|||--- OFFICIAL 2009 NHL OFF-SEASON THREAD.....BOSTON BRUINS TRADE PHIL KESSEL TO TORONTO ---|||

http://www.youtube.com/v/dneQvFRyZg4&rel=1http://www.youtube.com/v/dneQvFRyZg4&rel=1

roll.gif

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

Originally Posted by AddictedToFreshKicks

Bruins won the deal.... No way Phil Kessel is worth what the Leafs gave up.
the thing is...for bruins fans, we were as close to going all the way as we have been in SO long. and now, we lost our leading goal scorer, and we didn't even replace him. it's not like, oh we got rid of our 35 goal guy and got a 20 goal guy. we got NOTHING in return for the next couple years. by the time those draft picks that we got actually make it to the NHL, god knows what the rest of our team will be like.

like i get it, we werent going to sign him given the current roster. but you need to make it happen. if it means not signing derek morris, fine. i don't understand how signing derek morris was more important than signing kessel. the whole point of trading aaron ward for someone who we already released was to free up cap room. why that cap room wasn't used to ink kessel is beyond me. it's typical of the jacobs/oconnel regime. it sucks. you should have seen the reaction at the bars tonight as the trade flashed across the bottom of the TVs. people were like great, prospects. last season the bruins were one marquee goal scorer away from going deep...and now instead of obtaining one, we give up our biggest one.

ugh...thats my rant. im done. i really felt like the bruins and their mgmt were ready to take that next step. guess not.

Bruins still got Marco Sturm coming back.

he'll be able to add a bit more punch to the offense.

Derek Morris is a one-year contract, while Kessel is long-term. they need enough cap space to resign players next year.

Originally Posted by Ziostilon

the thing is...for bruins fans, we were as close to going all the way as we have been in SO long. and now, we lost our leading goal scorer, and we didn't even replace him. it's not like, oh we got rid of our 35 goal guy and got a 20 goal guy. we got NOTHING in return for the next couple years. by the time those draft picks that we got actually make it to the NHL, god knows what the rest of our team will be like.

like i get it, we werent going to sign him given the current roster. but you need to make it happen. if it means not signing derek morris, fine. i don't understand how signing derek morris was more important than signing kessel. the whole point of trading aaron ward for someone who we already released was to free up cap room. why that cap room wasn't used to ink kessel is beyond me. it's typical of the jacobs/oconnel regime. it sucks. you should have seen the reaction at the bars tonight as the trade flashed across the bottom of the TVs. people were like great, prospects. last season the bruins were one marquee goal scorer away from going deep...and now instead of obtaining one, we give up our biggest one.

ugh...thats my rant. im done. i really felt like the bruins and their mgmt were ready to take that next step. guess not.

Derek Morris is a one-year contract, while Kessel is long-term. they need enough cap space to resign players next year.
you don't let your leading goal scorer go so you can resign mediocore players next year. thats the formula that the bruins have used. itdoesnt work.

Got tickets to the Canucks/Flames preseason tilt in Calgary, as well as the season opener here.

Going to get punched in the face for wearing my Bure jersey to the Saddledome.
laugh.gif

you don't let your leading goal scorer go so you can resign mediocore players next year. thats the formula that the bruins have used. it doesnt work.

they do have to re-sign Wheeler, Savard and Lucic. add Mark Stuart in there too.

more than likely, management didnt envision Kessel to be their franchise player. might be attitude issues, i dont know.

maybe hope for Zach Hamill to be the next coming

you don't let your leading goal scorer go so you can resign mediocore players next year. thats the formula that the bruins have used. it doesnt work.

they do have to re-sign Wheeler, Savard and Lucic. add Mark Stuart in there too.

more than likely, management didnt envision Kessel to be their franchise player. might be attitude issues, i dont know.

maybe hope for Zach Hamill to be the next coming
attitude issues are coming out of the woodwork right now that he's gone. but i mean, i dont think you give up on him. it's not like he wasa cancer in the locker room, or anything major. he's a typcial hot shot young kid.

as far as signing others...would i rather have wheeler or kessel? kessel. savard and lucic are must haves, of course. stuart is not a must sign.

but i mean i see your point. and i think you're right, management did not envision him to be the future. fine.

btw...hamill so far in the preseason
eek.gif

It's weird that these "attitude problems" are suddenly coming up now that he's gone. I heard from other players that he was a very shy guyever since he came into the league and is not cocky etc.....listened to the coach and all that stuff.
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by cquan05

It's weird that these "attitude problems" are suddenly coming up now that he's gone. I heard from other players that he was a very shy guy ever since he came into the league and is not cocky etc.....listened to the coach and all that stuff.
ohwell.gif
ditto. it's bs. people trying to justify their actions. the only issue that ever existed was phil kessel not back-checking enough. that wastwo years ago. he got benched for a game or two, and the problem was "solved". other than that, i dont believe the attitude problems that are beingdiscussed now. no real grounds for it.

The upcoming years drafts dont look that strong, I mean comparative to previous years, so Toronto may have gotten a good deal if Kessel can keep producing moreand more. Its a tricky situation, you either suck it up and pay for the guy and let others walk, or help him pack his bags and hope it doesn't bite you inthe %!* with your compensation.

Originally Posted by cquan05

It's weird that these "attitude problems" are suddenly coming up now that he's gone.
well nobody is gonna talk bad about their teammates/players while they are still there.
Yeah I didn't mean it that way and was too lazy to edit lol.......but you will hear that type of stuff even when the guy is still on the team,you just hear it from players directly and I haven't ever heard anything negative about Kessel from his teammates.

Originally Posted by GingersAintBad

The upcoming years drafts dont look that strong, I mean comparative to previous years, so Toronto may have gotten a good deal if Kessel can keep producing more and more. Its a tricky situation, you either suck it up and pay for the guy and let others walk, or help him pack his bags and hope it doesn't bite you in the %!* with your compensation.
QFT.....exactly what I said when this trade first happened.

There were rumblings about Kessel's attitude and commitment when he was at Minnesota...I heard about this in the days leading up to him being drafted. Thisis the reason why the Caps took Backstrom with the #4 over Kessel....if there were people saying things about this behind closed doors, I wouldn't besurprised.

Back
Top Bottom