Official 2012 NBA Draft Thread

^ Both are considered busts relative to where they were taken though, and that's where Beal would be taken/or even higher.

But Eric Gordon is a future all-star and Wade is 6'4...I mean really aside from Kobe/J.Johnson there really aren't that many big SG's anymore.
I just don't think its that huge of a deal.

At the hoop summit Beal measures 6'3.5 in shoes.

Interested to see Brad Beals standing reach, you forget, both Eric Gordon and DWade had massive wingspans Brad Beals is just solid at 6'7. 

Originally Posted by JPZx

^ Both are considered busts relative to where they were taken though, and that's where Beal would be taken/or even higher.
Grouping Foye and OJ together is not smart
Foye wasnt half the prospect coming out of school that OJ was.

Add to that OJ having to adjust his role for Tony and its a no go.

Foye just isnt in this conversation.

I say Washington takes Beal, and worries about offense later.

Cause they can prob getaway with Wall on most 2's.

But guys, Beal's height doesn't concern me as much as a player like Foye in the past, because Bradley plays taller and bigger. He's very developed physically and rebounds exceptionally well for a guard. I even believe Beal can hold his own defensively at the next level against taller opponents. 

If the wolves can find a way to package Wes to somehow grab Jeremy lamb, life will be good again.I know I am sounding like a broken record again, but no way white drops out of the top half of the draft. Won't believe it until I see it

Originally Posted by ChampCruThik

But guys, Beal's height doesn't concern me as much as a player like Foye in the past, because Bradley plays taller and bigger. He's very developed physically and rebounds exceptionally well for a guard. I even believe Beal can hold his own defensively at the next level against taller opponents. 

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
 I agree with this. I was concered at first, but watching more videos has proved me wrong.

Beal is the real deal.

i watched every single game beal played for florida -

exceptional defender and rebounder
shooting stroke was deadly late in the year, mid range pull up is money as well
can handle the ball but needs to work on taking guys off the dribble
no brainer for cleveland

^ Do you think he is an actual TRUE SG?

Also, with him only being 18 - I would imagine he'd grow a few inches taller within the next few years, possibly.

If I'm Cleveland and drafting in the 3-5 spots without a chance at Davis and MKG - I'd be tempted to roll the dice on Drummond. You have to be pretty sure at this point that you have something substantial in Kyrie as a play maker directing your offense and that's what Drummond is going to need. Tough to turn down the sure thing given where the Cavs are, but as lost as he is at times, his upside still is higher than Robinson Beal, Barnes, etc. Especially if the light goes off paired with an All-Star PG. 
But I say this as someone who still likes Drummond more than most people. 

Game of risk: Evaluating the top prospects in the 2012 draft

As NBA front-office types and scouts continue their homework leading up to the June 28 draft, one central purpose will drive their study sessions: risk management.

It's vital to the talent-evaluation process, the tall task of analyzing young players so comprehensively and accurately that the odds of shooting a proverbial air ball with a pick are minimized. As Oklahoma City has shown as well as any other team in recent years by drafting Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, James Harden and Serge Ibaka, these selections can determine the direction of a franchise and an executive's job security (or lack thereof).

This year's draft is considered strong and deep, meaning owners everywhere will be expecting an impact player no matter how late they might pick. Despite all the hype, however, uncertainty still reigns and the possibility of landing a bust is as great as ever.

After speaking with several personnel men, I will attempt to quantify the level of variance with these prospects over the next three days, dividing 30 potential first-round picks into three risk-based categories and providing a brief breakdown of each player. Two quick disclaimers before I explain further: 1) Kentucky's Anthony Davis, in case you hadn't heard, is in a class by himself in this draft, even if he happens to share a category, and 2) Players are listed from top to bottom based on an inexact and subjective formula: perceived amount of risk coupled with talent and upside.

Here are the three categories:

1. Hitting The Jackpot (four players): The talent is immense and the upside is as trustworthy as there is in the draft. See below for an evaluation of Davis and the other three players in this group.

2. The Gambles: (15 players): In short, this is where the risk gets weighed against the reward. The unanswered questions about these players' games might give NBA decision makers cause for pause, but getting it right could result in a major payoff too. This story will run on Thursday.

3. The Safe Play: (11 players): These players might not make any All-Star teams, but talent evaluators say they're the easiest to project. So if you like the skill set and don't want your bosses to be surprised, you feel comfortable picking from this pool. This story will run on Friday.

Let's start, then, with the first category:

Anthony Davis, Kentucky, freshman power forward (6-foot-10, 220 pounds): As if his top-dog status hasn't been established already, I spoke with another general manager to inquire about Davis' incredible potential. To review, my May 1 report had executives comparing Davis not only to Blake Griffin but also to future Hall of Famer Kevin Garnett. Sure enough, the consensus continues.

"He could be every bit as good as KG," the GM said. "KG, [Tim] Duncan -- that's this guy's upside. There's no telling how good this guy is going to be."

Whereas most No. 1 picks have already showcased most of their skills by this stage, the fact that Davis didn't become a big man until a growth spurt during his junior year in high school likely means the evolution is just getting started. His defensive presence has been well-chronicled (he led the nation with 4.6 blocks), but the GM sees plenty of offensive potential as well.

"He'll start doing things in a couple of years, and you'll be like, 'Wow,' " he said.

Thomas Robinson, Kansas, junior power forward (6-9, 240): Robinson joins Davis in the top tier in this group in terms of prospect predictability. The breakout star of the 2011-12 college season, Robinson's production soared after the Morris twins, Marcus and Markieff, left Kansas for the NBA last year. He's slightly undersized for the power forward position, but he's made believers out of most executives not only because of his speed, strength and scoring skills but also because he's a relentless worker and phenomenal rebounder.

One executive deemed him a better version of Nuggets rookie Kenneth Faried, a high-energy forward who led the nation in rebounding in his senior season at Morehead State but still had his doubters entering the NBA as the No. 22 pick in the 2011 draft. Faried thrived in the second half of the season and helped Denver push the Lakers to seven games in the first round of the playoffs.

"Thomas Robinson is the same kind of guy -- undersized, big motor, but more skilled," the executive said. "Maybe you put him in the star category."

Or, as Markieff Morris told ESPN The Magazine in a November 2011 story, "He has the speed of Kobe and a body like LeBron's. Sky's the limit."

The Jayhawks' strong finish to the season helped boost Robinson, who had 18 points and 17 rebounds in their loss to Kentucky in the national championship game. He averaged 17.6 points and 11.9 rebounds (second in the nation) in 31.8 minutes for the season, a big jump from his sophomore averages of 7.6 points and 6.4 rebounds in 14.6 minutes. Robinson, who can score with his back to the basket and when attacking in face-up situations, is inconsistent as an outside threat but has some range.

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Kentucky, freshman small forward (6-7, 210): He was Robin to Davis' Batman at Kentucky, in large part because of his commitment to playing both ends of the floor (he was only fourth on the team in scoring at 11.9 points). It's unclear whether he can evolve into playing a lead role, but he has no shortage of casting calls because of his versatility and the leadership he showed during the Wildcats' championship run.

For all of the attention paid to Davis as Kentucky's top talent, Kidd-Gilchrist was regarded as the team's glue. Coach John Calipari routinely praised him for being the emotional leader, and Kidd-Gilchrist was the captain of the Wildcats' 8:30 a.m. workouts before scheduled practices.

It's hard to tell how good he can be offensively because of the deep surrounding talent at Kentucky, but he has been compared to New Jersey's Gerald Wallace in terms of his athleticism and attacking mentality. Kidd-Gilchrist had two of his best offensive games in the NCAA tournament, scoring 24 points on 7-of-15 shooting against Indiana in the Sweet 16 and 19 points on 7-of-10 shooting against Baylor in the Elite Eight.

He might have the best motor in the draft, and nothing makes scouts happier than a player who never stops. Kidd-Gilchrist is also a tenacious defender with a 6-10 wingspan. His inconsistent perimeter game is a concern, but his work ethic and approach have NBA teams drooling.

"He has all the intangibles," one assistant general manager said. "And he plays extremely hard."

Bradley Beal, Florida, freshman shooting guard (6-4, 205): After a celebrated high school career at Chaminade College Preparatory School in St. Louis, Beal's freshman year with the Gators was underwhelming in that he didn't live up to his reputation as a long-range marksman. But NBA teams remain high on his shooting ability, he shined in the NCAA tournament and he still averaged 14.8 points, 6.7 rebounds, 2.2 assists and 1.4 steals for the season.

Beal finished in impressive fashion, scoring 20 points in a three-point loss to Kentucky in the SEC tournament semifinals, then averaging 15.7 points in four NCAA tournament games. He shot 60.5 percent (23-of-38) from the field and 42.1 percent (8-of-19) from three-point range in the Big Dance, raising his season marks to 44.5 percent and 33.9 percent.

Natural shooters with athleticism who hit the glass, defend and have a high hoops IQ are hard to come by, making Beal a possible top five pick. One front-office source said a lot of teams have Beal ranked ahead of Connecticut's Jeremy Lamb, who is also vying to be the best shooting guard in the draft.
Link

Originally Posted by PMatic

His defensive presence has been well-chronicled (he led the nation with 4.6 blocks), but the GM sees plenty of offensive potential as well.

"He'll start doing things in a couple of years, and you'll be like, 'Wow,' " he said.

this. 

Originally Posted by Al3xis

If I'm Cleveland and drafting in the 3-5 spots without a chance at Davis and MKG - I'd be tempted to roll the dice on Drummond. You have to be pretty sure at this point that you have something substantial in Kyrie as a play maker directing your offense and that's what Drummond is going to need. Tough to turn down the sure thing given where the Cavs are, but as lost as he is at times, his upside still is higher than Robinson Beal, Barnes, etc. Especially if the light goes off paired with an All-Star PG. 
But I say this as someone who still likes Drummond more than most people. 

I believe Cleveland will draft Drummond if available from 3-5, so what you're saying makes sense.

I do believe drafting Beal however, can lock the backcourt down - potentially creating one of the best backcourts in the NBA in the near future. We lack the 3-point shooting wing-man for years now, a true SG is difficult to find in the NBA.

I'm torn. Half of me wants Beal, the other half wants MKG.

The invisible part of me is saying go with whatever Chris Grant pulls in.

Still praying for Davis though...
smile.gif

Do you think any team would trade the #1 pick?

Howard?
Bynum?

Or is Anthony Davis untouchable?

Evaluating the 2012 draft, Part II: High-risk, high-reward prospects

Let the NBA draft risk assessment continue.

Now we're really rolling the dice.

After focusing Wednesday on the four prospects considered jackpot talents by NBA personnel men who spoke with SI.com, today we look at 15 players who qualify as high risk and possibly high reward. These players will be the most daunting to dissect, their upside high but the odds of an accurate projection of them as pros low. It's no coincidence that only two of them are upperclassmen, who have a larger sample size to evaluate.

This is the second of a three-part exercise offering a window into the world of the front-office types and scouts who are feverishly preparing for the June 28 draft. In an attempt to quantify the level of variance with the top prospects, I'm dividing 30 potential first-round picks into three risk-based categories and providing a brief breakdown of each player. Prospects are listed from top to bottom based on an inexact and subjective formula: perceived amount of risk coupled with talent and upside.

To review:

1. Hitting The Jackpot (four players): The talent is immense and the upside is as trustworthy as there is in the draft. Click here for Wednesday's story.

2. The Gambles: (15 players): In short, this is where the risk gets weighed against the reward. Questions about these players' games -- and, in some cases, their attitudes or off-court issues -- might give NBA decision makers cause for pause, but getting it right could result in a major payoff too. This story runs today.

3. The Safe Bets: (11 players): These players might not make any All-Star teams, but talent evaluators say they're the easiest to project. So if you like the skill set and don't want your bosses to be surprised, you feel comfortable picking from this pool. (Update: Click here for the story.)

Here's a look at The Gambles:

Andre Drummond, Connecticut, freshman center (6-foot-10, 270 pounds): While Kentucky power forward and consensus No. 1 pick Anthony Davis was the headliner of the "Jackpot" bunch, Drummond has that label in this group. His talent and size are worthy of Jackpot status, but the best center in the bunch lands here after being the poster boy for the Huskies' disappointing defense of their 2011 national title.

Drummond's unexpected decision last August to attend UConn was seen as the sort of recruiting coup that could keep the Huskies near the top of college basketball despite the loss of star guard Kemba Walker to the NBA. Scout.com made Drummond the No. 2 recruit in the country as a senior at St. Thomas More High School in Oakdale, Conn., where he won a national prep title.

But the mix never worked, even as UConn returned a fellow pro prospect and a breakout player in its championship run, shooting guard Jeremy Lamb (more on him later). The Huskies were eliminated in the first round of the NCAA tournament by Iowa State, finishing 20-14 overall and 8-10 in the Big East. Drummond had just two points and three rebounds in 26 minutes in that game, capping a season in which he averaged only 10 points, 7.6 rebounds, 2.7 blocks and 28.4 minutes while shooting 53.8 percent from the field and an embarrassing 29.5 percent from the free-throw line.

"He's a project," one front-office man said.

Still, he's about as promising a project as there is in this draft. The combination of his size and elite athleticism has teams wondering if he could become a hybrid of the Lakers' Andrew Bynum and the Magic's Dwight Howard. Like both players, he is a force on defense at a young age but has a long way to go offensively.

Drummond can run the floor like a guard, he's a natural passer and he can step out for mid-range jumpers. But the inconsistency and his penchant for playing while in third gear have raised concerns. His playing time was inconsistent as well, though, with six games of fewer than 20 minutes, and his ability to be a dependable rebounder when he played big minutes could be revealing. Attacking the glass is often an indicator of a player's motor, and Drummond averaged 9.6 rebounds in his 16 games of 30-plus minutes.

Perry Jones, Baylor, sophomore power forward (6-11, 235): Jones' decision to return to school for one more year added to the hype surrounding this draft class. Though he was viewed as a top five talent a year ago because of his incredible athleticism, size and versatility, his underwhelming season and continuing questions about his game have hurt his stock. Chief among them: Does he have what it takes to make the most of his talent?

"If you were going to define what a basketball player would look like, he'd probably be it," one front-office source said. "But there's a lot missing with him heart-wise. ... You just wonder if he's a soft kid."

Jones' scoring declined in his sophomore season (13.5 points from 13.9 as a freshman), and his unimpressive rebounding numbers increased a bit (7.2 to 7.6) in three more minutes per game. Even he has acknowledged his need to compete more consistently, and improvement in that vital area could -- doubts and all -- turn him into one of the most special players in this class.

Jeremy Lamb, Connecticut, sophomore shooting guard (6-5, 185): As is the case with Drummond, there's some guilt by association here when it comes to the Huskies and their weak title defense. Lamb's skill set, shot, athleticism and smooth scoring are still enough to ensure that he doesn't slide too far in the first round, but he didn't progress the way that many expected after Walker's departure. Four of his 10 games with at least 20 points last season came in the first five contests, and he averaged 17.7 points overall while shooting 47.8 percent from the field and 33.6 percent on three-pointers. Lamb's very skinny frame is an issue, too.

John Henson, North Carolina, junior power forward (6-11, 220): If not for concerns about Henson's thin frame and whether he can ever put on some serious weight, he might be a top five pick because of his potential as a defensive difference maker. His length, agility and athleticism allow him to guard both bigs and smalls as needed. Henson, who was just 183 pounds coming out of high school, averaged 9.9 rebounds and 2.9 blocks last season for a Tar Heels team that finished 32-6 and fell to Kansas in the Elite Eight.

Henson's offensive game improved steadily throughout his college career, and he averaged 13.7 points on 50 percent shooting last season while playing second fiddle down low to fellow frontcourt prospect Tyler Zeller (who will be featured in Friday's "Safe Bets" category). At his best, one personnel man said, Henson could be similar to Marcus Camby in terms of his defensive impact. Or, the talent evaluator cautioned, Henson could be Brandan Wright, a slender power forward from North Carolina who has played for three teams and averaged 13.7 minutes since being drafted eighth in 2007.

Terrence Jones, Kentucky, sophomore forward (6-9, 252): Jones played a significant part in the Wildcats' national championship after deciding to return to school. But his draft stock took a hit in the process, in large part because of his lack of consistency but also because his style of play might not fit his role at the next level. He often plays like a stretch power forward -- a la Ryan Anderson of Orlando -- but his shot isn't nearly good enough to assume that role and it's not likely he'll be able to play much small forward in the NBA. But Jones is a good passer, defender and rebounder who averaged 12.3 points (on 50 percent shooting from the field and 32.7 percent from three-point range), 7.2 rebounds and 1.3 steals last season.

Terrence Ross, Washington, sophomore shooting guard (6-6, 195): Ross is a dynamic player and possible lottery selection. He became a starter late in his freshman season and showed an immediate ability to produce on both ends. In his sophomore season, he averaged 16.4 points and shot 45.7 percent from the field and 37.1 percent from three-point range for the Huskies, who went 24-11 and lost in the NIT semifinals.

"He's going to be pretty good," one front-office source said. "He has big upside because he's a really good athlete and shooter. He just needs to work on his handle. He has the ability to be a really good defender if he just puts his effort into it."

Austin Rivers, Duke, freshman shooting guard (6-4, 203): At a time when NBA decision makers are paying more attention to efficiency than ever, players like Rivers tend to split the room. Celtics coach Doc Rivers' son has all the talent and star power a team could want late in the lottery or in the middle of the first round, using his vast offensive repertoire to average 15.5 points for the Blue Devils while proving to be one of the most exciting players in the country. But he shot just 43.3 percent and dominated the ball in ways that he won't likely be able to in the NBA (at least not in his early years).

"He's an undersized 'two' [shooting guard] who is a high-volume, low-percentage shooter," one front-office critic said. "Those guys don't do well in the NBA."

Arnett Moultrie, Mississippi State, junior power forward (6-11, 230): When Moultrie left UTEP after two seasons in 2010, he cited differences with coach Tim Floyd and a desire to improve his NBA standing as the main reasons. The plan, which forced him to sit out a season because of NCAA transfer rules, appears to have worked. Moultrie, who averaged 16.4 points (on 54.9 percent shooting) and 10.5 rebounds last season for a Bulldogs team that faded with seven losses in its last nine games after a 19-5 start, is a phenomenal athlete who can dominate in all the ways a big man should. He runs the floor well, is a strong finisher and has proved to be dominant for long stretches.

Royce White, Iowa State, sophomore power forward (6-8, 270): The risk might be unique in White's case, as the 21-year-old has an anxiety disorder (he has openly discussed his reliance on medication for treatment) and fear of flying that could wind up hurting his stock. (NBA teams also will take note of how he was charged with disorderly conduct and theft for a 2009 shoplifting incident during his freshman year at Minnesota, where he never played a game before transferring to Iowa State.)

If he can find a way to be comfortable with the NBA lifestyle and the charter planes that come with it, the reward might be great for whichever team takes him. White is the rarest of all-around players in this crop, a playmaking big man who led the Cyclones in scoring (13.4 points), rebounds (9.3), assists (5.0), steals (1.2) and blocks (0.9). He flourished on the biggest stage, averaging 19 points (on 71.4 percent shooting) and 10.5 rebounds in Iowa State's two NCAA tournament games.

Meyers Leonard, Illinois, sophomore center (7-foot, 240): The finished product isn't pretty just yet, but Leonard did more than enough in his sophomore season to put him near the top of most teams' big-man rankings (even if his team did not, as the Fighting Illini were 17-15 overall and 6-12 in the Big Ten and lost 12 of their last 14 games). He can be imposing on defense with his rare combination of athleticism, size and increasing strength. His offense is raw, but Leonard is capable of hitting the mid-range shot and his post game has improved. He averaged 13.6 points, 8.2 rebounds and 1.9 blocks for Illinois after a freshman season in which he barely played.

Fab Melo, Syracuse, sophomore center (7-foot, 244): His size and shot-blocking (2.9 per game) have turned him into a likely mid-to-late first-round pick. Otherwise, his rebounding is not what it could be and his offensive game is incredibly raw. Big men tend to crawl up the board as draft day nears, and some see Melo as a possible lottery pick.

Tony Wroten, Washington, freshman guard (6-5, 208): He has the speed, athleticism, aggressive scorer's mentality, passing skills and physicality to be a top talent. But Wroten also struggles mightily with his shot and ability to play under control. Wroten, who averaged 16 points (on 44.3 percent shooting overall and 16.1 percent from three-point range), 5.0 rebounds, 3.7 assists and 1.9 steals, could go anywhere from the lottery to the late first round.

Quincy Miller, Baylor, freshman small forward (6-9, 210): The athleticism, offensive versatility and strong two-way play could have him gone by the middle of the first round, but Miller is likely to be a project wherever he goes. He averaged just 10.6 points, 4.9 rebounds and 24.4 minutes in his one season at Baylor, playing in Perry Jones' shadow while offering only glimpses of what he might become.

Will Barton, Memphis, sophomore shooting guard (6-6, 175): If you're looking for a natural scorer with a high ceiling in his all-around game who plays hard, Barton may be your man. He averaged 18 points (on 50.9 percent shooting and 34.6 percent from three-point range), 8.0 rebounds, 2.9 assists and 1.4 steals for Memphis, which finished 26-9 and lost to Saint Louis in the second round of the NCAAs. His accuracy improved greatly from his freshman season, when he shot 42.8 percent overall and 26.5 percent from beyond the arc.

Evan Fournier, France, shooting guard (6-7, 206): The 19-year-old Fournier may be the only international player to be taken in the first round, and it will be almost entirely because of his size and an offensive skill set that has improved this season while playing for Poitiers in the French League. He is a slasher with some playmaking skills, though his shot is mostly suspect.
Link
Evaluating the 2012 draft, Part III: Easiest prospects to project

Truth be told, no one is safe when it comes to the NBA draft. Not the players whose careers are often scrutinized in accordance with where they were picked. And certainly not the executives whose reputations are forever tied to each selection. Risk is a part of the equation no matter the prospect, even when it's a big man like Kentucky's Anthony Davis, who is widely seen as a "can't-miss" talent.

But as the league's talent evaluators continue their preparations for the June 28 draft, many of them will undoubtedly be drawn to the players with the fewest question marks. This group is the focus of the last of a three-part series in which I've divided 30 potential first-round picks into three risk-based categories and provided a brief breakdown of each player. I've labeled these players the "Safe Bets" -- their skills are obvious, their weaknesses clear, and there appears to be some degree of clarity when projecting their career.

Translation: You know who they are as players. At least you think you do.

As was the case in the previous two categories, players are listed from top to bottom based on an inexact and subjective formula: perceived amount of risk coupled with talent and upside.

To review:

1. Hitting The Jackpot (four players): The talent is immense and the upside is as trustworthy as there is in the draft. Click here for Wednesday's story.

2. The Gambles: (15 players): In short, this is where the risk gets weighed against the reward. Questions about these players' games -- and, in some cases, their attitudes or off-court issues -- might give NBA decision makers cause for pause, but getting it right could result in a major payoff too. Click here for Thursday's story.

3. The Safe Bets: (11 players): These players might not make any All-Star teams, but talent evaluators say they're the easiest to project. So if you like the skill set and don't want your bosses to be surprised, you feel comfortable picking from this pool.

Here are the Safe Bets:

Harrison Barnes, North Carolina, sophomore small forward (6-foot-8, 215 pounds): No one is predicting the next coming of Kevin Durant, but Barnes is seen by most as a high-level scorer whose skills should translate at the next level. He averaged 17.1 points last season, but left Tar Heels fans wanting more at the end as he shot just 32.8 percent in four NCAA tournament games. Still, executives are confident he'll be a productive pro even though he's not a great athlete and his dribble-drive game needs work.

"Is he going to be an All-Star? I don't know, but it's not like he's going to be a bust either," a front-office source said.

Damian Lillard, Weber State, junior point guard (6-2, 185): With all due respect to Eastern Washington product and current Pistons guard Rodney Stuckey, the Big Sky Conference isn't exactly known for pumping out NBA talent. Lillard is the latest exception, having proved to be one of the nation's best scorers (24.5 points on 46.7 percent shooting). More important for him, he's atop the short list of quality point guards in this draft and could find his way into the top 10 as a result. Lillard is a score-first point guard who can shoot and penetrate, his athleticism is underrated and he's shown good playmaking skills.

Tyler Zeller, North Carolina, senior center (7-foot, 250): As Tar Heels legend Larry Brown would put it, Zeller plays the right way. The ACC Player of the Year is far closer to solid than he is spectacular, but the well-rounded offensive game, smarts and consistency could make him a lottery pick. Zeller improved every year, averaging 16.3 points, 9.6 rebounds and 1.5 blocks as a senior.

"He's not going to be an All-Star by any stretch," a front-office source said, "but you'll be satisfied."

Jared Sullinger, Ohio State, sophomore power forward/center (6-9, 280): No one questions Sullinger's savvy and skill, but his lack of size and athleticism dog him more now than they did when he passed on the draft a year ago. He was considered a top five pick then, but the shine might have come off his game despite the fact that he had a very similar season statistically (17.5 points to 17.3 as a freshman, 10.2 rebounds to 9.2). His conditioning has been a problem at times, even with Sullinger's improving his physique last offseason. Most of all, though, the discussion about Sullinger concerns position.

"He's another undersized 'five'
," a front-office source said. "And I don't think he's going to be able to be a 'four' [power forward]. He plays below the rim, has great skills, but is he Oliver Miller? He's supposedly in great shape, and he still can't run [very well]."

Kendall Marshall, North Carolina, sophomore point guard (6-4, 180): We offer this not-so-inspiring commentary on Marshall from one talent evaluator: "He's just OK." Now consider the reality that he could be taken in the top 10, and you have all you need to know about how weak this draft is at point guard. Still, general managers who saw the impact of Ricky Rubio in his rookie season with the Timberwolves might be tempted to ignore Marshall's lack of athleticism or consistent shot and select him because of his passing prowess. He ranked second in the country in assists per game (9.7) and led the nation in assist-to-turnover ratio (3.51 to 1). His value was evident after a broken right wrist kept him out of the Tar Heels' final two games in the NCAA tournament, an overtime victory against Ohio and a 13-point loss to Kansas. Without Marshall, North Carolina averaged 10.5 fewer points in transition, according to ESPN.com.

Dion Waiters, Syracuse, sophomore shooting guard (6-4, 215): Waiters was the James Harden of college basketball last season, a top-notch sixth man who averaged 12.6 points for an Orange team that finished 34-3 and fell to Ohio State in the Elite Eight. Despite Waiters' inconsistent shooting touch, some scouts view the athletic, dynamic scorer as a great fit for the NBA. He's expected to go from the mid-to-late first round but has "lottery-type talent," one executive said. There are some questions about his style (lots of isolation play), and Waiters admitted that he "put myself before the team" during his freshman season. But some NBA personnel men point to his willingness to come off the bench as a positive sign that he's willing to do what's best for the team.

Jeff Taylor, Vanderbilt, senior small forward (6-7, 225): Taylor qualifies as one of the few lockdown perimeter defenders in the draft. He is more than quick enough to handle guarding multiple positions, and he becomes an even more intriguing pick because of his improving offense. Most of his scoring came from attacking the rim in his first three seasons at Vanderbilt, but he started developing three-point range as a junior and made it a weapon as a senior when he shot 42.3 percent from beyond the arc while averaging 16.1 points.

Moe Harkless, St. John's, freshman small forward (6-8, 208): The uber-athletic Harkless could stand to be more efficient on offense, where he averaged 15.3 points but shot just 44.5 percent overall and 20.2 percent from three-point range in his Big East Rookie of the Year season. But his impact elsewhere entices front-office types who watched him average 8.6 rebounds, 1.4 blocks and 1.6 steals for 13-19 St. John's.

Marquis Teague, Kentucky, freshman point guard (6-2, 189): With the way the NBA is being ruled by the Derrick Rose and Russell Westbrook types, point guards who can't defend are being exposed more than ever. Teague has the ability to slow speedy point guards while applying pressure himself. While his regular-season numbers weren't spectacular (10 points on 41.2 percent shooting, 4.8 assists and 2.7 turnovers), he produced better when it counted most (13.3 points on 45.9 percent shooting, 4.8 assists and 2.5 turnovers in six NCAA tournament games). He could be a quality pick late in the first round.

Andrew Nicholson, St. Bonaventure, senior power forward (6-9, 225): Nicholson is a poster boy for staying in school. He improved in all four seasons and capped his college career by leading St. Bonaventure to an Atlantic 10 championship and its first NCAA tournament appearance in 12 years. He is potent on both ends of the floor, averaging 18.5 points (while adding a three-point shot during his senior season), 8.4 rebounds and 2.0 blocks.

Draymond Green, Michigan State, senior power forward (6-7, 230): He is undersized and lacks athleticism, but the well-balanced body of work is tough to ignore. Green took major strides every season, evolving into a reliable go-to guy with good shooting range who averaged 16.2 points, 10.6 rebounds and 3.8 assists as a senior, including 17.7 points, 13.7 rebounds and 6.0 assists in three NCAA tournament games.
Link

I'm coming around on Teague, at least given this draft class. When Calipari says the kid is the best pick and roll defender he's ever had as a PG - that counts for something, especially in today's NBA. And regardless of the talent around him going 38-2 with a title as a freshman has to count for something (and the IU loss was on anyone but him). I don't hand the keys over to him his rookie year or take him in the top half of the draft but at the end of Rnd 1 with a year or two develop, yeah why not. 

Any Rockets or Heat Fans in here ?

I personally think if Jared Sullinger or Austin Rivers are available the Rockets should draft them.

With the Heat i think they should grab Fab Melo if he is available

I guess Perry Jones killed it in a workout yesterday? Surprise surprise. Go get your money.

Dion Waiters getting some high praise, too.

If we dont win the lottery and get Davis after this horrible season i'll cry. Real tears. Would set us back years

Back
Top Bottom