Official 2012 NBA Draft Thread

Okafor wasn't doing the things Davis is doing at 19.

Edit:
Spoiler [+]
AnthonyDavis1024Source24.jpg

If he never develops the mindstate of a 4 in the NBA (whatever that means), he'll still be an Elite defender that can change the game on the defensive end. He'll average double digit rebounds and be able to score 10 a game at least on offensive board/putbacks. Pair him with a PG that thrives in pick and roll situations then it becomes even more dangerous. And that's just if he never develops the "mindstate of a 4 in the NBA."

Originally Posted by PMatic

Okafor wasn't doing the things Davis is doing at 19.
I'm concerned with what Anthony Davis will be doing when he's 20 and 21. What he's doing at 19 is great, but I just don't see things the way you do.

Originally Posted by DaComeUP

If he never develops the mindstate of a 4 in the NBA (whatever that means), he'll still be an Elite defender that can change the game on the defensive end. He'll average double digit rebounds and be able to score 10 a game at least on offensive board/putbacks. Pair him with a PG that thrives in pick and roll situations then it becomes even more dangerous. And that's just if he never develops the "mindstate of a 4 in the NBA."
Listen, I hope you're all right because I know I'll be watching him for at least the next 4 years. Trust me, if he's great, I'll be the first to eat the crow.

Originally Posted by FinallyFamous

Jordan taking Barnes? Wouldn't be shocked
laugh.gif

-_-Pretty sure Rivers got a promise from New orleans. Atleast that was the speculation.MKG against Beal tomorrow in Charlotte. Interested to see how that goes.

Originally Posted by woody2626

laugh.gif

-_-Pretty sure Rivers got a promise from New orleans. Atleast that was the speculation.MKG against Beal tomorrow in Charlotte. Interested to see how that goes.

Rivers and NO? They going to move Gordon?

Originally Posted by doyung9

Originally Posted by Kevin Cleveland

You don't see it with Davis, but Barnes and Rivers are helping to lead the Hornets towards Thunder-like success in a few years...?
Because I feel like they'll do something STUPID at #10 after picking Davis.
laugh.gif
Almost like, 'we got him, let's draft marquis teague' ... who's not bad, but not the #10 pick.

My worry is that like you said, he was 6'3 two years ago. Everyone's been feeding me the "he's been a guard his entire life, he can shoot, dribble etc."... but what if he never truly develops the mindstate of a 4 in the NBA? This isn't gonna be like college. Reggie Evans is not going to move when Anthony Davis starts his backdown.

I get it, I get it. The potential (which is overrated in all forms of drafting in all sports) is through the roof. Could be the next KG, DIRK, DURANT (continue list of 6'10 athletes who can shoot, dribble, lead). But what if he's the next Emeka Okafor?
Man, you guys can slander AD all you want but to say he doesn't have the "mindstate of a 4" is ridiculous and honestly means you either haven't seen him play much or don't pay attention. Davis literally does everything you want a big man to do. Don't get caught up in this "guard his entire life" thing. All it means is he's versatile enough to pass, dribble and shoot well. He takes pride on defense. Defends the rim. Shuts down the pick and roll. Blocks shots and keeps them inbounds. Crashes the glass on offense and defense. Never takes a play off. 
That's like saying KG doesn't have the mindstate of a 4 because he could shoot and pass.

The issue of AD's weight is way overblown. He has wide shoulders and a good frame for putting on weight. Also, as important as being muscular is, being mentally tough enough to battle is probably more important. He played against plenty of heavy guys in college and never backed down. He might struggle to stay out of foul trouble but I don't see how this kid can be a bust. 

I don't understand the Davis doubt. Reminds me of last year...
Can't wait to see Barnes and Sullinger fail though
pimp.gif

mind-state of a 4? Anthony Davis almost certainly will be playing center, and will do so incredibly well.

Originally Posted by RetroBaller

laugh.gif

he's up for a new contract, and he prob won't get what he wants...

Originally Posted by DoItAllPaul

Originally Posted by RetroBaller

he's up for a new contract, and he prob won't get what he wants...
I think he'll get around what he wants, the question really is whether or not he actually wants to stay in NO.

Originally Posted by thekillerj23

Why do Cavs want Barnes so much, why can't we just try to get Beal SMH

While they do like him, it could be smokescreens for now.

I have a feeling they'll attempt to trade for the #2 pick to snatch MKG though.

Quit it with the smokescreens
laugh.gif

Barnes > Beal IN THE CAVS MINDS!

They also really like MKG, so let's see if they try and trade up. Just don't want them give up too much.

Originally Posted by Executive76

I don't understand the Davis doubt. Reminds me of last year...

Duke fans tried to tell boys Kyrie was the goods until we were blue in the face... Had boys disrespecting talking about Brandon Knight being better than him 
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by mgrand15

Originally Posted by doyung9

Originally Posted by Kevin Cleveland

You don't see it with Davis, but Barnes and Rivers are helping to lead the Hornets towards Thunder-like success in a few years...?
Because I feel like they'll do something STUPID at #10 after picking Davis.
laugh.gif
Almost like, 'we got him, let's draft marquis teague' ... who's not bad, but not the #10 pick.

My worry is that like you said, he was 6'3 two years ago. Everyone's been feeding me the "he's been a guard his entire life, he can shoot, dribble etc."... but what if he never truly develops the mindstate of a 4 in the NBA? This isn't gonna be like college. Reggie Evans is not going to move when Anthony Davis starts his backdown.

I get it, I get it. The potential (which is overrated in all forms of drafting in all sports) is through the roof. Could be the next KG, DIRK, DURANT (continue list of 6'10 athletes who can shoot, dribble, lead). But what if he's the next Emeka Okafor?
Man, you guys can slander AD all you want but to say he doesn't have the "mindstate of a 4" is ridiculous and honestly means you either haven't seen him play much or don't pay attention. Davis literally does everything you want a big man to do. Don't get caught up in this "guard his entire life" thing. All it means is he's versatile enough to pass, dribble and shoot well. He takes pride on defense. Defends the rim. Shuts down the pick and roll. Blocks shots and keeps them inbounds. Crashes the glass on offense and defense. Never takes a play off. 
That's like saying KG doesn't have the mindstate of a 4 because he could shoot and pass.

The issue of AD's weight is way overblown. He has wide shoulders and a good frame for putting on weight. Also, as important as being muscular is, being mentally tough enough to battle is probably more important. He played against plenty of heavy guys in college and never backed down. He might struggle to stay out of foul trouble but I don't see how this kid can be a bust. 

Though I agree that his frame is capable of adding muscle and some mass, I do believe that the bigger 4's will rough him up like the Ratliff kid from Mizzo. He will mature just fine though, that "mindset of a 4" or whatever the hell that means won't prove much of an issue for him.

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

Duke fans tried to tell boys Kyrie was the goods until we were blue in the face... Had boys disrespecting talking about Brandon Knight being better than him 
30t6p3b.gif

Take Derrick Williams at 1, and Knight at 4 !!!!!
Kyrie isn't ready!  Overrated!!!

roll.gif
roll.gif

*raises hand*

I doubted Kyrie... boy is cold
pimp.gif

In past years:

Guys who I have been low on-
Kyrie
Cousins
Westbrook
Thabeet