..:Official 2008 NL Central Thread:..Congratulations Chicago Cubs...:

^ Because at the start of the season, everyone was saying (myself included that it would only take 84-86 Ws to win the division.

Damn, I was happy too because I was thinkin Glaus was gonna go the whole season with only those 3 hits he got against us in just the on game.
frown.gif

I hope this isn't one of those games the offense shuts it down too early.

We're going to the 8th with the lead. It' sup to us to hold on. I have a feeling it's gonna be Woody vS. Pujols in the top of the 9th again....ughh

Micah Owings with the pinch-hit 2 rbi single.
pimp.gif

Reds lead CC 3-2.

EDIT: make that 4-2, chasing Sabathia.
pimp.gif

I envy you dudes who live in Chicago right now, I'd be in the L down to Wrigleyville (if I wasn't there already).

Oh well, N.E.R.D. and Common tonight!

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I am very happy. I just hope the Cubs move on and realize that there is only one definition of success for them this year. World Series victory.

EDIT:
Did all you Cubs fans get registered for a chance at buying postseason tickets? My whole family is registered for me.

I can't like him by default because he is a Cub, but I have mad respect for Lou Pinella.

Originally Posted by truthmain

I envy you dudes who live in Chicago right now, I'd be in the L down to Wrigleyville (if I wasn't there already).

same but, if they make it to the WS ill be there drinking some old style with my fellow cubs fan friends.

CONGRATS CUBBIES LETS GET 100 Ws AND GET ON A ROLL

This is a big step regardless of what happens. I know our history and what can still happen to us, but in my lifetime we have never had back to back playoffappearances. At the very least, this is a building step. Even if things don't go our way in October, we should still be plenty strong next season to makea run at 3 straight apperances. Look at how Boston reaches their goal. Eventually they were able to have enough experience (and luck) to win their title.

We ain't done yet, let's get it.
pimp.gif

well.....soo much for W4Ls pipe dreams of ever seeing his team win something......this was their chance and they choked........c.c. and mr gass is gone, princewill want to actually have a chance to win.......braun is their only bright spot (gave up the rest for renting c.c.) bad move

cc pitching on 3 days rest(not that he can't)...i feel bad for the team who gets him next year hes just not going to be the same after this year.

brewers wore him out to the max!

42475113.jpg

Cubs Clinch !
Cubs Beat Cardinal 5-4
The Cubs have learned to accept that playing on the North Side means having to deal with all the pressure surrounding the quest to end the longest championshipdrought in professional sports.

Now, after beating St. Louis 5-4 Saturday to earn their second straight National League Central title, they know theirnext two weeks will be filled with questions about overcoming curses, black cats and all the other supernatural obstacles some will say are in their way.

"You know it's coming," Derrek Lee said. "It's the nature of the beast here in Chicago. That'swhat makes it so exciting when you finally win one. You have to deal with the bad for the possibility of how good it can be."

On a warm late summer day with the shadows creeping over the ballpark and a crowd of 41,597 on its feet, Kerry Woodinduced Aaron Miles to loft a fly ball to center field with two outs in the ninth and the tying run on first. Jim Edmondsswallowed it up with ease, starting the party that would last all night in Wrigleyville.

The 2008 Cubs accomplished the first step of their long journey, but no one will be satisfied if it ends with a rerun of last year's finish, a three-gamesweep at the hands of the Arizona Diamondbacks in the first round of the playoffs.

"It has been a really, really nice year and I'm proud of our team," manager Lou Piniella said. "Now wecan start planning for the postseason, and hopefully we can give the fans what they want.

"And we all know what that is."

Everyone knows what Chicago wants, and Piniella hopes the fans understand the players want it just as much as them. The Cubs cruised to the division title thisyear, leading the National League in runs scored and ranking second in pitching heading into the final week of the regular season.

"The difference between this year and last year is we did it playing ahead;, last year we came from behind," Piniella said. "And the differencethis year is we won it on the field in front of our fans. I thought the tribute-the fans staying around and the players going out to left field and right fieldand down these lines-it was special.

"It goes to show you how much our players and our organization appreciate the support our fans give us."

On a day the Cubs broke the franchise attendance record, Ted Lilly pitched seven strong innings to notch his career-high16th victory, while also coming through with a successful suicide squeeze in the fourth to bring home Mark DeRosa fromthird for a 5-0 lead.

Troy Glaus' three-run homer in the sixth pulled the Cardinals to within a run, but Lilly returned for a perfectseventh before Carlos Marmol and Wood closed it out.

Wood walked the leadoff man in the ninth, but Piniella said Wood told him he was only trying to "give me a heart attack."

During a tempered but noisy postgame celebration, Ryan Dempster pointed out the Cubs had many stars in the clubhouse, butno clear-cut MVPs. Its strength was in its togetherness, from the $136 million left fielder to back-up catcher HenryBlanco.

"We have a bunch of guys pulling together on this team," Dempster said. "We're all trying to accomplish the same goal and that's to wina World Series.

"When you look at it that way, we just pull for each other every day real hard, and everybody prepares that day to do what they need to do to help us win.If we do that, we believe we have enough talent in this room to beat anybody on any given night. We like our chances against anybody."

42475103.jpg

42475668.jpg

42475696.jpg

42475708.jpg

42476162.jpg

Back
Top Bottom