OFFICIAL 2020 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

Who will the four teams in the College Football Playoff be?

• Alabama

Votes: 36 83.7%
  • Clemson

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • UGA

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • LSU

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Oklahoma

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • UF

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Ohio State

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Auburn

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Michigan

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Someone else

Votes: 17 39.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
24/7 is reporting that if SC gets blown by Utah, they will fire Helton quick. Also saying Folt doesn't want Urban but that could mean nothing since boosters will have a big say.

nako xl nako xl any truth to that stuff?

So with these paying college player bills...would colleges have to pay players extra to include them on marketing materials as well? (e.g. pictures on season tickets, media guides, street banners, billboards, etc.) Haven't had a chance to read into CA's yet, but glad NY is immediately following suit.

And don't remember the college rules regarding dropping classes, but at this point would Alfano be able to straight up transfer if he quit going to classes or would he have to go Juco for next season? Seems a little rough essentially dropping 12-15 credits your first semester and being able to go directly to another D1...

I'd imagine it would be similar to a grey shirt situation. He will probably have to miss a semester academically but I'm sure he can make it up in the spring and summer and be ready to go by next fall. pretty much he would be a regular student for a couple of semesters but he would be able to practice with the team, learn the playbook, etc. Of course this is just one potential path, it seems like he's going through a lot of personal stuff so who knows his timetable for return.

24/7 is reporting that if SC gets blown by Utah, they will fire Helton quick. Also saying Folt doesn't want Urban but that could mean nothing since boosters will have a big say.

Can an SC fan please explain to me why they brought back Clay Helton if they knew they plan on firing him? From what I've read, unless USC went to the college football playoff or won the pac-12 (both of which are unrealistic looking at USC's roster) clay would be fired. In this case, why not fire him last offseason? This entire fiasco makes no sense, is there a candidate that they have identified that wasn't available last offseason?

Why does a lose to BYU turn the heat back up?

If you going to fire him this fast means you should of just did it after the season

Tons of smoke that Charbonnet is out this weekend... Knee scoped for the 2nd time in 5 months... Heard that JH had a 1’s vs 1’s scrimmage during the bye week (after Army) and that’s where Charbonnet hurt his knee(he carried the ball 33 times v Army)... If true (which I completely see being probable) Jim has got no clue how to run a team in 2019.

Rumor is false. Charbonet got banged up in Saturday scrimmage so we should play. And harbaugh changed his offense the problem is new OC who hasn't called plays before, turnovers and sloppy basic stuff.

birdman.gif

Can an SC fan please explain to me why they brought back Clay Helton if they knew they plan on firing him? From what I've read, unless USC went to the college football playoff or won the pac-12 (both of which are unrealistic looking at USC's roster) clay would be fired. In this case, why not fire him last offseason? This entire fiasco makes no sense, is there a candidate that they have identified that wasn't available last offseason?
there was too much uncertainty with the school in general. Incoming President, academic and medical scandals......

Both Clay and Andy Enfield were flying under the radar. There were more pressing concerns at the University

Naw. Helton’s done either way unless they have a 2011 type run but those 247 reports are just them repeating tweets from sportsbybrooks. I’m not saying they’re completely without merit but he doesn’t really have sources. It’s just common sense to assume that a multiple touchdown blow out at home following a BYU upset could lead to a firing. That’s not any insider talk.

As for Folt, she wants Urban. She’s already spoken to him. There was also that dinner with him and admins two weeks ago. If there are hurdles it’s 1. Urban’s family doesn’t want him coaching anymore, and 2. He’s gonna have to explain a lot of stuff from UF and tO$U and is going to have to show he understands he won’t get away with it the same way in LA.

TL;DR: Because Lynn Swann didn’t want to even though he was told to.

Long answer:
Swann gave Clay an extension after the conference championship win and Cotton Bowl loss even though many of the athletic admin did not want to.

A lot of the board of trustees and some of the admin wanted to fire Clay, seeing as many of them didn’t want to hire him to begin with. They gave Lynn Swann the directive to do so and he told them he planned to and had notified Clay. That’s when casper90403 casper90403 and I came in here and posted excitedly that we’d heard Clay was out.

Then Swann, to assert his authority and show he wasn’t beholden to them did not. Part of that is because Rick Caruso and Wayne Hughes gave him the OK and like Clay because he’s deferential to them, part of it is because Clay gives Swann full access to the team and Swann was sort of a pseudo associate head coach which he liked (he was more involved in recruiting Chris Steele than our crappy former DB coach was.)

When Swann skipped a management team building trip to go sign autographs (during the middle of like 4 administrative scandals) it gave the new school president Carol Folt the ammo she needed to publicly fire Swann (though she’s been reaching out to replacements since mid August.) She’s planning on firing some others in the department who have been pro-Helton tenure despite the wishy washy results.

This was a great listen.. but it’s hilarious hearing tebow’s rant again and hearing how many times dude says “I, my or me” to support his argument before saying “now we’re changing it from us/we to me”.. anyways:

9437301.png

casper90403 casper90403 tweet deleted. Trying to find out what. GM says it’s not urban related and tweet was deleted because they’ll break it tomorrow.

———

Back
Top Bottom