OFFICIAL 2014 Grammy Awards Thread 1/26

dudes taking racial shots at each other now? this thread has run it's course..
mean.gif
That's NT on the daily tho 
laugh.gif

Someone on the radio had a good comparison for Mackelmore...

They said he is not rap, and should be lumped in with LMFAO and whatever genre they fall in.

I think that is an accurate statement because they are more pop, but it is a pop-type rape that they have with it.

If you go "The Heist" album on the Google Play Store, related artists are:

Flo-rida, Black-Eyed Peas, Taio Cruz, Jason Derulo, Kesha...

They are categorized as "electro-rap" as well.
That literally means nothing at all. He sounds nothing like those artist in any way.

The problem with many people who like Hip Hop, is that they refuse to recognize **** that's different. All we have is this "real hip hop" complex, and anything different gets pushed to the side. To say that this dude isn't rap, and that he's pop rap is BS in my opinion. Dude is just rapping about stuff that somewhat goes against the grain.

That literally means nothing at all. He sounds nothing like those artist in any way.

The problem with many people who like Hip Hop, is that they refuse to recognize **** that's different. All we have is this "real hip hop" complex, and anything different gets pushed to the side. To say that this dude isn't rap, and that he's pop rap is BS in my opinion. Dude is just rapping about stuff that somewhat goes against the grain.
Just out of curiosity, what category do those people you bolded belong in to you? I just stated what comes up under related artists and it seems on point to me in terms of styles.

It more of a play on words because yes he does rap and you can't take that from him.
BUT
The question and debate I think it that he is not hip-hop.
The award is for rap album and not best hip-hop album though, so he is in the category.

Like have people said though...did people really expect the Grammy voters to give Kendrick those huge awards that he was up for? I was hoping that he would win a couple of them, but I figured AoTY was out. No way Mackelmore should have swept

Just make some new category like they have for R&B or something now that would be "Best contemporary rap album" or something :lol:

Just out of curiosity, what category do those people you bolded belong in to you? I just stated what comes up under related artists and it seems on point to me in terms of styles.

It more of a play on words because yes he does rap and you can't take that from him.
BUT
The question and debate I think it that he is not hip-hop.
The award is for rap album and not best hip-hop album though, so he is in the category.

Like have people said though...did people really expect the Grammy voters to give Kendrick those huge awards that he was up for? I was hoping that he would win a couple of them, but I figured AoTY was out. No way Mackelmore should have swept

Just make some new category like they have for R&B or something now that would be "Best contemporary rap album" or something
laugh.gif
Flo-rida, Black-Eyed Peas, Taio Cruz, Jason Derulo, Kesha are pure pop and I don't think Macklemore sounds like any of them at all or close.

I agree in the sense that he's not a traditional rapper, but he's still a rapper. Whether or not someone is "hip hop" just sounds ridiculous to me. Hip hop  needs variety.

We do recognize what's different, it's pop.

There aren't subgenres off hip hop/rap like you have with jazz or rock. There needs to be.

Do people think of Creed in the same way they think of Metallica?

So why are you so shocked when we do it in hip hop?

Flo-rida, Black-Eyed Peas, Taio Cruz, Jason Derulo, Kesha are pure pop and I don't think Macklemore sounds like any of them at all or close.

I agree in the sense that he's not a traditional rapper, but he's still a rapper. Whether or not someone is "hip hop" just sounds ridiculous to me. Hip hop  needs variety.
I feel you on that. I would at least give Flo-rida more a rap nod, but he drifted off into the party/club scene and is doing big numbers over there, so can't be mad at that.

Since Mackelmore was on BET, does that make people feel better about it? :lol:

We do recognize what's different, it's pop.

There aren't subgenres off hip hop/rap like you have with jazz or rock. There needs to be.

Do people think of Creed in the same way they think of Metallica?

So why are you so shocked when we do it in hip hop?
I don't agree with that at all. Like dude posted above, Flo-Rida is pop.

I kinda said that.

Creed is a rock band, Metallica are among the pioneers of a genre of music. Why would they be compared in the first place?

Last edited:
I almost spit this lemonade out at "contemporary rap album" :lol: but it makes sense. I mean, Ive always expected feigning acknowledgement from the Grammy's as far as rap goes anyway, but I think it's always been a problem that rap is often all lumped in with each other, yet other genres have sub categories. It seems like only predominantly rap listeners can separate stuff (which is sort of ironic). Casual listeners would have Macklemore, Gucci Mane, Murs, Fabolous, MF Doom, and NWA all in the same category. Is everybody a rapper? Of course. Do they make the same music? Hell no :lol:

Last edited:
I don't agree with just flat out saying he's pop. Like dude posted above, Flo-Rida is pop.

I kinda said that.

Creed is a rock band, Metallica are among the pioneers of a genre of music. Why would they be compared in the first place?

They're both rock, but you recognize their differences.

Because essentially that's what you're saying...you want to lump

Macklemore, Chief Keef, Common, Immortal Technique, Rick Ross, LL Cool J, Flo Rida and Kendrick Lamar all together

Why can't we recognize those differences?

Last edited:
They're both rock, but you recognize their differences.

Because essentially that's what you're saying...you want to lump

Macklemore, Chief Keef, Common, Immortal Technique, Rick Ross, LL Cool J, Flo Rida and Kendrick Lamar all together

Why can't we recognize those differences?
I said most people that listen to hip hop doesn't recognize different type of rappers and push them to the side, while you responded and said that we do, it's called pop, and that's BS. Just because it's different doesn't mean it's pop. I'm not lumping anyone together, the person who I responded to threw out a claim that dude isn't real rap  and I just responded that although he's not a traditional rapper in the sense, he's still a rapper. I'm all for labeling different type of rappers because it's needed. It's ridiculous to have people put under the same umbrella, but just because this dude may not be recognized as "real hip hop" doesn't mean it's pop.

I said he is a rapper, but the issue was people don't consider him hip-hop, and that the award was for rap album not hip-hop. I said he a "pop rapper" in a sense, not that he was pop. Pop is more Miley, Backstreet Boys, 'NSync and that stuff, and you are right, he is nowhere near close to being them. But like they are saying, should Mackelmore be in the same group with Jay-Z, Kendrick, Drake, Kanye, J.Cole, etc?

They could have various rap/hip-hop categories (club, street, ballad, remix, group, duo, etc), but then I am guessing you could say that is what the hip-hop award shows are for also.

And I'm saying I'm for the labeling, but I just don't think he should be grouped into one associated with pop. When I think of a pop rapper, I think of Flo-Rida, and Nelly after he got big. If anything, I'd put him in a alternative hip hop label like they do with rock.

But I'm just going to leave it alone, because I'm making myself look like I'm a big fan of dude when I haven't even really sat down to listen to him. I'm simply just not understanding all the hate, but yeah, I'm just gonna let it go.

:lol:

All good man. Nothing wrong with a good convo. I am sure the majority have not listened to that much of him either.

I bet you are the exception, all these people complaining, probably less than half people actually purchased a copy.

Grammys had never been a good representative for best Rap Albums

Need to let it go

I bought 3 copies. So what's your point? He still had a better RAP album period. Dude put out a great project last year.

http://www.fsunews.com/article/2014...Rap-problem-Why-Kendrick-Lamar-s-snub-matters

sorry if that's been posted a million times.

I've come to the conclusion that they decided to not give Kendrick any Grammy's for no other reason than he won the entire show which includes everyone's awards.  That performance? Wow.  Kendrick Lamar ft. Imagine Dragons.

Everyone has already pegged Kendrick Lamar as this generation’s Nas. I hope that’s not true. Because Nas never rose beyond rap, he never became a cultural icon like Jay Z has. Hip hop needs more of those, especially ones with important perspectives like Kendrick does. He can evolve into not just a rap god, but a musical icon if he continues down his current path. Maybe then the Grammy’s will recognize him.

JAY Z WON. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom