Official 2013 Boxing Thread: Year is over, please lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mikey Garcia was abusing Salido in the ring. Why risk further injury when you've got the fight in the bag? If the broken nose was caused by a punch, then I can see where your beef is at. There was really no need to see Garcia whoop up on Salido some more.

Chris John vs. Garcia fight would be :pimp:

Too bad Chris John doesn't fight in the U.S. unless your name is Rocky Juarez. Mickey Garcia would handle John easily. There's nothing special about about someone who fights B-Level fighters (with the exception of JMM, where he was awarded a gift decision.)

Uhhhh, Salido was starting to come on strong in the later rounds before it got stopped. Also, I read that Salido ALSO suffered a broken nose as well (I think as early as the second round). So take that how you will.

Was it a broken nose from a butt? Or from a punch?

It's different when you've been knocked down four times in a fight, and when you're ahead about 10 points after about 8 rounds.

Salido was just trying to rough it up with Mikey, trying to get him to fight on the inside, because he WAS getting torched on the outside. He was outclassed.

Uhhhh, Salido was starting to come on strong in the later rounds before it got stopped. Also, I read that Salido ALSO suffered a broken nose as well (I think as early as the second round). So take that how you will.

Mannnn I saw it the exact same way.

Salido was Pouring it on, as he always does late. he is a Strong finisher.

those 4 knockdowns were lightning quick but nothing where he was out on his feet.

Robert Garcia took the easy way out for Mikey.

We needed to see Mikey withstand the barrage that was coming his way. he was Ineffective those last two rounds and Salido started cracking that Right hand.

Great performance marred by an "easy way out" decision by the challenger.

Mannnn I saw it the exact same way.

Salido was Pouring it on, as he always does late. he is a Strong finisher.

those 4 knockdowns were lightning quick but nothing where he was out on his feet.

Robert Garcia took the easy way out for Mikey.

We needed to see Mikey withstand the barrage that was coming his way. he was Ineffective those last two rounds and Salido started cracking that Right hand.

Great performance marred by an "easy way out" decision by the challenger.

The funny thing is Gunna, Robert Garcia did the SAME exact thing for his nephew on the Donaire-Nishioka undercard. He told the ref that his nephew got headbutted and couldn't breathe after the other dude hurt his nephew (almost out on his feet). I'll try and find the fight video for yall.

Good fights on the weekend. 

The Curtis knockout was impressive.  And that russian Kolvev(sp) looks to be a champ one day. 

GGG looked impressive but I think he might have underestimated Rosado stamina.  Rosado looks promising, just needs more experience and these two should fight in a yr or two.  

You guys might be right.  The Garcia fam did take the easy way out.  Rematch should be in order, unless the Garcia's come up with excusses.  Mikey did look on point but did back off in the later rds.  why did he let up so early? Yea, he knocked him down 4 times, but didn't finish him off.  well I hope they do rematch. 

Like others have said, there were some solid fights this weekend; but with all this speculation on whether Floyd Mayweather is fighting Robert Guerrero or Tim Bradley on May 4th, which fight do you all think is the better matchup?  I personally would like to see him fight Tim Bradley due to the challenge he may bring stylistically, but I'd like to hear other peoples opinions as well.

I don't know man, your guys' outlook on Salido was that he was making progress, pouring it on, but to me it looked more like sloppy desperation.

Like others have said, there were some solid fights this weekend; but with all this speculation on whether Floyd Mayweather is fighting Robert Guerrero or Tim Bradley on May 4th, which fight do you all think is the better matchup?  I personally would like to see him fight Tim Bradley due to the challenge he may bring stylistically, but I'd like to hear other peoples opinions as well.

Isn't Mayweather vs Guerrero official? How would Bradley be a better style to fight Floyd? I mean he's feather fisted. You need someone with decent pop to test Floyd.

Isn't Mayweather vs Guerrero official? How would Bradley be a better style to fight Floyd? I mean he's feather fisted. You need someone with decent pop to test Floyd.
Neither one is worth buying to me personally. Both of them will be a walking punching bags, and neither is the greatest puncher Floyd wont be tested by either, but If I were to purchase one are the other I'd rather see the Bradley fight. The Guerrero vs Breto fight still resonates in my head, and not in a good way that guy fights rugged & dirty. Realistically the Guerrero fight would do better number & with Mayweathers next fight being on Cinco de Mayo weekend that fight is a lock more than likely.

Last edited:

But Garcia didn't break Salido's nose with a headbutt. I think your giving Salido a little too much credit about coming on strong in the late rounds. He was wild and far from effective. Yea he was doing better but that's easy to do when you looked like ****e in the earlier rounds. He looked completely lost in the ring against Garcia.

Weekend wrap.
A roundup of the past week's notable boxing results from around the world:

Saturday at New York
Miguel Angel "Mikey" Garcia Tech. Dec. 8 Orlando Salido
Wins a featherweight title
Scores: 79-70, 79-69 (twice)
Records: Garcia (31-0, 26 KOs); Salido (39-12-2, 27 KOs)
Rafael's remarks: Most folks figured this fight, headlining a quality tripleheader as HBO kicked off its 2013 "Boxing After Dark" season, would be a highly competitive and exciting fight -- even though the younger, quicker, sharper Garcia was the favorite to beat Salido. But Garcia was way more dominant than anybody figured he would be and Salido was way worse than anyone thought he would be. The result was a one-sided drubbing until a wholly unsatisfying conclusion. It was so unsatisfying that even though Garcia had just won a world title, he barely smiled and did not celebrate in excitement for his accomplishment.

Regardless, Garcia was thoroughly dominant. This was an easy fight to score as Garcia won at least seven of the eight rounds, with a few people giving Salido one round. Garcia was not just winning the rounds, he was doing it easily. Garcia, 25, of Oxnard, Calif., scored four knockdowns in the fight to open a massive lead. He floored Salido, 32, of Mexico, who was making his third title defense, twice in the first round. He went down again in the third round from an uppercut and then for the fourth time early in the fourth round from a left hand. Garcia was doing as he pleased and it was impressive that Salido, whose face was bruised and swelling, was able to make it through the eighth round. But just before the end of the eight round, he crashed his head directly into Garcia's nose and broke it badly. Garcia was having trouble breathing and his nose was obviously crooked. The ringside doctor examined the nose after the eighth round and told referee Benjy Esteves that Garcia could not continue, and Esteves stopped the fight and sent it to the scorecards for a technical decision.

It was an unsatisfactory ending because Salido, while utterly outgunned, was coming on a little bit in the seventh and eighth rounds. Garcia, who was masterful in the best performance of his career, was not happy to have the fight end like that. Nonetheless, Garcia, trained by his brother Robert, the former junior lightweight titlist and one of the sport's top cornermen, fulfilled the expectation that he would win a title when he turned pro in 2006. Salido, meantime, looked nothing like the beast who scored two upset knockout wins in title fights against Puerto Rico's Juan Manuel Lopez in 2011 and 2012. Those very tough fights, along with others in his career, clearly took something out of him. For Garcia, this could be the start of a lengthy title reign.

Gennady Golovkin TKO7 Gabriel Rosado
Retains a middleweight title
Records: Golovkin (25-0, 22 KOs); Rosado (21-6, 13 KOs)
Rafael's remarks: Golovkin might have a few defensive flaws, might not be the quickest cat out there and might need to fight some better-quality opponents before we really know what he is all about, but who's more interesting in the middleweight division these days? Nobody. When Golovkin fights, you gotta watch because he is that exciting. He is a relentless pressure fighter who wants to please the crowd and wants to fight the best. He has a chance to become a major player in major fights, especially as he builds his American fan base and has great support from HBO, which is interested in signing him to a multi-fight agreement. He had his first fight in the United States in September and destroyed a good fighter in Grzegorz Proksa in his HBO debut and he did more of the same kind of damage against Rosado in his second American fight as Golovkin, 30, a 2004 Olympic silver medalist for Kazakhstan, retained his middleweight belt for the sixth time with a nice contingent of fans on hand.

Golovkin dominated the entire fight and busted up Rosado's face with multiple cuts before Rosado's trainer, Billy Briscoe, threw in the towel in the seventh round. It took referee Steve Smoger a few seconds to see the towel because it came in behind him, but once he saw it, Smoger stepped in to stop the bout at 2 minutes, 46 seconds. Rosado, 26, of Philadelphia, would never have quit. He is too proud and too game. But the cuts over his left eye were too severe and Briscoe made the right call.

Golovkin, who was ill in bed just two days before the fight -- so he was not at his absolute best -- still looked pretty darn good. He worked Rosado over for the entire fight. By the time it was stopped, both men were covered in Rosado's blood. Golovkin opened one cut in the second round, had him bleeding from the nose and also from other cuts around the eye as the fight wore on. Rosado, who gave up a mandatory title fight at junior middleweight to move up in weight for a tougher title fight with Golovkin (albeit for more money), was utterly outgunned, but this was still an entertaining fight to watch. Golovkin, whose handlers say he will be back in March or April, will give anyone at middleweight a tough fight and be favored against most opponents. Can't wait to see him back in action. Rosado probably would be best suited to return to junior middleweight, where he can still be a factor and in the title hunt. Although he lost this fight badly, it should not hurt his stock too much; who wouldn't want to see him again?

Roman "Rocky" Martinez D12 Juan Carlos Burgos
Retains a junior lightweight title
Scores: 117-111 Burgos, 116-112 Martinez, 114-114
Records: Martinez (26-1-2, 16 KOs); Burgos (30-1-1, 20 KOs)
Rafael's remarks: This was a first-class match between two of the top 130-pounders: Martinez, a two-time titleholder, and Burgos, a legitimate mandatory challenger. Martinez, 29, of Puerto Rico and the crowd favorite, kicked off his second title reign by claiming a vacant title in September by winning a debatable split decision in a terrific fight against Miguel Beltran Jr. on the Sergio Martinez-Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. undercard. Making his first defense, Martinez escaped with his belt on another highly debatable decision. Almost all of press row, as well as the Twitterverse and HBO's Harold Lederman, had Burgos, 24, of Mexico, winning the fight. He hammered Martinez with hard body punches throughout the bout. According to CompuBox, Burgos landed more punches in 10 out of the 12 rounds. Burgos just seemed more in control, stronger and better able to do what he wanted to do. Martinez seemed to have a hard time dealing with his height and reach. Yet judge John Signorile had it even and Tony Paolillo shamefully had Martinez up by four points. What a joke. The fight itself was decent, although not the kind of exciting fight many had anticipated, but these guys are both solid pros who know how to fight. They seemed to give each other a little too much respect, although there were some brief bursts of excitement, such as in the sixth round when they had some fierce toe-to-toe exchanges. The scoring was dodgy enough that it the Burgos, a decision loser in a previous world title fight (a 2010 featherweight scrap with Hozumi Hasegawa in Japan), plans to ask the WBO, which sanctioned the fight, to order a rematch. Burgos deserves it.

Saturday at Uncasville, Conn.
Sergey Kovalev TKO3 Gabriel Campillo
Light heavyweights
Records: Kovalev (20-0-1, 17 KOs); Campillo (21-5-1, 7 KOs)
Rafael's remarks: What a tremendous statement victory for Russia's Kovalev, 29, a new face on the scene who might go all the way to a title. He's a rough, powerful guy who simply destroyed the cagey Campillo. Kovalev had looked good in his recent fights, but he had not faced any legitimate opponents. Nobody can say that anymore after he not only faced Campillo, a former world titleholder, but blew him away in very impressive fashion. With the win, which came in the main event of NBC Sports Net's "Fight Night," Kovalev pounded his way into title contention at 175 pounds. Kovalev and Campillo, 34, of Spain, were supposed to fight in September, but a bad back forced Campillo, a southpaw, to drop out. The fight was eventually rescheduled, which Campillo might now regret. He was never in the fight. Kovalev came out firing and never let up. He hurt Campillo in the first round, continued to apply pressure in a dominant second round and then knocked him down three times in the third round for the victory. All three knockdowns came on right hands, stunning Campillo each time. Finally, when he went down to the seat of his pants on the third knockdown, referee Michael Ortega waived off the fight at 1 minute, 30 seconds. The CompuBox statistics were overwhelming in favor of Kovalev, who landed 77 of 227 blows (34 percent) while Campillo connected on just 13 of 59 (22 percent). Campillo has never been crushed like this. In fact, in his last fight 11 months ago, he lost a split decision to titleholder Tavoris Cloud in a fight that many believe Campillo deserved to win. Kovalev may have looked too good in this fight and could have a lot of trouble enticing a top opponent to face him.

Curtis Stevens TKO1 Elvin Ayala
Middleweights
Records: Stevens (23-3, 17 KOs); Ayala (26-6-1, 12 KOs)
Rafael's remarks: Welcome back, "Showtime" Stevens. The 27-year-old from Brooklyn, N.Y., was once a fast-rising super middleweight prospect who never quite made it. He may not have hit it big, but Stevens always had excellent punching power. But after a lopsided decision loss to Jesse Brinkley in January 2010, Stevens went idle for 14 months before returning for a first-round knockout against a weak opponent. Then came another year layoff -- he's had some promotional problems -- before Stevens' latest return on this card in his first fight at middleweight (weighing in at 159 pounds. The power is still there and he showed it off impressively with a tremendous knockout performance against Ayala, 32, of New Haven, Conn. Ayala had gone into the 12th round with a prime Arthur Abraham in a middleweight title bout in 2008 before being stopped. In 2010, Ayala was drilled in one round by David Lemieux. Since that loss, Ayala had won six in a row, but would he be able to hang with a punch such as Stevens? No way. Stevens blasted him out in just 70 impressive seconds. He was on the attack from the opening bell before landing a hard left hook to Ayala's temple for a knockdown. Ayala was a mess when he got up and could barely stand up straight or walk forward, but referee Tony Chiarantano ridiculously let the fight continue and it was target practice for Stevens. He pinned Ayala against the ropes and landed several more shots, including another left, to drop him again as Chiarantano called it off later than it should have been. Nice comeback for Stevens, who might make some noise at 160 if he fights with this kind of focus and aggression.

We were almost treated to a second fight with Stevens, because as he was celebrating his win by climbing the ring post to salute the crowd, some idiot from the crowd stormed the ring, grabbed him from behind the back and tried to tackle him, leading to a brief skirmish in the ring until security quickly got things under control. What was that dope thinking storming the ring? He should be forced to take one of Steven's left hooks to teach him a lesson.

Saturday at Villahermosa, Mexico
Sergio Thompson TKO5 Moises Castro
Junior lightweights
Records: Thompson (25-2, 23 KOs); Castro (29-20-4, 13 KOs)
Rafael's remarks: Thompson, 29, of Mexico, is closing in on a title shot after emerging from obscurity in March 2012, which is when he scored an upset second-round knockout of Jorge Linares. After that win, Thompson dropped back down to junior lightweight and has continued to win, albeit against suspect opponents. Castro, a 34-year-old southpaw from Nicaragua, however, was a weaker opponent than usual as he dropped to 2-11 in his last 13 fights and Thompson extended his knockout streak to 10 consecutive fights. Thompson is a physical fighter and took it to Castro, who was trying to survive. Thompson opened a cut on Castro's left eyelid in the fourth round. Going into the fifth round, Thompson was pitching a shutout on all three scorecards. In the fifth round, the blood flow from the cut on Castro's eyelid got much worse. There was blood pouring down his face and referee Jesus Manuel Erosa called time to have the ringside doctor look at the cut. It was deemed to severe for Castro to continue and Erosa called off the fight at 1 minute, 25 seconds.

Deontay Wilder TKO2 Matt Greer
Heavyweights
Records: Wilder (27-0, 27 KOs); Greer (15-9, 13 KOs)
Rafael's remarks: As usual, Wilder, one of the top American heavyweight prospects and a 2008 Olympic bronze medalist, was matched with an opponent with no prayer to win and scored a non-competitive knockout. That's pretty much the way it has been for every one of Wilder's 27 fights, although he did take a halfway decent step up in competition on Dec. 15, when he blitzed previously undefeated Kelvin Price in a third-round knockout. For this stay-busy fight, Wilder, 27, Tuscaloosa, Ala., took a massive step down in competition against Greer, 35, of Parkville, Mo. He provided absolutely nothing as Wilder beat on him the way he probably does to the heavy bag in the gym. The 6-foot-7, 225-pound Wilder dominated the first round and then put Greer, 6-2, 240 pounds, away with ease with three knockdowns in the second round. Wilder first dropped him to his knees with a clubbing right hand and then dropped him twice more to his knees on right hands before referee Jesus Manuel Erosa called the woeful mismatch off at 1 minute, 16 seconds. Hopefully, promoter Golden Boy will step Wilder up at least a little bit. It is becoming very frustrating to watch him smash guy who go into the ring with zero chance. What's the point?

Friday at Walsall, England
Frankie Gavin TKO7 Jason Welborn
Retains British welterweight title
Records: Gavin (15-0, 11 KOs); Welborn (11-2, 5 KOs)
Rafael's remarks: Gavin, 27, of England, was a 2007 world amateur champion and then made the 2008 British Olympic team but never competed in Beijing after pulling out of the tournament because he was unable to make weight. As a pro, he looks like he is beginning to come into his own after some personal issues. He outpointed former world titleholder Junior Witter in November to win the British title and made his first defense against England's Welborn, 26. The quicker Gavin controlled the fight from the start, although Welborn gave a top-notch effort. He made Gavin, a southpaw, work for the win. In the seventh round, Gavin landed a left hand to the body that forced Welborn to take a knee. When the fight resumed, Gavin was all over him, raining punches until referee Ian John-Lewis stepped in to stop the bout at 2 minuets, 23 seconds.

Meanwhile, Schaefer and his rival promoter Bob Arum have struck at least a minor agreement, allowing Abner Mares’ manager Frank Espinoza to serve as an intermediary to negotiate a possible April 13 super-bantamweight title unification bout between Golden Boy’s Mares and Arum’s Nonito Donaire.

Espinoza said he is “encouraged” by the momentum of the talks and contends “this is a very marketable fight between a great fighter from Mexico and a great fighter from the Philippines.”

Espinoza said he would expect to know if the fight can happen within two weeks, after Arum returns from a trip.

Though Mares (25-0-1, 13 knockouts) will likely accept a smaller purse than Donaire in the bout,  Schaefer and Espinoza said they’ve proposed that should Mares win, the purses would be flip-flopped for the rematch.

Schaefer said he doubts Arum will agree because “he knows Donaire will lose.”

Yet, Donaire (31-1, 20 KOs), likely to be named the fighter of the year for 2012, would be the expected betting favorite in the bout.

Painting a grim outcome of the talks is Donaire manager Cameron Dunkin, who told The Times, “That fight’s not happening. Get over it, and let’s move in to something else.”

Dunkin said Mares is asking for too much money – cash that will not be near what HBO or Showtime would pay for the fight.
- Source: LA Times

eek.gif
mad.gif
GET IT DONE...do it for the damn sport.

I agree with most of you guys on the Mikey Garcia thing. He is a rising start in the sport. To go out there compromised could hurt his career. I would have done the same thing he did. That big big big pay day is in his future....if he would have lost to salido it hurts the pockets down the road.

LOL at Rosado coming to the after fight interview "this dude strong as hell". I think GGG had the same power but just didn't get to land anything flush. I am sure Rosado would disagree given his face. But even his jab was snapping Rosado's head back. Props to Rosado though for toughing it out and putting on a good show for the fans. He had blood pumping out of his eye at one point like Kill Bill style.

GGG got hit though. Some good uppercuts by Rosado. I noticed the same thing mentioned in here too. When rosado took initiative and started pressing a little GGG looked worse. It would be interesting to see GGG vs some one with a good lead jab or another pressure fighter. But i think GGG has scary power and i love watching him fight for that reason alone.

after the Vic fight, You couldnt tell me Nothing about Nonito, now Im not even a fan...

Only thing I give him props for is being tested 24/7/365.

@ Schaefer offering 3M for the services of Donaire. Big bucks right there Arum better take that offer so GBP can make Donaire vs Mares already.

The Ghost vs Mayweather will happen May 4 2013. Who else can Mayweather fight not big head Bradley.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom