OFFICIAL 2019 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

Joe Alleva out at LSU.

Looks like A&M is gonna lose Scott Woodward that direction in short order.

That one hurts. Might be the best AD in America.

dacomeup dacomeup

247 Poster: Who is Miami a legit contender for out west at this stage?

Greg Biggins: I just put in a crystal ball forecast today for '21 QB Jake Garcia, long way to go with him but they're in a good spot. They're trying with a lot of the top guys like Justin Flowe, Savell Smalls, Kelee Ringo and Darnell Washington but I'm not sure I would call them a leader for any of those players as of today.

dacomeup dacomeup

247 Poster: Who is Miami a legit contender for out west at this stage?

Greg Biggins: I just put in a crystal ball forecast today for '21 QB Jake Garcia, long way to go with him but they're in a good spot. They're trying with a lot of the top guys like Justin Flowe, Savell Smalls, Kelee Ringo and Darnell Washington but I'm not sure I would call them a leader for any of those players as of today.
Looks like they rolled out the red carpet for him. Kinda missed out on landing an elite QB this year hiring Enos so late and couldn't land Beck. Need to go all in on landing a 2021 kid early.

Mississippi St? He probably doesn't want to here it, but it might be time to move to TE.

Looks like Sean Clifford is going to be the guy there this season.

Mississippi St? He probably doesn't want to here it, but it might be time to move to TE.

Looks like Sean Clifford is going to be the guy there this season.

Bruce Feldman was at Penn State and mentioned how good Clifford has looked and that he was interested to see Stevens come compete. Guess he could have been hinting at stuff the staff had said to him without being direct.

Makes me think the other possible Spring upsets Feldman mentioned on his pod this week - Haener in UW and Perry in Miami - have a greater likelihood of coming to fruition.

Bruce Feldman was at Penn State and mentioned how good Clifford has looked and that he was interested to see Stevens come compete. Guess he could have been hinting at stuff the staff had said to him without being direct.

Makes me think the other possible Spring upsets Feldman mentioned on his pod this week - Haener in UW and Perry in Miami - have a greater likelihood of coming to fruition.
I think Williams wins out at Miami. Seems like he's been the best QB from multiple sources. Perry has the best arm strength, but Jarren the better QB.

Zac Taylor is a NFL HC, wow.

I remember when he was at Nebraska :lol:

78106167-4797-47EB-A9A2-6A7ADBCCBCC3.gif

Dre a solid 5 weeks behind the news cycle :lol:

Edit: Check that - 9 to 10 weeks!

I remember when Sleepy Sherm hired him as a grad assistant at TAMU in 08. Thought it was just throwing the son-in-law a bone and helping him out. Quite a rise up the ranks since then. Errbody looking for Sean McVay now in the NFL.

Just listened to The Audible. JT Daniels really losing favor that quickly?

Naw.
Feldman spoke to Coach Harvey Hyde and a couple of other dumb SC writers who think because it’s a spread option offense the older running QB would be better suited. Hyde said last week “75% of the players want Sears as starter” then when he was asked how many players he’d spoken to he admitted he hadn’t actually talked to many players but it was the vibe he got from speaking to “people around the program.” In other words bs.

JT is probably going to be starter. He’s just not smoking Jack Sears or Kedon Slovis (an underrated 3 star) like some thought he would or be. Then again they’re all learning Harrell’s system for the first time and Sears has been practicing with the team for 3 springs now and it’s JT’s first spring, so the fact Sears still can’t seize the job tells you everything you need to know.
Also JT just spent a beach day with the entire O-line and their dads so...

SC writers are just fishing for interesting storylines in a boring spring where the offense and defense were surprisingly competent.

Also, Bruce Feldman is pretty damn spare if he isn't best buds with the head coach of the program.

This.

If it isn’t Miami, UW, Wazzu, Nebraska, Penn State, or Texas...

Oregon and LSU, he’s really tight with Cristobal and Ed.

All the Leach disciples (Dana, Lincoln, KK, etc.) are his guys too.

Isn't Thamel Tequila Tom's guy? I can't remember Bruce ever caping for him like that.

This is the case for just about every national reporter tho no? It's the nature of the beast. I don't think guys like Godfrey or Thamel are any better when it comes to schools they have no sources at, or any more objective with schools that clearly employ their guys.

Last edited:
Oregon and LSU, he’s really tight with Cristobal and Ed.

All the Leach disciples (Dana, Lincoln, KK, etc.) are his guys too.

Isn't Thamel Tequila Tom's guy? I can't remember Bruce ever caping for him like that.

This is the case for just about every national reporter tho no? It's the nature of the beast. I don't think guys like Godfrey or Thamel are any better when it comes to schools they have no sources at, or any more objective with schools that clearly employ their guys.

I forgot about Cristobal and Ed. EJ the 247 writer is basically on Tom’s payroll and with Thamel after the Bush and recruiting snitching of the 2000s I’m of the opinion that all the Yahoo guys are plugged in with UT.

Since early last year Feldman has definitely been riding for UT/Sam Ehlinger for Heisman. It might be because his beat is largely Big 12/Pac 12, but during the Kingsbury business all of Bruce’s info was coming from Texas and, maybe unawares to him, skewed to affect recruiting.

Last edited:
I think Godfrey is pretty objective towards teams he doesn't have great sources at, but I'm biased. At least as objective as a national reporter can be. I think him working will Bill C. so much helps with that, because (aside from Mizzou related stuff) Bill is mostly a numbers and history guy. They will at least attack football for the beast that it is and repeatedly acknowledge all of the bs that comes with it.

Feldman, Thamel, Mandel, etc are all in the same boat for me. I don't really care too much for them, but I will listen to their pods because I like CFB. But when it comes to certain coaches/schools you have to certainly take some things w/ a grain of salt.

I get that it’s hard to write objectively and rip coaches and players who are your primary sources for articles. You almost feel a duty to protect them because they’re willing to talk to you and help you do your job and you don’t want to in a way betray that trust.

There was a period in 2013-14 where I was recently unemployed and working as a freelance writer/journalist. My employer at the time pretty openly used me to cover mostly pop culture and “urban” topics (BLM was all over the news and the Michael Brown murder had just happened) but my night editor was a big Longhorns guy and would let me write about CFB too. I had an opportunity to career pivot away from law and into writing full time and I wonder, if I had done that would I carry the same diet-homerism I bring to a lot of the convos here into my coverage or would I have been able to stay unbiased about it the way I had to with all my other writing.

I may have had to relocate to Austin for the job and I lowkey hate UT football so it would have been interesting.

Back
Top Bottom