..:Official 2008 NL Central Thread:..Congratulations Chicago Cubs...:

Originally Posted by AM 1 FIEND

Damn Dodgers can't finish the Cubs
smh.gif

I think its kinda cool that MLB lets the Cubs play Triple A teams at home.
On a completely unrelated note

02.jpg

pimp.gif

Fukudome Site

veavbm.jpg

39355417-28203416.jpg

Alfonso Soriano singled in the winning run in the bottom of the 10th Wednesday night and the Cubs beat the Los Angeles Dodgers 2-1 to complete a three-gamesweep.

Trailing 1-0 in the bottom of the ninth, the Cubs tied it against Dodgers' closer Takashi Saito on Geovany Soto's bases-loaded sacrifice fly.

In the 10th, pinch-hitter Mike Fontenot doubled with one out off Chan Ho Park (1-1) and scored on Soriano's single to left. Bob Howry (1-2) pitched the topof the inning.

Dodgers' starter Derek Lowe, winless since April 23, was on his way to victory after pitching seven shutout innings with two walks and five strikeouts.Jonathan Broxton struck out the side in the eighth.

Saito, who blew his third save in 11 chances, walked Ryan Theriot and Aramis Ramirez in the ninth before Kosuke Fukudome reached on an infield single to loadthe bases when Dodgers' first baseman James Loney made a nice diving stop on his high hopper. Fukudome was ruled safe at first after Saito raced over tocover the bag and take the flip from Loney.

Soto then hit the sacrifice fly to tie the game and pinch-runner Ronny Cedeno advanced to third before Saito retired Mark DeRosa on a fly ball to end theinning.

The Dodgers, who scored one run in each of the three games at Wrigley Field, used a bout of two-out wildness by Carlos Zambrano in the fourth inning to scoreon a bases-loaded walk.

Zambrano allowed six hits, walked four and had a costly hit batter during his season-high 130-pitch outing over eight innings and left trailing 1-0.

Zambrano gave up two-out singles to Russell Martin and Loney in the fourth before hitting Matt Kemp in the back to load the bases. On a 3-2 pitch, he walkedBlake DeWitt to force in the run.

Andre Ethier and Martin singled with two outs in the eighth and when Theriot made an error on Loney's grounder to shortstop, the Dodgers had the basesloaded again.

Cubs manager Lou Piniella visited the mound but left Zambrano in before he struck out Kemp with his 130th and final pitch of the night.

Zambrano, who was 4-for-5 at the plate against Pittsburgh in his previous start, went 0-for-2, striking out twice against Lowe.

Notes: Lowe pitched a one-hit shutout against the Cubs at Wrigley Field on Aug. 31, 2005. The lone hit was an infield single by leadoff hitterJerry Hairston in the first. ... Jeff Kent, who was out of the lineup Tuesday with back spasms, missed his second straight game. ... Cubs OFs Soriano andFukudome were 1-2 in early fan voting for the NL All-Star team. ... Dodgers' INF Tony Abreu underwent arthroscopic surgery on his right hip Wednesday inColorado. He will be out at least three months. ... The pitch count was the second highest of Zambrano's career. He threw 136 against the Phillies in May2005.

and Cubs' fans, we need to get D.Lee into the All Star game. Berkman leads all first-basemen. You get 25 votes. Do work!!

I voted, but honestly Berkman deserves it. I think D-Lee makes it in as a reserve, but we'll see. I'm glad seeing Soto leading Catchers though, hedefinitely should be the starting catcher for the Classic. Now Sori and Fukudome on the other hand...

That was a beautiful game last night. Just wonderful. Nice to see the Cubs win in extra innings.
I have such a hot/cold relationship with Soriano. One minute i love him the next i despise him. He offends my baseball sensibilities yet is a tremendou****ter. sigh.

"just when i think you cant get any stupider, you do something like this. And totally redeem yourself!!!!!!!"

Pujols ended Brad Lidge's career, what did you expect from the Stros?
roll.gif

have you seen what Lidge is doing this year for the Phils?

1-0, 0.82 ERA, 12 saves in 12 save opps.

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

roll.gif

Obviously all he needed was a change of scenery after that. Besides, the Astros seem to be fine with Valverde and Lidge is doing his part.

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

roll.gif

Wait until he faces Albert again
laugh.gif

at the cards and stros game now.....fb, left my camera at home dude...I got you in a couple games though......my boy has season tickets and is gonna be intexas every other week, ill be at plenty games the rest of the season

Cold blooded is right. Cubbies just put their foot on the throat of the Rockies. Closed the ol door so to speak.

wuGjWYWw.jpg

Cubs Comeback...Again, to win 4th Straight
The Cubs wound up beating the Rockies, 8-4, running their win streak to four games.

Trailing 4-3 in the seventh, the Cubs tied it when Rockies reliever Matt Herges fielded a Derrek Lee topper with two men on and hit Lee in the leg with hiserrant throw, allowing Alfonso Soriano to score from third. Geovany Soto's RBI sacrifice fly put the Cubs back on top, leaving it up the bullpen to finishthings off.

The Cubs added three runs in the eighth on a pinch-hit RBI single by Micah Hoffpauir and Soriano's two-run hit up the middle.

With June on the horizon, things are looking up for Piniella and the Cubs. Instead of wondering if his players were about to revolt against him, Piniella'sbiggest challenge these days is keeping Chicago from getting all "giggly" over the Cubs' winning ways.

Sellout crowds are the norm at Wrigley, three Cubs are leading in NL All-Star balloting, and viewership is up significantly as well. Wednesday night's 2-1,extra-inning win over Los Angeles was the highest-rated Cubs game in May on WGN since a game in New York on May 23, 1991. That was the second game of theforgettable Jim Essian era.

While much has happened to the team in the ensuing 17 years, the Cubs' early-season success, increased interest due to the centennial of their last WorldSeries championship, and Piniella's own popularity have helped make them must-see TV in 2008.

But the Cubs have to keep winning to stay on top of the ratings game, and Jason Marquis' outing Thursday night was another reason to look for thechannel-changer. Marquis allowed three runs on seven hits and two walks over 51/3 innings, throwing 95 pitches while getting in and out of jams.

Lee's solo homer off Jeff Francis in the third and a run-scoring single by Reed Johnson in the fourth helped Marquis to a 3-1 lead before he started thesixth by loading the bases.

One out later, Marquis was removed for Neal Cotts, who was called up from Triple-A Iowa on Thursday but gave up a two-run, opposite-field single to WillyTaveras to tie the game, leaving Marquis with a no-decision.

The Rockies went ahead 4-3 in the seventh as Michael Wuertz gave up a single to Ryan Spilborghs and watched him steal second before Ian Stewart's doublebrought home the go-ahead run. But the Cubs bounced back late for the second straight night.

Im loving the cubs and the never say die attitude! I never feel like we are out of it even if we are down 4 or 5 runs! Lets keep this momentum going!

D. Lee is an all star too, but berkman has to get the start. He's either 1 or 2 in every major category, how doesnt he get the start? Also he IS OKdefensively, not like hes a fat slugger that cant stop a ground ball.....(R. Howard)....... like me both, but lance this year

BEST. INNING. EVER.

i screamed and woke up my wife and my dog when DeRosa hit that homer.

Now Marmol is in lets see if he can deal like he does.

WOW CUBBIES ANOTHER COMEBACK!! LETS GO BOYS!!!!! FINISH EM!!!!

edmonds looking good today. finally producing on offense.

Speechless.

Jimmy bought himself a few more days, but I think it's inevitable - dude should be gone. I'm thinking he goes back into his slump after this game...

the cubs are playing with some great composure right now.. i'm liking this.. especially since we usually have slow starts.

Back
Top Bottom