OFFICIAL 2020 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

Who will the four teams in the College Football Playoff be?

• Alabama

Votes: 36 83.7%
  • Clemson

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • UGA

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • LSU

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Oklahoma

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • UF

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Ohio State

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Auburn

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Michigan

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Someone else

Votes: 17 39.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just like beating usc wasn’t one

For what? the offense play calling is fine you can’t do anything when your qb has his worse game every and you missing your top 2 playmakers.

The defense is another story

He got 5 stars to Oregon on accident? He is not going to waste his time with kids him or his staff feel like they don’t have a chance with.

Of all the players that don’t play at UCLA anymore not one would have been a factor tonight.

Oregon didn't have a single top 10 recruiting class during the entire Chip Kelly era. In fact the best recruiting class ever was this last cycle. The thing that differentiated chip was that he could take good talent and when because he could out scheme and outplay call other teams. if you think he's going to drastically transform UCLA's recruiting then you're sadly mistaken. He's never been an elite recruiter and he doesn't like recruiting.

Not to mention, Chip Kelly has implemented completely arbitrary and goofy recruiting tactics

Last edited:
Oregon didn't have a single top 10 recruiting class during the entire Chip Kelly era. In fact the best recruiting class ever was this last cycle. The thing that differentiated chip was that he could take good talent and when because he could out scheme and outplay call other teams. if you think he's going to drastically transform UCLA's recruiting then you're sadly mistaken. He's never been an elite recruiter and he doesn't like recruiting.

Not to mention, Chip Kelly has implemented completely arbitrary and goofy recruiting tactics

Arbitrary and goofy? Like “8 clap 8th” where they don’t contact or offer kids until the 8th of each month? Except for, that they do offer some kids on other days so they’re not even sticking to their own dumb gimmick? :lol:

That was a fun game between Alabama State & UAB yesterday. Bama State should have won that game, but conservative play calling in the 4th, a missed extra point after their second TD & that kick off return from UAB screwed them over. Also didn't help that they got some stupid penalties.

Bama State had a pick 6 that would have gave them the lead, but the refs called THREE, yes THREE penalties against them on that play (roughing the passer, taunting & I forgot that the third one was.. lmao. Would have been nice to see ASU walk off with the win and the money.

On the bright side, UAB pulled in one of their largest crowds in 2 years
https://www.al.com/uab/2019/08/uab-draws-biggest-crowd-in-2-seasons.html

Chip's fine as long they make a bowl. A ten point loss to a solid Cinci squad on the road without your two best players is not something anyone should be overreacting to.

UF would have been an awful fit because they would have never been patient enough with him to go through this long build that he's attempting at UCLA. I'm sure some UCLA fans/boosters are a bit antsy but realistically it's a lot like Michigan in the sense that if this doesn't work out, nothing probably will.

Last edited:
Chip's fine as long they make a bowl. A ten point loss to a solid Cinci squad on the road without your two best players is not something anyone should be overreacting to.

UF would have been an awful fit because they would have never been patient enough with him to go through this long build that he's attempting at UCLA. I'm sure some UCLA fans/boosters are a bit antsy but realistically it's a lot like Michigan in the sense that if this doesn't work out, nothing probably will.
I'm not even sure you can really compare this to Michigan. Chip isn't running UCLA like a modern CFB program in a lot of ways. Harbs has shown willingess to adapt and recruiting is ultimately the lifeblood of a program, which Michigan has done pretty well at since he's been there, and that's considering that the state of Michigan doesn't pump out nearly the amount of talent that UCLA does. I think it can be done at UCLA, and I don't think that the 2019 Chip Kelly is the guy I'd point to saying that no one else can get it done there if he can't. Think we're underrating the power of having Phil behind him in Oregon.

I always feel like Chip is such an ego maniac with his style of play, he likes to challenge himself and essentially self sabotage.

I'm not even sure you can really compare this to Michigan. Chip isn't running UCLA like a modern CFB program in a lot of ways. Harbs has shown willingess to adapt and recruiting is ultimately the lifeblood of a program, which Michigan has done pretty well at since he's been there, and that's considering that the state of Michigan doesn't pump out nearly the amount of talent that UCLA does. I think it can be done at UCLA, and I don't think that the 2019 Chip Kelly is the guy I'd point to saying that no one else can get it done there if he can't. Think we're underrating the power of having Phil behind him in Oregon.

They weren't recruiting like gangbusters at Oregon either tho, he got DAT and Armstead towards the end but those teams were built with "his guys".

I think the blue chip ratio has some merit but Chip himself nearly broke it 2010, and a team that had his fingerprints all over it made the NC in 2014. There's probably a good chance Nebraska would have broke it multiple times in the 90's if the recruiting services were around http://sportstreatise.com/2018/01/1995-nebraska-and-the-myth-of-championship-recruiting/, and I'd be really interested to see if you applied it to the FCS if whether it would have applied to NDSU in those early years either.

The other strategy for excellence is to purposefully recruit guys that are likely to thrive as role players with a narrower range of duties and then only rely on the exceptional talents at the positions that are necessarily featured by the scheme. Obviously that’s what Tom Osborne achieved. The local high schools in Nebraska were running his system and he was plucking the best and brightest talents from a limited pool in terms of executing the essential points of his system while recruiting nationally for the RBs, QBs, and defenders necessary to hold up against South Floridian athletes in championship games. They were able to recruit and develop well enough in conjunction with that system that they achieved the same effect and more of a team that’s really good at convincing brilliant athletes to master supporting roles.

A version of this is what ultimately I think Chip's goal at UCLA is, and in a lot of ways is what he had at Oregon. A team comprised mostly of maxed out role players with a few elite talents that buy in 100%, and whatever talent disadvantages they might have is negated by scheme and efficiency.

This theory of team building leaves you almost zero room for error if "your guys" don't pan out, and your not scheming and developing at an A1 level. But it's been done before and most importantly it's been done by Chip which is why it's hard for me to not believe that he's not going to get it cranked up again at UCLA eventually.

Last edited:
Chip’s issues can be boiled down to 4 things:

1. He refuses to recruit the way a modern football team does. He treats it like the pros and is basically like I’ll coach whoever you give me and I’ll just out scheme the other team.

2. Related to number 1, he refuses to kiss parents and HS coaches asses. You already have coaches and parents saying that he moves funny. USC even in down years has some HS programs feeding them kids because of the connections. Where are those UCLA pipelines?

3. He has an ego.

4. EVERYONE runs the 2011 Oregon offense now. That HUNH spread **** scared the hell out of teams a decade ago but now even Stanford runs it. It’s not unique. Teams face it every week so he’s no longer catching defenses off guard. We saw this in the NFL once teams had a year plus to look at his film. He’s still running the same **** now and it’s not special.
4a. And he’s running it with a roster completely made up of underclassmen and inferior back up talent because he booted everyone else out.

———
The playcalling last night was maybe the worst I’ve seen at UCLA in years. He was calling HB dives into the mouth of the defense 3x in a row for 2 yard gains and doing **** like that on consecutive drives. If DTR can’t pass then bench him. You pushed out Modster. Don’t complain now about your QB situation. Chip supposed to be the spread guru.

They weren't recruiting like gangbusters at Oregon either tho, he got DAT and Armstead towards the end but those teams were built with "his guys".

I think the blue chip ratio has some merit but Chip himself nearly broke it 2010, and a team that had his fingerprints all over it made the NC in 2014. There's probably a good chance Nebraska would have broke it multiple times in the 90's if the recruiting services were around http://sportstreatise.com/2018/01/1995-nebraska-and-the-myth-of-championship-recruiting/, and I'd be really interested to see if you applied it to the FCS if whether it would have applied to NDSU in those early years either.

A version of this is what ultimately I think Chip's goal at UCLA is, and in a lot of ways is what he had at Oregon. A team comprised mostly of maxed out role players with a few elite talents that buy in 100%, and whatever talent disadvantages they might have is negated by scheme and efficiency.

This theory of team building leaves you almost zero room for error if "your guys" don't pan out, and your not scheming and developing at an A1 level. But it's been done before and most importantly it's been done by Chip which is why it's hard for me to not believe that he's not going to get it cranked up again at UCLA eventually.

I think the point people are making is Osborne recruited like that at Nebraska and he recruited like that at Oregon (though they had a lot more talent than I think people are willing to acknowledge) because they had to. The PAC 12 exists and schedules as it does ONLY because all the non California schools want to play in LA and the Bay. Chip has one of the most talent rich player pools in his city and refuses to recruit them.

Even Petersen with his OKG bs chases California 5 stars and 4 stars. Chip would like them to come (as evidenced by him willingly accepting guys like Sean Rhyan who they didn’t even really recruit) so this idea of them passing these guys up for system dudes is kinda false. He just doesn’t like or want to put in the work to get the number of them that are in arms reach.

Every new coach sells a new regime and gets a recruiting boost the first year. How is it that Chip, an NFL coach who played for a national championship this decade in this conference is recruiting worse than the disaster before him. And now they’re trying to spin that as “by design”?

1. He refuses to recruit the way a modern football team does. He treats it like the pros and is basically like I’ll coach whoever you give me and I’ll just out scheme the other team.

2. Related to number 1, he refuses to kiss parents and HS coaches asses. You already have coaches and parents saying that he moves funny. USC even in down years has some HS programs feeding them kids because of the connections. Where are those UCLA pipelines?

3. He has an ego.

4. EVERYONE runs the 2011 Oregon offense now. That HUNH spread **** scared the hell out of teams a decade ago but now even Stanford runs it. It’s not unique. Teams face it every week so he’s no longer catching defenses off guard. We saw this in the NFL once teams had a year plus to look at his film. He’s still running the same **** now and it’s not special.
4a. And he’s running it with a roster completely made up of underclassmen and inferior back up talent because he booted everyone else out.

———
The playcalling last night was maybe the worst I’ve seen at UCLA in years. He was calling HB dives into the mouth of the defense 3x in a row for 2 yard gains and doing **** like that on consecutive drives. If DTR can’t pass then bench him. You pushed out Modster. Don’t complain now about your QB situation. Chip supposed to be the spread guru.

This. #4 is the most important and relevant. In the late 2000s and early 2010s, Chip what's on The cutting edge with his offensive philosophy and it was hard for teams with more talent to combat the HUNH offense.

Now that just about every major college football program has HUNH principles and even high schools are running it, he has no tactical advantage. HUNH has even influence recruiting. Alabama used to have a huge 260 lbs linebackers and now they're recruiting lighter, more versatile players at that position, and the same goes for most top programs. Every team sees RPOs at practice every single day and they know how to read and counteract it.

Unless Chip Kelly start recruiting at an elite-level (which isn't happening) or has a new offensive wrinkle that's going to change college football, I think he's DOA at UCLA. Y'all keep dreaming though.

big facts right here. I've seen/heard about this from players and coaches. Players thought he was downright disrespectful when he visited the handful of players that were brought into the coaches to meet him and the staff. Even a hello seemed to be a difficult thing for him to say.

I dont get it.

The problem with comparing Chip Kelly to Tom Osborne or even his 2010 self is two-fold. One, recruiting services and the industry is becoming bigger and better at identifying guys. Of course it still happens, but it's harder and harder to hide guys in the internet era. Which is why the BC ratio rings true. Second, this makes the margin for error for Chip finding these under the radar system fits even tighter.

Tom Osborne's success isn't being replicated in 2019. Not with how these bi programs pull kids nationally, how many more programs there are that matter in Texas, etc.

Chip is not running the same ****.

Much more two TE, and pre snap motion. I can kind of see where he wants to go with it, and I think he sees as well that being 12 personnel heavy from the spread is the next major innovation. He obviously needs the horses tho if it is going to work.

The NFL caught up because Chip couldn't innovate in the passing game, and struggled finding ways to innovate in the running game without a running QB who could equal the numbers.

Arbitrary and goofy? Like “8 clap 8th” where they don’t contact or offer kids until the 8th of each month? Except for, that they do offer some kids on other days so they’re not even sticking to their own dumb gimmick? :lol:

fakenewsnako at it again. kids get offers all month and in contact with the coaching staff. the "gimmick" is the kid announcing it on the 8th

fakenewsnako at it again. kids get offers all month and in contact with the coaching staff. the "gimmick" is the kid announcing it on the 8th

Your 247 board runner David Woods literally just described it in his podcast this week as what I typed above. If there's confusion on my part, blame your trash coaching staff. He said part of the gimmick is kids being excited to see if they get an offer on the 8th except that they're still offering SOME kids all month.

Last edited:

———

This. #4 is the most important and relevant. In the late 2000s and early 2010s, Chip what's on The cutting edge with his offensive philosophy and it was hard for teams with more talent to combat the HUNH offense.

Now that just about every major college football program has HUNH principles and even high schools are running it, he has no tactical advantage. HUNH has even influence recruiting. Alabama used to have a huge 260 lbs linebackers and now they're recruiting lighter, more versatile players at that position, and the same goes for most top programs. Every team sees RPOs at practice every single day and they know how to read and counteract it.

Unless Chip Kelly start recruiting at an elite-level (which isn't happening) or has a new offensive wrinkle that's going to change college football, I think he's DOA at UCLA. Y'all keep dreaming though.

he doesnt even use that full offense anymore.

Chip getting this Board movin’

Obligatory Casper GIF

PjxUz7p.gif

And another chip for good measure

AlarmedAggressiveGentoopenguin-size_restricted.gif

Back
Top Bottom