Official 2013 Boxing Thread: Year is over, please lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was barely any promotion for the fight though outside of All Access, and to be honest...HBO has more subscribers than Showtime does.

On top of that, Floyd didn't do his usual amount of press, hell there wasn't even a kickoff press conference. I remember being at the Floyd/Cotto presser at the Apollo, the line to get in was over a block deep.

Floyd has a GUARANTEED amount now, he's doing the least amount of press possible...unless he fights Canelo.

P.S. That 30 Days Of May doc was absolute garbage.

ALLLLLL of this

I said this from the start...i wasn't hyped at all for this fight...why because i don't have Showtime....i have hbo...i used to casually watch all the 24-7s because they would just air a lot. And a lot of people i know don't have showtime either

And when you are guaranteed money for a fight...there is no reason to go out and do tons of press. Most of floyds fights he bankrolls and depends on the PPV buys....but not this fight no reason to go above and beyond for promo

There was barely any promotion for the fight though outside of All Access, and to be honest...HBO has more subscribers than Showtime does.

On top of that, Floyd didn't do his usual amount of press, hell there wasn't even a kickoff press conference. I remember being at the Floyd/Cotto presser at the Apollo, the line to get in was over a block deep.

Floyd has a GUARANTEED amount now, he's doing the least amount of press possible...unless he fights Canelo.

Yup.

Ghost has no fan base and rightfully so.

I feel like Adrien Broner is gonna get Andre Berto'd once he faces some real competition.

Broner has no business fighting guys like Paulie right now in his career. a fight with Paulie should have happened 3-5 fights ago.

Broner should be facing guys like Peterson, Maidana, Matthysse, Alexander, Garcia etc...

Haymon Hype machine is real

Yup. But I like Broner so I'm hoping not.

FWIW, on PPV nights, I know I'm not going to be around at all. On those nights, unless it's a Manny fight or something really dramatic going down, it usually doesn't get too live.

Ghost has no fan base and rightfully so.

I feel like Adrien Broner is gonna get Andre Berto'd once he faces some real competition.

Broner has no business fighting guys like Paulie right now in his career. a fight with Paulie should have happened 3-5 fights ago.

Broner should be facing guys like Peterson, Maidana, Matthysse, Alexander, Garcia etc...

Haymon Hype machine is real

IMO Broner won't have a huge fan base, that wanna-be Floyd "Money" Mayweather schtick has already started wearing thin.

"On the floor like a floor tile" - Adrian Broner. Dude is a cornball. Getting upset if he finds $20 bills in his stack of money :smh: :lol:

If Mayweather was definitely retired that persona may have worked but since people can see the real Floyd nobody wants the variant.

Every interview dude mentions his "big brother" Floyd Mayweather :stoneface:

Last edited:
I don't know how far Broner will go but isn't true that all of the 140 guys had prior commitments at the time the fight with the Magic Man was setup?

Couldn't the other side just say don't let Mayweather/Golden Boy fool you too?

at this point its a moot point, who knows what was discussed over the past 3 years when they could have fought. im sure hundreds of different forms of contracts stated and did not state different things throughout the process. at the end of the day they didn't fight and it wasn't just for money or drug testing. thats just for the public.
Maybe because all of the fighers that people said Mayweather was ducking. Fought Mayweather after they left Bob Arum, Cotto, Mosley, De La Hoya

Didn't Floyd always have a guaranteed 25-30mill per fight anyways though? He's still getting a cut out of the ppv revenues under this new contract so it makes no sense that he would be less committed to doing press for this fight.

Floyd "rap" fan base needs someone to root for when he hangs it up right? Broner is that guy

Berto was suppose to be next but he kept losing. We will see what broner does

Speaking of berto. Saturday nights fight just made me see even more how stupid he was In his fight vs Robert

Its funny man, Floyd is my favorite athlete alive, but Broner, I hate that dude haha. I know he takes alot of heat of trying to be floyd but he is such a cornball. I want him to catch a l next month

Its funny man, Floyd is my favorite athlete alive, but Broner, I hate that dude haha. I know he takes alot of heat of trying to be floyd but he is such a cornball. I want him to catch a l next month
I agree with you. Dudes a clown.

Broner is not losing to Paulie "feather-fisted" Malignaggi. It's a safe fight to get Broner a belt.

Interesting point of view regarding Pac-Man fighting in China:

On Monday, Yahoo Sports reported that welterweight Manny Pacquiao will make his return to boxing on November 24th when he squares off with Brandon Rios in the unlikely location of Macau, China, prompting millions of Americans to ask, “What’s boxing?”

I kid, of course. The reports of boxing’s death has been greatly exaggerated, and a bout featuring one of the all-time greats is still typically of significant interest to sports fans, provided of course there is no football, baseball, basketball, hockey, soccer, UFC fights, or roller derby being televised at the same time.

There had been little anticipation from the sports community for Pacquiao’s return, however, largely due to the fact that the last time we’d seen him, he was kissing the canvas after a vicious right hand from Juan Manuel Marquez and giving birth to a brilliant internet meme, only a small sample of which can be enjoyed below:

Interestingly enough, however, it has been the tax world that has been keeping a watchful eye on Pacquiao’s return. Back in February, Pacquiao adviser Michael Koncz sparked some controversy when he told Yahoo Sports that his fighter would likely eschew the bright lights of Vegas for his next bout due to the rising top U.S. tax rate, which increased from 35 percent to 39.6 percent on January 1, 2013.

That threat has now come to fruition, with Pacquiao choosing to take his talents to China, where he is hugely popular and, more importantly, the top marginal tax rate is only 12 percent. Because Pacquiao is neither a U.S. resident nor a citizen, he will not pay U.S. tax on any money earned from the fight, allowing him to pocket an extra 28 percent of the purse.

In simple terms, if Pacquiao rakes in $25 million from the Rios fight, holding the match in China will allow him to walk away with $22 million, while a Vegas bout would have left him with only $15 million.

With his tax savings settled, Pacquiao can now focus his attention on giving America’s finest photoshoppers a hilarious new knockout position with which to work.

follow along on twitter @nittigrittytax

http://www.forbes.com/sites/anthony...ducks-u-s-taxes-will-return-to-ring-in-china/

Brilliant!

I Keep asking when are these American born fighters going to swallow their pride and take their act over seas.

the only folks keeping boxing alive in America are Blacks and Hispanics.

However in Europe, China and south of the Border Boxing thrives.

Take your ***** to the $$$$$

I cant wait for JuanMa to come back.

I dont think hes the best fighter but he Fights Hard and has heart. Losing to Solido is no embarrassment.

Brilliant!

I Keep asking when are these American born fighters going to swallow their pride and take their act over seas.

the only folks keeping boxing alive in America are Blacks and Hispanics.

However in Europe, China and south of the Border Boxing thrives.

Take your ***** to the $$$$$

This is an excerpt from Steve Kim's latest on maxboxing.com

But Schaefer didn’t rule out that a Mayweather-Khan match-up could happen in 2014.

“I think it’s a possibility. You obviously have Floyd who’s made it very clear that he would like to fight in the U.K. He loves the U.K., the U.K. fan-base he has there, which is substantial. But there are some things that would have to be worked out,” said Schaefer, alluding to the taxes that Mayweather would be subject to for performing in jolly ol’ England. Schaefer mentioned that track superstar Usain Bolt negotiated a special arrangement that allowed him to run in Britain.

It would appear the England has pretty aggressive tax laws as well, but it would also appear they are willing to work with you.

http://www.maxboxing.com/news/main-lead/moving-forward-

Floyd Mayweather Boxed into a Corner by Canelo Alvarez?
Yahoo! Contributor Network
By Paul Magno | Yahoo! Contributor Network – 8 hours ago

COMMENTARY | Saul "Canelo" Alvarez, unlike any fighter to set his sights on Floyd Mayweather before him, just may win a battle of wills against the controversial 5-division world champ. Unlike Robert Guerrero, who proved to be little challenge for Mayweather in a face to face fight on May 4, Alvarez is looking more and more like the big winner in his quest for a big money Mayweather bout on September 14.

Assuming that early reports are true and the Mayweather-Guerrero pay-per-view buy rate was an overall disappointment, Showtime and those with an actual vested economic interest in Mayweather's six-fight, thirty-month deal will likely be putting copious amounts of pressure on the fighter's team to pick things up with this next event. They'll likely want an opponent who can carry his end of the promotion and whip fans into a buying frenzy.

But looking out over the horizon at possible bouts with fighters from 140 to 154 lbs., there just aren't all that many bankable names who fit the bill of good guy to Mayweather's well-hyped bad guy.

There are a number of quality opponents available, but Mayweather is now in a position of having to sustain an empire and being a quality opponent is just not enough anymore. He has to fight someone who is either already a bankable draw or one who can be made a draw in the few months leading up to the fight. So, while bouts with the likes of Danny Garcia, coming up from 140, and Erislandy Lara at 154 may be interesting, they just wouldn't be able to generate enough buys. And, of course, forget any Top Rank fighter-Pacquiao, Bradley, Alvarado-because, as we should all know by now, Bob Arum would prefer to lose a dime than put a penny in Mayweather's pocket.

So, that leaves Saul Alvarez as the only reasonable, viable, and realistically possible opponent for Mayweather.

The 22-year-old WBC junior middleweight champ from Guadalajara has been a major draw in Mexico for the better part of two years and just proved his across-the-border appeal by bringing 40,000 screaming fans to San Antonio, Texas' Alamodome for his April 20 bout with Austin Trout. Since moving from HBO to Showtime, Alvarez has also registered two ratings hits for the network.

Given the substantial Mexican and Mexican-American hardcore boxing fan base in the United States, Canelo is a no-brainer for a Mayweather clash. And whether Mayweather likes it or not, he may be the only option on the table when it comes to a next fight.

For Alvarez, landing the Mayweather fight is a win-win proposition.

"If Canelo wins it is a great triumph for Canelo and all of Mexico," four-division world champ, Juan Manuel Marquez commented to Boxingscene. "If he loses he still wins because of the experience he gains from the fight. He won't lose from learning from a fight like that. That is why I say it is a win-win situation."

WBC president, Jose Sulaiman, however, is of a very different opinion.

"I think that Canelo Alvarez should take one or two more fights (before facing Mayweather)," Sulaiman told ESPN Deportes. "It would be an error to fight him (now)….the possibility of a victory now as compared to next year would be completely different...Canelo showed great advances in his bout with Trout, but Canelo is still very young and he should be worried about maintaining his place as world champion and as a Mexican idol for many more years and not get into his head a fight for a certain amount of money that would be better for him next year."

Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer will reportedly begin talks this week with Mayweather adviser, Al Haymon for a Mayweather-Alvarez bout in September, but there's no guarantee that any sort of deal will be worked out.

Mayweather, who has shown a real distaste for feeling cornered or pressured in pre-fight negotiations, may bristle at the idea of a list of potential opponents with just one name on it. Not too long ago Mayweather allowed Alvarez to remove his fight with Trout from the Mayweather-Guerrero undercard over a refusal to sign a contract to fight him next. At the time, Mayweather balked at the idea of a 22-year-old relative newcomer trying to issue ultimatums to him.

But things may have changed drastically since then.

Mayweather will need to follow up the Guerrero romp with a bout promising a more competitive tussle and one guaranteed to attract fan attention. Like it or not, Mayweather may have to swallow his pride for the first time in a long time, and accept that he has been boxed into a corner.

For "Money" Mayweather, it's Canelo or Bust on September 14.

Paul Magno was a licensed official in the state of Michoacan, Mexico and a close follower of the sport for more than thirty years. His work can also be found on Fox Sports and as Editor-in-Chief of The Boxing Tribune. In the past, Paul has done work for Inside Fights, The Queensberry Rules and Eastside Boxing. For breaking news, additional analysis, and assorted crazy commentary, follow him on Facebook, @TheBoxingTribune or on Twitter, @BoxingBTBC.

This fight won't come off in September....

Unlike most of Floyd's opponents, Canelo NOW has the clout to command a big payday.

Cotto also commanded a big payday, but being that he was already established...Floyd pretty much had to respect him.

I wouldn't mind seeing this fight as it is good for the sport BUT...

sick.gif
The weight difference on fight night is probably going to be ridiculous.

This fight won't come off in September....

Unlike most of Floyd's opponents, Canelo NOW has the clout to command a big payday.

Cotto also commanded a big payday, but being that he was already established...Floyd pretty much had to respect him.

I wouldn't mind seeing this fight as it is good for the sport BUT...

sick.gif
The weight difference on fight night is probably going to be ridiculous.

The fight is going to happen. Mayweather has pretty much been boxed into a corner. He's going to have to fight a fighter with a name. The only fighters around 147 with a name are Canelo, Bradley, Pac and Marquez. If the Guerrero fight would have produced better numbers, Floyd could have continued picking whoever he wanted. Showtime has invested alot of money into him so I'm sure they will put pressure on him to make the biggest fight possible.

When you are getting tens of millions just to show up, how are you being boxed into a corner*?

*if we are to believe the terms of the contract

Last edited:
When you are getting tens of millions just to show up, how are you being boxed into a corner*?

*if we are to believe the terms of the contract
You think Showtime is paying Floyd hundreds of millions for subpar PPV events? I'm as big a fan of Floyd as anyone but I'm a realist also. At some point, you have to give the people what they want or they stop watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom