Official 2013 Boxing Thread: Year is over, please lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Floyd beating khan does nothing bc khan is done he almost got knocked out by Diaz. Doesn't make sense if they agree to fight.

If Canelo fights Cotto it will be canelo winning by KO bc Cotto is a small 154 can't do any damage to others at that weight like he couldn't hurt Trout.

Floyd is too small for Canelo, Broners even smaller. He just moved up to welterweight and thats probably as high as he goes.

He's only 23 he can still put on more weight and he has too if he wants to get the $ that he says he does.

So who does Canelo fight after Cotto?

Floyd is too small for Canelo, Broners even smaller. He just moved up to welterweight and thats probably as high as he goes.

He's only 23 he can still put on more weight and he has too if he wants to get the $ that he says he does.

So who does Canelo fight after Cotto?

He still has the whole 140lb division to clean out. That's plenty of money right there. He's only 5'6" he wont want to deal with most of the guys at 154 who are 5'10".

Cotto training with Freddie roach now? WTF

Lol Roach on a 4 match losing streak (I think) Make it 5 i guess.

My boys swear Hatton almost KO'd mayweather in the first round in their bout when mayweather went stumbling. I swear he just lost his footing though

Cotto is lame on so many levels if this is his way of blaming Pedro Diaz for his last 2 losses. Pedro looked like the best fit for him. If he wants a prayer against Canelo he better hire Angel Heredia for strength and conditioning.

Last edited:
Somebody on twitter said Roach is the Mike D'antoni of trainers. All offense, no defense whats so ever in his gameplans. Had me dying lmaoooo

I'll always be biased towards Cotto since he's a favorite BUT...

Dude needs to quit blaming his losses on his trainers...

It's been a constant problem since he fired Evangelista. Hell, he prob should just man up and go back to him...

Maybe he'll sit down on his damn punches and go back to the body

Cotto got comfy when he outboxed Mosley, changed up his style and never looked back.

Wishful thinking at this point, whatever...

Cotto need to get back to the Body work. as bad as Canelo tires out late in rounds, it would be the perfect storm for an upset.

Trout's best offense was when he actually went downstairs.

but That Old Cotto is Long gone.

THAT Cotto was a thing of Beauty

Damn sure was...

Cotto is lame on so many levels if this is his way of blaming Pedro Diaz for his last 2 losses. Pedro looked like the best fit for him. If he wants a prayer against Canelo he better hire Angel Heredia for strength and conditioning.

He needs whatever he had JMM on to beat Canelo. :lol:

And I agree Cotto has gone away from the body work which used to be a calling card. Canelo gotta improve his cardio, against Trout late in the fight he was getting so sloppy from fatigue that if Trout had any type of power in his hands he could have put him on the ground.

Technically, Cotto is an Excellent Boxer. mannn. too bad he wasnt blessed with Tremendous hand and foot speed

Did MAC's Father pass away before Margarito fight?

it seems it was Evangilista who really emphasized the bodywork

So where are these "sources" that were saying the fight was going to do bad? Dan rafael? :smh:

reading up and listening to a guy who has been around boxing, he said there is no way to tell that early how much a fight did due to gathering info from all the different cable providers.

Said those Tuesday rumors were "horses---"

being reported that the numbers coming in today and tomorrow will have the Buys at over 1M.

the official number should come out in the morning

Yup, like Gunna said the fight surpassed atleast a mill ppv buys.

This guy basically sold a mill by himself. Crazy

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/i...-money-mayweather-jr-face-saul-canelo-alvarez

Hopefully this continues to pick up steam but I doubt Canelo-Floyd happens in September and truth be told, I think it might bode well for Canelo if he fights Floyd in 2014 instead. I really liked what I saw from Canelo against Trout (improved his defense a lot IMO) but I think the most troubling aspect is his stamina and maybe another fight under his belt (perhaps against Cotto?) will allow him to work on that area in preparation for Mayweather. I don't think Canelo will beat Floyd but I think he poses as the biggest threat given his size and punching power.

There's question as to whether who's bigger between Vic Ortiz and Guerrero? Bruh no one knows who Guerrero is. Vic Ortiz has the face. He is Mr. Dancing with the Stars. Dude had his own commercials. :lol: They invested some stock in Ortiz before putting him out there with Floyd. Guerrero was just a tune-up fight for his September fight. The only reason I'm a fan of Guerrero is because the guy is from my area. :lol:

There was barely any promotion for the fight though outside of All Access, and to be honest...HBO has more subscribers than Showtime does.

I really agree with a lot of this. A lot of people have HBO. Not as many people have Showtime. A lot of people know about HBO PPV, not so much with Showtime. When was the last time Showtime had a PPV? Add to that fact, basically a no-name outside of the boxing community is fighting Floyd? Yikes. And also, at the presser, Floyd sat on his phone for half an hour. Literally, :lol:

That said, they pimped this fight on Showtime and CBS Sports Network. The bad news? No one watches CBS Sports Network, and Showtime All-Access doesn't even come CLOSE to 24/7. That and the CBS documentary flopped badly. The commercials were all over the place, but when there's not a face for him to fight, it's a harder sell.

That said, if we're comparing sells of Mayweather and Pac, look how poorly Manny did with low-end fighters like Clottey. 700,000 buys. Tim Bradley, 700,000. Floyd-Vic almost did as much as Manny-JMM 3! :lol: . DLH-Manny did about half as many PPV buys as Mayweather-DLH did, and that's before Floyd really blew up. When they fought common opponents (Mosley, Cotto, Hatton, DLH), Floyd had better draws each time. Floyd is still undefeated, and he didn't just get KTFO. Sorry, but I gotta think if anyone deserves a bigger %, it's Floyd. BUT, I wouldn't say anymore than 55-45 or 60-40.

And I agree with Gunna. I'm not saying it's not impossible for Broner to be the next big thing, but I"m not banking on it. And I agree about Paulie. Paulie is terrible. I don't know what he's still doing boxing. I bought the Berto hype more than I did Broner. Broner is cool and all, but that shoulder-defense ain't nothing like Floyd's. I actually think guys like Maidana could pull an upset. For those that say they don't like Broner, it's because the fool tries way too hard.

the only folks keeping boxing alive in America are Blacks and Hispanics.

I wouldn't even go that far. Maybe it's just the blacks in my area, but I have a hard time finding anyone in my area who watching boxing regularly that's not Latino.

As for going overseas for fights, it's not surprising, because I'm sure the Klitschko's are making the most of their money, and they have no reason to fight in the US. None at all.

If Cotto can get that fire back, I wouldn't be surprised to see him hold his own against a guy ilke Canelo, especially since Canelo's still not shown he can go toe-to-toe for 12 rounds. As others have said, get some body-work out there, and he could do well. Overwhelming underdog, but still do well.

Guess who wants drug tests now? :lol:

PACQUIAO-RIOS TO UNDERGO RANDOM DRUG TESTS

By Ronnie Nathanielsz
PhilBoxing.com
Fri, 10 May 2013

For the first time, eight division world champion Manny Pacquiao has requested for random drug testing prior to his scheduled ring return against Brandon “Bam Bam” Rios at the Venetian Resort Hotel in Macau on November 24.

Pacquiao’s adviser Michael Koncz confirmed in an exclusive conversation with boxingscene.com that the Pacquiao camp had requested the US Anti Doping Agency or USADA to handle the drug testing protocol.

While Koncz gave no reason for the request one fact that has emerged is that controversial strength and conditioning coach Angel “Memo” Heredia who was known to have been involved in peddling performance enhancing drugs is now in the camp of Rios who is trained by Robert Garcia.

Prior to Pacquiao’s crushing 6th round knockout by Juan Manuel Marquez last December 8 that the Mexican showed off a previously unseen muscular body and demonstrated brutal power which was absent in his three previous fights with Pacquiao, rumors spread that Marquez was potentially using performance enhancing drugs.

Heredia himself denied in an interview with the Manila Standard that Marquez was on illegal drugs and that he himself was clean while Marquez insisted that his rigorous training program under Heredia was the reason for his muscular body and punching power.

Koncz sought to downplay the random drug tests as a result of Heredia working with Rios stating "We just want to give the fans a clean fight and avoid any type of speculation or accusations once this fight is done."

Pacquiao is taking the Rios fight very seriously and according to the ABS-CBN reporter in his hometown of General Santos City will train for three months which is longer than his usual 6 to 8 week preparation for a fight pointing out that Rios is “a good fighter and very aggressive and throws a lot of punches.”

Pacquiao said he would train in the Philippines although he said he hasn’t thought too much about the fight because of Monday’s elections in which wife Jinkee is running for vice governor of Sarangani province which Pacquiao represents in congress and is running unopposed while brother Rogelio is seeking a congressional seat in General Santos City.

I'd want the blood testing after i got my clock cleaned too
Prior to Pacquiao’s crushing 6th round knockout by Juan Manuel Marquez last December 8 that the Mexican showed off a previously unseen muscular body and demonstrated brutal power which was absent in his three previous fights with Pacquiao

good for manny. When he was winning every fight im sure he didn't care. But when he is fighting some one with power....better make sure he doesn't have an advantage

and i like Cotto :smh: why it got to be him... Miguel is a fighter man...i always appreciate the guy who doesn't back down and takes on everyone he can. But i fear for him against canelo...he is going to be bloody early.

Here is a thought.
This last PPV featured a fighter that is relatively unknown, no commercials, no marketing, no dancing with the stars, and I don't even know what channel CBS sports is to be honest.

Could this have been done intentionally? It would be a good way to get a baseline of how much the Mayweather name alone sells PPVs. That baseline would be used to determine how much marketing is needed for the remaining five fights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom