OFFICIAL 2020 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

Who will the four teams in the College Football Playoff be?

• Alabama

Votes: 36 83.7%
  • Clemson

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • UGA

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • LSU

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Oklahoma

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • UF

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Ohio State

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Auburn

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Michigan

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Someone else

Votes: 17 39.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Interesting in seeing who Manny chooses at QB. Sounds like Jarren played best in this last scrimmage, but not sure if that will be enough.

Interesting in seeing who Manny chooses at QB. Sounds like Jarren played best in this last scrimmage, but not sure if that will be enough.

Are you guys going to be rolling with one guy against UF, or are two or more guys going to see snaps?

casper90403 casper90403 we out there October 5th before I propose. Can we use your house? :rofl:
Man, just remember how to talk when that happens. I barely got out "Will you marry me?" when I asked. Had a lot of **** I wanted to say but only managed those four words.

And to make this CFB related...pissed off I'm on call the week heading into Labor Day :smh:Not gonna able to drink during the first weekend of the season :smh::smh

What we know now after USC’s first scrimmage:

USC got pretty much what any team going to a completely new way of doing offense, or coming off a 5-7 season, would want out of its first scrimmage.

There were lots of things to like. And as always, some not so much. But the nearly 100-play scrimmage that lasted until 6:20 told us a lot about these Trojans with three weeks to go until Fresno.

So let's take a look at what we know, or think we know, now.

We know that:
*** A relentless work ethic differentiates this offense from what we saw a year ago. Where they were tentative then and uncertain about what they were doing, now they just seem to keep coming. At least in the passing game. And coming hard and fast and without seeming to have to speed themselves up. It just seems natural now. And the leader here looks to be senior WR Michael Pittman, who grinds it out every day, every play.

*** They look physical, and they look like they want to be physical. That they enjoyed the hitting here. Not sure we could ever say that about last year's team. They just didn't hit people. Didn't practice to hit people. And they played like they practiced.

*** This receiving corps in this offense should be fun to watch. Unless you're trying to play defense against it. No Air Raid offense has ever had this much talent and depth in a receivers group now that we've seen two of the big, talented freshmen -- Munir McClain and Drake London ("They're going to play," Clay said) -- assert themselves in ways we could have hardly expected. Play like they did Saturday and they will have a chance to wear out a defense with normal depth with all the running they'll have to do to stay with USC.

*** The run game is a different story. Even with Markese Stepp stepping up the way he did at times and showing he has the feet and hands to go with his 230-pound frame, and the return of Stephen Carr, there just were few running lanes open. Part of that is a credit to a swarming defense that ran well to the football. But this offense has to change that. Nothing limited last year's offense like the inability to force opponents to do anything special to defend the run. Or take advantage of them if they didn't. Walk-on Quincy Jountti has been a real plus and he will play. But no more "on and off" in the run game, as Clay described it.

*** Getting freshman speedster Kenan Christon some space to run is a work in progress. We'll see how that goes.

*** This offense is quarterback friendly, as advertised, with four quarterbacks going 64 for 84 Saturday. Not sure any team in America can go four-deep like that.

*** Hard to imagine that a guy can go 20 of 22 passing for 159 yards with several nice scrambles, a nice deep ball and not be No. 1 on the QB list for Saturday but that's how it works with this offense. Jack Sears did all that. But Matt Fink was darn near perfect. And JT Daniels was JT, throwing for four or five TDs, hitting them short and long for 192 or 242 yards depending on whether there was or wasn't a sack on one deep TD throw. Fast track here for an improved group for freshman Kedon Slovis(12-22 for 135 yards, 2 INT, no TDs), a bright spot all camp, to keep up with right now.

*** Velus Jones looks like a different player. Looks like a wide receiver. Looks like a finisher. Looks like he knows how to use his speed. Looks like Amon-Ra St. Brown which is all you need to know. Teams will have to think twice going one-on-one with him on the outside.

*** Amon-Ra looks like an All-American. "Phenomenal," Clay Helton called him, using this season the right word for Amon-Ra's yards-after-catch game. He looks quicker. He looks like he's going to try to take it all the way every time -- and with better ball security. His shallow crossing routes are pretty tough to defend.

*** Matt Fink's return to health adds an interesting component to the quarterback competition. He's a senior. He's bigger, stronger, has always been a gamer, he's a leader, his arm looks much stronger on both the short and deep stuff. Probably couldn't have had a better day than his perfect 10-for-10 passing producing three touchdowns.

*** Return is the name of the game for transfer portal returnees Matt, Velus and Chris Steele, whose talents and toughness will be crucial in growing up the position of most need right now -- corner. All three have picked up their games this August in ways and places USC can use them after coming back home to Troy. It's a good story line for this team.

*** Got to clean up the penalties. A young team that's played pretty clean thus far showed its immaturity Saturday with 10 flags. Not terrible since both teams were USC but not good either. They need to cut out the carelessness.

*** This defense is evolving. There are a lot of new names here. Kana'i Mauga inside showed the strength and power we knew he had on his new 250-pound frame. His six tackles demonstrated that. Might have found a home for him. Palaie Gaoteote looks like he's ready to play up to his ability. And don't overlook physical freshman Ralen Goforth. He just keeps stepping up and making plays.

*** Playing against this offense has to make this defense better, especially the young corners although Olaijah Griffin's shutdown day just continues what we've seen all camp. Which is the idea and the way it used to be when you can know that the toughest challenge every week is facing your own guys Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday as they make you get better for Saturday.

*** Double training for the likes of Greg Johnson, from corner to nickel, and Chase Williams from nickel to safety, is a smart way to extend the front line talent in the secondary.

*** Competition matters more than anythingfor player -- and team -- development. It's tried and true. It worked for Pete. It will work now. It's what was missing last season. It seems to be back. It had better be.

*** Ball-stripping works and takeaways matter. Again, we didn't see that last season from a team that was No. 120 in turnover margin. This is different. This is better. This is the way to go. They need to keep the focus on this.

*** Quarterbacks showed excellent deep ball accuracy. When they got a shot, they hit it for the most part -- all four of them. That's not easy to do. What a difference practice makes if you do it right.

*** This offensive line looked solid in pass protection but needs to figure out how to get more push against this defensive line that is challenging them hard. No obvious breakdowns. Only one obvious off-target snap.

*** The defensive line battled with a number of guys stepping up like Caleb Tremblay and Connor Murphy, example. Too many to mention. Need to figure out a more consistent pass offense.

*** And finally, from what we saw Saturday, it looks like Clay is comfortable now pushing these guys to play physically and aggressively in ways he hasn't shown a willingness to do in the past. As he must. This young team needs the freedom to go there. And they seem happy as heck to do so if they're encouraged and allowed to go there. If what we saw Saturday carries through November and through the postseason, they'll have a chance to develop in ways we certainly didn't see in 2018. Which of course, they must.

Is it me where does Alabama lose linebackers at a crazy rate? I remember two years ago, at I've point in the season, all of their starting linebackers were injured. This really sucks for McMillon, he's a redshirt senior who's paid his dues instead when it would been easy (and probably the smart decision) to transfer. Hopefully he can get a medical redshirt and play next season.

Interesting take here by Mike Farrell. I take everything he says with a grain of salt because she's had some awful takes and analysis in the past though. Evans is already said that he doesn't mind splitting carries so not sure that Mike's take your makes sense but he knows this kid a lot better than any of us do. Evans gives me the vibe that he's a type of player who's going to take it to the wire regardless.

Interesting take here by Mike Farrell. I take everything he says with a grain of salt because she's had some awful takes and analysis in the past though. Evans is already said that he doesn't mind splitting carries so not sure that Mike's take your makes sense but he knows this kid a lot better than any of us do. Evans gives me the vibe that he's a type of player who's going to take it to the wire regardless.

Evans has said/done a lot of contradictory **** to this point though. :lol:

I just don't think he wants to get that far away from home at the end of the day.

Evans has said/done a lot of contradictory **** to this point though. :lol:

I just don't think he wants to get that far away from home at the end of the day.

True. Not to knock the kid but it seems like he likes the attention, he's given interviews where he said a lot of contradictory things and he has a lot of cryptic social media.

As a Georgia fan, you would be a great centerpiece for the recruiting class but I don't want to put all of my eggs in that one basket. I would rather go after Lloyd or Bigsby and try to get them to change their minds instead of waiting on Evans, who seems to be a volatile character. I would just hate to go all in on Evans only for him to end up at TAMU and we're left taking a three-star guy or a transfer.

People say are running back depth is insane (and it is) but if you look at it, Swift and Herrian are both gone after this season and Cook and Zeus are both draft-eligible after next season. also, we know that Georgia likes to cycle through two or three running backs. We really need Evans more than people know

@10508 cardo jr ln , correct me if I'm wrong but I heard we were in the lead for Bigsby until we switched gears to Evans and then Auburn made Bigsby a priority, same goes for Lloyd.

Last edited:
True. Not to knock the kid but it seems like he likes the attention, he's given interviews where he said a lot of contradictory things and he has a lot of cryptic social media.

As a Georgia fan, you would be a great centerpiece for the recruiting class but I don't want to put all of my eggs in that one basket. I would rather go after Lloyd or Bigsby and try to get them to change their minds instead of waiting on Evans, who seems to be a volatile character.

Dont believe the hype

Let's go!

PvJBeD6.gif

But they’re recruiting each other

Back
Top Bottom