Official 07-08 La Liga Thread (Barcelona sign Seydou Keita)

Sport.es claims that Ronaldinho would only walk away from Barca this winter in order to join Milan
Real Madrid players Guti, and Marcelo disagree with Sporting Director Pedrag Mijatovic's opinion by sayng that they would sign Ronaldinho.

Zinedine Zidane has opened the doors for a future return to Real Madrid.. no, not as a player. The former footballer has expressed interest in a potential return to Madrid as a youth team coach. His son, Enzo Zidane is a talented youngster in the Real Madrid youth system.

Bayern Munich is monitoring the Barcelona Coaching situation closely. They're interested in signing Frank Rijkaard should the Dutchman find himself unemployed sometime this year..

Arsenal, and Chelsea are chasing Luka Modric, one of the brightest young talents in Europe. However, the Croatian star claims that he is only interested in a move to Spain. This has alerted La Liga clubs to monitor the situation. Replacement should Ronaldinho leave?

Former Juventus, AC Milan, and Real Madrid Coach Fabio Capello named England Manager.

Real Madrid honor, and celebrate the 60th anniversary of their home stadium, The Santiago Bernabeu.

2007 African Footballer of the Year Award shortlist: Didier Drogba (Chelsea), Michael Essien (Chelsea), Emmanuel Adebayor (Arsenal), Mahamadou Diarra (Real Madrid), Fredrick Kanoute (Sevilla.)

FC Barcelona's Santiago Ezquerro has stated that he may leave Barcelona in January alerting numerous Premier League clubs.

Bayerrn Munich have announced the signing of Sao Paulo defender Breno. The Brasilian defender was a serious target of Real Madrid to serve as a long term replacement of Fabio Cannavaro. However, the German Giants have signed the 18 year old to a 4 year deal. I have one word for Real Madrid.. Garay.

I'd like to share this story involving one of my favorite players, not just in football but in sports.. Ruud van Nistelrooy:

When the Swiss referee of the Real Madrid - Lazio match blew the final whistle.. van Nistelrooy went to the stands. He took off his jersey and gave it to a fan. Until this point, there was nothing out of the ordinary. Nevertheless, Antena 3 uncovered a touching story, a gesture of real hero outside the field. Ruud didnt limit himself to simply giving away the shirt and leaving. Antena 3 captured an emotional hug between the two. Tears ran down the Women's face while the Madrid man gave her kisses of comfort while drying her tears.

It was almost 2 minutes in which the Forward dried the tears of the fan who could not repress her crying. Later, Antena 3 spoke to the women to uncover what had taken place. The situation had become more dramatic but it gave much more value to the Madridista's gesture. "My name is Judith. I am a special friend of Ruud's, and I have come to spend a special holiday in Madrid because I dont have long to live. I wanted to see Ruud at his best" said the female with a voice of emotion and happiness for her dream had come true.

Marca confirmed the story that leaves the discovery of the enormous humanity of v.Nistelrooy. Judith is a young women from Geffen.. the same town v.Nistelrooy was born in. Ruud's father called his son to tell him Judith's story. Ruud immediately invited the young lady to the Day 6 Champions League match vs. Lazio.

Doctors have told Judith that she has around 2 months to live. Her greatest ambition in such a terrible moment was to be at the Bernabeu next to her idol. Although it be temporary, Judith forgot the drama of her life and completed a deserved dream. This gesture shows that many footballers are stars on the field, but are much more off it.

293143436.jpg

Cheers Ruud.. Legend through and through.
pimp.gif

Amazing how Eto'o in one half has outclassed Henry's whole season.

To be honest, I didnt expect much from Valencia, even at home. They havnt scored in 5 games. They were just knocked out of the Champions League. David Villa isinjured for this match. They're playing demoralized, uninspired, etc. Hell, Eidur Gudjohnsen just scored lol. Koeman better do something or he may be gonebefore the season ends.

Leo Messi was subsituted in the 45th minute due to injury. The early reaction is that he'll be out a month..

WTF..

Why was Ronnie in the reserves? I understand that after going 2-0 there was not much point etc..
Is it for El Classico? Since Messi is out.

I think my patience is running thin with Rijkaard..

And F Thierry Henry.

Eto'o > Henry | and it only took Eto'o like 2-3 games haha

Messi will miss classic derby against Real Madrid with thigh injury

VALENCIA, Spain (AP) -FC Barcelona's Lionel Messi tore a thigh muscle on Saturday and will probably miss next weekend's classic derby against Real Madrid.

Messi injured his left thigh after making a run in the 42nd minute of the Catalan club's 3-0 win against Valencia in the Spanish league. The Argentina forward was substituted two minutes later.

"It looks like he could be out three to four weeks,'' Barcelona vice president Albert Vicens i Rahola told La Sexta television channel.

The 20-year-old Messi, who leads Barcelona with eight goals, tore a muscle in his thigh, the club said in a statement on its Web site. Messi scored a hat trick against Madrid in the last derby at Camp Nou - a 3-3 draw in March.

Barcelona has 34 points, one less than league leader Real Madrid. They meet at Camp Nou next Sunday for the "classico.''

- Sports Illustrated (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/soccer/wires/12/15/2080.ap.eu.spt.soc.barcelona.messi.injury.1st.ld.writethru.0188/index.html)

Henry most likely wont be available for El Clasico as well. Hes recovering from an injury. Hes already missed 3 matches. Since Eto'o is back, Rijkaard isensuring Henry take his time during recovery. However, Im not sure how Messi's absence affects those plans.

Real Madrid will celebrate the 60th anniversary of their home, The Santiago Bernabeu.

293259187.jpg

Ruud van Nistelrooy will complete his 50th game as a Real Madrid player tomorrow vs. Osasuna. He has 32 goals in 49 appearances.
pimp.gif

Tamudo > Eto'o & Henry

It's a blessing in disguise for Farca with Leo Mousey being out because Marcelo would eat him up with some chimichurri.

Marcelo has been in $!%* form, he can eat himself.

Heinze wasn't starting cos of injury.

F Henry.

Its not necessarily confirmed yet but..! Real Madrid are supposedly planning a 2008 U.S. Tour. The tour wont be as exaggurated as when the Galacticos wererunning rampant. The first stop is Salt Lake City due to the parntership with Real Salt Lake and the inaugeration of their new stadium. The next stop is NEWYORK!!
pimp.gif
. The third potential stop is Chicago. I hope it becomes a reality.

The only drawback is these tours can be tiring for the players so I hope its only 3 cities (incl NY of course.)

Madrid looked excellent today against Osa..

They are playing incredible football in La Liga so far. Barcelona has their work cut out.

My take: Im happy that we got 3 points//clean sheet with no injuries to any players. Excellent performances from Pepe, Diarra, Ruud, Sneijder, Robinho. Thegame was kinda boring though.

Ramos played like crap. Vela was owning him in the first half. Raul was subpar. Heinze got burn at the end of the game so we may see him next week.

It kinda seemed like they (Madrid) were playing reserved.. but like I said, win + no injures = good enough for me. The 4 point cushion is comforting knowingwe'll still be top of the table no matter what happens at the Camp Nou.

Let El SUPER! Clasico talk begin
pimp.gif

I can't wait for El Clásico.. i'll be having some friends around (morning time here) and watching it live.

Has to be the biggest club rivalry in Europe..

[table][tr][th=""]Team[/th] [th=""]Win[/th] [th=""]Draw[/th] [th=""]Loss[/th] [th=""]Goals for[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Real Madrid[/td] [td]66[/td] [td]30[/td] [td]58[/td] [td]255[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FC Barcelona[/td] [td]58[/td] [td]30[/td] [td]66[/td] [td]234[/td] [/tr][/table]

All about El Clásico
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Clásicohttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Clásico

Congratulations to Robinho as he is now officially a father.

Fifa's World Player of the Year Awards:

1. Kaka' (AC Milan)
2. Lionel Messi (FC Barcelona)
3. Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United)

Also, I came across these videos which capture Real Madrid's historic comeback to capture the 06-07 La Liga title. Credit to gazoolysoccer for thesewonderful vids. (Fyi, the trance/techno music stops in part 2
tongue.gif
)

Part One

Part Two

Part Three

Part Four

Lastly, I'll be posting articles throughout the week dealing with Real Madrid///Barcelona players/staff commenting on El Clasico.

[h2]Laporta upset at Messi absence[/h2][h3]Barcelona president confident ahead of El Clasico

By Lucas Brown Last updated: 17th December 2007

[/h3]
Joan Laporta believes that nothing can make up for Lionel Messi missing the visit of Real Madrid on Sunday.

The Argentinean suffered a thigh strain during the 3-0 victory over Valencia on Saturday, and could be out for up to a month.

Messi has scored eight goals in La Liga so far this season, and he will obviously be missed when the league leaders arrive at Camp Nou.

President Laporta, although disappointed that Messi will not be able to feature in the game, is still confident that Barcelona have enough quality to win El Clasico.
[h4]Vital[/h4]
"Nothing can compensate for the injury to Messi," Laporta told Marca.

"It is a real blow that he will not be able to play in such an important game as we have next Sunday.

"In such a vital match, with the incredible rivalry we have with Madrid, it is a game that Leo will not be available for, but we are used to having to overcome things like this.

"He is the most in-form player in the team at the moment.

"But I am naturally optimistic. Now that the majority of injured players are back, we have shown that we have a great team."
[h5]Understanding[/h5]
Laporta also responded to comments made by Predrag Mijatovic concerning the morale of the Barcelona squad, refusing to be drawn into an argument.

"They were comments made by the technical director of Real Madrid and one must respect that," he said.

"Everyone has their own way of acting, although we are a club that acts differently to that.

"We want to establish good relations out of respect and understanding of our rivals and that is what we shall do."
[h5]Eto'o[/h5]
The president also praised the return to first-team action of Samuel Eto'o, and feels that the Cameroonian will have a positive effect on future results.

"Eto'o has not just spontaneously come back at his best. He is a player that the team needs and he has worked very hard to return," Laporta said.

"Against Valencia he showed that he is back. Wit him in the side we have goals again and a winning team."

-SkySports (http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11827_2988148,00.html)

[h2]Ruud is a Real risk taker[/h2][h3]League leaders preparing Barcelona attack[/h3]
By Chris Burton Last updated: 17th December2007
Ruud van Nistelrooy feels that Real Madrid are in a position to take risks at Camp Nou on Sunday.

The Dutch striker got Real's first goal in their 2-0 victory over Osasuna on Sunday; a result which gives the reigning champions a four-point lead over rivals Barcelona.

As the two sides prepare for El Clasico next weekend, van Nistelrooy believes that going into the game with the cushion will allow Real to express themselves safe in the knowledge that they will remain at the top of La Liga no matter what the outcome is.
[h4]No fear[/h4]
"It was important to win (against Osasuna) so that we can go to the Nou Camp with a four-point advantage," he said.

"With this we can go there to attack, without fear. It will be a tough game and it is better to go secure in the knowledge that whatever happens we will remain leaders."
[h5]Casillas[/h5]
Barcelona had closed the gap to a single point on Saturday with an impressive 3-0 win at Valencia. Samuel Eto'o continued his impressive return to the side with two goals, but Lionel Messi picked up a thigh injury which will rule him out for up to a month.

Real Madrid goalkeeper Iker Casillas feels that the loss of the Argentinean will be a major blow to the Catalan club, but that the returning Eto'o should help to soften the blow.

"The loss of Messi is very important for Barca because he's a key player in fantastic form, but they have Eto'o who has proven beyond doubt that he is well again," the Spanish international said.
[h5]Rijkaard[/h5]
Barcelona coach Frank Rijkaard agrees with Casillas, and is confident that the return of the Cameroonian striker will help improve the club's chances of reclaiming the title.

"The victory against Valencia was very important psychologically," the Dutchman told Com Radio.

"Eto'o's quick touch and penetration created problems for Valencia. It's what we want, great goals and attitude. Now we have the chance for a good season."

-SkySports (http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11835_2987998,00.html)

[h2]Henry back for Real clash[/h2][h3]Forward available after four-week absence[/h3]
By James Dall Last updated: 20th December2007
Barcelona have been handed a major boost via the news that Thierry Henry will be available for the clash with arch-rivals Real Madrid.

The France international has been sidelined for almost four weeks with a back problem, but has now returned to training ahead of 'El Clasico'.

"The therapy done to improve his discopathy has achieved the desired results," read a statement on the club's official website.

"[Henry has] received the green light from doctors and could be one of the big new names on the list [for the game against Real]."

The forward's return to action is a timely one for Frank Rijkaard - who lost Lionel Messi to a thigh strain last Saturday.

League leaders Real travel to second-placed Barcelona on Sunday, in a game that can be seen live on Sky Sports 3

-SkySports

Going to take a break from the El Clasico hype and shine a little light on the unfortunate fall of a European giant.. Valencia CF. Basically,Ronald Koeman has decided to blacklist several Valencia veterans including Santiago Canizares. Miguel Angel Angulo, and Valencia captain: David Albelda. Thereare rumors that Valencia are seeking a buyer for one of the best left wingers in the world, Vicente. This comes after the player blasted Valencia's medicalstaff. This combined with a series of poor performances and results has created protest from fans, and players. In fact, key players such as Miguel, DavidVilla, and Joaquin are all rumored to be unsettled and potentially seeking an exit from the club.

[h2]Valencia duo shown the door[/h2][h3]Koeman calls time on Canizares and Albelda[/h3]
By Rob Parrish�� Lastupdated: 19th December 2007
Santiago Canizares and David Albelda look to have played their last games for Valencia.

The duo were initially dropped by manager Ronald Koeman and told they would not play in the two matches before Christmas as the club looked to arrest an alarming slump in form.

But vice president Enrique Lucas has now revealed that Valencia have made "the necessary decision to get rid of Canizares and Albelda".

Club president Juan Soler has backed Koeman's decision with the duo now expected to exit the Mestalla.
[h4]End[/h4]
Lucas, who admitted it was a "painful decision" said: "The president has accepted the coach's decision, understanding that every professional life has an end."

Valencia finished bottom of their UEFA Champions League group to crash out of Europe and are 13 points off the pace in seventh spot in the Primera Liga after a run of just one point from their last four matches.

Koeman had already admitted he was expecting to come in for some criticism over his decision to leave out the duo.

Speaking earlier in the week, he said: "There will be people that criticise me and people that agree with me, but I have to accept that and keep working."

The 38-year-old Canizares, capped 46 times by Spain, signed for Valencia in 1998 and is under contract until 2009.

And captain Albelda, who has 50 caps for the international side, was due to stay with the club until 2011.
[h5]Angulo[/h5]
Meanwhile, Miguel Angel Angulo's representative claims the striker is another player to be told he has no future under Koeman.

Jose Luis Tamargo told Radio Marca: "I was told today by the club's sporting director Miguel Angel Ruiz that Angulo will not be called up for the first team again this season.

"This comes as a real shock and although I respect the decision of the coach I do not understand it.

"Angulo does not plan to leave the club and he will wait and see what happens."

also,
[h2]Koeman defends decision[/h2][h3]Dutch coach unhappy at attitude within squad[/h3]
By Chris Burton�� Lastupdated: 21st December 2007
Ronald Koeman has justified his recent decision to drop three of his most experienced players.

The Dutch coach who replaced Quique Sanchez Flores at the Mestalla at the start of November, has revealed that he was unhappy with the attitude shown by certain members of the squad.

He has since told Santiago Canizares, David Albelda and Miguel Angel Angulo that they will not feature in his first-team plans for the rest of the season, and that they are free to leave the club.

The decision to axe three of his veteran stars has come at a time when the club has lost three of their last four Primera Division games and finished bottom of their UEFA Champions League group, therefore missing out on the consolation of a Uefa Cup place.
[h4]Change[/h4]
Koeman though believes that he has made the right choice and that no pressure had been put on him to drop the trio.

"I believe the team had to change, to have people with more enthusiasm and a greater hunger, and it starts with these decisions," Koeman told Marca.

"I have seen things that I haven't liked from the start and I have changed them. No one has told me to do this. It is a sporting matter."

Clasico on goltv? anyone know? if not i already know some places online for free streaming
smile.gif
but id rather watch on the big screen
smile.gif

it'll be broadcasted on Gol TV.. nothing like El Clasico x Ray Hudson commentary
pimp.gif
:
[table][tr][td]

Sunday, December 23rd - 1:00 pm

[/td] [td]
live_btn_small.gif
La Liga - Barcelona x Real Madrid[/td] [/tr][/table]
Im pleased to announce:

Ruud set for new Real deal[h3]Dutch striker to extend his stay at the Bernebeu[/h3]
By Chris Burton Last updated: 19th December2007
Real Madrid striker Ruud van Nistelrooy is all set to see his recent good form rewarded with a contract extension.

The Dutch international's current deal expires in 2009, and the club are keen to ensure that he remains at the Bernebeu beyond that point.

Van Nistelrooy joined Real from Manchester United in July 2006 and in his first season in Spain he hit 33 goals, including 25 in La Liga which saw him pick up the Pichichi trophy.

This season he has already managed eight league goals and four in the UEFA Champions League, helping Real establish a four-point lead over rivals Barcelona in the Primera Division and progress safely through to the last 16 in Europe.
[h4]Promised[/h4]
Club president Ramon Calderon is a great admirer of the striker, and says that negotiations concerning the extension will begin this week.

"We will agree a contract renewal in the next few days because that's what I promised him and because that's what he deserves," Calderon told Onda Madrid.

"Players like him deserve to be rewarded for both their performance and behaviour. He is an extraordinary player and person and it would be great if he could end the season as top scorer together with (team-mate) Raul."

"Get er done"
pimp.gif
Cannavaro renewal talks should benear too

Back
Top Bottom