Off-White x Air Jordan Thread - Rest In Peace Virgil Abloh

0E2E7172-6756-4BCF-9A03-C66E357AF64A.jpeg
735EF032-371A-49A1-ABE4-CAC19FE60FF2.jpeg

Had to break out my OG Prestos for work today, it was only right.

i learned my lesson from kobe's passing that its not worth it trying to pay extra high for a pair of shoes that was significantly lower before the tragedy. I was away at a destination wedding when the Chaos 5's dropped and when I came back, he had just passed and the shoes shot up more than double.

For the 2's, I had a low bid on them because I was waiting till after all my holiday shopping was done first before I go pay the resale. Prices is obviously triple/quadruple the price as last week. I'm gonna do what I did with the Kobe's and watch from afar and enjoy the ones that I do have. I have kept all my OW's so far since release date.
vino. end of 2022, they're gonna release the Jordan 2s in retro fashion similar to the 85s. might not be a perfect retro, but its gonna happen. this is just to entice some of the younger kids on the hype train. with his unfortunate passing, kids get extra wild.

I let go of my OW Chicago’s. Made a couple racks on those. The UNCs I’ve worn prob like 5x I think I’ll keep forever. Hit those off Snkrs. I’ve gotten 3 OW Js off Snkrs and they mean more.

As much as people are caught up in the moment of Virgil's passing, I dont see the off white brand having a long lasting impact.

His contributions to fashion and nike are duly noted, but people are on to the next relatively quickly nowadays. I'll check back in a year to see if this post rings true with prices of his work on the secondary market.

TLDR - if you're selling you should strike while the irons hot... the frenzy might not last long

TLDR - if you're selling you should strike while the irons hot... the frenzy might not last long
Chi 1s were going for 10500 last night and now 8800. Who knows where they end up. If there is a big funeral and documentary on his life in a couple years prices will go up. They could be like a Picasso. Idk. I think his influence on Snkrs has been so dramatic, look at how the amm3 has premium and the 1 has aged sole add open flaps. As dope as the OW1 is the Union 1s are totally underrated in comparison. Still, Virgil made imo the best sneaker ever with what he did to the 1. Totally blew my mind when I first saw them.

vino. end of 2022, they're gonna release the Jordan 2s in retro fashion similar to the 85s. might not be a perfect retro, but its gonna happen. this is just to entice some of the younger kids on the hype train. with his unfortunate passing, kids get extra wild.

Yeah I think Chi 2s will be a huge problem since they’re the one pair of 2s even people who otherwise HATE 2s would cop. This is before even considering any of the hype that would be built leading up to the release.

Chi 1s were going for 10500 last night and now 8800. Who knows where they end up. If there is a big funeral and documentary on his life in a couple years prices will go up. They could be like a Picasso. Idk. I think his influence on Snkrs has been so dramatic, look at how the amm3 has premium and the 1 has aged sole add open flaps. As dope as the OW1 is the Union 1s are totally underrated in comparison. Still, Virgil made imo the best sneaker ever with what he did to the 1. Totally blew my mind when I first saw them.

You’re absolutely correct. You’re still seeing the exposed foam and deconstructed-look aesthetic he popularized 4+ years ago being implemented on a lot of designs today, even outside Nike/JB.

Tbh, Nike/JB are in a bad place with their top collaborators since, in the past month, Travis has basically been cancelled for the near future, Sacai has seemingly lost all of its hype (even the Kaws blazer low collab isn’t really reselling for much), and Virgil is now dead.

I know most ppl would probably agree with me here but I’d love to see them go back to their roots and release more OG cws in larger quantities.

As for Kanye, I think you’re undervaluing his appeal. The dude has made billions selling Yeezy and he still has a ton of appeal especially to younger kids. Hell, it seems like he could be more well known by his shoes than he is about his music, which is insane given how successful he is with his music. Nobody else has made a new model in the past 5-6 years as influential in terms of design as the 350s. That said, Kanye is crazy and could totally also tank his own brand value so that’s always possible lol
LOL He definitely could tank his own value. My only other point was, his shoes' popularity already seems to have chilled a bit. Kids who aren't born yet now ... are they really going to look back at that guy (who'll be in his 60s by then) and think, oh yeah I need to be a part of that legacy? I dunno, you could be right, it could happen. But the future of the Yeezy line seems far less assured than the future of JB, at least to me.

I think the vintage look only hit because the 80s-90s is big right now as far as fashion trends. Once that trend is over these vintage-looking sneakers may be over.

Nike tried the vintage look before on Dunks and it didn't work because the trends weren't going that way.

Eventually the 2000s will be vintage and people wont want 80s-90s looking shoes.

LOL He definitely could tank his own value. My only other point was, his shoes' popularity already seems to have chilled a bit. Kids who aren't born yet now ... are they really going to look back at that guy (who'll be in his 60s by then) and think, oh yeah I need to be a part of that legacy? I dunno, you could be right, it could happen. But the future of the Yeezy line seems far less assured than the future of JB, at least to me.

I mean his shoes still sell out and resell quite a bit (esp 700s). MJ also has a 30 year headstart vs Yeezy (as a brand) so Js have become far more normalized. To bring it back though, do most kids who wear Js even know much about MJ? I bet there are tons of kids who wear Js who were born after he retired from the Wizards in 2003 lol If anything, that speaks volumes to the impact the brand and models have on streetwear/sneaker culture. I think Yeezy also has an impact since Nike/JB have long proved they simply can’t produce new models that have a lasting impact outside of performance. I have no idea why this is given their marketshare/resources but it seems to be the case for whatever reason. Ironically, I think they’ve given up this “non-retro” casual wear market to brands like Adidas/Yeezy and New Balance since Nike’s own offerings in these categories seem to come and go (usually to rot at outlets, etc.).

All apologies for the Bible of text and I know most of this is OT haha

I mean his shoes still sell out and resell quite a bit (esp 700s). MJ also has a 30 year headstart vs Yeezy (as a brand) so Js have become far more normalized. To bring it back though, do most kids who wear Js even know much about MJ? I bet there are tons of kids who wear Js who were born after he retired from the Wizards in 2003 lol If anything, that speaks volumes to the impact the brand and models have on streetwear/sneaker culture. I think Yeezy also has an impact since Nike/JB have long proved they simply can’t produce new models that have a lasting impact outside of performance. I have no idea why this is given their marketshare/resources but it seems to be the case for whatever reason. Ironically, I think they’ve given up this “non-retro” casual wear market to brands like Adidas/Yeezy and New Balance since Nike’s own offerings in these categories seem to come and go (usually to rot at outlets, etc.).

All apologies for the Bible of text and I know most of this is OT haha
We're saying basically the same things, just perhaps I'm more skeptical of Yeezy's lasting appeal. And by "lasting," I'm talking about 20 years from now, not two or five years. Yeah, loads of people now wear Js who never saw Mike play. But they know he's the greatest of all time and if they want to go back and watch the guy, they can. And it's still mind blowing. MJ endures because of the game, and his game. Kanye is almost like a cartoon at this point. All I'm saying is, there's way more of a chance that kids in 20 years will look at Kanye as some old guy who was a complete clown. But it's also possible the "Yeezy" brand by then will be just as big on the strength of the brand, regardless of Kanye himself. Quote this post back to me in 2042 and we'll see where we are LOL

We're saying basically the same things, just perhaps I'm more skeptical of Yeezy's lasting appeal. And by "lasting," I'm talking about 20 years from now, not two or five years. Yeah, loads of people now wear Js who never saw Mike play. But they know he's the greatest of all time and if they want to go back and watch the guy, they can. And it's still mind blowing. MJ endures because of the game, and his game. Kanye is almost like a cartoon at this point. All I'm saying is, there's way more of a chance that kids in 20 years will look at Kanye as some old guy who was a complete clown. But it's also possible the "Yeezy" brand by then will be just as big on the strength of the brand, regardless of Kanye himself. Quote this post back to me in 2042 and we'll see where we are LOL
I could be wrong, but I don’t think Kanye’s appeal will last long term. Not to mention his Adidas stuff is ugly. He had some black boots on at the Lakers game that looked like 🗑

I wonder if NIKE will still release his Air Force mids? Or black cement 4

which would probably be his last design?

Back
Top Bottom