Official 2012 NBA Trade Deadline Thread: The Dwightmare is Over.

Newsflash #1: The Mavericks won't have enough money to sign Deron Williams and Dwight Howard to max contracts unless they dump Shawn Marion between now and July.

Newsflash #2: With this new CBA, it makes more fiscal sense to (re-)sign as a free agent than to sign an extension. So that is why Dwight Howard will not be signing an extension with anyone.

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

I'd be thrilled as all hell to have another great Center after only having Tyson for a year. Dallas was in basketball-center hell for pretty much the entirety of the franchise's history until Tyson came to town.
laugh.gif

I know it was a long time ago, but I seem to remember James Donaldson being decent for that late 80s Mavs squad with Derrick Harper, Rolando Blackman, etc.  But for the most part, you're right. 

Originally Posted by CP1708

Originally Posted by venom lyrix

this has become pretty much another Lakers season thread...I hate all you Lakers fans feeling so entitled thinking you guys deserve every FA...

Says a fan of the team trying to lure both Dwight and Deron in 5 months. 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

but they've cleared cap and put themselves in the position to do that, it's been Cuban's plan to land Deron for years...

what I mean here is dudes talkin about trading Beasley for a bag of potato chips

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

Originally Posted by tupac003

Listening to ESPN 710...

John Ireland is reporting that during the all star break Dwight Howard and His Agent told the Lakers that Dwight WILL NOT sign an extention if he is traded to the Lakers.

This just came across right now. No link due to the radio but this has been reported before.

He is also saying that 3 people in the know believe the D-12 and D-Will will end up in Dallas reguardless of if he is traded or not.

eek.gif
eek.gif
wow.

if true then i honestly question Dwight Howards commitment to winning.

i'm a Laker fan but I would say the same if the Heat, Bulls, Mavs or any other relevant team wanted to trade for him and he wouldn't sign the extension with him.

say what you want about the Lakers but their the closest thing to a team resembling the Yankees in the 4 major sports. they rarely have down years and their almost always relevant. Any player who wants to win championships would want to be on a team like that.

if he ultimately comes to the Lakers it would be a good move if they don't give up both pau and bynum but judging off his personality I don't think he's necessarily built for a big market team. when i really think about it, Dallas is a more ideal situation for him, regardless if the Mavs are playing good ball, that city is a Cowboys town and he won't receive anywhere near the negative press he would get get in either LA or New York if they don't win titles.

i don't think he's built to handle the New York market and being on the back of the post in a negative light if the Nets don't win or struggle to beat the Heat and Bulls when it counts nor do I think he can handle the pressure that would come with being the next great Laker center.

he's the best center in the league and a good defensive player but his offense isn't where I would like it to be 8 seasons into his career. aside from that he don't have that killer instinct that Shaq, Hakeem and other dominant centers had when playoff time came around.

aside from that dwight howard is annoying the hell outta me with his constant flip flopping and playing games.  one minute he's considering staying in orlando, the next he wants to be a laker, then his list changes to include the clippers, then he's interested in dallas, then he won't sign the extension with the lakers,  dude can't make up his mind and if i was a gm even if he does come to my team i would be wary of that in the long term,  flip flopping is a bad look.

Originally Posted by CP1708

this has become pretty much another Lakers season thread...I hate all you Lakers fans feeling so entitled thinking you guys deserve every FA...

Says a fan of the team trying to lure both Dwight and Deron in 5 months. 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

but they've cleared cap and put themselves in the position to do that, it's been Cuban's plan to land Deron for years...

what I mean here is dudes talkin about trading Beasley for a bag of potato chips

TWolves want to get rid of Beas.. Kahn himself has told people he dislikes him because his lack of maturity.  And with Derrick Williams, he has no reason to keep Beasley. And if they wanted to they'd have to post a $8.3 million qualifying offer.. 

With a team like the Wolves trying to build and build in a short period of time (have 3 years until KLove can opt out of his contract).. Tying $8,9,10 million in the next years would have been bad in trying to get a superstar in with Rubio and Love because they would want that cap room.

And because they traded a pick to the Clippers, who traded that to the Hornets.. They are willing to take any 1st Round pick for Beasley..  Only thing that changes it is if a team wants to add a player. But Kahn seemed like he didn't want a player in return

Listening to ESPN 710...

John Ireland is reporting that during the all star break Dwight Howard and His Agent told the Lakers that Dwight WILL NOT sign an extention if he is traded to the Lakers.

This just came across right now. No link due to the radio but this has been reported before.

He is also saying that 3 people in the know believe the D-12 and D-Will will end up in Dallas reguardless of if he is traded or not.

eek.gif
eek.gif
wow.

eek.gif

How was Dallas in basketball hell before last year? You had been to the NBA finals and been in the playoffs every year, hell is having a team that never even gets to the playoffs.  Why does every sports fan think they have it so tough, get out of here with that BS.
And Deron is basically a done deal to the Mavs.  That is going to happen.  Dwight...who knows but the guy is a lame wouldn't surprise me to see him go to Dallas with Dirk/Deron.

With Dwight and the trade deadline...Is there any team that would consider trading for him just for the rest of the year rental?  Obviously it would have to be a playoff team but who could over something substantial?  I think the Spurs would do it but they def. don't have the necessary pieces to get that done.  Philly? I mean that team is amazing defensively, just imagine how good they would be with Dwight in the middle? They have pieces as well.

Originally Posted by Rex Ryan

aside from that dwight howard is annoying the hell outta me with his constant flip flopping and playing games.  one minute he's considering staying in orlando, the next he wants to be a laker, then his list changes to include the clippers, then he's interested in dallas, then he won't sign the extension with the lakers,  dude can't make up his mind and if i was a gm even if he does come to my team i would be wary of that in the long term,  flip flopping is a bad look.

How many of those statements have come from Dwight directly, though? I ignore a lot of it, but I don't recall many direct quotes from Dwight or interviews where he says "I want to go to X, Y, Z," It seems like it's unnamed sources (as usual) running with BS then Dwight denying rumors.

Originally Posted by xbiker47

Listening to ESPN 710...

eek.gif
eek.gif
wow.
eek.gif

Makes me think Dwight and Deron in BK has a better shot and I like that even though I'm not a Nets fan. I just don't want a %%%%%% team in my borough. It'll look really ugly there if Deron leaves.

However, the 3 Ds in Dallas sounds good great. That's a great core that can go for a good 5 years more. Also stop bringing up Shawn Marion like he's an unmovable piece from now to the end of the season.

I like Philly taking that risk AMP

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

How was Dallas in basketball hell before last year? You had been to the NBA finals and been in the playoffs every year, hell is having a team that never even gets to the playoffs.  Why does every sports fan think they have it so tough, get out of here with that BS.
And Deron is basically a done deal to the Mavs.  That is going to happen.  Dwight...who knows but the guy is a lame wouldn't surprise me to see him go to Dallas with Dirk/Deron.

With Dwight and the trade deadline...Is there any team that would consider trading for him just for the rest of the year rental?  Obviously it would have to be a playoff team but who could over something substantial?  I think the Spurs would do it but they def. don't have the necessary pieces to get that done.  Philly? I mean that team is amazing defensively, just imagine how good they would be with Dwight in the middle? They have pieces as well.
Center-hell.
laugh.gif

Just saying that our biggest gaping hole has always been the Center position, that's all.

Donaldson wasn't bad, cool while he was here, but is he really that much better than someone like Haywood? Better, yes, not much better.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Warriors rent him.

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

Originally Posted by xbiker47

eek.gif
eek.gif
wow.
eek.gif

Makes me think Dwight and Deron in BK has a better shot and I like that even though I'm not a Nets fan. I just don't want a %%%%%% team in my borough. It'll look really ugly there if Deron leaves.

However, the 3 Ds in Dallas sounds good great. That's a great core that can go for a good 5 years more. Also stop bringing up Shawn Marion like he's an unmovable piece from now to the end of the season.

I like Philly taking that risk AMP
I just don't want to see another team in NY, I hate that the Nets are moving to Brooklyn. 
I'd like to see Howard and Williams end up in Dallas though, I'll always be a huge Mark Cuban fan and hope his team has much success.

Dwight can't stay in Orlando, he's been crying about that organization for 2-3 years now. It's time to get out, they're not gonna get better. Dallas or LA would be a good look

I did not like the idea of it at all when it was announced. Hated it until last year when I saw the arena was like 3/4ths done and I just dealt with it, figured might as well make the best of it. At the least I get to watch see more Knicks games live. The city already has more than 1 of every other sports team. Besides lets not act like NJ hasn't been an extra borough for the longest, so it's really like a team in the area building an arena somewhere else.

Howard sets sights on Nets

Will he stay, or will he go?
It's the question that hovered over Dwight Howard as he played host to what seemed like his going away party in All-Star weekend. It's the question that will be the driving force behind the Magic's decision-making in these crucial weeks as the March 15 trade deadline looms and they continue to hold onto the notion that their franchise centerpiece will want to stay in Orlando long-term.

Sources with knowledge of Howard's thinking say nothing has changed about his outlook. And while his wish-list of teams still includes the Nets, Lakers and Mavs, New Jersey is far and away the leader.

Though it may pain the purists, it's not just about basketball for Howard. He wants to take his brand global, to leverage the international influence of Russian owner Mikhail Prokhorov while building his brand as Brooklyn's first star. His wandering eye is enticed not only by the Barclays Center that is set to open next season, but the businesses in the booming area around it that could afford many off-court opportunities. He wants, as one source said, to "be Kobe Bryant, not be with Kobe Bryant." Of course, it's hardly that simple.

For starters, the Magic appear undecided on which direction they'll go. Now that the All-Star festivities are behind them, it appears they still might hold on to him until the end with hopes for a change of heart. Among the many complications here is that any and all hopes of landing Lakers center Andrew Bynum -- the best big man in the league to fill the Howard void -- appear to be dashed because of Howard's view of the Lakers.

Close friends of Howard say he was, in fact, informed that Bryant sees him as a second or third option on a championship-caliber team if he came to Los Angeles. And while the stance has its merits on the surface, it simply didn't help matters to engage in any sort of alpha dog discussion if that's what indeed went down. The Buss family that owns the Lakers, in turn, is said to be irked by Bryant's alleged role in the matter and hopeful that Howard -- who they see as the business and basketball draw for the next decade -- can still be convinced otherwise. But Howard's focus, one source close to him insists, was on the Nets regardless of Bryant's perceived influence.

Beyond the arena and the Big Apple love that would await him with the Nets, point guard and fellow free-agent-to-be Deron Williams is the basketball allure. Williams is waiting and watching the Howard saga like the rest of us, his future also depending on the outcome. It's not about the 10-25 record the Nets have entering the second half of the season, but whether New Jersey general manager Billy King can concoct a deal for Howard that may have to include three or four teams. If not, as is widely known, Williams is eyeing a return to his hometown team in Dallas and the Mavericks' dream of landing both players (which is still far-fetched) remains alive.

Howard could sign with the Nets in free agency, but getting to his chosen destination via trade means the chance to sign a five-year deal with 7.5 percent raises versus a four-year deal with 4.5 percent raise. It's hardly the biggest factor in this equation, but the Nets will be doing all they can to make it happen in these next few weeks.

Link

Can we just get a Brook Lopez and D-Will's headband for Dwight trade done so we can move on to talking about somebody else already...

Im really hoping if the Nets get Dwight they are somehow able to get it done before the deadline... I don't have that much faith in this offseason.
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by StillIn729

I lost a lot of respect for Dwight Howard this year

I will gain a lot of respect for D12 IF he doesn't go to LA.

Gonna son a worthless franchise. Fake fans. Fake Players. Fake Show.

One of them LA fans said that the lakers are "bigger than the sport". Guess he dosen't know the Celtics one up them in Chips.
30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by AIRJORDAN JB23

Im really hoping if the Nets get Dwight they are somehow able to get it done before the deadline... I don't have that much faith in this offseason.
ohwell.gif

if all you guys have to give up for dwight howard is brook lopez and draft picks you guys in new jersey should be crying tears of joy...

Social media really blows everything up. Same thing would've happened with Shaq-> LA back then if Twitter were around.

Originally Posted by NobleKane

Originally Posted by AIRJORDAN JB23

ohwell.gif

if all you guys have to give up for dwight howard is brook lopez and draft picks you guys in new jersey should be crying tears of joy...
Something along the lines of Howard and Turkoglu for Lopez, Brooks, Okur, Humphries, one more player (Stevenson or Shawne Williams) and draft picks works.

Originally Posted by Beware The Underdog

One of them LA fans said that the lakers are "bigger than the sport". Guess he dosen't know the Celtics one up them in Chips.
30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Championships since 2000:
Lakers- 5
Spurs- 3
Heat- 1
Pistons- 1
Mavericks- 1
Celtics- 1

30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif
Damn bro, why you mad though? 
laugh.gif

Heard Odom's contract could be bought out by the Mavs and he may be done (personal reasons). Hope it's not true. Love Odom.

frown.gif
tired.gif

Damn Odom I hope its not true. I hope your not REALLY done. I hope this is just a way to get back to LA because your not done yet....not at all. 

Originally Posted by MoonMan818

30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Championships since 2000:
Lakers- 5
Spurs- 3
Heat- 1
Pistons- 1
Mavericks- 1
Celtics- 1
Somebody is just going to post the total amount of chips of each team though
laugh.gif
You acting like setting up a specific year to start from changes anything.

Back
Top Bottom