OFFICIAL 2019 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

They're most likely stuck with Malzahn for at least two more seasons after that deal they gave him. Think his buyout is still like $16MM after 2021 or something crazy like that.

Edit: found it.
He's owed 75% of his remaining contract if they fire him without cause. It would be $32.1M after this season.

That number doesn't come down to $16M until after the 2021 season.

They're most likely stuck with Malzahn for at least two more seasons after that deal they gave him. Think his buyout is still like $16MM after 2021 or something crazy like that.

Edit: found it.

They better get ready for a lot of transfers and decomitting...just waiting for owen pappoe to flip

Laughing at that OL talking about leaving after this season if they get NFL grades though. Guess we don't really see grades much throughout the season, but how many of them are really playing at a draftworthy level right now?

And Stidham is like that QB from Draft Day...questions about who was invited to his birthday party and why, but the measurables and tools are gonna be too much for a GM to pass up on Day 1 of the draft.

from 247 auburn site board operator Brandon Marcello.

I was going to save some of this for 3 things I know, 3 things I think on Wednesday, but why wait?

Below are a few items I'm hearing from inside the locker room and others close to the program. If you don't want to hear some bad news, look away. I'm not hearing a lot of positive things inside the locker room, so click away if you'd rather go along your day without hearing what players are thinking in private.

- There is animosity in the locker room. Some defensive players have not been fans of Jarrett Stidham for nearly a year, and while that's not affecting play, obviously, the locker room features a lot of quiet corners, if that makes sense. Some players are playing for themselves, though the defense has managed to come together unit by unit, and are held together by Deshaun Davis and Marlon Davidson. The offense isn't the only unit with issues with chemistry, so I want to make that clear, and so did one of my sources.

- Chip Lindsey calls the plays and they're filtered through Gus Malzahn. Simple. Players know it and they think it's strange, leading to some unfavorable opinions of the head coach among players on both sides of the ball.

- Right or wrong, some players don't like Jarrett Stidham's happy, go-lucky attitude. He was smiling wide and skipping around outside the locker room after the game, prompting some parents and players to shake their head and grumble. Stidham is disconnected from the team, save for a few close friends, and a lot of the defensive players are not happy with him, his performances and his attitude. He shows leadership on game days, but the players don't see a killer instinct and his words ring hollow to several offensive players, and it's bothering the defensive players from afar.

- Several players are discussing departures after this season. Malzahn is being criticized privately by a handful of players inside the locker room, which isn't uncommon for any program, but the whispers are audible grumbles this season -- and have been for most of the year.

- Several receivers are frustrated with Stidham. Several offensive linemen want to leave if they believe they can be drafted in the middle rounds of the NFL Draft, but inserting my own opinion here, who exactly is going to be drafted from that offensive line?

- Simply put, there's dissension, albeit quiet, but it's growing and it's clouding the thoughts and actions of players at practice and on game days. There's not a player on offense everyone turns to for guidance, and while the offensive line has been an absolute mess, Stidham has done himself no favors in the eyes of the players.

- Malzahn is unaware of these opinions in his own locker room.

Again, that's what's happening in the locker room. I'm just sharing what I've been told by several people. I'm not taking sides and I'm certainly not altering what is being told to me.

My thoughts:

- I'll be surprised if Chip Lindsey doesn't look for a way out after this season.

- Several players will leave the program if something drastic doesn't change with the atmosphere of the program.

- Accountability is an issue. There needs to be more action rather than talk, in the locker room and in the coaches' offices. If anything, there probably actually needs to be an airing of grievances among coaches and players in a team meeting. What's happening now is not constructive and is bordering on cancerous.

Auburn is weird. It's either they love Gus or they want to fire him. 9 months ago they gave him a 7-year extension for Christ's sake, I thought that would buy him some time before they want to fire him again.

Their primary issue as a fanbase is that they have the worst case of little brother syndrome in sports. They're cross-state rival is in the midst of the greatest run in the history of college football and they feel inadequate. That's why they've been running off coach for such a long time and why they're so hot and cold about Gus.

I will criticize Gus on his inability to adjust though. It's true their offensive line is garbage but a bad offensive line can be game planned around by a good coaching staff. Gus refuses to make any changes and wonders why is offense can't even put up 20 pts.

I don't understand why they don't use their running quarterbacks more. It's obvious that their offense can't move the ball and their offensive line is garbage. Why not come up with packages 4 they're running quarterbacks and use them in a similar fashion to the way UGA uses Fields. It's obvious that Gus doesn't know how to utilize a prototypical, NFL drop back quarterback.

Anyway, I'm here for the drama. I'm looking for Georgia to poach a handful of Auburn's recruits.

Laughing at that OL talking about leaving after this season if they get NFL grades though. Guess we don't really see grades much throughout the season, but how many of them are really playing at a draftworthy level right now?

And Stidham is like that QB from Draft Day...questions about who was invited to his birthday party and why, but the measurables and tools are gonna be too much for a GM to pass up on Day 1 of the draft.

It's weird. it's almost like he's a completely different player from last season. He's missing on long and short throws and he straight up making poor reads.

Not to mention, he has one of the worst cases of Happy Feet I've ever seen inappropriate aspect. The moment he feels any type of pressure you can guarantee he's going to make a bad decision or miss a pass. At this stage, I can see him coming back for his senior year because he's hurt his draft stock so much

That's the Faalele (sp?) kid from IMG?

Yep

BC498D3A-7E69-4984-911B-37F2E85D4BF1.jpeg

Lewis Cine commits to the G

there was a lot of consternation within the Georgia fan base about the 3 deommitments last week. Two of the decommitments were expected and mutual, the only one that really hurts and took me by surprise was the Hazelwood decommitment.

At the end of the day, it comes down to numbers. Georgia's class this year won't be as big as it was last year so in order to make space for more big targets we had to let some other guys go. It sucks but that's just the recruiting business.

To put things in context, over the course of the 2018 recruiting cycle, Georgia had a total of 8 decommitments. Some we're mutual, some got flipped to other schools and somewhere to make space for bigger targets. I foresee the same thing happening this cycle for us as well.

Stanford is 124th in the country in total rushing yards and yards per rush attempt (3.1), and 127th in rushing yards per game (85.7). On defense they're 63rd in rush yards yielded per attempt and 7th in rushing yards allowed per game with 164.3. In fact, they've only had 100 yards rushing twice this season: against USC and UC Davis.

Maybe it's time to let go of the "Stanford is a tough-nose, smash-mouth" team and start admitting that they're best offense for some time now has come out of the spread and passing the ball, no matter how much David Shaw's stubborn playcalling and message board narratives would have you believe.

Also, is there any question now that Bryce Love coming back for his senior season was a disastrous mistake on his part?

Stanford is 124th in the country in total rushing yards and yards per rush attempt (3.1), and 127th in rushing yards per game (85.7). On defense they're 63rd in rush yards yielded per attempt and 7th in rushing yards allowed per game with 164.3. In fact, they've only had 100 yards rushing twice this season: against USC and UC Davis.

Maybe it's time to let go of the "Stanford is a tough-nose, smash-mouth" team and start admitting that they're best offense for some time now has come out of the spread and passing the ball, no matter how much David Shaw's stubborn playcalling and message board narratives would have you believe.

Maybe this year, yeah, but I don't think a bad year completely changes their identity.

Also, is there any question now that Bryce Love coming back for his senior season was a disastrous mistake on his part?

I don't know if I would use the word disastrous, but it hasn't worked out from a football standpoint. I'm not sure where his draft stock was last season and I don't know how much that changes after this season either.

It was never going to be a good decision football wise regardless but it never seemed like that was the major factor in the decision that he made

Bubba Bolden is looking at UNLV and tO$U :lol:

The 2017 Bishop Gorman class may not have a single kid at their original school after 2 years:

Bubba Bolden 4* - transfer
Tyjon Lindsay 4* transfer
Alex Perry 4* - transfer
Tate Martell 4* - possible transfer
Haskell Garrett 4* - possible transfer

They should all just go rejoin their HS coach at UNLV and dominate the MWC.

How high would Love had gone had he declared? I never believed the top 100 stuff because there is really isn't a place for 5'9" 200 pound back in today's league who can't catch and can't block.

I understood the decision if he was going to work on that part of the game, and Stanford was going to make it a point to feature him in the passing game as more than a screen guy, but that doesn't really seem to be case at this point. He's already matched what he had as a receiver last year but that isn't saying much since he only had 6 receptions for 33 yards last season.

Bubba Bolden is looking at UNLV and tO$U :lol:

The 2017 Bishop Gorman class may not have a single kid at their original school after 2 years:

Bubba Bolden 4* - transfer
Tyjon Lindsay 4* transfer
Alex Perry 4* - transfer
Tate Martell 4* - possible transfer
Haskell Garrett 4* - possible transfer

They should all just go rejoin their HS coach at UNLV and dominate the MWC.

Bolden can go somewhere else, he had his chance

Back
Top Bottom