OFFICIAL 2019 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

Not that I think that he leaves, but why did A&M agree to a $0 buyout on Jimbo's contract?
They've fully guaranteed their last two head coaching contracts... Worth over $100 million dollars... And neither contract had any buyout protection for the school.

It's mind boggling.

I use to think JT Daniels was untouchable but after watching him throw at the second to last Spring practice, I left very unimpressed with him.

COLUMBUS, Ohio – It appears that it will be the Justin Fields show at quarterback after it was learned on Thursday evening that redshirt freshman quarterback Matthew Baldwin intends to enter the NCAA Transfer Portal per program sources, allowing schools to contact him about a potential transfer.

Fields, a transfer from the University of Georgia and Baldwin were locked in a battle over the spring, each vying for the starting nod at quarterback for the Buckeyes and replacement to the departed Dwayne Haskins. While both quarterbacks shared reps with the first team, it appeared that Fields had moved ahead in the race to be the No. 1 and that has led to the state that the Buckeyes and Baldwin at in today.

Entering the portal does not mean that Baldwin will absolutely transfer away from the Ohio State program but does seem to be a precursor to an impeding transfer. The Buckeyes lost quarterback Tate Martell to transfer shortly after Fields was granted immediate eligibility.

Baldwin was with the Buckeyes in 2018 but took a redshirt as he was recovering from a knee injury that was suffered during the Texas UIL state playoffs. Baldwin tried to fight through the injury to lead his team but ultimately had to shut it down and undergo surgery and go through a year-plus rehabilitation cycle.

The Austin (Texas) Lake Travis product will now have some big decisions to make in terms of what his next step is going to be. The NCAA has been lenient as of late in terms of granting immediate eligibility to transferring players. Baldwin could look at getting back closer to his home state or could really just look at depth charts elsewhere with a focus on trying to find the quickest path to the field.

This of course leaves Ohio State in a major bind at the quarterback position with only two signal callers on scholarship for the 2019 season with Fields and redshirt senior and graduate transfer Chris Chugunov. The former WVU quarterback has game experience during his days with the Mountaineers, playing in eight games during his career with 536 career passing yards on 43-90 passing with three touchdowns against two interceptions.

Ohio State does have the verbal commit of a quarterback for the class of 2020 with Jack Miller. The Buckeyes would have two quarterbacks on scholarship for that 2020 season with Fields and Miller and it opens the question if Baldwin does leave, could the Buckeyes bring in a second quarterback in the recruiting class to get the numbers in the room up to three, still one less than the preferred four. It is just the nature of how roster management is going to be in the day of the free-and-clear transfer and short of the NCAA changing the rules, programs like Ohio State and others will have to accept this reality of major flux in terms of numbers in positions where only one player can play.

It is all still up in the air until we learn if Baldwin will follow through with the transfer, however. One thing is for certain though, regardless of what Baldwin decides, the Buckeyes have little margin for error at quarterback with or without Baldwin in the fold and this is the first real challenge of the new Ryan Day-era as head coach.

How would you guys rank the top 4 jobs in the SEC after Bama ?

Bama's success has more to do with Saban than it does with Bama itself. It was a running joke that they were the ND of the South before Saban showed up there. It's a very similar situation to Osborne and Nebraska.

1. LSU
2. UGA
3A. UF
3B. Bama
5. A&M

Tennessee above Texas A&M?

Forgot A&M. Would prob have them 3rd on that list (4th overall). I actually think LSU is the best job in the SEC, maybe tied by UGA, before Bama. Bama just has Saban and booster and state funding right now.

I don’t know that without Saban it’s a top 2 or 3 SEC job.

I forgot about Cristobal and Ed. EJ the 247 writer is basically on Tom’s payroll and with Thamel after the Bush and recruiting snitching of the 2000s I’m of the opinion that all the Yahoo guys are plugged in with UT.

Since early last year Feldman has definitely been riding for UT/Sam Ehlinger for Heisman. It might be because his beat is largely Big 12/Pac 12, but during the Kingsbury business all of Bruce’s info was coming from Texas and, maybe unawares to him, skewed to affect recruiting.
late post but Feldman has been plugged into Herman since maybe Ohio St and i can definitely tell you EJ Holland is way less plugged into Texas than you might think. whatever you think it’s way way less than that.

Are the boosters going to stop pouring in money post-Saban?

Money dries up if your not winning and dynasties don't last forever.

I think a Wisconsin type situation could work there if Saban picks the right successor and he steps down at the right time, but I'm honestly expecting him to get pushed out like Snyder and Bowden because he's going to try to hold on too long.

Are the boosters going to stop pouring in money post-Saban?
I think they've smelled the blood in the water and at this point they would do whatever it takes to remain at the top. They dropped off a bit pre-Saban and they would have to bomb on a few hires before boosters gave up again.

late post but Feldman has been plugged into Herman since maybe Ohio St and i can definitely tell you EJ Holland is way less plugged into Texas than you might think. whatever you think it’s way way less than that.
EJ is essentially Billy Luicci without the Board of Regents/Big Money resources. EJ really just posts what that Carrington cat tells him to. There's a reason he's called the pizza boy on ither boards in Texas.

UGA
Florida
LSU
Auburn
You really got 2 East schools ahead of LSU? Think UGA has jumped up the list with the amount of talent that can be drawn from and held instate (and the quality has increased significantly the past few years). I would put LSU ahead of UF due to being the only legit program instate (and in a state that produces a lot of talent with pressure to stay home). UF def has its advantages with money and recent history, but you're still competing with FSU and UM for every regional recruit.

I hate agreeing with Nako just off principle alone, but I agree with his list from earlier

I think they've smelled the blood in the water and at this point they would do whatever it takes to remain at the top. They dropped off a bit pre-Saban and they would have to bomb on a few hires before boosters gave up again.

EJ is essentially Billy Luicci without the Board of Regents/Big Money resources. EJ really just posts what that Carrington cat tells him to. There's a reason he's called the pizza boy on ither boards in Texas.

You really got 2 East schools ahead of LSU? Think UGA has jumped up the list with the amount of talent that can be drawn from and held instate (and the quality has increased significantly the past few years). I would put LSU ahead of UF due to being the only legit program instate (and in a state that produces a lot of talent with pressure to stay home). UF def has its advantages with money and recent history, but you're still competing with FSU and UM for every regional recruit.

I hate agreeing with Nako just off principle alone, but I agree with his list from earlier

395.gif

Are the HS O's in FL the blame for the lack of elite QB talent? With Miami going after that Garcia kid, it got me wondering why with the proliferation of 7 on 7, FL still doesn't seem to be producing elite talent at the position.

If I had to rank SEC jobs (from a new-hire perspective), I think I'd probably have

1. LSU (in-state talent is basically monopolized and elite, but the university leadership is in constant turmoil...but still, win games and you're a God)
2A. UGA (in-state talent over the past several years has become elite, and you're the lone SEC team)
2B. UF (huge talent pool in-state and great resources, but still competing against FSU and UofM)
4. Bama (IRL #1 as of today, but still so dependent on the Saban factor like mentioned. Could range anywhere from 1 to Mike Shula/Mike Price/Joe Kines levels)
5. Currently going back and forth with TAMU, Auburn and Tennessee.

You can win a title at Auburn and they'll fire you 2 years later for having a down team. Tennessee and TAMU have the resources to be giants, but haven't done anything in a long time to be considered contenders.

Last edited:
Are the HS O's in FL the blame for the lack of elite QB talent? With Miami going after that Garcia kid, it got me wondering why with the proliferation of 7 on 7, FL still doesn't seem to be producing elite talent at the position.

I’ve heard the theory that some regions like Florida have their best QBs playing other positions. There’s also the possibility that with the rise of QB gurus in other places like the west coast and Texas, the QBs from those regions just develop and excel way quicker but max out their talent sooner, most in their high school years. Plus with recruiting services having more and more say on who gets hype and traction where, that kids who may have been great QBs are being missed or aren’t getting the opportunity or attention needed in HS and college to develop and shine.

:lol: EJ

I tend to think he just says whatever he thinks will drive clicks and get subs. I don’t think he’s nearly as dialed in as he’d like you to think.

He’s just a fan who runs a message board. Very Taylor Hamm-ish without all the weird extra ****.

Lack of resources, IMO. These kids around the country have private QB coaches and such. SFl kids definitely aren't getting that type of training.

Back
Top Bottom