Official 2016-2017 NBA Season Thread - NBA rules Chris Bosh has a career ending injury

Who is the MVP?

• Russell Westbrook

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kawhi Leonard

• James Harden

• Lebron James

• Kevin Durant

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kobe had a sit down and talked about stuff

We are sitting on top of a Mesoamerican muralist painting of a clock basically being orbited by specters of past versions of yourself, with past versions of your shoe. I got to ask, because I feel like the setting’s begging for it: What’s your relationship with death?

A comfortable one

Yeah?

It’s a comfortable one. It’s an understanding. You can’t have life without death. Can’t have light without the dark. So it’s an acceptance of that. When it came time to decide whether or not I should retire, [it was] really an acceptance of that mortality that all athletes face. And if you combat it, you’ll always have that inner struggle within yourself. … So … I’m comfortable with it.

In The Wall Street Journal, you said that you’d been planning this phase as early as three years back. What was the moment that made you decide to start planning?

Well, the injury. When I injured my Achilles, then it became something where it’s, OK, this is immediate, right? The end of my career could be now. So since I was 21 years old and thinking, OK, I have to figure out what comes next. You kind of brainstorm, you ideate, but you never really execute anything. And when the injury happened, I said, “OK, no, I need to start building now.” And that’s when the turning point was for me.

What does a turning point feel like? If you have something that’s been a part of you for two decades, it’s kind of like a part of yourself dies, obviously, with where we’re sitting.

It’s exciting.

It’s exciting?

It is exciting, because it’s the process of starting anew. When I’m sitting there and I have the Achilles injury, it’s one thing to sit there and try to block out the frustrations of being injured, because that’s … You’re constantly tugging with that, right, as opposed to simply replacing that with a new challenge. Something that gets you excited. So now you’re not focused on not being depressed. You’re focused on the excitement of building something new. And so, it was extremely exciting, having to figure something out.

It’s like trying to find a new version of yourself.

Yes. And build it from the ground up.

Of course. Well you said, in the earlier Q&A [at the Nike event] that you now no longer have to obsess over the Russell Westbrooks and Kawhi Leonards of the world. But being that you used to get up at 3 a.m. to shoot thousands of jump shots, what do you obsess over now?

Storytelling for me is the no. 1 thing. It’s writing. It’s outlining. It’s creating narratives that can inspire the next generation of athletes. What are those things? And not from merely a documentary perspective, but from a fantasy perspective, from a mythology perspective. What are those stories that we can use to teach the next generation of athletes? Not just about the sport, but teach them about life through sport. How do we make those connections? That’s what I obsess over every single day.

What is your favorite type of mythology?

Well, I grew up studying Greek mythology at a very early age, which is kind of weird. At the age of 10, in Italy, our class actually had to read Iliad in Latin and be able to recite verses from The Iliad. You don’t realize how strange that is at 10 until you come back to the states, and you’re like, wait, nobody knows this? This is strange.

https://theringer.com/kobe-bryant-lakers-interview-retirement-shoes-death-36f099f28196#.qvuauxnwk

I like what Pau has brought to the Spurs so far this season

View media item 2162822

tumblr_ma5xw0CaVs1qle2gr.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom