Official 2012 Boxing Thread: JMM/Manny IV - FOTY.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

a funny observation, I swear I saw Ariza in Chico's Corrales corner when he fought Floyd.

he's a strength coach/nutritionist.

supposedly Arum is livid with him because he keeps telling everyone Arum is the reason Pac only fights top rank fighters LOL

So Arum ****canned him

laugh.gif

Watch them try to spin the reason why he left on 24/7.

They already pretty much blamed Ariza for Pacman looking "Human" against JMM.

Yea that was Ariza in Corrales corner. So a blood test is the only way these guys are getting caught? Because Peterson's positive test was before the first khan fight and I thought they were only doing the regular testing then.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

btw, Ariza has been removed from JCCjr, Khan and Pac as of today. 
Yea, I saw that and the thought crossed my mind.  I mean, he's pretty much made the scapegoat by Arum and Roach when any of those three look bad in the ring.  Plus, the dude always came off shady/underhanded as hell and can't keep his mouth shut.  I give him some props for calling out Arum, though.

Now we gotta watch Ortiz and Josesito Lopez
30t6p3b.gif
but at least they added Arreola to the card so that'll be some kinda fireworks.

Weekend wrap up.

Spoiler [+]
A roundup of the past week's notable boxing results from around the world:

Saturday at Copenhagen, Denmark

Mikkel Kessler KO4 Allan Green
Light heavyweight
Records: Kessler (45-2, 34 KOs); Green (31-4, 21 KOs)
Rafael's remarks: Well, fight freaks, we have a bona fide knockout of the year candidate here, as Kessler scored one of the nastiest, most ruthlessly violent knockouts you will ever see. Poor Green never knew what hit him. For those watching, though, it was a classic left hook that landed flush on the jaw and put Green to sleep square in the center of the ring. He was out before he even hit the canvas, and when he did, his arms were stretched over his head, his head drooped to the side and his legs seemed to be twitching as referee Ian John-Lewis immediately waived off the fight 17 seconds into the fourth round and raced to pull out Green's mouthpiece. Kessler knew the fight was over when the shot landed, raising his hands over his head, and 15,000 of his Danish countrymen who had packed the Parken Arena went wild for their hero as he jumped onto the ring ropes. Green was down for several minutes before coming around, probably with the realization that his career was over, at least in terms of ever again being in a notable main event.

Kessler, 33, a former three-time super middleweight titlist, was supposed to face Green, 32, of Tulsa, Okla., in November 2010 in the third stage of the Super Six World Boxing Classic. However, Kessler, who had suffered an eye injury in a win against Carl Froch in the second stage, withdrew not long before the fight and was replaced by Glen Johnson in the tournament. Johnson went on to knock out Green, himself a replacement in the tournament for Jermain Taylor. That was Green's second loss in a row, as he was also shut out by Andre Ward in his previous tournament bout. Following his elimination from the tournament, Green moved up to light heavyweight and won a pair of low-level bouts. Kessler, meanwhile, returned from the eye injury for a knockout win against Mehdi Bouadla in June 2011. He was then supposed to challenge super middleweight titlist Robert Stieglitz in November, but the fight was postponed until April and then canceled altogether because Kessler was not fully ready following a serious right hand injury. When Kessler was ready to return, he moved up to light heavyweight (although he only weighed in at 169½ pounds and probably could still make 168 if he wants to) and was matched with Green.

Green, a heavy underdog, looked like he might pull the big upset when he dropped Kessler in the first round. Green rocked him with a clean right hand and he went down after a couple of more shots, including a left to the body. But the right hand is what did it, and he was shaky when he got to his feet, and he still had 40 seconds left to survive. Inexplicably, Green had showed no sense of urgency at all and never went for the knockout. He let Kessler off the hook and never again was close to having a chance for the knockout.

Kessler recovered well from the knockdown and began to assert himself, especially with his left hand. He hurt Green with a big left hand near the end of the second round and landed the same shot to do more damage about halfway through the third round. The action was solid, and the fans were getting their money's worth, but it seemed like it was only a matter of time until Kessler got rid of Green. It finally happened courtesy of the vicious left hook in the fourth round that we'll probably still be talking about in December when it comes time to discuss the year's best knockouts.

With such an authoritative victory in an exciting fight, Kessler obviously will be in line for another big fight. He could still potentially challenge Stieglitz for his super middleweight title if he wants to lose an extra pound or two. He would certainly fit in the picture to face the winner of Lucian Bute's super middleweight title defense against Carl Froch on Saturday. A fight with Bute or a rematch with Froch would be excellent. Or Kessler could remain at light heavyweight and look for one of the titleholders.

Saturday at Liverpool, England

David Price KO4 Sam Sexton
Heavyweight
Wins vacant British and Commonwealth heavyweight titles
Records: Price (13-0, 11 KOs); Sexton (15-3, 6 KOs)
Rafael's remarks: Price, 28, of England, is one of boxing's top heavyweight prospects, and he delivered a performance worthy of that tag. Price was a 2008 Olympic bronze medal winner, owns an amateur win against fellow British heavyweight prospect Tyson Fury and is already on the radar of heavyweight champion brothers Wladimir and Vitali Klitschko, who see him as a money fight down the road. At 6-foot-8 and 245 pounds, Price is a mountain of a man and the physical equal of the Klitschkos. He also has quick hands and feet for a big guy, good overall skills and massive power in his right hand. He was taking a decent step up in the level of his competition by facing Sexton, 27, of England, whose only previous defeats had been to former world title challenger Dereck Chisora.

Price, fighting in his hometown, looked very good in a dominant performance against Sexton. His jab was hard and accurate and he peppered the 6-2, 228-pound Sexton with it repeatedly to take control right away. Seconds before the end of the third round, Price clipped Sexton with a short right hand to the side of the head and he went down to a knee. In the fourth round, Price continued to press the action and was catching Sexton and driving him backward with shots when he nailed him with a dynamite right uppercut. Sexton went down to a knee by the ropes, but got up quickly. Price continued to land precise shots until finally landing a short right hand to the jaw that dropped Sexton hard, flat on his back. He was motionless, and referee Howard John Foster did not even bother to count, immediately waving off the fight at 2 minutes, 7 seconds, while trying to dislodge Sexton's mouthpiece. It was a sensational performance from Price, who looked every bit the part of a quality heavyweight to watch. He could go a long, long way.

Saturday at Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

Juan Carlos Sanchez W12 Juan Alberto Rosas
Junior bantamweight
Retains a junior bantamweight title
Scores: 120-107, 118-109 (twice)
Records: Sanchez (14-1-1, 7 KOs); Rosas (36-7-0, 27 KOs)
Rafael's remarks: In February, Mexico's little-known Sanchez came out of nowhere to win a unanimous decision against countryman Rodrigo Guerrero to claim a 115-pound world title. Making his first defense, Sanchez, boxing's youngest titleholder at 21 years, 5 months, rolled to a surprisingly easy decision against countryman Rosas, 27, a former titleholder who was aiming to win back the belt he held for five months in 2010. Since losing the title to Cristian Mijares (who later vacated), Rosas had won four fights in a row to get back into a title bout as Sanchez's mandatory challenger. On paper, Rosas seemed like the favorite, but Sanchez did a number on him. Sanchez, a southpaw, scored a clean knockdown with about 70 seconds left in the first round, depositing Rosas on the seat of his pants with a straight left hand. Rosas did not appear badly hurt and popped straight up, but it set the stage for a dominant performance from Sanchez. The fight, televised in the United States on Azteca America, had good stretches of action but it was Sanchez doing the bulk of the damage and evading many of Rosas' slower punches. Rosas dealt with a bad cut on the bridge of his nose that bled from the fifth round on.

Saturday at Pharr, Texas

Jerry Belmontes W8 Ramesis Gil
Junior lightweight
Scores: 79-72, 78-73, 77-74
Records: Belmontes (16-0, 5 KOs); Gil (7-4-5, 5 KOs)
Rafael's remarks: Belmontes, 23, of Corpus Christi, Texas, was a standout amateur who began his career with some fanfare fighting for promoter Top Rank. Although he remained an undefeated prospect, Top Rank released him and, after an 11-month layoff and signing with Main Events, Belmontes returned to headline Telefutura's "Solo Boxeo Tecate" against the low-level Gil, 29, of Puerto Rico, who dropped to 1-4-1 in his last six bouts. Belmontes outclassed him and got in his rounds (as usual) en route to a pedestrian decision. It seemed like the fight would never actually start as there was roughly a 10-minute delay after the introductions because of what looked like an issue with the tape on Belmontes' glove. Hopefully, now that Belmontes is settled with a new promoter, he can get busy as well as raise the level of his opposition.

Odlanier Solis W12 Konstantin Airich
Heavyweight
Scores: 119-109 (twice), 118-110
Records: Solis (18-1, 12 KOs); Airich (23-6-2, 17 KOs)
Rafael's remarks: Solis, 32, won a 2004 Olympic gold medal for Cuba and eventually defected. Now based in Miami, Solis' promoter, Ahmet Oner of Arena Box, moved him quickly and got a mandatory title shot he had not really earned against heavyweight titleholder Vitali Klitschko in March 2011. The fight was over before anything had really happened, as Solis blew out his right knee just as the first round was ending and it went down as a knockout loss. Following a 14-month layoff and multiple knee surgeries on torn ligaments and cartilage, Solis, a whopping 267 pounds -- just a few from his career high -- returned against the 225-pound Airich, 33, of Kazakhstan but based in Germany. Solis was admittedly rusty even though he was in control for virtually all of the slow-paced fight. He hurt Airich in the third round on his way to the wide decision victory. Oner was not thrilled with Solis' performance. "We all know that Solis can do better," he said. "He looked a little rusty after the long layoff. I wanted him to send a statement to the Klitschkos. After this performance we know that there is still a way to go. Now I have to do my job and get Solis fights against good opponents so he can improve and show that he is a world champion in the making."

Friday at Albany, N.Y.

Karim Mayfield TKO5 Raymond "Tito" Serrano
Junior welterweight
Records: Mayfield (16-0-1, 10 KOs); Serrano (18-1, 8 KOs)
Rafael's remarks: This is what folks like to see on "Friday Night Fights" -- a fight with two up-and-coming guys in which you don't know who is going to win. This was exactly that kind of fight, which matched San Francisco's Mayfield, a little older prospect at age 31, against Serrano, 22, of Philadelphia. Although it seemed like a toss-up fight on paper, Mayfield, who had faced better opponents and has added 2011 trainer of the year Virgil Hunter to his corner, looked sharp as he came out firing. Mayfield dropped Serrano near the end of the third round and opened a cut on his forehead.

Serrano opened a cut near Mayfield's left eye in the fourth round, but Mayfield was in control. Then, virtually simultaneously with the bell ringing to end the fourth round, Mayfield creamed Serrano with a flush overhand right to the face. Serrano dropped in a heap face-first. He struggled to beat the count from referee Eddie Claudio, who did an excellent job of not panicking. Even though Serrano was wobbly, Claudio knew the round was over and sent Serrano to his corner for the one-minute rest period to allow him the time to see whether he could recover. When Serrano got to his corner it was a mess. Circus clown cars are more organized. Nobody put the stool in the corner for most of the break, while members of the corner, including Serrano's father, argued about whether they should stop the fight. Meanwhile, Serrano did not get any instruction, did not get water, did not have any water put on his head to try to revive him. It was an absolute mess. Serrano was still dazed when the fifth round began and Mayfield was all over him. He was hammering Serrano when Claudio stepped in to end the fight 47 seconds into the round. It seemed unlikely that Serrano would have survived the fifth round even if his corner had done everything perfectly between rounds, but the corner was woeful and did not give him even a fighting chance with the amateurish way they conducted themselves. The win was an excellent one for Mayfield, who should have earned a return invitation to "Friday Night Fights."

danrafaelespn Dan Rafael
Been told JM Marquez has decided not to fight at all this summer, meaning he wouldn't be fighting on proposed July 14 PPV at Cowboys Stadium.

Maidana a fit for Ortiz, Khan?

Spoiler [+]
Junior welterweight titlist Marcos Maidana is ready to put February's lopsided decision loss to Devon Alexander behind him.

Maidana moved up to welterweight for the fight, as did Alexander, and was toyed with. Now back at junior welterweight to defend his belt, Maidana (31-3, 28 KOs), the big puncher from Argentina, has been in Oxnard, Calif., working with new trainer Robert Garcia and looking forward to a return to action later this summer against an opponent to be determined.

"I've felt very good in my first week training with my new team," Maidana said through translator (and adviser) Sebastian Contursi. "There are great fighters and a great atmosphere around here. Obviously, it will take me some time to adjust and get [into] great physical condition, but we'll get there with hard work."

When Andre Berto failed a drug test and was bounced from his June 23 welterweight rematch with Victor Ortiz, Maidana's name was at the top of the list as a possible replacement, according to Golden Boy promoter Richard Schaefer. Maidana, after all, made Ortiz quit in the sixth round of a sensational, knockdown-filled junior welterweight brawl in June 2009.

Golden Boy and Showtime are keeping the show in place, but Berto has been replaced by Josesito Lopez. With Maidana only a week into his new training camp, he said he wouldn't have had enough time to get ready for the date.

"The news caught me by surprise, of course," Maidana said. "My advisor, Sebastian Contursi, let me know that Golden Boy Promotions asked him whether it was possible for me to be ready for June 23. But, of course, I cannot do it in only five weeks. It's a shame that the time frame does not fit, as I would've loved to face Ortiz again.

"I know this is the second postponement [of the Berto fight] for Victor, and I feel bad for him. Maybe if Golden Boy Promotions can secure a new date, then we could talk about the rematch, because I know people want it."

Former junior welterweight Amir Khan is also looking for a new opponent after the cancellation of his May 19 fight against titleholder Lamont Peterson, who also flunked a random urine test. Maidana pushed Khan to the limit in a December 2010 title bout before losing a decision in a fight that was voted fight of the year by the Boxing Writers Association of America.

Khan likely will fight a new opponent on his rescheduled date of July 7, and Maidana's name has been raised for that spot, too.

"That's another rematch that I'd love to take," Maidana said. "Everybody knows that I've been asking to face Amir again, for more than a year now. But again, time-wise it does not work, as apparently Khan needs to fight on July 7. In any case, if either Ortiz or Khan are willing to fight me, I'll be ready for any of them by the end of July. I know Amir Khan is looking for his former belts to be given back to him after the Peterson case. If he wants a belt, let's move his date two or three weeks and try to get it from me in the ring."

Many suggested that because Khan and Ortiz were both looking for new opponents that they ought to have faced each other. Great fight, but it wasn't going to happen, at least not in their next bouts. Ortiz is locked into Showtime for the June 23 date. Khan, who has said quite clearly that he is planning for his next fight to be at junior welterweight before moving up in weight, is under contract to HBO. That rendered the possibility of an Ortiz-Khan fight this summer impossible.

Besides, even if they were free, it would make absolutely zero business sense for Golden Boy. Each date is worth seven figures, so why in the world would Golden Boy give up one of them?

I think Williams is shot but its a step up none the less. Perhaps Williams can have a Cotto like career rejuvination but who knows

As much as I wanted to see the Khan/PEDerson and Androgen Berto/Ortiz I hope canceling these big fights will spur change at the commission level for better testing. Looking forward to this Froch/Bute fight. This fight is going to be awesome.

Punisher is done has no pop in punches.

I don't see Canelo as a headliner for PPV events like DLH. Every family member i know bought DLH PPV.

Originally Posted by MFr3shM

Punisher is done has no pop in punches.

I don't see Canelo as a headliner for PPV events like DLH. Every family member i know bought DLH PPV.

He should actually learn english, IMO...to better promote them.

Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

If a robbery occurs it wont be on Canelo's side, we know that
Ask lara and Martinez   

What makes you think that? The money train is on Canelo. At the time Williams was a bigger name than Martinez and Lara.

I'm saying there is more evidence that Punisher gets the gift decision. There is always a more marketable boxer in a fight, yet Ive never seen canelo get a decision he hasn't earned. C'mon, youre clearly trying to take more credit away from the guy.

I don't think you can say it's a robbery when the fight can really go either way and was as close as Sergio/Paul I.

Williams vs Canelo? Man Paul is done, I'd hate to see him get seriously hurt out there.

Roy Jones Jr fighting again June 30th at cruiserweight. SMH please sit down Roy before you get seriously injured.

Canelo vs. Williams should make for a good fight. At least we know there won't be a shortage of action.

Back
Top Bottom