Offical 2009-10 NBA Season Thread

Phoenix wants picks and players for the future right? Which one of those does Cleveland possess? Cleveland would be smart to go after Murphy...

Originally Posted by Proshares

Phoenix wants picks and players for the future right? Which one of those does Cleveland possess? Cleveland would be smart to go after Murphy...

pimp.gif
 troy murphy on the cavs would be sick....that fool can shoot 

Chad FordGotta run everyone. Lots of stuff for you to check out today. Our Lottery Mock Draft Machine is Up. So is a draft article on what each lottery team would do with the No. 1 pick. And there's an updated NBA Draft Stock watch. Lots to see ...see you next week.

Chad FordThanks for the question Bill. I like how you've begun ranking guys based on one game. Is that why you were so high on Adam Morrison? Aldrich has been great the last 2 games. Before that ... not so much. He's seemed a little lost this year. Nevertheless, he's No. 6 on our Big Board -- in other words I have him ranked as the sixth best prospect in the World. So yeah, obviously I hate him.

sportsguy33 (LAX)You never write about Cole Aldrich, why don't you like white people?

Chad FordWall is in a tier by himself. I'd put Turner and Favors in tier 2, though Favors might slip out of it. Wesley Johnson, Ed Davis, Al Farouq Aminu make up Tier 3. Maybe I'd put Cole Aldrich in Tier 3 too. Ditto for DeMarcus Cousins.

Glen ('Sota)Chad, do you think at this point its tier 1, Wall, tier 2 Turner, then a 3rd tier of 5 or so prospects in the 2010 Draft?

Chad FordLate lottery to mid first

Reg (Bklyn, NY)Where will Eric Bledsoe land in the draft?

Chad FordLate first to early second

Joe (New York)Where do you see Sherron Collins going in the draft?

Chad FordNo. I just don't know what to do with you. A very skilled big man with underwhelming athleticism and a motor that only revs high on occasion. That scares scouts. Really think Monroe needs to work on his explosiveness and play hard every night before he thinks about the draft.

Greg Monroe (Gtown)Did you forget about me?

Chad FordI don't know. It was the toughest scenario I had to deal with. I do think they could play together, but they could trade the No. 1 and get a substantial haul in return or, I guess they could trade Paul. But as much as I love Wall as a prospect, I'm not sure he's Chris Paul.

Carl (England)Using the mock draft/lottery tool and with a 0.6% chance the Hornets came first and took John Wall. Tell me, if this happens...do the Hornets get rid of Chris Paul?

Chad FordHe's very good. But his age (he's already 22) and the fact that he doesn't quite possess a killer instinct hurt him a bit. He'll go somewhere between 2 and 6.

JD (VA)Did you catch Wesley Johnson last night? He was everywhere, offensively and defensively. Why isn't he the undisputed #2 in this draft?

Chad FordLottery

paul (minnesota)where do you think cousins and patterson will land in this year's draft??

Chad FordNot completely ... but yes for this season. He needs to go back to school for his sophomore year.

Todd (Lexington)John Henson has been non existant for UNC so far have scouts turned their back on him yet?

Chad FordI'm talking to either execs or scouts from each team and trying to get their order. Now, it's early and undoubtedly the order will change. When it does, we'll update the mock draft. If I can't get a feel from a team, I try to make my own determination based on Big Board + team needs. But for the most part, the Mock Draft is reported piece, especially with the top teams.

Rich (Portland)How do you determine which players go where in your mock draft?

Chad FordYes. Based on his play this year he'd probably be Top 10. But given his history, that will hurt his draft stock a little unless teams are convinced that he's grown up.

Joe (CT)Any chance of Stanley Robinson being a late-lottery pick in this year's draft?

Chad FordHe's a better basketball player right now. But he doesn't have Wall's crazy athleticism and therefore lacks the same upside. But Turner has been incredible this year and will go very, very high (2 to 4) on draft night.

Jon (DC)Hi Chad. I think Evan Turner is going to be a better NBA player than John Wall. Am I crazy?

Chad FordAll year we've been saying Derrick Favors. I still think Favors is a great prospect, but he hasn't been great this season. Most of it is his team's fault, not Favors. But still, he's not dominating the way we thought he would. I think that leaves an opening for Evan Turner, who, in my opinion, is the hands down college player of the year. He feels like the second coming of Brandon Roy to me. I think a handful of lottery teams would take him ahead of Wall.

Chad FordUmmmm ... every GM in the league would take John Wall No. 1 right now -- regardless of who they have playing the point. In many cases Wall can co-exist with another guard and in others, they would just trade their other guard. Chris Paul is the most problematic ... but the chances of the Hornets winning the lottery are high. Can't fault David Kahn for drafting point guards last year on the 19 percent chance he could get Wall this year.

Ronan (Ringoes)If John Walls a 10, whos next and what are they?

Alvin (Cali)Here's a funny thought..if Minnesota lands the #1 pick this year and drafts Wall. Wall, Flynn, Rubio. this gm is really good!

Chad FordI think he's gone. 98 percent sure. However, given how well Utah has played these last few weeks I do think the chances are higher that the Jazz won't trade him at the trade deadline.

Mark (Vancouver)Carlos Boozer pleaded with the front office of Utah to not trade him. Any chance he doesn't leave in the summer?

Chad FordTough call. They are playing inspired basketball at the moment. They are really fun to watch. I've been hard on Grizzlies management and ownership over the past few years but it's hard not to like this team. As long as Zach Randolph keeps showing this level of maturity, they are dangerous. With that said, Michael Heisley is trying to sell the team. He's been avoiding getting locked into long term contracts. Gay will likely get a huge offer this summer. If they know they can't match it, then they have to consider moving him now. I was told Grizzlies have had exploratory talks with teams about Gay. Obviously head coach Lionel Hollins feels differently.

Ronnie Richey (Memphis,TN)Do you think the grizz will make any moves before the trade deadline? Also, what are your thoughts on their offseason? Do you see them keeping Rudy Gay?

Chad FordOnly teams that want him want the Rockets to take back more salary. If Houston is going to pay someone tons of cash, it has to be someone they really like. So far that guy hasn't been offered to them.

sam (houston)Anything thoughts on what you think Houston will do with Tracy Mcgrady?

Chad FordSounds like they are ready to trade Iguodala, especially if they can move Dalembert in the same deal and get some cap relief that way. In the right system, I think Iguodala would be fantastic. I've heard Dallas with interest. Same with Cleveland. I'm surprised there aren't more teams. He's a bit overpaid, but he's very good.

Colby (New Jersey)The Sixers have the wrong type of players in the wrong type of system. There name has been involved in numerous trade rumors but what is more likely to happen...riding themselves of a bad contract or firing the coach (Eddie Jordan)?

Chad FordNets want more than expiring contracts. They'll want a player back too for Harris.

Kevin (LA)Devin Harris to LA trade rumor, thoughts?

Chad FordRaptors are playing better which I think has taken some of the urgency out of trading Bosh. I think Bryan Colangelo is still hoping to convince him that the Raptors can be a future contender. But all other signs point to him leaving. I think it will come down to a day or two before the February deadline before we know for sure. But if they are going to trade Bosh then the Bynum for Bosh swap is as good as it gets.

Eric (Indy)Please tell me this Bosh for Bynum trade won't get done! I'm sick and tired of all these Big Market teams stealing other teams best players, ala Pau Gasol from Memphis; Garnett from Minny! This is the biggest reason I dislike the NBA other than the officiating!

Chad FordTheir hands are pretty tied. Donnie Walsh wants his cap space next summer. It's hard to acquire decent point guards in the last year of their contracts. I thought they might be able to get something done for DJ Augustin, but apparently no luck.

Jeremy (Rochester, NY)Do you see the Knicks trying to improve at the PG position before the trade deadline? Chris Duhon has been horrendous lately.

Chad FordI like it for both teams. Some sort of combo of Adam Morrison and Derrick Fisher for Hinrich would help both teams -- Lakers now and Bulls this summer.

Joe (LA)do you think Hinrich will end up in a LAkers uniform before the trade dealine ?

Chad FordYep. He's back. And Wow!

Steve (Chicago)Have you had a chance to watch Derrick Rose lately? I think it is safe to say he was just injured in November and early December.

Chad FordI think it's a bit odd as well. Definitely see it from the Kings perspective (saves money + Howard is a good player), but I'm not sure how it really makes the Mavs a contender.

Kevin (Dallas)Chad, I don't like this Kevin Martin talk! How does he fit in with the current Mavs roster? What's your crunchtime lineup?

Chad FordSorry everyone I'm having trouble getting my browser to send my responses. It's taking forever.

Chad FordThey go off and on. Lately they've been impressed with Miller's play and I think Miller hasn't gotten more comfortable with Nate McMillan. If they make a move I expect it to be for the expiring contracts of Steve Blake and Travis Outlaw.

kennethav (Portland)Yesterday Kevin Pritchard mentioned that there's no way they're trading Andre Miller. Was he blowing smoke? If they're not trading Miller and they're not giving up Bayless/Batum/Rudy, what can they possibly hope to get back?

Chad FordThink they would move both if they could acquire more cap space this summer to make a run at two top tier free agents.

Frank (Chicago)Are the Bulls actually willing to part with Hinrich....or do you think Salmons is the guy that's on the move?

Chad FordI'm told there's nothing going on for either side. Ellis is the closest thing the Warriors have to an All-Star now. He has his flaws, but he's still young. Allen is a great fit on a veteran team. I don't think it makes much sense for either side.

josh (boston)what do you think of the ray allen for monta ellis and vlad radmanovic rumors? does seem to make much sense as a celtic fan

Chad FordI think it was mostly a misunderstanding. I spoke with Coach Gentry yesterday. He hadn't read the report when he made the remarks. I wrote that the team was losing and there had been "some tension" in the locker room. That got blown out of proportion to say that Amare was causing trouble or whatever. It simply that the cohesive team we saw at the beginning of the season is struggling now that the team isn't winning. This group is no longer a tight knit group that the Suns would never think of breaking up. Early in the season it looked like the Suns had regained their swagger. They were playing loose and maybe, were ready to make another run for title. I think those illusions are behind us now and I think the Suns now know that change is coming. Amare might leave. And there is tension in the locker room over all of that. Nothing more.

Steve (Phoenix)Alvin Gentry and Amare had some hard words directed at you for reporting that there was problems in the lockerroom with Amare. Are you responding?

Chad FordI don't know what the status of his knees are. But he has had serious injuries and I do know teams have some concerns about their ability to get insurance on his next big contract. But again, most of it's speculation. All of this is just saying that while Amare is a great player, he's not as easy to trade as you think. He wants big money next year, there are concerns about his long term health and as good as he is on the offensive end of the court, he has a rep as somewhat of a passive defender and rebounder.

Mike (Chicago)Chad, an idea for an article for you. Risk in acquiring Amare and his knee. I've read reports that his type of surgery requires multiple operations so he might be due for another one.

Chad FordI was told nothing serious going on with NJ and Phoenix at the moment. They are starting to like Yi and that's a lot to give up for Stoudemire when you could just sign him out right this summer as a free agent and keep those 2 picks and Yi.

Noah (Los Angeles, CA)It seems like all the signs are pointing toward Amare going to New Jersey. Are Simmons, Battie, Lee, Yi, Mavs '10 pick and Warriors '12 pick enough to make both sides happy if Amare agrees to an extension?

Chad FordWould have to be a little more I think. Their lottery pick in 2010 for starters. But I agree it's probably unlikely.

Byron (Toledo, OH)Armed with an injured Tayshaun, some B- rookies, and Kwame Brown's medium-small expiring contract, there's absolutely no way the Pistons get Amare, is there?

Chad FordI think the Cavs have strong interest. They can off Z's expiring contract, a late first round pick and J.J. Hickson. That's not a lot for the starting center of the West All-Star team. Cavs would likely have to find a third team with more assets to make it happen.

Tommy (Cincinnati,OH)Do you see Amare becoming a Cavalier?

Chad FordI don't know. I don't think anyone does and that's the challenge in trading for Amare. No team is going to give up significant assets unless they're convinced that Amare will re-sign with them at a reasonable number. Consider the Suns themselves aren't convinced of this (thus the trade talk) you can see why Phoenix isn't getting offers that blow their socks off. If Amare wants to get traded to a contender, he's going to have to agree to an extension.

Rusty (Chicago)Would Amare sign an extension with teams like CHI/NJN/DET? When Amare says he wants to be with a contender does that mean, just don't trade me to GSW or MIN?

Chad FordAloha everyone. Sorry I'm a few minutes late. Lots to talk about today. All-Stars, Trade Deadline, our first Mock Draft of the year. Let's roll ...

Originally Posted by UCLAMIKE

Not one team in the NBA would pass in Amare if thy could get him for the right price.

He would be a prefect 2 on teams that already have a superstar

I don't agree with that.  The dude has major knee surgery on his resume already, has a serious eye injury already, wants a TON of money, and has not one time, ever, once in his life proven he can be a guy that you can depend on when it counts.  You think teams are gonna line up for all that drama? 

Is his name and talent sexy on paper?  Yes of course.  But automatic upgrade type guy?  Naw, I don't buy that til I see him play it right. 

I actually hope he goes to Cleveland.  I would love that. 

I think Amare will get overpaid by somebody this offseason.

He's a good 2nd option but not deserving of max deal money as your go-to guy.

laugh.gif
@ me being a dumb $## and not realizing that chat was posted backwards...
smh.gif
I was reading it scratching my head wondering what the *$*@ was going on...

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

laugh.gif
@ me being a dumb $## and not realizing that chat was posted backwards...
smh.gif
I was reading it scratching my head wondering what the *$*@ was going on...

You aren't alone.
laugh.gif

It took me the longest time to figure out how it works....

...Like until you posted this.
roll.gif
smh.gif

Originally Posted by 85wasagreatyear

put amare with cpaul and david west
Can they play 5-on-3 every night? Cuz that's the only way New Orleans could afford it...

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Originally Posted by 85wasagreatyear

put amare with cpaul and david west
Can they play 5-on-3 every night? Cuz that's the only way New Orleans could afford it...
they have no room at all? thats why they're making these trades huh, damn

Originally Posted by CP1708

Not one team in the NBA would pass in Amare if thy could get him for the right price.

I don't agree with that.  The dude has major knee surgery on his resume already, has a serious eye injury already, wants a TON of money, and has not one time, ever, once in his life proven he can be a guy that you can depend on when it counts.  You think teams are gonna line up for all that drama? 

Is his name and talent sexy on paper?  Yes of course.  But automatic upgrade type guy?  Naw, I don't buy that til I see him play it right. 

uhhhhhhhhhhhh

he is avg 20 points and 8 boards on 55% shooting and taken only 14 shots a game. i think he has answered all the questions about his knee and eye

i agree you dont build around amare and any team that does will look like a fool. but those numbers for a number 2 player will be just fine

and i dont take anything about him saying he wants to be a number 1. any elite NBA player is going to answer that question with a yes

Originally Posted by CP1708

uhhhhhhhhhhhh

he is avg 20 points and 8 boards on 55% shooting and taken only 14 shots a game. i think he has answered all the questions about his knee and eye

i agree you dont build around amare and any team that does will look like a fool. but those numbers for a number 2 player will be just fine

and i dont take anything about him saying he wants to be a number 1. any elite NBA player is going to answer that question with a yes

I'm talkin long term on the injuries though.  Can he go 5 straight seasons healthy and what not?  For major cash, I would want that.  I KNOW bron won't get hurt.  I KNOW Paul won't get hurt, I KNOW Kobe won't miss games. 
nerd.gif

laugh.gif
  But I don't KNOW that Amare will play 82 every year.  Big difference. 

laugh.gif
What's confusing about that Mike? What could Cleveland give Phoenix to get Amare? I don't think they have the ammo to get a huge impact guy at the deadline... Unless somebody really loves JJ Hickson...

And 85, yeah that's why they're making those trades... They can't afford to pay luxury tax, so they won't be adding Amare or anybody like that... Nevermind they don't have anything anybody wants other than CP and West...

naw dirk i was waiting for a answer also
laugh.gif

and i took a look at the east standings right now, before the all star break all 8 spots in the east are locked up
roll.gif

I wouldn't feel comfortable giving Amare a five year contract.

Didn't doctors say he would have to have future surgery on his knee back in 2006?

Originally Posted by Al3xis

Honestly, him going to CLE is the only move that really makes a ton of sense. 
but what are you giving Phoenix?

?

I was talking strictly about a team trading FOR Amare.  Not necessarily both ways.
laugh.gif

But JJ Hickson, Delonte West, Sideshow Bob and obviously Z's expiring would be the main peaces potentially being included (obviously not all) + draft picks.

If Steve Kerr knows for damn sure Amare is leaving and doesn't want to build around him, you gotta trade him.  Even if you don't get a fair market deal.

I'm 100% cool with trading JJ Hickson, Delonte West and Z (assuming we get him back after 30 days) + picks for Amare.  Steve Kerr has made some questionable trades/moves before.

nerd.gif

they want talent back

contracts coming off the books do nothing for them since they could just keep amare and let him walk

Phoenix isn't even tied down to any bad contracts so it's not like they have to worry about dumping salary...

I know PHX doesn't need to dump salary, but Z's contract needs to be included just to get it done $ wise (if we are talking strictly a CLE/PHX trade).

Mike, are you saying Delonte and Hickson are bums?  I think they could both flourish in that system (especially JJ).

I know there are a bunch of teams who have much more young talent to offer, but who is honestly willing to give up major young talent for Amare right now?  They're only going to most likely set themselves back...

Like I said, CLE is one of the only teams in the position to potentially flourish with this trade.

I still don't see it happening though...

Back
Top Bottom