Guy

I'm looking at either the Eotech XPS2-0 or an Aimpoint with a 2 MOA dot. The Aimpoint will run me about $400 while the Eotech will cost about $425. Elderwatsondiggs is there anytype of

glare with the Eotech in bright sunlight? I'm also leaning more towards the Eotech right now because it seems the real door kickers prefer Eotechs by looking at all the pics I've seen.
AR Guy, Eotechs have a anti glare coating on their glass so they don't necessarily need the honeycomb-like anti-glare filter that Aimpoints have. As far as the reticle goes even in bright sunlight you can crank up the brightness to a level that is still easily seen.

Yeah, the door kickers seem to prefer Eotechs, at least from what I've seen. Uncle Sam has a huge contract with AImpoint, they call it the CCO (Close Combat Optics) so you'll see more of the conventional line units with Aimpoints.

Originally Posted by ElderWatsonDiggs

All I can say is to make sure you know what your AR is chambered for... 5.56 OR .223 . They are similar but not the same. 5.56x45 is Mil-spec and it can handle higher pressures than the .223. So it's %100 safe to shoot .223 ammo in a 5.56 chambered AR but not necessarily safe to shoot 5.56 ammo in a .223 chambered AR. You can usually find that information by looking around the magazine well of your AR...it is most often located around the manufacturers logo.

yeah, it's .223/5.56. i didn't even realize there was a difference between the 2 until i did some research; i thought it was just different designations

Do not try and shoot 5.56 out of a .223 barrel. Vice versa is cool...but not 5.56 out of a .223

^ you have good taste.

couple things to think about. what are you going to do with it? is this going to be a carry piece, or something for the bedstand, or something you want to shoot in matches?

really, decide how much you want to spend. Thatss probably the most important factor.

I was going through and saw EWD has a Kimber, you might want to hit him up for suggestions/info.

I copped a Kimber Stainless Raptor ll for my first handgun. Shoots like a dream and was extremely accurate right out the box.

so i got a glock 22 (issued police weapon)

what would u guys recommend carrying for a duty weapon .40 9mm. or .45????

im leaning towards the glock 21 but i have small hands (never held one yet is it really that big>? no @#!$)

Originally Posted by Xavier

so i got a glock 22 (issued police weapon)

what would u guys recommend carrying for a duty weapon .40 9mm. or .45????

im leaning towards the glock 21 but i have small hands (never held one yet is it really that big>? no @#!$)

isn't the glock 21 a 10mm?

What dept's do you guys work for that you aren't issued service weapons? I mean I would love to be able to choose any weapon as a service pistol, but I just find it weird that they even give you that option.

Here are my two babies... Glock 19 and 26 9mm.

Hey guys, so I'm in the market for a handgun for protection (house got robbed over the weekend, thankfully nobody was home)
I am 5'11 200lbs living in California. I have limited knowledge of weapons, but I have been to shooting ranges before firing .357 mag, .44 mag, and possibly a beretta style weapon maybe a p228 or something along those lines.
So far I am very fond of the 1911 style or beretta style handguns. I think I have also fired a glock, I'm not too sure since I haven't been to a shooting range in well over a year

Where should I be looking for both knowledge and shopping. My price range < 500
Thanks NT

I thinking about getting a Glock 30SF or one of the new Springfield XDM compacts for concealed carry. I had the regular sized XDM but that thing was huge and hard to hide so I sold it.

Back
Top Bottom