Official 2012 Boxing Thread: JMM/Manny IV - FOTY.

Ward having shoulder surgery.

Super middleweight champion Andre Ward's right shoulder injury is more serious than originally thought and he will need surgery, forcing his already postponed title defense against former middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik to be canceled, a Ward camp source told ESPN.com on Wednesday night and Pavlik's manager, Cameron Dunkin, confirmed.

Ward injured the shoulder during a sparring session in late November, forcing the Jan. 26 HBO main event -- slated to be on the first boxing card at the Galen Center on the USC campus in Los Angeles -- to be postponed. Promoter Dan Goossen and HBO had planned to reschedule the fight on March 2 at a venue to be determined because the Galen Center was not available on the new date.

Reached while on a family vacation, Dan Goossen, Ward's promoter, declined to discuss the situation Wednesday night.

Dunkin told ESPN.com that he was notified Wednesday night by Top Rank's Bob Arum, Pavlik's promoter, that Ward would be sidelined for an extended period.

Rafael's Boxing Blog
Get the latest scoop and analysis on the world of boxing from ESPN.com's Dan Rafael in his blog.

"Bob called me up and told me the fight was out and said, 'What are we gonna do with Pavlik?' He said Goossen called him and told him that Ward needed shoulder surgery," Dunkin said. "So I don't know what we're gonna do, but we're going to move forward and get Kelly a fight and get him back in the ring.

"I sent him a text to let him know what was up because I couldn't get in touch with him."

Pavlik was a significant underdog against Ward, but Dunkin said he went along with the fight because it was what Pavlik (40-2, 34 KOs), 30, of Youngstown, Ohio, wanted.

"I wasn't jumping up and down for the fight," Dunkin said. "I wasn't excited for it, but it's something Kelly wanted and that is my job, to create opportunities for my clients. Kelly told me that fighting Ward was what he wanted to do. He said to get the fight done, so sometimes that's what you gotta do. And now we will look for something else."

Right after Ward suffered the injury during a sparring session with Tony Hirsch, Goossen told ESPN.com, "He felt a little tweak [in his shoulder] when he threw a punch and stopped immediately. He didn't really think it was that damaging at first, but he certainly felt pain. He went to the doctor and followed up with an MRI. It disclosed no tears, no rotator cuff injury, nothing of devastating proportions, but there was a lot of swelling and inflammation so the key to healing is not using the arm for a few weeks."

Ward, 28, of Oakland, Calif., unified 168-pound titles in the final of the Super Six World Boxing Classic in December 2011 with a dominant decision victory against Carl Froch to lock up fighter of the year honors. But Ward, one of the top pound-for-pound fighters in the world and a 2004 Olympic gold medalist, was limited to one fight in 2012, partly because of a fractured right hand he suffered in his final sparring session before the fight with Froch. Ward fought Froch with the injury.

In his only fight of 2012, Ward (26-0, 14 KOs) scored a dominant 10th-round knockout of light heavyweight champion Chad Dawson, who came down in weight, on Sept. 8.

The cancelation of Ward-Pavlik leaves in limbo the co-feature, a heavyweight world title elimination fight between Cristobal Arreola (35-2, 30 KOs) and Bermane Stiverne (22-1-1, 20 KOs). The winner of the fight, which is likely to be rescheduled, will become the mandatory challenger for titleholder Vitali Klitschko.

ESPN Round of the Year.

One of the many reasons why boxing is so great is that because, unlike any other sport except MMA, it truly isn't over 'til it's over.

You can't hit a five-run homer or score a nine-point touchdown. But in boxing, a fighter can have lost every moment of a fight and still miraculously find the knockout punch to win it with one second left.

Rafael's rounds of the year
2012: S. Martinez-J.C. Chavez Jr. (12th)
2011: James Kirkland-A. Angulo (1st)
2010: J.M. Marquez-M. Katsidis (3rd)
2009: J.M. Marquez-Juan Diaz I (1st)
2008: Kendall Holt-Ricardo Torres II (1st)
2007: Israel Vazquez-R. Marquez II (3rd)
2006: Sithchatchawal-Monshipour (9th)
2005: D. Corrales-J.L. Castillo I (10th)
2004: M.A. Barrera-E. Morales III (11th)
2003: Acelino Freitas-J. Barrios (11th)
2002: Micky Ward-Arturo Gatti I (9th)
2001: Micky Ward-Emanuel Burton (9th)
2000: Erik Morales-M.A. Barrera I (5th)

So when middleweight titlist Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. went into the final round against lineal champion Sergio Martinez on Sept. 15 at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas, everyone knew that he was way behind -- but that there was also that wing and a prayer of landing one big blow, even though Martinez had been cleaning his clock in a one-sided rout.

To Chavez's credit, he never gave up. He comes by it honestly, because anyone who knows boxing knows the legend of his all-time great father, Julio Cesar Chavez Sr.

Remember, in 1990, when Chavez Sr. met Meldrick Taylor in a much-anticipated junior welterweight unification bout in Las Vegas but was hopelessly trailing and in need of a miracle knockout in the 12th round in order to preserve his title and undefeated record? Senior dropped Taylor in shocking fashion and referee Richard Steele, in one of the most debated calls in boxing history, stopped the fight with two seconds left, giving Chavez the mother of all comebacks.

Could the son replicate that drama and save his own undefeated record and title? He came awfully close, but ultimately couldn't, eventually losing a lopsided decision. Still, the 12th round of the fight -- with Chavez's go-for-broke near-knockout and Martinez's incredible heart to carry on after getting dropped -- was one of the most dramatic in boxing history and the 2012 ESPN.com round of the year.

The round helped Chavez salvage a measure of his reputation and turned a blowout into cause for a probable rematch in 2013. It was that exhilarating.

Chavez stalked Martinez in the first minute and then, with 1:45 left, finally broke through, landing a sweeping right hand that rocked Martinez. Chavez continued to punch while Martinez, with blood streaming from a cut over his left eye, fired back in a tremendous exchange.

Then Chavez backed Martinez into the ropes, and it happened:

He staggered Martinez with a left hook that forced him to duck his head briefly between the ropes and then cracked him with two more lefts on the chin and a right hand, and Martinez fell to his rear end.

The sheer drama of the moment sent a jolt of human electricity surging through the arena as the sold-out pro-Chavez crowd of 19,186, finally given something to cheer, erupted in pandemonium on Mexican Independence Day.

ESPN.com Boxing on Twitter
Don't miss any of the latest boxing coverage from around the world. Follow us on Twitter and stay informed. Join »

Using the ropes to support him, Martinez dragged himself off the mat, took the count from referee Tony Weeks with 1:18 to go, banged his gloves together and waded back into battle.

"Chavez has his chance," exclaimed HBO's Jim Lampley. "They're on their feet in Vegas!"

Chavez banged away at a still-hurt Martinez, landing about a half-dozen shots as HBO's Max Kellerman called out, "Shades of Meldrick Taylor and his father!"

After Martinez went down on a slip with a minute left, Chavez continued to pound away. But Martinez, instead of running or holding, stood his ground and fired back until the end.

"High drama down the stretch," Lampley said at the final bell. "Julio Cesar Chavez made his dramatic bid to match what his father did on St. Patrick's Day 1990 against Meldrick Taylor and almost pulled it off, but Martinez held on. Without holding on, without running, he fought his way through!"

Other scorchers

Juan Manuel Marquez-Manny Pacquiao IV (fifth): Marquez and Pacquiao have now waged 42 rounds against each other through four outstanding fights, and this round just might be the best of them all. Pacquiao was down in the third round but evened the knockdown total in this memorable frame. He hurt Marquez with a straight left hand that sent him reeling and forced him to touch his glove to the canvas for a knockdown with 1:50 to go. Marquez was badly hurt, but he responded by landing a nasty right hand flush on Pacquiao, who walked through it and had Marquez wobbly and ready to go after landing a right-hand bomb with 40 seconds left. Pacquiao was teeing off and going for the knockout, but the bloodied Marquez would not go down. He kept punching back as the round closed in violent, sustained action between the great rivals.

[+] Enlarge
Peter Amador/Top Rank
Before Orlando Salido stopped Juan Manuel Lopez in the 10th round of their rematch, they traded fire over and over in a frenzied ninth.
Orlando Salido-Juan Manuel Lopez II (ninth): In an all-action rematch, Mexico's Salido wound up stopping Lopez in front of his Puerto Rican fans in the 10th round to retain the featherweight belt he had won from him in 2011. It was a great fight and this was the best round, taking the drama to an even higher level than in the outstanding eighth round. Salido and Lopez, whose faces were showing the brutality of the fight, slugged away at each other from the outset. The fighters went on to rip each other with clean shots for virtually the entire round as Lopez's fans went wild. "One of the great rounds we've seen this year," Showtime's Gus Johnson said. Absolutely.

Brandon Rios-Mike Alvarado (fifth): The entire junior welterweight fight between these brawlers was filled with intense back-and-forth action, but this round was something special, particularly the last minute or so. Alvarado, whose face was swelling, badly rocked Rios with head shots and looked like he had him in trouble early. A right hand did damage that sent Rios' head wobbling, and Alvarado hurt him with an uppercut and repeated right hands. But Rios, with a great chin, somehow stayed up and, seemingly in the worst kind of trouble, suddenly rallied. He closed the final 30 seconds of the round with raging fury, landing thunderous shots that Alvarado stood up to and took like a champ.

Danny Garcia-Amir Khan (fourth): This junior welterweight unification fight had been a thrilling shootout until Garcia got the dramatic upset knockout with 32 seconds left in this tremendous round. Khan had been down in the third and his balance was still off in the fourth as Garcia dropped him (for the second time in the round's first 10 seconds) with a series of right hands that forced him to touch his knee to the canvas. Garcia continued to attack, but Khan rallied to turn this into an ultra-dramatic, action-packed round. Despite an enormous heart, Khan could last for only so long as Garcia landed a left hook on top of Khan's head, dropping him to his back side. Khan jumped right up but was wobbly, prompting referee Kenny Bayless to stop the fight.

Brian Viloria-Hernan "Tyson" Marquez (fifth): The best round of a sensational flyweight title unification fight featured Marquez staggering Viloria with a heavy right hand and unloading dozens of punches to batter him around the ring. But as Marquez tired, Viloria began to unload in a sizzling exchange. He landed several shots, including a left-right combination that dropped Marquez against the ropes. There was still a minute left in the round, and when the fight resumed, they were back at it, banging away for the remainder of the round.

Mike Alvarado-Mauricio Herrera (second): The junior welterweights slugged it out for 10 thrilling rounds, but this round was the best in a fight that featured sustained and hellacious action.

[+] Enlarge
AP Photo/Jae C. Hong
After surviving an early onslaught in the seventh round, Andre Berto rocked Robert Guerrero -- until Guerrero charged back again.
Robert Guerrero-Andre Berto (seventh): Berto had already been down twice in this interim welterweight title bout when he was hurt by left uppercuts in this action-packed round. He rebounded to land hard right uppercuts, but Guerrero showed a tremendous chin. He was the one hurting Berto at the end of the round, sending him staggering back to his corner.

Stephane Jamoye-Lee Haskins (sixth): YouTube this baby and you won't be sorry. Belgium's Jamoye, who won the European bantamweight title from England's Haskins on an eighth-round knockout, got knocked down in the round and ate all kinds of leather before coming back to do damage as they both went for broke, caveman-style.

Marco Huck-Ola Afolabi II (12th): With the outcome of this rematch and Huck's cruiserweight title on the table in the final round, the fighters emptied their tanks. The technique wasn't pretty, but they were swinging at each other like desperate, drunken sailors in a blazing action round to conclude what turned out to be a draw.

Wilfredo Vazquez Jr.-Jonathan Oquendo (fifth): Oquendo took the fight with former junior featherweight titlist Vazquez on short notice, but the Puerto Rican rivals produced a heated scrap that really picked up in the fifth round, during which Oquendo rocked Vazquez and turned his legs to jelly. Vazquez touched his glove down, but the referee missed it and the battle raged on.

Raymundo Beltran-Ji-Hoon Kim (first): These action brawlers, both known for good fights, delivered against each other in the opening frame, trading knockdowns. Beltran was floored by a left hook, but he came back to stagger Kim with a left hook before knocking him down hard (and nearly out of the ring) with another big left hand.

Completely agree with top two rounds of the year.

Nothing to say about Sergio vs JCC Jr. that was just crazy

But Kirkland v Angulo was insane too. I remember watching it live and having max kellerman commenting about how kirkland is back with Anne Wolff and how she trained him for a dog fight and in crazy intense conditions. Kirkland gets knocked down early and I thought he would crumble like he did against that random Asian guy last fight. But he got back up i was yelling for him to hold on lol. The whole crowd was pro angulo. Then with about a minute left.....Kirkland mounted the come back

It's not going to end any differently, he's the same fighter regardless if it's Freddie in his corner or Garcia or Nacho. Unless Sergio is slowed significantly by the knee, it'll be the same fight. JCC won't touch him early.

could be much different fight, could be the same fight . Sergio was Badly hurt. that could totally effect how he approaches the next fight

If JCC threw in a couple straight punches or body shots in that 12 once he knocked Martinez down, he ends Sergio's reign on the top.

We'll see I guess. I think we've all just seen enough of him to know what he is at this point, I'm not gonna bank on him coming out and hitting Sergio. I personally think Sergio comes out more aggressive and gives him something to think about when he starts to step forward.

Prospect of the year: David Price.

British heavyweight David Price first set foot in a boxing gym at age 11, but he didn't like it.

"I tagged along with some older lads," he said. "I was big for my age, so I sparred with the older lads. I didn't like it and I went back and played football -- what you call soccer. That was my big passion."

Rafael's prospects of the year
2012: David Price
2011: Gary Russell Jr.
2010: Canelo Alvarez
2009: Daniel Jacobs
2008: Victor Ortiz
2007: Amir Khan
2006: Andre Berto
2005: Joel Julio
2004: Samuel Peter
2003: Jermain Taylor
2002: Miguel Cotto
2001: Francisco Bojado
2000: Julio Diaz

But when Price realized he wasn't good enough to play his chosen sport professionally, he gave boxing another chance when he was 14 and a friend asked him to come along to the gym.

"When I went back, I liked everything about it," Price said. "I liked the smell of leather and the gloves. I was training and they put me in some sparring. I loved it. From there, I carried on. I was obsessed."

That obsession led the Liverpool native to approximately a 75-15 amateur record, including a bronze medal in the 2008 Beijing Olympics. Four years later, he's one of boxing's hottest rising stars and the 2012 ESPN.com prospect of the year.

At 6-foot-8, 250 pounds -- and with a thunderous right hand -- Price (15-0, 13 KOs), 29, is built like a 21st-century heavyweight and has tremendous upside in a division in need of new blood. He is on the verge of major fights after going 4-0 in 2012 and requiring fewer than eight full rounds to crush his opponents.

He buzzed through some of Britain's most well-known heavyweights: John McDermott (first-round knockout), Sam Sexton (KO4, to win the vacant British and Commonwealth titles), 2000 Olympic gold medalist and former world title challenger Audley Harrison (KO1) and ex-world title challenger Matt Skelton (KO2).

Price is taking a significant step up in competition on Feb. 23 (WealthTV) in Liverpool against American Tony Thompson, the longtime contender whose two world title shots ended in knockout losses to champ Wladimir Klitschko, the man many expect Price to eventually face.

But Price, who is trained by Frannie Smith, is in no hurry.

"I have got expectations of myself, but with 15 fights, I'm still gaining experience," said Price, who lives with his girlfriend and their two children. "It's a compliment to me at an early stage of my career that people think I can challenge Klitschko. But I've only been a pro four years. I could be knocking on the door by the end of [2013]. If I can do a better job on Thompson than Klitschko did, that can propel me. That's massive motivation for me.

Don't miss any of the latest boxing coverage from around the world. Follow us on Twitter and stay informed. Join »

"I do want to move on to world level. When I get there, I want to stay there, not just be a guy who fought for the world title and put up a good showing. I want to win it and stay there. I think it'd be foolish to think I could beat Wladimir or [older brother and fellow titlist] Vitali [Klitschko] right now. They've been at the top for so long. Ability-wise, I could probably match them, but experience comes into it. I have to get stronger and get rounds under my belt. That will come. It's not that I lack self-belief. It's being realistic."

Promoter Frank Maloney knows a thing or two about developing heavyweights. He was the guiding force behind Lennox Lewis' ascent to the championship. He believes Price can follow in those large footsteps.

"I see a lot of Lennox Lewis in David Price," said Maloney, who was so anxious to sign Price that he did so just after being hospitalized following a heart attack. "I was on the verge of walking away from boxing, but he signed with me the day before my heart operation.

"David is a clinical finisher. When David gets you in trouble, he will not take a backward step. He will finish you, and that's what excites you. The right hand is unbelievable and he's learned to deliver it like a bolt. I'm beginning to believe that David has improved so much that if he doesn't win a world title I will count myself as a failure and I'll walk away from boxing. It will be the biggest disappointment of my life."

Price said Maloney shouldn't worry.

"I do really believe if I fulfill my potential, I can achieve the heavyweight championship," he said. "I will do everything in my power to make it happen."

The rest of the Super 20 (in alphabetical order with age, division and record)

[+] Enlarge
AP Photo/Gregory Payan
Heavyweight Magomed Abdusalamov may be older for a prospect, but a strong amateur pedigree and punishing power point to a legitimate pro future.
Magomed Abdusalamov (31, heavyweight, 16-0, 16 KOs): A 6-foot-3, 229-pound Russian southpaw based in Oxnard, Calif., he's older than your usual prospect but only turned pro in 2008 after a standout amateur career. As a pro, he has shown great power, stopping every opponent inside four rounds. In going 4-0 in 2012, Abdusalamov scored solid wins against faded contender Jameel McCline (TKO2) and Maurice Byarm (TKO2).

Demetrius Andrade (24, junior middleweight, 18-0, 13 KOs): The Providence, R.I., southpaw was a star amateur whose accolades include a world amateur title and a 2008 Olympic berth. He needed just five rounds to win three fights in 2012, but fought extremely weak opposition that was a step down from a 2011 win over former "Contender" champion Grady Brewer. Andrade has all the tools, but he needs his handlers to step him up.

Jose Benavidez Jr. (20, junior welterweight, 17-0, 13 KOs): Phoenix's Benavidez has been boxing since he was 6, turned pro at 17 on a special waiver from Nevada and is viewed by many as a sure-fire future champion after going 120-5 as an amateur and winning a 2009 National Golden Gloves title at 16 (the youngest to accomplish that). Even though he was 3-0 in 2012, the year was a little shaky. Besides ongoing hand problems, he was badly hurt late in an October fight he was winning easily against Pavel Miranda.

Randy Caballero (22, junior featherweight, 17-0, 9 KOs): The Coachella, Calif., native has become a good draw in his home region. He went 4-0 in 2012 and got plenty of TV time as he continued to improve. As an amateur, he was 167-10, including a 2008 U.S. national championship and a bronze medal at the 2008 world amateur championships, but was too young to qualify for the 2008 Olympics. His boxing skills are solid, but promoter Golden Boy would like to see him gain strength and improve his conditioning.

Jermell Charlo (22, junior middleweight, 19-0, 9 KOs): Trained by Ronnie Shields, Houston's Charlo was just 17 when he turned pro in 2007. He hadn't distinguished himself, but in 2012, Charlo began to turn the corner. He has gained power with physical maturity and begun to let his hands go. His 1-2 jab-right hand combination is quick as a whip. He was 3-0 in 2012, including back-to-back wins against the best opponents of his career, Chris Chatman (TKO3) and Denis Douglin (KO5).

[+] Enlarge
Al Bello/Getty Images
Featherweight Javier Fortuna's speed and style call to mind those of gym mate Sergio Martinez.
Javier Fortuna (23, featherweight, 21-0, 15 KOs): Fortuna, a southpaw from the Dominican Republic, has tremendous hand and foot speed and has scored some eye-catching knockouts. He fights out of the same gym as middleweight champ Sergio Martinez and often imitates his unorthodox style. He was 3-0 in 2012, culminating the year with a decision against Patrick Hyland to claim an interim belt.

Carl Frampton (25, junior featherweight, 15-0, 10 KOs): Northern Ireland's Frampton had an excellent amateur career before going pro under the guidance of manager Barry McGuigan, the Hall of Fame former featherweight champion. Frampton, who is moving quickly toward a world title shot, is a relentless crowd-pleaser with good skills and power. Already the Commonwealth champion, "The Jackal" scored his best win in September, a sixth-round knockout of former world titlist Steve Molitor to set up a Feb. 9 shot at European champion Kiko Martinez.

Bryant Jennings (28, heavyweight, 16-0, 8 KOs): Philadelphia's Jennings went from unknown to hot prospect thanks to going 5-0 in 2012 and becoming a TV staple. He's not a huge heavyweight (6-foot-2, 225) and not a big puncher, but he's busy with his hands and a hard worker. He scored his best win in March, a ninth-round knockout of ex-titleholder Sergey Liakhovich.

Sergey Kovalev (29, light heavyweight, 19-0-1, 17 KOs): Born in Russia and based in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., Kovalev could be a diamond in the rough who was initially passed over. He's physically strong and aggressive. He went 2-0 (both KOs inside three rounds) in 2012, so he needs to fight more often. But he says he's willing to fight anyone and will back it up by taking a risky step-up fight against ex-titlist Gabriel Campillo on Jan. 19.

[+] Enlarge
Chris Farina/Top Rank
Junior featherweight Jessie Magdaleno would have been a 2012 Olympics medal favorite but instead chose to turn pro, going 6-0 in an impressive year.
Jessie Magdaleno (21, junior featherweight, 13-0, 9 KOs): Las Vegas' Magdaleno, younger brother of junior lightweight contender Diego Magdaleno, has massive potential for stardom. The southpaw has a strong amateur foundation and an exciting style. As an amateur, he went 120-16 and won six major titles, including the 2009 U.S. nationals and National Golden Gloves. He would have been a 2012 Olympic medal favorite but elected to turn pro in late 2010. He went 6-0 in 2012, including a first-round knockout of former Puerto Rican Olympian Carlos Valcarcel, who was expected to test him.

Antonio Orozco (25, junior welterweight, 16-0, 12 KOs): Orozco, who grew up in Garden City, Kan., spent time living in Mexico and now lives in San Diego, has flown a bit under the radar, but he's a stud. "Simple Man" is a pressure fighter with good power and a fan-friendly style. He works the body very well, is relentless with his combinations and simply wears opponents down. He was 4-0 (all KOs) in 2012 and just needs experience.

Jose Pedraza (23, lightweight, 11-0, 7 KOs): A 2008 Olympian and 2009 silver medalist at the amateur world championships, "The Sniper" is one of Puerto Rico's top prospects. He was 5-0 in 2012, and although he hasn't been tested yet, Pedraza displays a strong jab, an excellent body attack and poise beyond his years.

Scott Quigg (24, junior featherweight, 25-0-1, 18 KOs): England's Quigg joined elite company as the winner of the 2012 "Best Young Boxer of the Year," given by the British Writers Club. Quigg, who has fast hands and a crowd-pleasing style, was 2-0-1 in 2012. In a November rematch with Rendall Munroe -- their first fight ended in a technical draw -- Quigg was outstanding, dismantling Munroe with a withering body attack for a sixth-round knockout to win an interim belt.

Ivan Redkach (26, lightweight, 13-0, 11 KOs): Redkach, a 2008 Ukrainian Olympic alternate living in Los Angeles, was 260-40 as an amateur. As a pro, he's developing a reputation as a beast among hard-core fans and insiders. He's a southpaw with big power, a stellar body attack and a relentless, crowd-pleasing style. Although he faced limited opposition in going 4-0 in 2012, he scored some scary stoppages. He could move quickly.

Edwin Rodriguez (27, super middleweight, 22-0, 15 KOs): Rodriguez fought just twice in 2012, outpointing Donovan George and stopping Jason Escalera. But the Worcester, Mass., resident can box and punch, and has gained invaluable experience sparring with super middleweight titlist Carl Froch, ex-light heavyweight champion Jean Pascal and middleweight titlist Daniel Geale. A former U.S. national amateur champion, Rodriguez is on the verge of a significant fight.

[+] Enlarge
Tom Casino/Showtime
Gary Russell Jr. proved in 2012 that he remains a spectacular prospect, but he did so too infrequently and against overmatched competition.
Gary Russell Jr. (24, featherweight, 21-0, 13 KOs): Russell is an ultra-quick-fisted southpaw from Washington, D.C., who had a monster amateur career culminating in a berth on the 2008 U.S. Olympic team. He was the 2011 prospect of the year but is the first winner to repeat on this list because his career hasn't advanced -- not for lack of talent, but inactivity caused by injuries and his team's unwillingness to step up his opposition. When he fights, he's a special talent. He blitzed both of his hopelessly overmatched 2012 opponents for third-round knockouts and figures to fight for a world title in 2013.

Angelo Santana (24, lightweight, 14-0, 11 KOs): "La Cobra" was a two-time Cuban amateur national champion who defected in 2007 and now lives in Miami. The southpaw has a strong skill set and good power, especially in his left hand, as evidenced by his highlight-reel fifth-round knockout of Juan Garcia on Nov. 16 in his television debut. The only thing holding Santana (2-0 in 2012) back is promoter Don King, who doesn't keep him busy.

Keith Thurman (24, junior middleweight, 19-0, 18 KOs): The Clearwater, Fla., puncher is aggressive and crowd pleasing. As an amateur, he was a silver medalist at the 2008 U.S. Olympic trials. Trained by two-time trainer of the year Dan Birmingham, Thurman has gained great experience sparring with Chad Dawson, Winky Wright and Jeff Lacy. Thurman was 4-0 (all KOs) in 2012, taking advantage of two TV appearances with impressive stoppages of Orlando Lora (TKO6) and ex-welterweight titlist Carlos Quintana (TKO4).

Deontay Wilder (27, heavyweight, 26-0, 26 KOs): The Tuscaloosa, Ala., native needed only 14 rounds to blast through six opponents in 2012. A 2008 U.S. Olympic bronze medalist, Wilder carries huge power in his right hand and, at 6-foot-7, 225 pounds, possesses tremendous physicality. The power is there. Now he has to sharpen his other skills and face better opposition.

prospects of the year get away with being coddled and mismatched even up to 2-3 years after achieving that award.

I give Ortiz credit for even facing Maidano early.

I'll give Ortiz credit, line em up and he gets in the ring with em

I think it's just this recent run of them. These dudes fight nobodies for years and then people wonder why they struggle when they finally step up. Pre-09 outside of maybe Berto, they all took big steps in the next 12-16 months.

Has to be. No major outlet reporting it. You figure it was like 8 hours ago, someone else would have posted something in here or there'd be a ton of articles up about it.

Fight of the year: Pac-Marquez IV.

When Top Rank put together a fourth helping of the Manny Pacquiao-Juan Manuel Marquez rivalry, many were disappointed. Not because it probably wouldn't be a good fight, but because of general fatigue over the matchup. Give us something fresh, many said.

Of course, the first three fights between the great rivals were excellent -- rousing battles at the highest level of boxing that were competitive and compelling. And even though Pacquiao led 2-0-1, all three decisions were highly controversial and could have gone either way.

So when they did meet Dec. 8 in a welterweight showdown at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, expectations were for another exciting fight even if it hadn't been the fans' top choice of a match for either man. That hardly matters now, however, because their fourth fight -- rounds 37-42 of an historical series -- turned out to be the best of the bunch.
Rafael's Fights of the year

2012: Juan Manuel Marquez KO6 Manny Pacquiao (IV)
2011: Akira Yaegashi TKO10 Pornsawan Porpramook
2010: Humberto Soto W12 Urbano Antillon
2009: Juan Manuel Marquez KO9 Juan Diaz (I)
2008: Israel Vazquez W12 Rafael Marquez (III)
2007: Israel Vazquez TKO6 Rafael Marquez (II)
2006: Somsak Sithchatchawal TKO10 Mahyar Monshipour
2005: Diego Corrales TKO10 Jose Luis Castillo (I)
2004: Marco Antonio Barrera W12 Erik Morales (III)
2003: Arturo Gatti W10 Micky Ward (III)
2002: Micky Ward W10 Arturo Gatti (I)
2001: Micky Ward W10 Emanuel Burton
2000: Felix Trinidad TKO12 Fernando Vargas

It offered a festive and raucous atmosphere, thrilling two-way action, multiple knockdowns, blood and one of the most significant and violent knockouts in history as Filipino icon Pacquiao -- the all-time great eight-division champion and former pound-for-pound No. 1 -- went down face-first with one second left in the sixth round.

The shocking conclusion -- the 2012 ESPN.com knockout of the year -- was simply the end of what turned out to be the 2012 ESPN.com fight of the year.

The action heated up in the second round as Pacquiao rocked Marquez with two straight left hands, his money punch, and had him off balance with his feints and head movement. But with the heavily pro-Marquez crowd chanting "Mexico! Mexico! Mexico!," Marquez landed a right-hand bolt midway through the third round to drop Pacquiao hard, the first knockdown he had scored in the series after being down four times himself.

Pacquiao was shaky after the knockdown, but they spent the rest of the round engaged in fierce exchanges. The tension continued to build in the fourth round before the electrifying fifth became the best round of the rivalry. Pacquiao landed another straight left hand in the second minute, forcing Marquez to touch his glove to the canvas for a knockdown. Marquez was not badly hurt and immediately hammered Pacquiao with a huge right hand.

"This might be the best fight yet," HBO analyst Larry Merchant said. Responded Jim Lampley, his longtime broadcast partner, "This has been a blood-curdling war so far!"

Pacquiao badly hurt Marquez, who was now bleeding from his nose, with a right hand in the toe-to-toe final minute, prompting Lampley to exclaim at the bell, "All-out war in Vegas!"

Pacquiao looked like he was closing in on a stoppage in the sixth round after continuing to land heavy, damaging shots. But then Pacquiao got a little lazy on defense and Marquez stepped into a full-force right hand that knocked Pacquiao out cold to bring the epic fight to an abrupt and stunning conclusion.

"What an amazing fight," Lampley cried. "What an amazing, stunning knockout performance from Marquez!"

Other unforgettables
[+] EnlargeBrandon Rios, Mike Alvarado
Harry How/Getty ImagesBrandon Rios got the win, but Mike Alvarado won the respect of the boxing world after seven brutal rounds.

Brandon Rios TKO7 Mike Alvarado (Oct. 13 at Carson, Calif.): From the moment this junior welterweight fight was made, expectations were sky-high for a memorable battle. They more than lived up to the hype, one brutal punch at a time. In most years, this violent clash would be the fight of the year. For the entire fight, they blasted each other with hard shots like a game of rock 'em, sock 'em robots. They combined to throw 190 punches in the first round and never let up, fighting at a pace more akin to a video game than a real fight. Neither man took a backward step, and there were numerous fierce exchanges. They were both rocked and marked up as they emptied their tanks while showing enormous toughness. Round 5 was a legit round of the year candidate filled with blazing action. The fight was even on two scorecards going into the seventh round, but Rios finally got to Alvarado, hurting him with a right hand and pouring it on until his head snapped back, forcing referee Pat Russell to stopped the fireworks-filled slugfest.

Orlando Salido TKO10 Juan Manuel Lopez II (March 10 at San Juan, Puerto Rico): When Salido stopped Lopez in front of his Puerto Rican crowd to win a featherweight belt in 2011, it was one of best fights of the year. The rematch was even better as they banged it out for 10 tough rounds before Salido got a second straight upset knockout. But before the stoppage, it was a wild, action-packed affair. The outright brawl will go down as one of the most exciting title fights in the storied Mexico-Puerto Rico rivalry. The action really picked up in the fourth round, Lopez dropped Salido in the fifth and the action continued to build through the superb eighth round and epic ninth. By the 10th, Lopez was fading and went down on a nasty combination to give Salido another memorable victory and fans another barn burner.

Robert Guerrero W12 Andre Berto (Nov. 24 at Ontario, Calif.): Berto has been in exciting fights, and Guerrero has been an underrated action fighter, so when they met for Guerrero's interim welterweight belt, there were considerable expectations for the fight. They delivered big time in a bruising rumble. Guerrero dropped Berto in the first and second rounds and they fouled each other repeatedly throughout the fight. Berto, although trailing, was game and fought his heart out despite both eyes being nearly closed by the final third of the fight. The seventh round was a round of the year candidate. "This is a street fight," Lampley said as they exchanged at the end of the round. "This could take place on asphalt in a back alley. This would gather a crowd anywhere it took place."

Mike Alvarado W10 Mauricio Herrera (April 14 at Las Vegas): When is Alvarado ever in a bad fight? Almost never, and this junior welterweight tussle filled with blood and toe-to-toe combat was no exception. Although Alvarado generally was in command, this was a brawl as they traded flush bombs. The second and third rounds were hellacious and filled with unrelenting action. Herrera, who fought off the ropes while Alvarado pressured him, began to bust up Alvarado's right eye in the fourth round. Herrera's nose was bleeding in the fifth. Alvarado shifted into another gear in the second half of the fight and Herrera, his left eye a swollen mess, did everything he could to stay with him.
[+] EnlargeBrian Viloria, Hernan Marquez
Marlene Marquez/www.Pound4Pound.comIn an all-action fight in November, Brian Viloria and Hernan Marquez showed that the "little guys" can also make boxing exicting.

Brian Viloria TKO10 Hernan "Tyson" Marquez (Nov. 17 at Los Angeles): Often it's little guys who deliver huge action and that was the case in this flyweight unification fight that lived up to the hype. Marquez rocked Viloria and sent him reeling in the first round. Viloria responded by nailing Marquez with a right to drop him just before the round ended. The action never subsided, especially in the round of the year candidate fifth, when Marquez staggered Viloria and had him in trouble before Viloria rallied to drop Marquez. Early in the 10th, they were in yet another heated exchange when Viloria pounded Marquez with a left hook that dropped him flat on his back. He beat the count, but as Viloria was nailing him in the follow-up attack, Robert Garcia, Marquez's trainer, threw in the towel.

Roman Gonzalez W12 Juan Francisco Estrada (Nov. 17 at Los Angeles): Gonzalez's junior flyweight title defense was overshadowed by the sensational Viloria-Marquez main event, making this the best undercard fight of 2012. Gonzalez, a huge puncher, couldn't get Estrada out of there and settled for a decision in a high-energy battle worthy of having been the main event. It was a fast-paced, all-action brawl that had good ebb and flow. Virtually every round was action-packed. Gonzalez landed many heavy blows, but Estrada took 'em all and dished out enough to keep it very interesting.
[+] EnlargeJesus Soto Karass, Marcos Maidana
AP Photo/Isaac BrekkenDirty tricks, points deducted and a knockdown combined to make the Marcos Maidana-Jesus Soto Karass fight one of the year's best.

Marcos Maidana TKO8 Jesus Soto Karass (Sept. 15 at Las Vegas): This welterweight gem was part of a four-fight card dubbed "Knockout Kings" and it stole the show. Maidana, a bruising brawler, and Soto Karass, also and action fighter, meshed perfectly in a thrilling shootout. They spent the entire fight battling, landing clean shots and giving fans what they wanted. Maidana was in control, but Soto Karass always seemed like he was one punch away from taking over. They engaged in some rough stuff, which drew point deductions, before Maidana landed his best punch, a clean overhand right that dropped Soto Karass in the closing moments of the seventh round. Soto Karass was still shaky in the eighth and Maidana teed off until referee Kenny Bayless halted the slugfest.

Roman "Rocky" Martinez W12 Miguel Beltran Jr. (Sept. 15 at Las Vegas): Most of the drama from this card came in the 12th round of the Sergio Martinez-Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. main event, but this undercard bout served up plenty of sustained and bloody action in a very competitive scrap as Martinez won a split decision to claim a vacant junior lightweight belt. It was a thrilling, bloody, back-and-forth fight with numerous close rounds and lots of clean punching, marred only by a ticky-tack point deduction by referee Russell Mora, which cost Beltran a draw.

Marco Huck D12 Ola Afolabi II (May 5 at Erfurt, Germany): When they met in 2009, Huck retained his cruiserweight title in a close fight. But it was nothing like this grinding battle. Huck was lucky to escape with his title after a draw in a very tough fight. Afolabi dominated early and appeared to drop Huck with a right late in the second round, but referee Robert Byrd ruled it a slip. Afolabi bloodied Huck's nose in the third. Huck had Afolabi in deep trouble and close to going down before the bell ended the ninth. The action went to another level in the outstanding 12th round when they pounded on each other with abandon. Trilogy, anyone?

Kazuto Ioka W12 Akira Yaegashi (June 20 at Osaka, Japan): Yaegashi stopped Pornsawan Porpramook in the 10th round to win a strawweight title in the epic 2011 fight of the year. In 2012, he lost a fabulous fight as he and Ioka met in the first all-Japanese title unification match. They delivered a competitive and action-packed fight in which Yaegashi persevered with a terribly swollen left eye, making one wonder if he would be able to finish the fight. That just added to the drama of a great battle.

Floyd Mayweather Jr. W12 Miguel Cotto (May 5 at Las Vegas): Even though Mayweather clearly won to claim Cotto's junior middleweight belt, Cotto gave him perhaps the toughest, most physical fight of his great career. Not only was it the year's biggest fight (1.5 million pay-per-view buys), it was also one of the most entertaining and satisfying for those who laid out the cash. Maybe, at 35, Mayweather has lost a step, which allowed Cotto to connect frequently. Maybe, as Mayweather said, he wanted to give fans excitement. Whatever it was, Mayweather, with a bloody nose, slugged it out with a bigger guy, whom he badly wobbled in the 12th round to conclude the most exciting fight of his career.

Back
Top Bottom