Official 2010 FIFA World Cup Draw Thread

my boys in red....South Korea....and maybe a little love on the side for the communists north of the border

The only soccer event I watch
pimp.gif
...Hopefully US does well this World Cup

As of right now, you've got to say that Spain and Brazil are the two favorites to win the World Cup.

Looking at their "line-ups" I'm giving Spain the edge...just look at this
sick.gif
eek.gif
(haven't included call-up which Torres is in)

I'm liking their chemistry better.

Argentina is a huge mess...I don't have any clue on how fans are dealing with it (wanna shed light CT?)

[table][tr][th=""]Goalkeepers[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Iker Casillas (captain)[/td] [td]20 May 1981 (1981-05-20) (age 28)[/td] [td] Real Madrid[/td] [td]101 (0)[/td] [td]v
22px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png
Sweden, 3 June 2000[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Pepe Reina[/td] [td]31 August 1982 (1982-08-31) (age 27)[/td] [td] Liverpool[/td] [td]19 (0)[/td] [td]v
22px-Flag_of_Uruguay.svg.png
Uruguay, 17 August 2005[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Diego López[/td] [td]11 August 1981 (1981-08-11) (age 28)[/td] [td] Villarreal[/td] [td]1 (0)[/td] [td]v
22px-Flag_of_Macedonia.svg.png
Macedonia, 12 August 2009[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Defenders[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Raúl Albiol[/td] [td]4 September 1985 (1985-09-04) (age 24)[/td] [td] Real Madrid[/td] [td]21 (0)[/td] [td]v
22px-Flag_of_Denmark.svg.png
Denmark, 13 October 2007[/td] [/tr][tr][td]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Álvaro_Arbeloa[/td][/tr][/table]

Spain has always had talent, it's never been an issue. If you look back at their past 2 WC performances, they won all 6 of their group stage matches onlyto bow out meekly in the KO stage.

As great as Fabregas has been this year, he may not even start for Spain when the WC rolls around. When Senna was healthy, Fabregas usually came off the bench.However, with Fabregas being in such great form, Spain will probably have to go with a line-up that includes him in the starting line-up.

BTW, any news about Senna? Will he be re-called once he's back to 100%? Spain's midfield depth is scary...Senna, Xavi, Xabi, Iniesta, Fabregas, etc.

This may be the best Spain team of all time and anything less than a WC win will be a huge let down for their fans.

Argentina is a huge mess...I don't have any clue on how fans are dealing with it (wanna shed light CT?)
I'm not an Argentina fan but their situation appears to be similar to France's. A team with tons of talent at almost every position butthey cant find the right mix to string together some good results. As much as I hate Domenech, at least he has some coaching credentials, unlike Maradona(who's NEVER been on the sidelines, even as an assistant). He was just handed the job because he's one of the best players of all time
smh.gif

Look at Argentina's depth up front...Higuian, Tevez, Aguero, Messi, Milito. I'd have nightmares too as a coach if I had to choose only 2 of those guysas starters. Argentina has a bunch of other problems as well such as the lack of a creative AM/CM to make things easier for their strikers. And how aboutMaradona's squad selection...Gabriel Heinze as a regular starter. Really?

We'll see how the groups fair. I think Argentina will still be seeded as a "Pot 1" team when the WC draw comes around so they shouldn't havemuch trouble advancing out of their group.

Originally Posted by Prolific Sole

FORZA ITALIA!!!!!!!

.....that is all.
Is Mario Balotelli Getting called up for the World Cup for Italy.. If he doesn't
tired.gif
tired.gif

Originally Posted by kingkb34

I usually never watch soccer but this has me intrigued.
One World Cup is all it takes.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Best sporting event in the world.

i have a feeling
didier and co't dvoire will make some noise.
they are gonna be the team to watch.

don't count out the argentines, their attack is
pimp.gif

this is the only time i believe that portugal will have a chance at a world cup.

the top teams will not disapppoint spain, brazil
this is gonna be a world cup for all ages.

I'm so hyped for the world cup! I'll be watching it from Guatemala when I'm on vacation
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by King Beef

They need to replay that France vs Ireland game. Pronto!
Nah.

Ireland got screwed but terrible ref. decisions happen all the time. If FIFA orders a replay of that match then they are opening up a huge can of worms. Everytime a ref. makes a wrong decision, clubs/NTs will ask for a replay.

I mean, can you imagine a similar incident like that happening in the WC finals and then FIFA ordering a replay 2 days later?
laugh.gif

FIFA needs to institute video replay for goals (to see if the ball crossed the line) or any incident within the box that can lead to a goal (a handball or afoul within the box).

About the Ivory Coast, this team has been supposed to make a "splash" for quite a while now but they always mess up in big games. Their defence issomewhat leaky because these guys are always trying to go forward to score goals
laugh.gif
. They allowed 6 goals in 3 matches in the last WC...and then they allow 4 goals each to Egypt and Ghana in the 08 ACN
smh.gif

They're still my bet to make the ACN finals and make Africa proud in the WC.

I think that if both teams agree to replay it they should. But France would never agree. Ireland wouldn't replay if they were in France's position.

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

France is a wash as well.

No they're not. The only reason they didn't dominate in their qualifications is the coach. What the hell is Domenech still doing occupying that job.

But break down France's squad player by player and you'll see how amazingly talented they are.
if Domenech would sacrifice talent for balance in his side, they have a chance...starting Henry, Anelka and Gignac at the same time is not goingto get them anywhere, thats three players that arent going to do much defensive work

Argentina has a chance if Maradona stops bringing in players like Palermo when he could be playing Lisandro..i know alot has been said about his tactics but tobring in Cambiasso for the first time after qualification is already at hand is ridiculous

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Originally Posted by King Beef

They need to replay that France vs Ireland game. Pronto!
Nah.

Ireland got screwed but terrible ref. decisions happen all the time. If FIFA orders a replay of that match then they are opening up a huge can of worms. Every time a ref. makes a wrong decision, clubs/NTs will ask for a replay.

I mean, can you imagine a similar incident like that happening in the WC finals and then FIFA ordering a replay 2 days later?
laugh.gif

FIFA needs to institute video replay for goals (to see if the ball crossed the line) or any incident within the box that can lead to a goal (a handball or a foul within the box).
Couldn't have said this better myself. All sports need replay, even if it is a minor handball in the box, it could change the game.

What is more important - "tradition" or getting the call right?

France is a wash cause karma will run its course.
laugh.gif
I hope they go down to South Africa in the Knock Outs. That would be wonderful. I never excepted areplay for Ireland, but hopefully this gets the ball rolling on a limited replay system, similar to baseball. The technology is there and was created for areason, use it!

Back
Top Bottom