Official 2013 NBA Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so Dwight is dominant because he is peerless and far ahead of everybody at his position, despite his offensive limitations. I fail to see how that's impressive.

It's like lauding someone for getting B's because everybody in his class are getting F's.
never said it was.... I just stated that he is...that and I said working with akeem and McHale he ATLEAST has the opportunity to get better on the offensive end and as a overall player.

Then you had folks (seems like a lot of them are lakers fans) came out the woodworks saying he sucks, he is garbage, oh a cheap version of shawn kemp(baby mamas and all) he was scared to play in la. and that for Dwight, all his career can do is go downhill from here... And he pretty much is done for. And pretty much peg the dude as a failure and has no chance of learning/working to get better even before Dwight started training camp.

I don't get it , you spend all the money to buy and move a team , have players that want to win but don't want the financial cost of winning. Foolish. You win a chip you'll turn more of a profit but If your just competitive that'll grow old ( I.e braves, suns, and a slew of other teams that just make the playoffs and a run at that chip every once in a while) but it seems like we just beating a dead horse
well like the saying goes scared money don't make money... I mean I liked the sonics and hated to see them go...but I grew to like and enjoy the thunder and would hate to have them exit due to ownership mimicking the clippers/cubs etc....

What team were you a fan of before OKC got the Thunder?  Just curious because you sound entitled from a fanship perspective (I know that sounds like an insult, I don't mean it that way).  Was it the Lakers?  

edit: I mean you gotta ride with the good and the bad as a fan.  And what you have right now is definitely NOT the bad, so I'm not sure if you can handle it.
Nobody, but the Mavs a few yrs prior. Far from entitled and by no means am I saying we're in a "bad" situation now. Same time, I am just not falling for the whole "small market no money; sustainability" nonsense they like to preach and pretend like they're impoverished or something and got the whole city and fan community buying it.

Look at our roster right now. 436 rookies, and Jeremy Lamb thrust into the James Harden role after only playing 147 minutes as a rookie and we STILL have the worst center in NBA history guaranteed to start.

KD and Russ are so great they'll still win 58+ games and get to the WCFs at the least, but they deserve better. Imagine if you paired a Presti with a GM like Prokhorov (or city like NYC, LA, etc.) They just deserve better. There are other teams out there worst obviously, but not for lack of trying. I just feel like the front office is overly complacent and resting on the laurels of those 2.

We turned a 23 yr old all star SG still with 1 yr of rookie scale left into a 7 million tpe we probably won't use, a #12 draft pick which is Steven Adams, and Jeremy Lamb, oh and a Mavs pick that is top 20 protected until like the Rapture. Worst EVER might be strong, but it's bad. You have to wait a few yrs to see what those 2 will become and of course the Mavs pick who is somewhere in grade school right now, but that's a bad trade. Before I made that trade, I would have let them play the season out and him become an RFA and just match or trade him or anyone else during the season.
You mean Bennett.... not Presti, is gonna ask KD to take a pay cut right?
Kind of 1 in the same IMO. Once ownership tells Presti "no tax," he's hamstrung and that sets the foundation for everything he does thereafter.

I hope Bennett stays out of the basketball business now anyways, ever since his recommendation we trade Eric Bledsoe and Quincy Pondexter for Cole Aldrich and sign a veteran guard instead (ended up being Royal Ivey)

People are premature with all that losing the team ****, just because we might top out at 1 ring or a WCF berth before losing 1 of our stars. Teams have been worst, for longer, with worst attendance, in similar markets. Look up Indiana's attendance numbers for example. Even as they're borderline contenders, nobody comes.

They'll probably sell whenever citizenship stops tax payer funding everything and they have to come out of their own pockets. Wouldn't be shocked if soon they want to add seats to the arena since demand could easily support it.

Last edited:
The Celtics/Nets trade may be one of the most complicated in NBA history but is also a really good study in how a smart front office can use the CBA to their advantage. Everyone focused on the draft picks in this trade but it turns out that the way the Celtics have positioned themselves for next year's free agent class might be just as important. Here's a break-down of what exactly happened in this trade. How did the Celtics end up with a big trade exception? Why did D.J. White appear in the trade at the last minute? Read on to find out...

well like the saying goes scared money don't make money... I mean I liked the sonics and hated to see them go...but I grew to like and enjoy the thunder and would hate to have them exit due to ownership mimicking the clippers/cubs etc....

Yeah but it's simple to fix their problems, don't trade harden, ammy perk , when the money get tight trade those pieces , harden , ibaka, and if you have too Westbrook and keep durant until he wants out. But it ain't my team or money to make those suggestions but their Is a solution to the problem just owners trying to get that bottom line at the end of the day

For the Thunder it is the 1 iffy thing about KD. You wouldn't want to leave Russ. It's an unstoppable offense with like 75% of their career still in front of them.. Ibaka is still solid, has his issues, but he has so much upside because he's nearly all-star caliber but is still very raw talent .. The thing is, is that they have to surround that team around him and Russ.. Even if KD takes a max deal his first opportunity coming up, they'd have $12mil to go fill in assets. BUT if they are unwilling to fill in the roster around him, he might as well go.. How Perkins did not get amnestied to open up a lot of possibilities is the most baffling thing to me.

As for the Heat.. Amnestying Mike Miller saves them from the luxury but creates a problem for Lebron.. Wade is very unlikely to take a paycut.. And Bosh DEFINITELY won't opt out (2 year $42mil going to be tough to find for Bosh. That money number is much more than he'll get). The question is does Lebron see himself going forward with Wade.

Last edited:
Ok, so Dwight is dominant because he is peerless and far ahead of everybody at his position, despite his offensive limitations. I fail to see how that's impressive.

It's like lauding someone for getting B's because everybody in his class are getting F's.
never said it was.... I just stated that he is...that and I said working with akeem and McHale he ATLEAST has the opportunity to get better on the offensive end and as a overall player.

Then you had folks (seems like a lot of them are lakers fans) came out the woodworks saying he sucks, he is garbage, oh a cheap version of shawn kemp(baby mamas and all) he was scared to play in la. and that for Dwight, all his career can do is go downhill from here... And he pretty much is done for. And pretty much peg the dude as a failure and has no chance of learning/working to get better even before Dwight started training camp.

I don't think anyone in this thread is really dissing Dwight like that. They're just skeptical about him suddenly adding things to his game just because he's now in Houston. Why, because of Hakeem? He started in Orlando who had Ewing as an assistant coach for many years. He spent a whole year in LA, and Kareem was available to mentor but Dwight never asked. That's two hall of famers right there but Hakeem is going to be the one that makes that impact on Dwight?

I don't think anyone in the history of the game have added to their game like that because they have a new mentor. They've added to their game because they were just self-motivated to. Jordan added that fadeaway to his game because he was getting older and he knew that he needed some other way to keep dominating, not because somebody came along to show it to him. Kareem added the hook to his game becasue they took away his dunking in college and he self taught himself. A guy like Stephen Curry didn't get good at shooting because someone came along to show him how to shoot. He's that good because he shoots all the damn time by himself, etc. etc.

I doubt Dwight is that motivated. He spent a whole year in La and didn't approach Kareem once.

For the Thunder it is the 1 iffy thing about KD. You wouldn't want to leave Russ. It's an unstoppable offense with like 75% of their career still in front of them.. Ibaka is still solid, has his issues, but he has so much upside because he's nearly all-star caliber but is still very raw talent .. The thing is, is that they have to surround that team around him and Russ.. Even if KD takes a max deal his first opportunity coming up, they'd have $12mil to go fill in assets. BUT if they are unwilling to fill in the roster around him, he might as well go.. How Perkins did not get amnestied to open up a lot of possibilities is the most baffling thing to me.

As for the Heat.. Amnestying Mike Miller saves them from the luxury but creates a problem for Lebron.. Wade is very unlikely to take a paycut.. And Bosh DEFINITELY won't opt out. The question is does Lebron see himself going forward with Wade.
And this is why I think as well as many others think LeBron will leave. I could possibly see Wade taking a paycut if it meant LeBron is leaving....but then where could or where would LeBron go? He has that taste of chip now, so you know he aint going to a scrub team or a team trying to rebuild etc.... I mean Cleveland is a option I guess, And I know a team like Boston would in a position to get him. But would he want to play there?

I don't think anyone in this thread is really dissing Dwight like that. They're just skeptical about him suddenly adding things to his game just because he's now in Houston. Why, because of Hakeem? He started in Orlando who had Ewing as an assistant coach for many years. He spent a whole year in LA, and Kareem was available to mentor but Dwight never asked. That's two hall of famers right there but Hakeem is going to be the one that makes that impact on Dwight?

I don't think anyone in the history of the game have added to their game like that because they have a new mentor. They've added to their game because they were just self-motivated to. Jordan added that fadeaway to his game because he was getting older and he knew that he needed some other way to keep dominating, not because somebody came along to show it to him. Kareem added the hook to his game becasue they took away his dunking in college and he self taught himself. A guy like Stephen Curry didn't get good at shooting because someone came along to show him how to shoot. He's that good because he shoots all the damn time by himself, etc. etc.

I doubt Dwight is that motivated. He spent a whole year in La and didn't approach Kareem once.

Noah worked with Kareem didn't do much for him

oh but they were I was paraphrasing... As far as with ewing and Orlando, he said and admitted he didn't care, or wanted to/try to improve his inside game into like about a year or 2 before he left, and while not much he did improve slightly.

As far as with Kareem im not buying the whole he asked me and he just never got back to me...especially considering Dwight mentioned he wanted to midway through the season...and conveniently kareem didn't respond till after he left and Dwight mentions they didn't work with me, and Kareem was put on the spot and he came with, to me, a quick "on the fly" answer of oh yea he said but he never got back to me. 

Sounds like he was trying to save face on that one, and do the usually deflect my part and the role I played into a problem. I mean its not like its not in their nature to do so ala, if he stays he stays itll be great, if not we not mad no big deal, then turn around and place billboards all over the city with the words STAY DWIGHT. I mean for someone you like either or with, ppl don't tend to place 1,000 ft billboards and plaster them all throughout a city.

To say after 8/9 years its unheard of to seek help in an aspect of your game from another...or because a mentor is false. Lebron just did it what in his 9th year, didn't he finally after a decade reach out to Akeem, paid 50k to work on his post game. And while it isn't great, he didn't have the luxury Dwight has of working with him long term. And even still LeBron post game did get a significant better. Despite working with him for a limited time. So for ppl to say its never happened and is unheard of, LeBron just did it like last year is wrong.

So end of the day its the usually thing nt ppl like to do, basically speak with certainty about a player team... in order to gloat and say see, see I told you so.

The same was said with LeBron and the decision and especially after they lost that he would never win a chip, he will never be clutch...I told you ahahahaha etc...ala LeChoke etc...ala LeBrick, the Miami defeat so on and so forth. Then when they get proved wrong, they don't own up to it and be a man and admit they are wrong...instead they either say oh well such and such player still isn't better then such and such has more rings ala KOBE. Either that or they post lame arzz pics and gifs of said player.... and make personal jabs and jokes about said player unrelated to the game, in a attempt to save face. aka why the finals thread went on a month after it was over and it was filled with hate post and lame gifs.

But ive grown to get use to it...if it was any other way it wouldn't be NT. I just choose not to be apart of it. I rather instead wait and judge a player accordingly, instead of trying to be the "first one" or to be able to say oh see I told you.

Last edited:
And this is why I think as well as many others think LeBron will leave. I could possibly see Wade taking a paycut if it meant LeBron is leaving....but then where could or where would LeBron go? He has that taste of chip now, so you know he aint going to a scrub team or a team trying to rebuild etc.... I mean Cleveland is a option I guess, And I know a team like Boston would in a position to get him. But would he want to play there?

It's really only Cavs, Heat, Lakers.. No one else have put themselves in a position to make an actual run at him.

Lakers have put themselves into that position. But I think he'd only consider the Lakers if Kobe is taking a huge paycut.

Last edited:
nobody really wants to work with kareem for some reason. shaq, bynum, d12 :nerd:

The whole Lakers organization too until he cried about not getting a statue

never understood what happened between kareem and the lakers org. i know he wanted to get into coaching, but the lakers werent really helping from his point of view. his statue shouldve been erected a long time ago. i just hear that his personality rubs people the wrong way

It's really only Cavs, Heat, Lakers.. No one else have put themselves in a position to make an actual run at him.

Lakers have put themselves into that position. But I think he'd only consider the Lakers if Kobe is taking a huge paycut.

Welp, don't have to worry about him going there :lol:

Last edited:

the c's have sorta...if they release players (which they can) or give up draft picks, but even then I doubt seeing their current state would want to. Really outside the cavs and Miami, for financial reasons no one is in a position as far as being able to pay him, and realistically having a shot to be a winner to which he would wanna go.

The Celtics/Nets trade may be one of the most complicated in NBA history but is also a really good study in how a smart front office can use the CBA to their advantage. Everyone focused on the draft picks in this trade but it turns out that the way the Celtics have positioned themselves for next year's free agent class might be just as important. Here's a break-down of what exactly happened in this trade. How did the Celtics end up with a big trade exception? Why did D.J. White appear in the trade at the last minute? Read on to find out...

so in short, Danny Ainge is very smart?

whos gonna sign with Boston anyways? :lol:

and ill tell you now, they wont get the first pick no matter how bad they suck

Nah. Danny Ainge shoulda kept Pierce and KG for leadership amongst the new generation of Boston Celtics. I personally think the move wasn't well thought out. Yeah you got 9 first round draft picks but you'll more than likely be 8th seeded first round exits like the Atlanta Hawks for years to come unless one of those draft picks quickly develops. Also I don't care for Marshon, I don't want Keith Bogans in Boston but I do like Kris Humphries game. He's gonna rebound at a high clip and defensive toughness will be applauded by us Boston fans. I can see Boston stealing the 8th spot. And lose 4-1 to whomever is the no.1 seed in the East. Celtics roster isn't a "tanking" roster like y'all seem to make it. They can definitely make playoffs and maybe even 7th seed.

Boston is going to struggle with all new coaches and all new players. I have more faith in bottom dwellers like Washington and Cleveland getting in. Hell, even Detroit. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom