Official 2011 San Francisco Giants Season Thread (86-76) 2nd Place in NL West

Great comeback tonight
pimp.gif

Anyone listen to the Rockies announcers call on Freddy's game-winner? Apparently, we are "the hated Giants."
laugh.gif

Anyone listen to the Rockies announcers call on Freddy's game-winner? Apparently, we are "the hated Giants."
laugh.gif

[table][tr][th="col"]C. Mortensen Col
blank_player2.gif
[/th] [td]vs.[/td] [th="col"]M. Bumgarner SF
8590.jpg
[/th] [/tr][tr][td]0-0[/td] [th="row"]Record[/th] [td]0-5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]0.00[/td] [th="row"]ERA[/th] [td]4.75[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3[/td] [th="row"]K[/th] [td]23[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2[/td] [th="row"]BB[/th] [td]12[/td] [/tr][tr][td]0.50[/td] [th="row"]WHIP[/th] [td]1.52[/td][/tr][/table]
Rowand, CF
Sanchez, 2B
Fontenot, SS
Posey, C
Huff, 1B
Burrell, LF
Schierholtz, RF
Tejada, 3B
Bumgarner, LHP

Article from SI by Tom Verducci,
[h3][/h3]
[h3]Lincecum beefed up and heating up[/h3]
Last August, toward the end of the worst month of his baseball life, a pale, wan Tim Lincecum sat across from Giants manager Bruce Bochy and heard an alarm bell. Bochy reminded Lincecum that he needed to pay attention to his nutrition, conditioning and between-starts work. Lincecum promptly tweaked his workouts and began arriving earlier to the ballpark to make certain he had all the time he needed to keep up his strength.

That moment was the beginning of an important discovery for Lincecum that just might make him a better pitcher: He likes packing on some muscle. He continued training harder this offseason and spring, and now pitches at 178 pounds, up from "155 or 160 maybe," he said.

"You know what? I found out I like putting in the work, I like the gym, I like the way I look and the way I feel," Lincecum said Thursday after knocking Christy Mathewson from his 95-year stay in the Giants record book for most career 10-strikeout games (29). "And the more I work the more I need to eat."

Lincecum is a notorious chow hound, or as he put it, "I eat what I like. I eat for taste. I'm not a guy who eats a whole lot of vegetables. I don't like them. They don't like me. It's mutual."

Lincecum is noticeably stronger, and the difference shows on the mound. Against the Mets Thursday he consistently brought back the 94 mph fastball above a hitter's hands, a pitch that would go missing for him the past two years. Not only did Lincecum throw 127 pitches, he also whiffed the final five batters he faced.

"His velocity picked up and he maintains it better with added strength," Bochy said.

After seven starts, when Lincecum goes past 75 pitches he has held batters to a .220 batting average with no home runs and a 4:1 strikeout-to-walk ratio. Last year those benchmarks were a .254 average, four home runs and a 2.3:1 strikeout-to-walk ratio.

After this season, the Giants are looking at two more arbitration-eligible seasons for Lincecum, who already is working from a base salary of $14 million. It makes sense for the Giants to follow the industry trend and lock him up to a long-term deal that buys out not just arbitration years but some free-agent years. A more fit, stronger Lincecum, who turns 27 next month, can only make that long-term investment more attractive to the Giants.
[h3]Pitch count watch[/h3]
Bochy had no problems extending Lincecum in the first week of May past 125 pitches. Said the Giants manager, "I think it builds strength and stamina. For us, one of the things we're able to do is give the starters an extra day whenever we have an off day. We don't line anybody up to throw on the fifth day every time. When we have the chance to get them an extra day, we get it for them."

Lincecum and C.J. Wilson of Texas made it 10 starts already this season in which a pitcher threw 125 pitches or more -- by 10 different starters. That's more 125-pitch games through May 5 this year than occurred by the same date of the past five years combined.

[table][tr][th="col"]C. Mortensen Col
blank_player2.gif
[/th] [td]vs.[/td] [th="col"]M. Bumgarner SF
8590.jpg
[/th] [/tr][tr][td]0-0[/td] [th="row"]Record[/th] [td]0-5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]0.00[/td] [th="row"]ERA[/th] [td]4.75[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3[/td] [th="row"]K[/th] [td]23[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2[/td] [th="row"]BB[/th] [td]12[/td] [/tr][tr][td]0.50[/td] [th="row"]WHIP[/th] [td]1.52[/td][/tr][/table]
Rowand, CF
Sanchez, 2B
Fontenot, SS
Posey, C
Huff, 1B
Burrell, LF
Schierholtz, RF
Tejada, 3B
Bumgarner, LHP

Article from SI by Tom Verducci,
[h3][/h3]
[h3]Lincecum beefed up and heating up[/h3]
Last August, toward the end of the worst month of his baseball life, a pale, wan Tim Lincecum sat across from Giants manager Bruce Bochy and heard an alarm bell. Bochy reminded Lincecum that he needed to pay attention to his nutrition, conditioning and between-starts work. Lincecum promptly tweaked his workouts and began arriving earlier to the ballpark to make certain he had all the time he needed to keep up his strength.

That moment was the beginning of an important discovery for Lincecum that just might make him a better pitcher: He likes packing on some muscle. He continued training harder this offseason and spring, and now pitches at 178 pounds, up from "155 or 160 maybe," he said.

"You know what? I found out I like putting in the work, I like the gym, I like the way I look and the way I feel," Lincecum said Thursday after knocking Christy Mathewson from his 95-year stay in the Giants record book for most career 10-strikeout games (29). "And the more I work the more I need to eat."

Lincecum is a notorious chow hound, or as he put it, "I eat what I like. I eat for taste. I'm not a guy who eats a whole lot of vegetables. I don't like them. They don't like me. It's mutual."

Lincecum is noticeably stronger, and the difference shows on the mound. Against the Mets Thursday he consistently brought back the 94 mph fastball above a hitter's hands, a pitch that would go missing for him the past two years. Not only did Lincecum throw 127 pitches, he also whiffed the final five batters he faced.

"His velocity picked up and he maintains it better with added strength," Bochy said.

After seven starts, when Lincecum goes past 75 pitches he has held batters to a .220 batting average with no home runs and a 4:1 strikeout-to-walk ratio. Last year those benchmarks were a .254 average, four home runs and a 2.3:1 strikeout-to-walk ratio.

After this season, the Giants are looking at two more arbitration-eligible seasons for Lincecum, who already is working from a base salary of $14 million. It makes sense for the Giants to follow the industry trend and lock him up to a long-term deal that buys out not just arbitration years but some free-agent years. A more fit, stronger Lincecum, who turns 27 next month, can only make that long-term investment more attractive to the Giants.
[h3]Pitch count watch[/h3]
Bochy had no problems extending Lincecum in the first week of May past 125 pitches. Said the Giants manager, "I think it builds strength and stamina. For us, one of the things we're able to do is give the starters an extra day whenever we have an off day. We don't line anybody up to throw on the fifth day every time. When we have the chance to get them an extra day, we get it for them."

Lincecum and C.J. Wilson of Texas made it 10 starts already this season in which a pitcher threw 125 pitches or more -- by 10 different starters. That's more 125-pitch games through May 5 this year than occurred by the same date of the past five years combined.

Originally Posted by RaWeX05

laugh.gif

If anything, they're the "hated Rockies" because of all of the crazy comebacks they've pulled off at Coors. No reason for SF to be the "hated Giants", well at least not yet.

Originally Posted by RaWeX05

laugh.gif

If anything, they're the "hated Rockies" because of all of the crazy comebacks they've pulled off at Coors. No reason for SF to be the "hated Giants", well at least not yet.

Good win, but its pathetic that Rowand & Fontenot are carrying the team right now.

Good win, but its pathetic that Rowand & Fontenot are carrying the team right now.

Back
Top Bottom