Official 2019 Boxing Thread: 12/28 - Davis vs. Gamboa, Pascal vs. Jack SHO

Who will be the winner of the Kovalev vs. Canelo fight?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If Canelo vs Kovalev does come to fruition, what will be the rehydration clause? It was 170 for Danny Jacobs.

185 I'd assume, it shouldn't be a big deal tho because Kov doesn't rehydrate into the 190's on fight night http://basementgymboxing.blogspot.com/2015/01/what-do-light-heavyweights-rehydrate-to.html

The bigger issue is the actual weight, and it sounds like the offers GB sent to ME about the fight were all at 175. The money was the reason it didn't happen in September, GB didn't come up with it until Kov and ME were locked in with the Russians.

185 I'd assume, it shouldn't be a big deal tho because Kov doesn't rehydrate into the 190's on fight night http://basementgymboxing.blogspot.com/2015/01/what-do-light-heavyweights-rehydrate-to.html

The bigger issue is the actual weight, and it sounds like the offers GB sent to ME about the fight were all at 175. The money was the reason it didn't happen in September, GB didn't come up with it until Kov and ME were locked in with the Russians.
185 is too generous. Canelo and GB are going to pick a weight that will drain Kovalev and Kovalev will have no choice but to concede to it.

185 is too generous. Canelo and GB are going to pick a weight that will drain Kovalev and Kovalev will have no choice but to concede to it.

Couldn’t they have already tried that tho with the actual weight?

Kov and ME do have some leverage in the sense that Canelo has only a finite amount opponents he can fight, and Kov is the only one DAZN has offered to help make work from a monetary perspective with no strings attached.

An Andrade fight would probably be more expensive for GB and Canelo, unless they sign an agreement to fight GGG next May.

Couldn’t they have already tried that tho with the actual weight?

Kov and ME do have some leverage in the sense that Canelo has only a finite amount opponents he can fight, and Kov is the only one DAZN has offered to help make work from a monetary perspective with no strings attached.

An Andrade fight would probably be more expensive for GB and Canelo, unless they sign an agreement to fight GGG next May.

The optics aren't as bad if there is a rehydration clause rather than a catchweight. The public who do not follow boxing as closely wouldn't even know. But Canelo is licking his chops after he saw basically an amateur nearly stop Kovalev by landing 20-something body shots. However, I would be shocked if Canelo does not impose an unreasonable rehydration clause to get a leg up.

If it's the second, Kov might be better of just doing the old school 4 week camp.

There's no rust to wear off, and as long as he's not wilding out with the booze, he should be close to weight.

I view this fight happening as wack.

Canelo not taking a challenge he taken Yarde leftovers.

The fight is dumb bc where does Canelo go from here after this. The best division is right below him why chase a weight class you not gonna be able to sustain.

Canelo mad at ggg saying he on roids. But wants to give this man 0 to no time to recover after a fight that was almost as taxing as the Ward fights

Buddy messing up his own legacy. Way to young to be pulling the Roy Jones playbook out

He not even top 2 on anyone's p4p list right now

I view this fight happening as wack.

Canelo not taking a challenge he taken Yarde leftovers.

The fight is dumb bc where does Canelo go from here after this. The best division is right below him why chase a weight class you not gonna be able to sustain.

Canelo mad at ggg saying he on roids. But wants to give this man 0 to no time to recover after a fight that was almost as taxing as the Ward fights

Buddy messing up his own legacy. Way to young to be pulling the Roy Jones playbook out

He not even top 2 on anyone's p4p list right now
I feel the same way, which is why I was hoping Yarde would win even though I didn't think it was likely. Canelo wouldn't even fight a top 168 lber.

People are underestimating the size difference the same way they did with Mikey and Spence. Weight classes exist for a reason, Manny was an anomaly.

There is no "Andre Ward blueprint" for Canelo. He's a 5'7 MW moving up to fight a 6'0 LHW with arguably still the best jab in the sport.

I'm intrigued by this fight because unlike Mikey, Canelo doesn't need the money. He must clearly "see something" that just not dollar signs, but idk because everything on paper says he should get KO'd unless they are planning on severely weight draining Kov.

I do agree tho that there is a potential Canelo Roy Jones' himself with the weight jumping unless he plans on staying at 168 after this win or lose.

People are underestimating the size difference the same way they did with Mikey and Spence. Weight classes exist for a reason, Manny was an anomaly.

There is no "Andre Ward blueprint" for Canelo. He's a 5'7 MW moving up to fight a 6'0 LHW with arguably still the best jab in the sport.

I'm intrigued by this fight because unlike Mikey, Canelo doesn't need the money. He must clearly "see something" that just not dollar signs, but idk because everything on paper says he should get KO'd unless they are planning on severely weight draining Kov.

I do agree tho that there is a potential Canelo Roy Jones' himself with the weight jumping unless he plans on staying at 168 after this win or lose.
Based on what I saw this past weekend, I think Kovalev is on his last leg. Yarde only turned it up for one round and was a combination away from stopping Kovalev. Yarde is just a physically gifted amateur with a motivational speaker disguised as a trainer.

Canelo has fought a few 6 footers (Chavez Jr, Jacobs, Fielding), so he knows how to deal with the height difference. Those guys aren't Kovalev. But Kovalev at this stage with a few pounds drained is very vulnerable.

They're definitely going after sergey at the right time in his career. This wouldnt even be a spoken about in 2016

They're definitely going after sergey at the right time in his career. This wouldnt even be a spoken about in 2016

Agree. Kov is on his last legs and if Kov is smart he takes this fight ASAP for a big payday and then bows out.

In 2016 Kov wins this and Canelo doesnt even think about taking a fight like this.

Nothing to underestimate, this is a different fight if it happens early next year. And much less slander coming from me.

The fight with Yarde literally just happened. Most fighters need 3-4 week recovery process of doing nothing, then you want him to go right back into training 5 weeks from the fight? To fight a guy who has been sitting and relaxing since May.

Let's call it what it is, if Kov is on his last leg why pursue it right after a punishing fight. Let the man recover get some time off like most boxers in this era then make the fight happen.

Your crazy if you think Kovalev will be ready in such a short period of time. And your crazy if you dont think he is hesitant because of the money and the fact he has been killed by bad promotion and deals during his time on top. Kov is one of the travesty's in boxing because of how he was taken advantage of by his management team

Lastly, Im not blasting this fight if the Yarde fight doesnt happen and Canelo is set in November.

Based on what I saw this past weekend, I think Kovalev is on his last leg. Yarde only turned it up for one round and was a combination away from stopping Kovalev. Yarde is just a physically gifted amateur with a motivational speaker disguised as a trainer.

Canelo has fought a few 6 footers (Chavez Jr, Jacobs, Fielding), so he knows how to deal with the height difference. Those guys aren't Kovalev. But Kovalev at this stage with a few pounds drained is very vulnerable.

None of those guys have anything close to the jab that Kov has, which is the main issue. Kov is a tall fighter who fights tall.

The closest approximation to Kov that Canelo has fought is GGG, who landed his jab pretty much at will in the first fight. Canelo adjusted in the second and neutralized it a bit, but I doubt that same game plan is going to work against a guy two inches taller and 15 pounds heavier.

Would you rate Yarde as a top 5 LHW at the moment? Based off of youth and talent alone I'd take him over guys like Eleider, Brown, and Pascal, even with the awful corner situation he's got right now. If Kov looked like he did against the likes of Jesse Hart, Hot Rod, or even Zurdo (massively overrated IMO) I'd probably share the same reservations you do, but I think Yarde is a talented guy who has holes because of inexperience and an awful trainer.

I picked Kov to win, but the fight pretty much turned out the way I thought it would. I didn't think he'd be on the verge of getting KO'd the way he did, but I did expect him to have some moments of vulnerability. His chin, and stamina have never been great to begin with, but he's obviously regressed mightily in those two areas as of late.

Navarette fighting again within a month is dope. Hopefully he fights Roman or Vargas soon

None of those guys have anything close to the jab that Kov has, which is the main issue. Kov is a tall fighter who fights tall.

The closest approximation to Kov that Canelo has fought is GGG, who landed his jab pretty much at will in the first fight. Canelo adjusted in the second and neutralized it a bit, but I doubt that same game plan is going to work against a guy two inches taller and 15 pounds heavier.

Would you rate Yarde as a top 5 LHW at the moment? Based off of youth and talent alone I'd take him over guys like Eleider, Brown, and Pascal, even with the awful corner situation he's got right now. If Kov looked like he did against the likes of Jesse Hart, Hot Rod, or even Zurdo (massively overrated IMO) I'd probably share the same reservations you do, but I think Yarde is a talented guy who has holes because of inexperience and an awful trainer.

I picked Kov to win, but the fight pretty much turned out the way I thought it would. I didn't think he'd be on the verge of getting KO'd the way he did, but I did expect him to have some moments of vulnerability. His chin, and stamina have never been great to begin with, but he's obviously regressed mightily in those two areas as of late.
That is assuming Kovalev is at full strength fighting Canelo. There is absolutely no way Canelo does not compromise him in some way. Let's see what the weight is first.

Anyone with a better handle on boxing politics (I'm just here for the fights....) have any idea why Wilder/Ortiz 2 hasn't been officially announced?

Back
Top Bottom