OFFICIAL 2015-2016 College Football Season Thread

1. Wisconsin has three losses. To Alabama, Iowa, and Northwestern (who beat Stanford who beat us twice.)

2. Wisconsin has an elite defense.

3. The Cal and Arizona games weren't close. Don't let the final score fool you. We started off slow in both games, but neither of those teams ever controlled those games. Colorado, I admit looked like they had us for a while and Sefo's injury may have been a difference maker, but their backup came in and went 6/8 for 94 yards, so it's not like they had any drop off in QB play. So I really don't see the "we're lucky there were QB injuries in two of those games" argument.

4. Helton comes from a spread principled background. The reason the offense looks like this is because the majority of USC alums and fans WANT it to be. 2 yards and a cloud of dust is the pro style USC way. "Student body right" is the way.

5. RJ3 can't catch and can't pass block to save his life. There's a reason he's not the starter. He's electric with the ball in his hands, sure, but whenever he's on the field the defense knows we're running it because he can't do anything else yet.

6. To say this is the worst group of linebackers you've seen is... wow. This year might be the best linebacker play we've gotten since Rey, Brian, and Clay were here. Cam Smith is really good.

7. What recruits are we going to lose...? 1/3 of the class are early entries and will be on campus in a week. We JUST got a commit from the best player in California. The people still on the board aren't going to be swayed one way or another by a 2 point loss. As is, we have the #10 composite class. This is nothing like when the class fell apart before signing day 2013 (and we still finished #12.)

8. And Haden didn't wait because the program needs continuity, the current players and alums wanted continuity and specifically, Helton, and because you can't destroy and rebuild every time your team loses to an unranked team.

There's also the fact that Chip didn't want to come, JDR didn't want to come this year, we weren't allowed to talk to Hue, and Harbaugh couldn't make up his mind.

Unless you wanted them to bring in Gary Patterson or Tom Herman, I don't see who this amazing home run hire of a coach they would have gotten by waiting is.

Also factor in that BY waiting THEN the recruiting class would have started to fall apart.

USC has one sub 8 win season in 16 years. They won 10 games and the division DURING the death penalty.

Relax.
1. Yes, but imagine if they didn't miraculous miss OSU, MSU, and Michigan? Now where would they be?

2. See above. ELITE?!?!? Come on man. Good? Yes. I like that DC. WOUld prefer him over Clancy Pendergast. But Elite?
roll.gif
Its all coaching son

3. The Cal game, yes. But the AZ game was extremely close. we had to scratch and claw our way back from being down 14 and needed 21 points in the 4th to win.

4. Does this make it right? Yeah, lets do completely opposite of how everyone plays football and hope its successful!!
roll.gif

5. If you really can;t see RJ3 is special, we should probably not have a debate. I';m baffled.

6. YES, WORST LB GROUP I'VE SEEN IN AT LEAST 15 years. One guy doesn't make the group.

7. We will lose recruits. This will be the lowest ranked group since before Pete came. We're not an attractive program right now, sorry. And we're installing a 2 yards and a cloud of dust system? Thats going to entice kids, the same kids who go to college thinking they are going pro?

8. EXACTLY why it was an awful hire. You don't make the most important decision for this program in 10 years by doing it because you want continuity.

See this is my problem with 97% of Trojan nation. Anything they do sits well with you guys. I'm the opposite. I don't cheer any decision we make because I'm supposed. I dish criticism when its warranted, and clap when its warranted.

This hire, and the opinions of many Trojan faithful, proves how arrogant this program is. Its the 3rd consecutive hire where the program things anybody could step in and coach and be successful. Its time to stop that thinking.

I will revisit with you when things blow up in a year and say I TOLD YOU SO. He will not make it out past 2 years.
Look man. In response to half of your questions, there's quantifiable proof that you're misguided.

Statistically, this was one of the better defensive teams USC has had since Pete left. I don't see how it's the worst in 15 years when the production from the position is better than most of the years you can point to in the past. Almost all of our game changing plays on defense came from the linebacking group. It's easy to throw out a statement like "worst in ____ years" but actually go look at the numbers.

Ronald Jones is fast and has gamebreaking ability when running the ball yes. It is also a FACT that he can't catch and can't block for ****. A FACT. He's a complete liability in the passing game. If you can't realize that then there's no point discussing it with you. You don't know what you're talking about.

Just out of curiosity, tell me, what's USC's average recruiting class ranking been?

Again it's easy for you to throw out vague doomsaying statements like "this will be the worst recruiting class ever since pete left" but what does that even mean? People who don't understand recruiting say things like that.

I'm not trying to turn against another SC fan and I understand the importance of letting you vent - I want to see wins too - but you need to have perspective and actually know what you're talking about if you're going to complain.

And Kessler is a lot better than you guys are trying to claim. I won't let this @ooIRON MANoo witchhunt go on any further. Show respect to a top 10 ever Trojan QB
laugh.gif

And I'm of the opinion that Wisconsin is the 4th best team in the Big10. Quietly have been all year but was hoping for a UW v. UM CCG to say it.

Look man. In response to half of your questions, there's quantifiable proof that you're misguided.

Statistically, this was one of the better defensive teams USC has had since Pete left. I don't see how it's the worst in 15 years when the production from the position is better than most of the years you can point to in the past. Almost all of our game changing plays on defense came from the linebacking group. It's easy to throw out a statement like "worst in ____ years" but actually go look at the numbers.

Ronald Jones is fast and has gamebreaking ability when running the ball yes. It is also a FACT that he can't catch and can't block for ****. A FACT. He's a complete liability in the passing game. If you can't realize that then there's no point discussing it with you. You don't know what you're talking about.

Just out of curiosity, tell me, what's USC's average recruiting class ranking been?

Again it's easy for you to throw out vague doomsaying statements like "this will be the worst recruiting class ever since pete left" but what does that even mean? People who don't understand recruiting say things like that.

I'm not trying to turn against another SC fan and I understand the importance of letting you vent - I want to see wins too - but you need to have perspective and actually know what you're talking about if you're going to complain.

And Kessler is a lot better than you guys are trying to claim. I won't let this @ooIRON MANoo
witchhunt go on any further. Show respect to a top 10 ever Trojan QB :lol:

View media item 1850273

Watching this FSU/Houston game just proves so much to me about coaches getting the appropriate gigs.

Herman, a really important piece to OSU and it really showed how much they missed him this year, gets Houston as his first head coaching gig. Appropriate for him, but a stepping stone to his next big job down the road. He'll surely be sought after next year. Another guy I would have loved to have at USC.

Fuente, turns Memphis into a decent program this year with possibly the #1 pick in the draft, gets Virginia Tech as his next job. Solid program, but probably a stepping stone if proves his abilities there.

Kirby Smart - his credentials say it all. Gets a job with his alma mater. A little too big for him? Some may say. But understandable why he would get that job as his first HC gig. Hopefully its not Muschamp 2.0. But I don't think he'll make the same mistakes.

Helton - where do we start. 5+ years at USC with the last 3 as OC, but not given play calling duties until this year, by default essentially because the HC couldn't handle both duties.

Lets give him the keys to the program because he's got great integrity. I can already envision Helton holding his head high and handling his dismissal with the utmost respect for the program.

Counting down the days until he's out and coaching tight ends for whatever program Lane Kiffin is at.

Going to be turbulent for the next couple of years. Hoping to see 8 wins next year. At least give me a trip to the Las Vegas Bowl so i can enjoy myself

Last edited:
He is in the SEC though. As an A&M fan, how can you expect much in that conference? I think what you're seeing is about what I would expect. Its a 9 win program with a chance to win 10 games. Just like the current state of USC.

Sumlin could have done some damage here in Southern California. i've always begged for a black head coach.

Man the day USC hires a black coach, the day they gon get some alumni dollars. I don't think the alumni base will ever be comfortable with that or a black starting QB unfortunately

Man the day USC hires a black coach, the day they gon get some alumni dollars. I don't think the alumni base will ever be comfortable with that or a black starting QB unfortunately

I won't disagree, unfortunately. Sad.

There was a point this year where Mike Tomlin's name was mentioned (ridiculous, I know). But dammit, I admit, the thought of him recruiting and coaching at USC get me a semi.

His goofy *** [emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji]

Back
Top Bottom