OFFICIAL 2009 DODGERS OFFSEASON THREAD: (95-57) NL West Champs --- NLCS Chumps

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

So i'm writing this as the bases are loaded and Victorino gets plunked.

This is horrendous but i'm keeping this in perspective.

As a season, these guys did great. They handled the NLDS like pros and swept the Cardinals.

The NLCS, is the same exact story as last season. The bats are lost. The Phillies looking like godsends, and we're on our way to lose in 5.

Jonathan Broxton still wets the bed at the thought of pressure and Matt Stairs -- and quite frankly so do we as fans.

They won a tougher than expected NL West, competition is great and makes our own squad better.

Colletti has re-signed. McCourts are separating, Manny can still leave yet again this Offseason.

Martin needs to dump his girl and get back on that poutine + beignets diet.

Jonny Boy needs , well... I don't know what he needs but it's something.

Dodgers 2010 Free Agent Class

Brad Ausmus (C)
Doug Mientkiewicz (1B)
Orlando Hudson (2B)
Mark Loretta (UTIL)
Manny Ramirez (LF) $20MM player option
Jason Schmidt (SP)
Randy Wolf (SP)
Guillermo Mota (RP)
Will Ohman (RP) - $2.2MM club option with a $200K buyout

Schmidt is gone, as is Ohman. Safe to say Wolf is on his way out as well, O-Dog and Padilla too.

Will we be spenders? Will we stand pat? Will we move players?

Where do you think we need to bulk up, and if needed, who needs to get the boot from LA?

I'm not going to go as in depth as I did last offseason. This is beyond disappointing, this is terrible, this is bull %!@!. Last year I wasn't hurt because they got hot at the right time late August and just rode that wave into October. This year, we wrecked it all year, other people predicted such big things for this club, and yet here we are. New year, same spot.

Phillies have our number, they're THE NL team right now, and with good reason.

This season in my opinion is a wash in my eyes. I'll leave it at that.

At the end of the day, we're still fans. I don't follow any other American sport. This is who I live and die by. I'm stupid, i'm still going to be getting my 2010 season tickets in hopes of yet another NLCS against the Phillies
laugh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
frown.gif

Tomorrow i'll be officially ending the baseball season with a fresh haircut and the beard back to normal resembling a fresher DJ Drama
smokin.gif

Discuss.

Thanks to all the regulars and the late posters. It's been fun. Off to the Winter...

indeed no heart at all!!!!!!!!!!
mad.gif

And just because we developed players doesn't mean we have to keep them.... sorry to be the one to say it.

The Dodgers had all those rookies of the year in the 90's and they never won anything. I would have way fonder memories of Raul Mondesi had they won achampionship.... even a pennant.

I don't even remember what Mike Piazza did in a Dodger uniform.

We have to find the right mix of players. And obviously we didn't have that this year.

If 8 years from now we will have kept Loney, Kemp, Martin, Ethier, Billingsley, Kershaw I hope we have atleast one championship to show for it.

Winning isn't everything. Just the only thing.

im not for blowing this team up and i wouldnt go out and get are yankees on and sign every big name FA

but there is a middle ground

some of these "kids" are big boys now and are who they are

i have more faith in ox "GETTING IT" and letting him be are closer then i do martin turning it around. hell Brad Ausmus could of put them wack !%+numbers up if you started him for the whole year

MLB catchers are like NFL RB there prime years are short and once most show signs of slowing down 9 times out of 10 its true they are slowing down

Can someone up a projected starting 8 and rotation ? maybe projected payroll with arbitration jumps?

Also post list of notable FAs at the 4 and on the mound?

I know its a lot. but its a slow "friday" work day for me, i need to put my mind somewhere.

Dodgers all day everyday baby
smokin.gif

For me there is no baseball offseason. After the WS Winterleagues start, then after the new year Pitchers and Catchers report.
smokin.gif
laugh.gif
IM A FIENDDDDD

There will be plenty of time this offseason for moves, but here's an overview of the current Dodger 40-man roster. There are 43 players currently on the 40-man roster, including four on the 60-day disabled list. That will change quickly after the World Series as players file for free agency. I have split them into a few groups:
[h3]Free Agents (13+1)[/h3]
Type A*: Orlando Hudson, Randy Wolf

Type B*: Ronnie Belliard, Guillermo Mota, Vicente Padilla, Will Ohman**

Others: Jim Thome, Brad Ausmus, Jason Schmidt, Mark Loretta, Juan Castro, Eric Milton, Doug Mientkiewicz, Jeff Weaver

*Eddie Bajek of Detroit Tigers Thoughts has done a great job of figuring out the Elias Rankings, and has posted them at MLB Trade Rumors. In order to receive compensation for Type A or Type B free agents, the club must offer them arbitration. Type A free agents net a first round pick from the team that signs them, provided the pick isn't in the top 15, in addition to a supplemental pick in between the first and second rounds.

If a team signs more than one Type A free agent, the players are ranked by their Elias ranking, they give up picks in the lower rounds as well. For instance, the Yankees last year gave up their first three picks for signing C.C. Sabathia, Mark Teixeira, and A.J. Burnett, all Type A free agents. Type B free agents net only a supplemental pick.

There is always the risk that a player will accept arbitration (like Darren Oliver did with the Angels last season). If he does, the maximum salary cut a player can take is 20%, so for Guillermo Mota, for instance, the least he would make in arbitration in 2010 would be $1.88 million (80% of his $2.35 million 2009 salary). In the case of Hudson and Wolf, they had low base salaries so this isn't an issue, but there is still quite a risk because they are still likely to command a high salary in arbitration.

**I'm counting Will Ohman in this exercise, even though he is no longer on the 40-man since his option was bought out last week, but the Dodgers, however unlikely, can still offer Ohman arbitration if they so choose.

What should happen: Offer arbitration to Hudson, Wolf, and Belliard only
[h3]Options (2)[/h3]
  • Manny Ramirez has a $20 million player option for 2010. He has until November 10 to accept or decline this option.
  • Jon Garland has a $10 million mutual option for 2010. If the Dodgers decline, his buyout is $2.5 million; if Garland declines, his buyout is $1 million. As a condition of Garland's acquisition, the Diamondbacks will pay either buyout if the option is not exercised. Even if either side opts out, Garland is a Type B free agent, and the Dodgers could offer him arbitration if they so choose.
What should happen: Manny comes back, Dodgers let Arizona pay Garland $2.5m to walk away, don't offer Garland arbitration
[h3]Arbitration Eligible (9)[/h3] [table][tr][td]Player[/td] [td]Service Time[/td] [td]2009 Base Salary[/td] [/tr][tr][td]George Sherrill[/td] [td]4.147[/td] [td]$2,750,000[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Jonathan Broxton[/td] [td]4.020[/td] [td]$1,825,000[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Andre Ethier[/td] [td]3.153[/td] [td]$3,100,000[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Russell Martin[/td] [td]3.150[/td] [td]$3,900,000[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Hong-Chih Kuo[/td] [td]3.114[/td] [td]$437,000[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Chad Billingsley[/td] [td]3.110[/td] [td]$475,000[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Matt Kemp[/td] [td]3.049[/td] [td]$467,000[/td] [/tr][tr][td]James Loney[/td] [td]3.012[/td] [td]$465,000[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Jason Repko[/td] [td]3.067[/td] [td]$500,000[/td] [/tr][/table]
Look for: Repko to get non-tendered
[h3]
[/h3] [h3]Under Contract (4)[/h3] [table][tr][td]Player[/td] [td]2009 Salary[/td] [td]2010 Salary[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Rafael Furcal[/td] [td]$10,500,000[/td] [td]$8,500,000[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Juan Pierre[/td] [td]$10,000,000[/td] [td]$10,000,000[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Casey Blake[/td] [td]$5,250,000[/td] [td]$6,000,000[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Hiroki Kuroda[/td] [td]$10,000,000[/td] [td]$13,000,000[/td] [/tr][/table][h3]
[/h3] [h3]Under Team Control (15)[/h3] [table][tr][td]Player[/td] [td]Service Time[/td] [td]2009 Base Salary[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Ramon Troncoso[/td] [td]1.119[/td] [td]$401,000[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Clayton Kershaw[/td] [td]1.105[/td] [td]$404,000[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Cory Wade[/td] [td]1.096[/td] [td]$402,500[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Eric Stults[/td] [td]1.072[/td] [td]$402,000[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Blake DeWitt[/td] [td]1.048[/td] [td]$405,000[/td] [/tr][tr][td]James McDonald[/td] [td]1.004[/td] [td]$400,750[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Ronald Belisario[/td] [td]1.000[/td] [td]$400,000[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Chin-Lung Hu[/td] [td]0.153[/td] [td]$401,000[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Xavier Paul[/td] [td]0.151[/td] [td]$400,000[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Charlie Haeger[/td] [td]0.125[/td] [td]$400,000[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Scott Elbert[/td] [td]0.097[/td] [td]$400,000[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Brent Leach[/td] [td]0.090[/td] [td]$400,000[/td] [/tr][tr][td]A.J. Ellis[/td] [td]0.081[/td] [td]$400,000[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Travis Schlichting[/td] [td]0.055[/td] [td]$400,000[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Lucas May[/td] [td]0.000[/td] [td]------[/td] [/tr][/table]
Here are some important dates to remember for the offseason:

Day After World Series Ends: begins 15-day period for eligible players to file for free agency

November 20: Date reserve lists must be set (adding players to 40-man roster for purposes of Rule 5 draft)

December 1: Last date to offer arbitration to free agents to receive compensation

December 10: Rule 5 draft

December 12: Deadline to tender contracts to players under team control or pre-free agency arbitration-eligible players

It will be a long offseason, but the hot stove is always interesting.

[h2]Posting at the positions that are much needed in the offseason, which is just pitching and a second baseman,probably a 3rd baseman if they deal Casey. ( I highly doubt they will)
[/h2][h2]
[/h2][h2]Potential Free Agents for 2010[/h2]* - current contract includes 2010option
(A) - projected as Type A free agent
(B) - projected as Type B free agent

Second Basemen:
Marlon Anderson NYM
Ron Belliard LAD (B)
Jamey Carroll CLE
David Eckstein SD
Orlando Hudson LAD (A)
Akinori Iwamura * TB
Omar Infante ATL
Felipe Lopez MIL (A)
Mark Loretta LAD
Placido Polanco DET (A)
Freddy Sanchez * SF (A)

Starting Pitchers:
Brandon Backe HOU
Josh Beckett * BOS
Erik Bedard SEA (B)
Daniel Cabrera ARZ
Bartolo Colon CWS
Jose Contreras COL
Doug Davis ARZ (B)
Justin Duchscherer OAK (B)
Adam Eaton COL
Kelvim Escobar LAA
Jon Garland * LAD (B)
Tom Glavine ATL
Mike Hampton HOU
Rich Harden CHC (B)
Livan Hernandez WAS
Tim Hudson * ATL
Randy Johnson SF (B)
John Lackey LAA (A)
Cliff Lee * PHI (A)
Braden Looper * MIL (B)
Jason Marquis COL (B)
Kevin Millwood * TEX
Brett Myers PHI
Vicente Padilla * LAD (B)
Carl Pavano MIN (B)
Brad Penny SF
Odalis Perez WAS
Andy Pettitte NYY (B)
Joel Pineiro STL (B)
Sidney Ponson KC
Jason Schmidt LAD
laugh.gif

John Smoltz STL
Tim Wakefield * BOS (B)
Jarrod Washburn DET
Brandon Webb * ARZ (B)
Todd Wellemeyer STL
Randy Wolf (A)

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Relief Pitchers:[/color]
Luis Ayala FLA
Danys Baez BAL
Miguel Batista SEA
Joe Beimel COL (B)
Joaquin Benoit TEX
Rafael Betancourt * COL (A)
Chad Bradford BAL
Doug Brocail * HOU (B)
Kiko Calero FLA (B)
Elmer Dessens NYM
Brendan Donnelly FLA
Octavio Dotel CWS (A)
Alan Embree COL
Scott Eyre PHI (B)
Josh Fogg COL
Chad Fox CHC
Ryan Franklin * STL
Gary Glover WAS
Mike Gonzalez ATL (A)
Tom Gordon ARZ
John Grabow CHC (A)
Kevin Gregg CHC (A)
Eddie Guardado TEX
LaTroy Hawkins HOU (A)
Mark Hendrickson BAL
Matt Herges COL
Trevor Hoffman MIL (A)
Bobby Howry SF (B)
Jason Isringhausen TB
Masahide Kobayashi * CLE
Brandon Lyon DET (B)
Ron Mahay MIN
Gary Majewski WAS
Guillermo Mota LAD (B)
Will Ohman * LAD (B)
Darren Oliver LAA (A)
Chan Ho Park PHI (B)
Troy Percival TB
J.J. Putz * NYM
Juan Rincon COL
Fernando Rodney DET (B)
Duaner Sanchez NYM
Scott Schoeneweis ARZ
Brian Shouse * TB (B)
Rafael Soriano ATL (A)
Russ Springer TB (B)
Brett Tomko OAK
Jose Valverde HOU (A)
Claudio Vargas MIL
Ron Villone WAS
Luis Vizcaino * COL
Billy Wagner BOS (A)
Jamie Walker BAL
Jeff Weaver LAD
Kip Wells CIN
Jamey Wright KC

Third Basemen:
Adrian Beltre SEA (B)
Geoff Blum HOU
Craig Counsell MIL
Joe Crede MIN
Mark DeRosa STL (B)
Pedro Feliz * PHI
Chone Figgins LAA (B)
Troy Glaus STL (A)
Jerry Hairston NYY (B)
Mike Lamb MIL
Melvin Mora * BAL (B)
Juan Uribe SF

Its a good spot, havent been there in some time though. I like this spot off of PCH and almost Clark, i forget the name but it looks like a damn house, its onone of those corners down there. Very
pimp.gif

I like DeRosa.

Very versatile could also play 2B and he's always been known as good clubhouse / glue guy.

I think he's accumulated some injuries during the year though.

good look 562
smokin.gif

Our core group of young players have only had two full seasons of starting together. Only Broxton and Martin are into year 4.

Even then, it's not the young players that are the problems. Imagine if Colletti didn't handcuff the entire payroll by signing Schmidt, Jones, andPierre. Maybe we would have been able to supplement the roster with better players, or make a few more deadline deals.

The whole point I'm trying to make is that the roster in and of itself is fine right now. A few minor tweaks and we should be great.

Most people consider a baseball player's prime years to be 28 to 32, Ethier will be age 28 next season, with the rest of the guys a couple of years behindhim. The window is wide open right now, you guys are making it seem like we need to approach this off-season like the '94 49ers (which even if we wantedto, wouldn't work with this free agent class).

Hey, the Niners lost 2 straight seasons in a row in the NFC championship games to the Cowboys.
laugh.gif

(Sounds familiar here)

Montana departed, and they acquired the defensive pieces they needed via free agency, and big names at that.

A good #1 starter is needed, the "prospects" that are in the system are futile right now. Trade em while there's still some value.

[h1]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/10/heyman-on-dodgers-valentine.html[/h1]
[h1]Heyman On Dodgers, Valentine[/h1]
By Tim Dierkes [October 22 at 2:30pm CST]

The latest from SI's Jon Heyman...
  • Heyman, like many writers, believes the Dodgers need a #1 starter. He says Dodgers people "aren't overly optimistic" about snagging Roy Halladay or John Lackey, however.
  • Heyman believes the Dodgers should consider trading one or all of James Loney, Russell Martin, and Chad Billingsley. Billingsley was ineffective in July and September, but the 25-year-old is under team control for three more years. Interest would be very strong.

Originally Posted by FrenchBlue23

A good #1 starter is needed, the "prospects" that are in the system are futile right now. Trade em while there's still some value.
Matt Kemp isn't good enough to stay in CF. He makes too many baserunning errors, and Ks way too much. Get some value for him while you can.

Andre Ethier will never develop enough power to play full-time in a corner outfield position. Get some value for him while you can.

Calling our prospects futile is off the mark to say the least. We should trade for Halladay if the trade is there, but arms like Chris Withrow, Ethan Martinand Aaron Miller are pretty damn promising. I'd be hesitant to give any of those 3 guys up unless it meant Roy.

Wow, if it means getting someone like Halladay, bye bye Martin or Billingsley.
You would imagine that Toronto wouldn't really want either of those guys.

Billingsley is under team control for only 3 more years, and he's going to make around $5 mil in arbitration in just this first year and will probably goup in years two and three of arb.

Martin will also command close to $5 mil with 3 years left in arb, so the Blue Jays wouldn't even getting him for cheap and they have no way of knowing ifhe'll be great like he was his first full year, or serviceable (serviceable considering salary) like this year.

I'd imagine they'd want guys with no ML service time, or very little service time.

That's all going with the assumption that if they trade Halladay they're punting any chance at competing for the next 3 years. If they want to tradeHalladay but still make a run at the division then Billingsley would make great sense for them.

Originally Posted by P MAC ONE

Matt Kemp isn't good enough to stay in CF. He makes too many baserunning errors, and Ks way too much. Get some value for him while you can.

Andre Ethier will never develop enough power to play full-time in a corner outfield position. Get some value for him while you can.

Calling our prospects futile is off the mark to say the least. We should trade for Halladay if the trade is there, but arms like Chris Withrow, Ethan Martin and Aaron Miller are pretty damn promising. I'd be hesitant to give any of those 3 guys up unless it meant Roy.

Well they are right now.
laugh.gif

And I mainly meant, Dewitt, Hu, Leach, Ellis, etc...

DeWitt performed pretty well in 2008 considering the circumstances. He most likely won't be a star, but he was a first round pick and will be a valuablepiece.

Ellis is a career minor league player.

Hu's stock has dropped since he's had the vision issues, but he offers the same skill set as Juan Castro.

Leach always was and will forever be a LOOGY (Lefthanded One Out GuY) at best, I would've never considered him a "prospect.

We have some promising young arms in Withrow, Martin, Miller, Eovaldi and there are more. Dee Gordon is the shortstop at the future and looks like he'll bea great player who could steal 60+ bases. He's still very raw as he didn't play organized baseball in college due to eligibility BS, but scouts say hehas the leadership skills that you look for in a SS with the tools of a young Furcal or Rollins - he just needs to refine his defense (and he has 2 years, or 3if Furcal's 4th option year vests with PAs to do that). Ivan DeJesus is an intriguing middle IF prospect because he has good bloodlines, great platediscipline and good defense. If he develops a little more pop he could be a very useful player. We also have a pretty strong group of OF prospects. TrayvonRobinson (outta Crenshaw high), Andrew Lambo and Kyle Russell all look like future major league starters at some point and we'll get much better looks atthem against advanced pitching in AA this coming season.
There's plenty of prospects to be excited about in the system.

I would urge all of you guys to follow our prospects and farm system a lot closer this coming season. For one it adds to your understand of the game and theleague to be familiar with guys in the draft and in other teams systems, as well as makes your perspective on prospects vs future major league players muchclearer. Every star was a prospect at one point, yet the attrition rate is so high for prospects. It's a lot of fun to project guys in your system and youhave a greater knowledge base when discussing possible trades. I can still remember following pretty closely my junior year of HS when Kemp was in A ball andfinished with 27 HR and 23 SB. I used to think about how sick it would be to have a young athletic CF with 30/30 potential, makes it 1000x more sweeter to haveseen him go through struggles, make adjustments and become one of the top CF in the game.

Would ya'll trade Matt Kemp for Matt Cain ? What about Johnathan Sanchez for James Loney?
laugh.gif

Frank McCourt fired Jamie McCourt today.
laugh.gif

"You wanna divorce? Ok, take a pink slip while you're at it."
laugh.gif

-J-

Originally Posted by JBug88

Frank McCourt fired Jamie McCourt today.
laugh.gif

"You wanna divorce? Ok, take a pink slip while you're at it."
laugh.gif

-J-

BOOHAHAHAHAHA.

Get her Frank!
laugh.gif

Dodgers owner Frank McCourt has fired his wife Jamie as CEO of the team in what promises to be bitter fight over the storied baseball team, SI.com haslearned.
The McCourts are going through a divorce, and the sides are battling over the team.

Jamie McCourt was fired within the last two days, according to several sources. But this is not likely to be the last she's heard from, as she has said through lawyers that she intends to stake a claim to the franchise, which may be worth a billion dollars, or more.

Reached by phone Thursday afternoon, Frank McCourt declined comment.

laugh.gif

@#$@$ bout to get real SOUR.

Jamie McCourt is believed to be lining up investors for a possible effort to buy out her husband and gain sole control of the team. In addition, she is believed to have started calling prominent baseball figures, with the intention of arranging meetings to discuss the direction of the team.

sick.gif

Divorces never end well.

I wonder who got caught with the maid / postman.

Back
Top Bottom