Nursing Program

hmm..are you guys just trying to do the program at a CC? Generally only community colleges do the lottery thing. At state schools in california they base it off your GPA and Entrance exam scores. My lady's friend didn't have to wait at all and was accepted this year to a few state schools.

they look at your overall GPA and HESI exam. i know for a fact that you have to have atleast a 3.0 or better @ Mt. Sac (which has one of the best programs in the country). lottery system still in effect, but they cut the program attendance in half due to state budget cuts for this upcoming term.

@ cal state schools like long beach/los angeles/fullerton, it is still impacted but if you have a bachelors, you will get in easier and have a lighter load, focusing on the core nursing classes.

for future nursing students, get a job at a hospital (transport, monitor tech, whatever, just to get your foot in the medical field), you could transfer in house because that is where they are doing most of the hiring...
Originally Posted by jcsellsf

Originally Posted by Ballinsam23

Originally Posted by Mr Anleu

wait are all you dudes? Not there is anything wrong with it but I just haven't so many male nurses.

in california, nurses start at like around $50 an hour. so there are a lot of male nurses out here. aint nothing wrong wit making 100,000 a year
doubt you'll be making 100k a year. you'll work like 3-4 days a week tops for around 10 hours per day. so unless you're physically able to work 6 days a week (if they even give your the days/hours) u wont be making 100k. You do have alot of flexibility with a RN degree though.

40 hours at $50/hour equals 100k a year, not including overtime. nurses get paid bread out here

12 hours x 3 days a week, pick up a part time job @ another hospital, and youll see $100k. after a year of experience and being flexible, youll see significant raises. specialize in for example, the NICU dept, you make even more money. put youself on a registry, and you get paid nearly your double rate...

Depends on which nurse your trying to be. I was in the LVN nursing program, @!%+ is no joke. Decided to quit, and pursue something i love. If your in it for money, your in the wrong direction.

Originally Posted by Ballinsam23

wait are all you dudes? Not there is anything wrong with it but I just haven't so many male nurses.

in california, nurses start at like around $50 an hour. so there are a lot of male nurses out here. aint nothing wrong wit making 100,000 a year
doubt you'll be making 100k a year. you'll work like 3-4 days a week tops for around 10 hours per day. so unless you're physically able to work 6 days a week (if they even give your the days/hours) u wont be making 100k. You do have alot of flexibility with a RN degree though.

40 hours at $50/hour equals 100k a year, not including overtime. nurses get paid bread out here

You're kidding, right? http://www.payscale.com/r...%29/Hourly_Rate/by_State

The median is not over 45 an hour. Where are you getting your numbers from?

My girl is a nurse I know its not easy at alll. Also I asked because yea.......lot of filipino nurses she works with one herself an also the ladies husband is a nurse.

Btw ppl who go for nursing because of the money......that field doesn't need people like you at all. Its not even worth it in my opinion stressful jobs an hours suck, unless ur first shift but still depends on where u work, state an other things are far as pay scale goes.

Originally Posted by Sha77er S7ar I

you know why there isnt a waiting list? it cost $100,000+ for your tenure there, when you could get in at a junior college for $35-$40/unit for two years. whether you have an AA or a BS in nursing, its all the same...  
CO-SIGN!!!!!!!!! There are a couple private colleges like that around my area with nursing programs that cost that ^ much
eek.gif
 and then I also find out that there's STILL a waiting list for it
smh.gif
which is why I'm still sticking with the cheaper CC tuition.

Originally Posted by Sha77er S7ar I

where are you guys from and what school? im still a senior in high school but i already enrolled in this college called westcoast university im already in! no waiting list
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
and i graduate in 3 years 2 months exactly.

you know why there isnt a waiting list? it cost $100,000+ for your tenure there, when you could get in at a junior college for $35-$40/unit for two years. whether you have an AA or a BS in nursing, its all the same...

i know alot of people that choose that route because they didnt want to wait. i spoke with the professors there and they told me that although you are getting a bachelor's, it's no good towards a masters, should you want to pursue one. as far as i know, westcoast university does not have a reputation out in the nursing field, and close friends of mine that just graduated from the LA and OC sites haven't been able to find jobs for the past 3 months. (but that's mostly due to the economy we're in, low census, and over saturation of new grads)

by all means, good luck and best wishes to you, but perspective students should know what they're getting themselves into before committing to it.
It's the same as in your job title, but BSN's do start off with higher pay.  Also if you ever want to go back for a masters to become a nurse practitioner that option is there.

nurses who specialize in anesthesia and other critical matters get paid big dollars.  nurses who clean poop and give sponge showers do not get 100k.............. 50 dollars an hour at 40 hours does not equal 100k your lucky math is not required for nursing. 

nursing is a great field and im glad to see more men break the barrier.

Originally Posted by BgL2687

BSN's do start off with higher pay.  Also if you ever want to go back for a masters to become a nurse practitioner that option is there.
That's definitely true....but since my grades aren't high enough for a BSN right now, I'll have to settle for my ASN.

Real talk, most people I know get into nursing just because of the paycheck and job opportunities.  The reason why the pay is so high and there's job openings is because it's a tough job.  You have a good 4-6 people whose lives are in your hands and one fatal mistake like giving the wrong amount of medicine or not reporting something can cost you your license/career.  You really have to love working with sick people and doing your job.  This is why I'm glad becoming a nurse nowadays is so hard and competitive because there are some people out there who are dumb as hell who just see the paycheck and I would NOT want them taking care of some sick or dying person
smh.gif

If you work hard, have years of experience under your belt, and weasel your way to the top, you can make a lot of money.  Especially if you're an experienced ICU/Oncology/OR nurse.

People are lying if they say they're not in it for the money.  Maybe if they're a nurse in Florida and getting paid $20/hr, they have no choice but to say that.  I get paid that much to coach little league and I didn't slave my way through nursing school for that kind of salary.  These dinosaur nurses need to hurry up and retire so I can get a job. 

P.S. +#$% the NCLEX.  Tired studying for this *$#@.

Got a B.S in BioSci, but i'm Finishing up this last of the pre-Req's so I can apply for the ABSN nursing program which should be !@#@@!! intense.....

Originally Posted by What up

If you work hard, have years of experience under your belt, and weasel your way to the top, you can make a lot of money.  Especially if you're an experienced ICU/Oncology/OR nurse.

People are lying if they say they're not in it for the money.  Maybe if they're a nurse in Florida and getting paid $20/hr, they have no choice but to say that.  I get paid that much to coach little league and I didn't slave my way through nursing school for that kind of salary.  These dinosaur nurses need to hurry up and retire so I can get a job. 

atleast you will be well prepared when the time comes.

Yes it's currently tough to land a job, especially if you are a newly grad. It's all due to the economy/recession. Hospitals need the nurses, but they can't afford it.

But just because it's hard, doesn't mean it's impossible. You might not get the field of nursing you would like in the beginning, but just start off as whatever, get your name in the hospitsl's system, and just wait for other openings

Originally Posted by Rightguard

Originally Posted by What up

atleast you will be well prepared when the time comes.

so true.

Originally Posted by iamxtian

Originally Posted by filipin0y

Originally Posted by TheeQuickness

Originally Posted by filipin0y

where are you guys from and what school? im still a senior in high school but i already enrolled in this college called westcoast university
pimp.gif
im already in! no waiting list
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
and i graduate in 3 years 2 months exactly.

My friend goes there. She's dying. Don't think its an easy program, because it is extremely rigorous. She quit her job, and is studying 6-8 hours a day at least coming home from class. It's no joke. Good luck man

i am very well aware of that. you think id join this school without knowing the complete schedule?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
my friend goes there and hes having an alright time. the first year is only 3 to 4 days a week, and yeah it is 6-8 hours of studying. its just when it gets to the clinical its gonna be a pain in the +@#. but every school you go to for nursing will have to go through the clinical anyways.
was thinking of going to westcoast but wasn't too thrilled about the 136k bill. Plus i heard the clinical experience is wack, but to each their own...
the bill was only a lill over 100k i think? but im gonna get a gang of financial aid since my dad passed. and isnt clinical the same at every nursing program? clinical is clinical right?

Just got a letter about my application to radiology. basically after this spring semester, if I get a C, I will be put on the waiting list
ohwell.gif
Good luck to everyone applying.

$50 an hour? Are you kidding me? I wonder how much they get in MA

Just a question. Why do you guys wanna be nurses? Is it just for the money?

It's more than the money bro... it's leisure, it's opportunities, it's a lot of other things.

I was actually pursuing to be a Correction Officer then transfer out to work for City (LVMPD). I was majoring in Law Enforcement/Criminal Justice.

But after a lot of thought into it, with other things in mind in the future, it doesn't equal up to what I want. The opportunities in Medical Field, it literally is unbelievable. The true definition of hard work and motivation.

Back
Top Bottom