OFFICIAL 2015-2016 College Football Season Thread

I won't disagree, unfortunately. Sad.

There was a point this year where Mike Tomlin's name was mentioned (ridiculous, I know). But dammit, I admit, the thought of him recruiting and coaching at USC get me a semi.

It just reminds of us how much progress or lack there of is happening in college football. You can count on hand how many black coaches get a second shot at another Power 5 school. But the major traditional football schools still haven't had a major non-white hire outside of Notre Dame with Ty Willingham?

Man the day USC hires a black coach, the day they gon get some alumni dollars. I don't think the alumni base will ever be comfortable with that or a black starting QB unfortunately

I won't disagree, unfortunately. Sad.

There was a point this year where Mike Tomlin's name was mentioned (ridiculous, I know). But dammit, I admit, the thought of him recruiting and coaching at USC get me a semi.

Tomlin was never a consideration or option. Herman was though. Would you have been happy with him?

Serious question. He's who I wanted.

Tomlin was never a consideration or option. Herman was though. Would you have been happy with him?

I know Tomlin wasn't. Remember reading it and laughing out loud. Like he wouldn't be snatched up by another pro team in a heart beat? It was a pipe dream.

I was intrigued with Herman. I can admit, i only knew of him at OSU. Didn't give him as much credit as he should have deserved because OSU was stacked with talent. But watching OSUs offense this year, essentially the same one from last year, you can see he was missing.

Began watching some Houston games once his name was mentioned, and I was impressed. I would have probably felt he didn't deserve the job this year. But would have been much happier with him than Helton. I would have been happier with a bag of basketballs over Helton, to be honest. I don't see anything special out of him with the exception of him being a swell gentlemen and running a system that suits 1995 Big 10 football very well.

My guy was Chip Kelly followed by Kyle Whittingham.

Look, had USC waited till today to make their decision, which would have included kicking Chip Kelly's tires (i know for a fact they didn't), and after getting passed over by everyone they went after, eventually settling on Helton, I would have been able to accept it. They had ZERO business taking the interim title off Helton. He wasn't going anywhere. And he would have been a professional about it, and handled it better than Coach O did. Nobody can say Helton would have been picked if they waited until today. NOBODY.

Its apparent USC isn't playing for NCAA championships with this hire. You can't tell me that. Just tell me we're looking to right the program from the stench of what Kiffin and Sark left behind and win 9 games a season with this hire, and I'll live with it.

Boykin :smh: Already had an uncertain future at QB in the NFL and this would have been his last chance to prove something. I don't think he's good enough at WR either, might be CFL-bound like Tajh Boyd.

I know Tomlin wasn't. Remember reading it and laughing out loud. Like he wouldn't be snatched up by another pro team in a heart beat? It was a pipe dream.

I was intrigued with Herman. I can admit, i only knew of him at OSU. Didn't give him as much credit as he should have deserved because OSU was stacked with talent. But watching OSUs offense this year, essentially the same one from last year, you can see he was missing.

Began watching some Houston games once his name was mentioned, and I was impressed. I would have probably felt he didn't deserve the job this year. But would have been much happier with him than Helton. I would have been happier with a bag of basketballs over Helton, to be honest. I don't see anything special out of him with the exception of him being a swell gentlemen and running a system that suits 1995 Big 10 football very well.

My guy was Chip Kelly followed by Kyle Whittingham.

Look, had USC waited till today to make their decision, which would have included kicking Chip Kelly's tires (i know for a fact they didn't), and after getting passed over by everyone they went after, eventually settling on Helton, I would have been able to accept it. They had ZERO business taking the interim title off Helton. He wasn't going anywhere. And he would have been a professional about it, and handled it better than Coach O did. Nobody can say Helton would have been picked if they waited until today. NOBODY.

Its apparent USC isn't playing for NCAA championships with this hire. You can't tell me that. Just tell me we're looking to right the program from the stench of what Kiffin and Sark left behind and win 9 games a season with this hire, and I'll live with it.
Whittingham is horribly overrated. And they did kick Kelly's tires. That for a fact I can vouch. Didn't offer him anything, but did speak to him. I can also vouch for the fact that the people who spoke to him came away from the conversation feeling "He's not leaving the NFL, even if he gets fired."

Kelly hated coaching in college. He refuses to rub elbows with boosters and hated recruiting. It's a large part of the reason he ended up getting in trouble for paying people outside the program to just do it for him. Another red flag for a program coming off a death penalty. He would have been miserable at USC and the people paying him would have hated him.

I would have taken him in a heart beat and hired and fired Sark all over again if it was a realistic option but it wasn't. We had Herman (realistic) Whittingham (realistic but eww) Hue Jackson (after their playoff run) and Harbaugh (undecided) as options. Haden pulled a Haden, but I think Helton is a much better coach than people want to acknowledge. Is he head coach of USC good? No. I think he's every bit as good as Kirby Smart and some of the others right now, and I didn't want them in 2016, but he's our HC at this point so let's hope it all works out to multiple double figure win seasons.

Back
Top Bottom