Offical 2009-10 NBA Season Thread

everyone who has faith in odom doing work night in and night out raise there hand

anyone?

anyone?

thats why you dont trade bynum

And since all 3 are locked up for at least 3 more years, you'd be foolish to move one (and the youngest one at that) when you don't have too. 

And as for our point guard "weakness" you don't think a point guard or two will want to come play in LA at some point in the near future?  Even at 2-3-4 million. 

......missing rebounds on purpose trying to help him get a triple double
smh.gif

These 3 games LA won are nice, but also a tad overrated. 

Won in Portland with no Roy, Oden, Pryz, or Outlaw.  (although, we were coming in second of a back to back)
Beat an old bum filled Spurs team at home
Beat the Jazz on the second of their own back to back.  They got in at what, 2 in the morning or so?  Missed a ton of free throws/easy shots etc etc. 

I'm glad we got the wins, and won impressively even, but take the individual games themselves with a grain of salt.  We still have a lot of work to do. 

Only 28 games left in the regular season or so. 
eek.gif
pimp.gif

It was still snowing around 10pm in NYC and NJ and the roads were atrocious, I'm surprised 1,000 people showed up.

http://[h3]
[h3]Bynum may need an injection[/h3]
10:06AM ET

[h5]Andrew Bynum | Lakers [/h5]

Andrew Bynum's bruised right hip is hurting so bad that he might have a cortisone injection and his bursa sac drained next week.

"I'm thinking about it," Bynum told the Los Angeles Times. "But I'm not trying to sit out too much longer. So if that's the only alternative, that's something I'm looking into."

"I feel it every time I run," Bynum added. "But when I walk on my toes, it's a little less. But when you do a heel-strike, it's right on there."

http://[h3]Odom to replace Bynum?[/h3]
9:12AM ET

[h5]Lamar Odom | Lakers [/h5]

Lamar Odom has been part of the starting unit since Kobe Bryant went out with a sprained ankle and that may continue. The Lakers coaching staff is contemplating making Odom the starting power forward, moving Pau Gasol to center and having Andrew Bynum come off the bench.

"My coaches are kind of pushing me in that direction, but I'm not ready yet to do that," Lakers head coach Phil Jackson told The Orange County Register. "We won last year with Andrew when he came back at the end of the season, going out there and playing the first quarter and starting the games. Even though he wasn't 100 percent when came back off his injury last year, he still gave us a lot; he gives us a big front. So I have to measure that and see what's going to happen with this team in the next couple weeks."

"It doesn't matter," Odom said. "Honestly, it doesn't matter, because I'm about moving forward, getting better individually and as a team. Whatever they decide to do."

http://[h3]Drama on the way?[/h3]
9:00AM ET

[h5]Al Harrington | Knicks [/h5]

The Knicks are actively making trade proposals around the NBA and their main target is Houston's Tracy McGrady.

Frank Isola of the New York Daily News thinks it's important the Knicks trade Al Harrington since he is part of a lot of scenarios.

Isola writes: "Harrington is aware -- and not pleased -- with the fact that Mike D'Antoni is eager to trade him. If Harrington isn't traded by next Thursday's deadline, the last six weeks of the season could result in unwanted drama inside the locker room."

http://[h3]Pitino wants to coach the Nets?[/h3]
8:28AM ET

[h5]New Jersey Nets [/h5]

A source close to Rick Pitino tells the New York Daily News that the Louisville head coach wants to be considered as a candidate to coach the http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=njnNew Jersey Nets.

According to the newspaper, intermediaries recently contacted Nets president Rod Thorn on his behalf. Thorn has not spoken to Pitino and Pitino's people insist that "no direct contact" was made between him and the Nets.

"Pitino is interested in the job," a high-ranking Nets official told the newspaper.

http://[h3]Trades not on Hinrich's mind[/h3]
8:13AM ET

[h5]Kirk Hinrich | Bulls [/h5]

Kirk Hinrich is another member of the rumor mill and tries to ignore all the speculation. He once again says that he wants to remain with the Bulls.

"I don't read anything; I don't really look at any of the Web sites that throw out rumors," Hinrich told the Chicago Sun-Times. "Really, the only time I hear about it is if a friend or family members ask me about it, or someone on the street."

"I would prefer to stay here," Hinrich added. "It's been a lot of fun this last month or so. Guys have been playing hard; we've been competing. But I really don't think about it. It's one of those things I can't control. I try not to dwell on it, really."

http://[h3]Colangelo to Nets quashed[/h3]
7:20AM ET

[h5]Toronto Raptors [/h5]

Mikhail Prokhorov may have been eyeing Raptors president and general manager Byran Colangelo to run the New Jersey Nets beginning next season, but that's not an option.

Richard Peddie, the Raptors CEO says the team will not void the 2010-11 option on Colangelo and a decision to retain Colangelo was recently made by the board of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment.

"Bryan knows he's coming back, and he's going to be our general manager through the remainder of this year and next season. That's official," Peddie told the Toronto Star.

Said Colangelo: "I'm very pleased that that's the decision that's been made. And I'm thankful to the board for their vote of confidence. I've expressed my commitment to this city and this franchise and the fans, and hope it's an even longer-term scenario in the future. For now, to take this step ... I'm very pleased."

http://[h3]Z not worried about trade rumors[/h3]
7:05AM ET

[h5]Zydrunas Ilgauskas | Cavaliers [/h5]

Zydrunas Ilgauskas knows his name is part of the rumor mill since he has a large expiring contract, but he's not worried about next week's trade deadline.

"I want to be here, but we have to wait and see," Ilgausksas told The Plain Dealer Wednesday. "I don't know anything. I've got two kids at home. I've got enough stuff to worry about."

http://[h3]Rehab on schedule[/h3]
6:49AM ET

[h5]Chris Paul | Hornets [/h5]

It's been a week since Chris Paul had surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his left. Paul spoke to the media yesterday and says his recovery will remain on schedule.

"This is tough, but this is something I've got to do," Paul told The Times-Picayune. "Rehab is tough because some days it feels like it's getting better, and some days it feels like it could go the other way. I've just got to stay with it and keep doing everything that I have to do with it to get back on the court."

Paul won't play until he's 100 percent.

"That's the point of doing rehab," Paul said. "This isn't my first time (this season). When I came back from the ankle injury, they won't let me play unless I can -- and I wouldn't do that to myself."

http://[h3]Pritchard conflicted[/h3]
6:34AM ET

[h5]Portland Trail Blazers [/h5]

Kevin Pritchard considers this to be the most unique trading-deadline he has been part of as Portland's general manager. He wants to make a deal to help the injury-ravaged team, but he must also take a long-view as he puts together the Blazers for the future. Odds are Pritchard will let Jan. 18 pass without making a trade.

"There are things I would like to do," Pritchard told The Oregonian. "But it comes down to what we have to give up. I'm torn with that all the time. There are deals that could be done today, but it goes back to that thing: We're going to give two, three, four players for one. I know those players mean more to us than that trade."

"You have to be willing to give up something and lose it for nothing," Pritchard added. "That's high-risk poker is what that is. And that's exactly the conundrum we are going through. We are going to be faced with something that's going to say we will potentially lose a couple of players forever for somebody we will have for 26 games. ... I want to shove my chips in. The question is, is it now? Because at the end of the day it's not about making the eighth seed. What it is about is having the ability to win playoff series and competing for championship. If you start every decision making process with that statement, then things become clear."

http://[h3]Smith not looking to rent[/h3]
5:53AM ET

[h5]Orlando Magic [/h5]

The Orlando Magic are hoping to get back to the NBA Finals, however they won't trade for a star like Chris Bosh or Carlos Boozer because they're in the final year of their contract and could sign with another team in the summer.

"The only way you think about that is if you have injuries," general manager Otis Smith told the Orlando Sentinel.

According to the newspaper, Smith reiterated Wednesday that he isn't planning on making any trades.

http://[h3]Beasley prefers to stay in Miami[/h3]
5:37AM ET

[h5]Michael Beasley | Heat [/h5]

Michael Beasley would most likely be part of any deal if the Miami Heat get Amare Stoudemire from the Phoenix Suns. Beasley said yesterday that he doesn't want to be traded.

"If they decide to trade me, I don't want to go," Beasley told The Miami Herald. "Amare's a great player, so you understand whatever happens. You understand that it's a business. You just have to focus on your job."

Beasley has not been told by the Heat or his agent, Jeff Schwartz, that he's being shopped.

"I haven't heard anything from anybody," Beasley said. "So I'm not really thinking about it. If I get traded, I'm going to miss some of my teammates. But I'm going to play wherever I'm at. I'm going to handle my business."

http://[h3]Rockets looking long-term[/h3]
5:08AM ET

[h5]Houston Rockets [/h5]

Tracy McGrady's days as a member of the Houston Rockets are coming to an end, either by a trade or a buyout. There's a lot of speculation about potential deals and the Rockets are willing to make a trade since they're still in the playoff chase, but only if it helps long-term.

"If we were on pace, like everyone expected, to win 30-something games, that would have changed where we look at ourselves," Rockets general manager Daryl Morey tells the Houston Chronicle. "Where we are definitely impacts things. We're hoping to help this season if we can. Our main goal is still to position ourselves to be a title contender sometime in the future. If it takes multiple steps going into next year, we'll do that."

A three-team trade with New York and Washington was floated yesterday, however the Rockets will look at all the possibilities before deciding what they want to do with McGrady.

http://[h3]Cuban looking for a fix[/h3]
4:39AM ET

[h5]Dallas Mavericks [/h5]

The Dallas Mavericks have been struggling lately and owner Mark Cuban admits he's willing to make a deal, however he won't do anything just to make a trade. Cuban's goal is to do something big now, or in the offseason.

"There's a fix," Cuban told The Dallas Morning News, "and then there's doing something to do something. If it's an opportunity that we thought would only be available to us in the summer, then we'll grab it. If somebody says, 'We don't want to take the risk in the summer, we'll do it now.' Come on. We'll look at it. But we're not going to do something to shuffle the deck chairs. That doesn't help us at all."

"The phones are ringing. And we're answering the phone," Cuban added. "We're not out there trying to force anything down anybody's throats. But everybody knows we're always ready, willing and able. It's not like people don't know our number."
[/h3]

I don't know what made the Kings think they could guard him with single coverage.
laugh.gif

Dirk? Maybe 2 months ago. No power forward on this planet is playing better ball that Bosh.

Never been the biggest Bosh fan, but he's been playing out of control all season. Starting to sway my opinion on him. Bargnani too. Toronto/Boston should be an interesting 1st round match up.

[h2]
[h2]Trade Buzz: 5 deals that make sense[/h2]
By Chad Ford
ESPN.com
Archive

P.A. Molumby/NBAE/Getty ImagesWhere could Amare Stoudemire and others land before next week's deadline? Let's fire up the Trade Machine!

The NBA trade deadline is one week away, and we're in the proverbial calm before the storm. While trade discussions continue around the league, most GMs are frustrated. Deal parameters remain vague, with teams still overvaluing their assets and undervaluing the assets of others.

As we've seen in past seasons, one big trade can have a domino effect on others. It tends to narrow the options, focus the discussion and turn up the pressure on teams to make moves.

Given the gridlock, perhaps some fresh ideas will help. In that spirit, here are five hypothetical trades that I think could and should happen. While none of these trades have been specifically discussed, to my knowledge, all of them include teams looking to deal and players on the market.

[h4]TRADE MACHINE[/h4]
ESPN.com's Trade Machine breaks down the proposed deal here.
[h3]1. Heat-Suns-Bobcats[/h3]

Miami gets: Amare Stoudemire (from Phoenix), Acie Law (from Charlotte), Stephen Graham (from Charlotte), Ronald Murray (from Charlotte)

Phoenix gets: Michael Beasley (from Miami), .J. Augustin (from Charlotte), James Jones (from Miami), Dorell Wright (from Miami)

Charlotte gets: Udonis Haslem (from Miami), Daequan Cook (from Miami)

Would Miami do it?
The word out of Miami is that the Heat have been pushing to make a deal. While Miami is considered a potential destination for LeBron James and Chris Bosh this summer if the two become free agents, the danger with doing nothing now is that Dwyane Wade might walk if the team fails to get James, Bosh or another top player or two.

This trade would set up the Heat to go in a couple of directions:

(1) It could be a pre-emptive strike on the free-agent market and still provide the salary-cap space to sign another free agent or two in addition to Stoudemire. If Stoudemire were to opt out of his contract and re-sign with the Heat for a contract starting at $13 million to $15 million, the Heat would still be able to sign one max-level player, such as LeBron James, or a couple of players with a starting salary of $8 million to $10 million.

(2) If Stoudemire were to opt out and leave, the Heat, thanks to this trade, would have enough cap room to sign two max-level free agents, such as James and Bosh.

One dangerous scenario is that Stoudemire could decide not to opt out of his contract, leaving the Heat with more limited resources in the 2010 free-agency market. And of course, they'd be giving up on Beasley, a potent scorer who just turned 21.

Would Phoenix do it?
The Suns have been shopping Stoudemire but want more than just cap relief -- they want assets. This deal would provide a little of both.

Beasley is an athletic 4 who should be able to put up similar numbers to Amare in the Suns' run-and-gun system, or perhaps even better numbers, given the rebounding prowess he showed in college. The Suns would also get Augustin, a young point guard they could groom to eventually take over for Nash. Jones should be able to step right back into the system he left in 2007, and if he doesn't work out, his 2010-11 contract is only partially guaranteed. Wright has upside, and his contract is expiring, giving the Suns options with him, as well.

While I believe the Suns would prefer to add Andre Iguodala and Samuel Dalembert, this might be a better, more affordable deal for them in the long run.

Would Charlotte do it? Augustin has had a disappointing season and fallen out of favor with Charlotte coach Larry Brown. And the Bobcats have been active on the trade market, looking for a power forward who can rebound and defend; Haslem would fit the bill and he's in the last year of his contract. While Cook hasn't become the player the Heat hoped he would, he could see some minutes at the 2 for the Bobcats.

[h4]TRADE MACHINE[/h4]
[h3]2. Pistons-Jazz-Mavs[/h3]

Detroit gets: Carlos Boozer (from Utah), Josh Howard (from Dallas), Matt Carroll (from Dallas)

Utah gets: Tayshaun Prince (from Detroit)

Dallas gets: Richard Hamilton (from Detroit), Kwame Brown (from Detroit)

Would Detroit do it?
Yes. The Pistons want to move Prince, but not for expiring contracts -- they want a big man back. The Pistons flirted with the idea of spending their cap space last summer on Boozer, but they started looking in other directions and Boozer decided to stay in Utah. But he would be an ideal addition, assuming he would re-sign with Detroit this summer, now that the team's lack of interior talent has been exposed.

The Dallas part of the equation could happen separately -- to execute a Prince-for-Boozer swap, the Pistons don't need the Mavs. But in any case, moving Hamilton for Howard, who has a nonguaranteed contract for 2010-11, would work well for the Pistons, for whom Hamilton's contract has become an albatross. This trade would give them the opportunity to pursue a free agent this summer. And while they would be reluctant to swallow the three years remaining on Carroll's contract, that's also the length of Hamilton's contract, which they would be shedding.

Would Utah do it?
That's less clear. Jazz GM Kevin O'Connor has rebuffed offers for Boozer that would give the Jazz only cap space, since Boozer himself has an expiring contract. Of course, that means that few teams are willing to give up a lot for Boozer, who could walk away this summer.

The Jazz like Prince, but he has another year on his contract at $11 million, he's been hurt this season and his effectiveness has declined. Still, he's a long, athletic wing who can defend and doesn't need the ball to thrive.

At the moment, the Jazz look like contenders in the West. Will they mess with a good thing? I think it's a 50-50 proposition at this point.

Would Dallas do it?
The Mavs would trade Howard, but they'd prefer to get someone younger than Hamilton in return. They've looked at Kevin Martin, Caron Butler and Andre Iguodala, but so far the Kings, Wizards and 76ers don't want to give up those players for mere cap relief. But Dallas doesn't have its first-round pick this year and owner Mark Cuban has said he's not trading rookie point guard Rodrigue Beaubois -- and the Mavs don't have much else to offer in terms of inexpensive assets. So Hamilton might be the best they can do.

His contract is ugly -- he has $34 million in guaranteed money owed to him over the next three seasons after this one. At the same time, the Mavs would be ridding themselves of the remaining $12 million due Carroll over the next three seasons. Looking at it that way, Dallas would be getting Hamilton for about $7.5 million per year for the next three seasons. While that's not a bargain, he would help them offensively, stepping in as the starting 2-guard and providing another veteran shooter in the backcourt.

[h4]TRADE MACHINE[/h4]
[h3]3. Bulls-Spurs[/h3]

Chicago gets: Matt Bonner, Roger Mason, Michael Finley, draft rights to Tiago Splitter

San Antonio gets: John Salmons, Tyrus Thomas

Would Chicago do it?
On the surface, it might seem that the Bulls would get killed in this deal because the Spurs would be getting the two best players in the trade.

But the Bulls have good reason to move Salmons and Thomas, neither of whom is in the team's long-term plans: The Bulls want the cap space such a trade would provide. Chicago can set itself up to be a serious player in free agency this summer, given the appeal of the market and the foundation of Derrick Rose, Luol Deng and Joakim Noah.

Bonner and Mason, who have expiring contracts, could contribute this season, and Splitter is a good prospect who could come in and help the Bulls in the middle next season. As a former first-round draft pick who has established himself in Europe, he might fit the bill if the Bulls are looking to get talent and/or picks in return for Thomas.

And then, if they can pull off trade No. 4 (see below), the Bulls could be in great position going into the summer shopping season. Chicago could be an attractive destination for the likes of James, Wade and Bosh or, at worst, players like Joe Johnson and David Lee.

Would San Antonio do it?
Maybe. The team needs immediate help, as they get older and fall behind the rest of the West. Both Salmons and Thomas would give the Spurs some younger legs, with Salmons also providing offensive punch and Thomas some defense and rebounding.

Thomas' problems in getting along with his coaches have been well-documented, but perhaps he would respond better to a coach like Gregg Popovich and a veteran team led by Tim Duncan. If so, Thomas could become a huge asset to the Spurs over the long haul.

The Spurs rarely make trades like this, but I can't think of a better one for them right now.

[h4]TRADE MACHINE[/h4]
[h3]4. Lakers-Bulls[/h3]

Chicago gets: Jordan Farmar, Adam Morrison, Josh Powell

Los Angeles gets: Kirk Hinrich

Would the Bulls do it?
John Paxson has been reluctant to give away Hinrich even though he's been in a funk since Derrick Rose arrived. But the time to move him is now. The team would be much better off next summer with the extra cap space, and Farmar would be a serviceable back-up for Rose in the meantime.

If Chicago could pull off this trade and the one above, it would be very much in the running for the top free agents this summer, with perhaps only Miami as well-positioned to enter the market.

Would Los Angeles do it?
Derek Fisher is struggling, Farmar hasn't progressed as the Lakers hoped, and Shannon Brown isn't really a point guard. So the Lakers need an upgrade at point guard and they don't have a lot of good options.

Hinrich might not be ideal, given his protracted offensive slump and sizable contract, but he is a smart player who should be a good fit in the triangle, and he can defend. And who else could the Lakers get? Look around the league and you'll see there doesn't appear to be a good trade partner for the Lakers other than Chicago. The other available point guards -- including Luke Ridnour, Chris Duhon, Ramon Sessions and T.J. Ford -- wouldn't fit as well as Hinrich.

The major concern about Hinrich appears to be the additional two years and $17 million on his contract after this season, which is a lot for a tax-paying team to take on. But are the Lakers really that strapped for cash? Even with the largest payroll in the league, they're still turning a profit.

[h4]TRADE MACHINE[/h4]
[h3]5. Clippers-76ers[/h3]

Los Angeles gets: Andre Iguodala, Samuel Dalembert

Philadelphia gets: Marcus Camby, Al Thornton, DeAndre Jordan, Rasual Butler, Mardy Collins, Ricky Davis

Would Los Angeles do it?
The Clippers could just let Camby walk, get under the salary cap, and then attempt to clear more cap space to get a max free agent. Furthermore, as Bill Simmons, J.A. Adande and I have said, the Clippers, on paper, would be a great fit for LeBron James. But that appears to be the furthest thing from LeBron's mind, and the team seems to know it, as general manager Mike Dunleavy continues to talk about making a trade now rather than waiting to see what happens in free agency.

Given that, adding Iguodala and Dalembert might be about as good as it gets for the Clips. Iguodala, in particular, would be a perfect fit as an athletic, multifaceted wing player who can handle the ball or thrive without it while defending at least two positions. Dalembert would be a nice one-year replacement for Camby as an athletic shot-blocker and rebounder to back up Chris Kaman.

The Clippers could become quite a factor in the West in 2010-11, with Iguodala running alongside Baron Davis, Eric Gordon, Kaman and presumably a healthy Blake Griffin.

Would Philadelphia do it?
While the 76ers are looking to move their big contracts, they also want assets in return. In this case, they would get both cap relief and talent.

Thornton and Jordan could step in and help, now and down the road, and this trade would also knock an enormous amount of money off the payroll this summer when the contracts of Camby, Butler, Davis and Collins expire.

To make this deal work, the Sixers would have to waive three players from their current roster to accommodate the extra four players that are coming in the trade, but that's not impossible. They have a number of players with small, one-year deals they could waive.
[/h2]

Seems like I hear the same @#$% every year from Pritchard. 

Dudes gonna be in their 30's and he'll still be holdin onto them, "lookin towards the future".  
laugh.gif

Naw, I'll pass on Hinrich, and stick with Farmar.  As much as Laker fans hate the kid, I'm ok with him.  He's one of the few players I've seen play for the Lakers that doesn't give a crap if Kobe wants the ball, he's gonna take it himself and do somethin.  Sure he has lapses every once in a while, but so does Odom, or Artest, or Bynum, etc etc etc. 

I still think Farmar figures it out at some point in this league and does well for himself.  Not all star type or anything, but he can have a career similar to what Derek Fisher has had.  Starter for a decade, nothing special, just solid overall play, maybe a clutch shot or two along the way. 

Exciting times with the trade deadline approaching. I really hope the Rockets buy out T-Mac's contract so he can sign with a contender and not the Knicks.

I just saw the highlights from last night.. How the hell didnt they call a travel on Marvin Williams on that fast break dunk
laugh.gif

Not sure if this has been stated before but I heard on the radio that the Nets are having a promotional offer for one of the fans to coach an entire game this season.... what the hell is going on?!?! That would be crazy like Whoopi in Eddie. 4-48 FTL

This Morey guy is an %!*

What value does he think TMac has? And he wants Caron Butler and Jordan Hill for him? Not to mention possibly ...Top 5-10 [emoji]169[/emoji]

Not sure if this has beenstated before but I heard on the radio that the Nets are having apromotional offer for one of the fans to coach an entire game thisseason...

No way in hell this is true...if so,
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Now that I think about, this might have legs considering this is the franchise that came up with the promotional reversible jersey idea.
laugh.gif
smh.gif

Originally Posted by EnEyeKayEe

Not sure if this has beenstated before but I heard on the radio that the Nets are having apromotional offer for one of the fans to coach an entire game thisseason...
No way in hell this is true...if so,
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Now that I think about, this might have legs considering this is the franchise that came up with the promotional reversible jersey idea.
laugh.gif
smh.gif

Jim Rome was burning them over it haha, hope it's true, I want to see that game

Originally Posted by NoReasonableDoubt

Not sure if this has been stated before but I heard on the radio that the Nets are having a promotional offer for one of the fans to coach an entire game this season.... what the hell is going on?!?! That would be crazy like Whoopi in Eddie. 4-48 FTL
roll.gif
no way that's true

Nets taking advice from Whoopi Goldberg movies

Back
Top Bottom