OFFICIAL 2020 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

Who will the four teams in the College Football Playoff be?

• Alabama

Votes: 36 83.7%
  • Clemson

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • UGA

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • LSU

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Oklahoma

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • UF

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Ohio State

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Auburn

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Michigan

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Someone else

Votes: 17 39.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The problem with comparing Chip Kelly to Tom Osborne or even his 2010 self is two-fold. One, recruiting services and the industry is becoming bigger and better at identifying guys. Of course it still happens, but it's harder and harder to hide guys in the internet era. Which is why the BC ratio rings true. Second, this makes the margin for error for Chip finding these under the radar system fits even tighter.

Tom Osborne's success isn't being replicated in 2019. Not with how these bi programs pull kids nationally, how many more programs there are that matter in Texas, etc.

I'd need to see some evidence that services have gotten any better at identifying talent since 2010, and I'm not sure the industry is really any bigger than it was then unless you are counting the football equivalents of stuff like ballislife, which aren't exactly hyping up diamonds in the rough. 247 absorbed Scout, and IIRC ESPN laid off a good chunk of it's recruiting staff last year.

Things have certainly gotten better since the Tom Lemming/Parade AA days, but I think the services are the best they are going to be and peaked a while ago as soon as we entered the internet/message board era, which overlapped with Chip's run at UO.

I don't disagree tho with the margin of error being extremely tight.

he doesnt even use that full offense anymore.

Regardless of what he's running or the personnel he's using, the point still remains: he used to have a strategic advantage that allowed him to out scheme other teams and now he doesn't. With the advantage he once had now gone, he needs to recruit elite talent like everyone else and he refuses to do so.

He reminds me of Paul Johnson at Georgia Tech, they have that "smartest guy in the room" arrogance to them. They feel the need to prove how smart they are, "I don't need a bunch of blue-chip players, I'll just outsmart my opponents". Good luck with that. :lol: Chip is gonna be back in the booth by the end of 2020

I'd need to see some evidence that services have gotten any better at identifying talent since 2010, and I'm not sure the industry is really any bigger than it was then unless you are counting the football equivalents of stuff like ballislife, which aren't exactly hyping up diamonds in the rough. 247 absorbed Scout, and IIRC ESPN laid off a good chunk of it's recruiting staff last year.

Things have certainly gotten better since the Tom Lemming/Parade AA days, but I think the services are the best they are going to be and peaked a while ago as soon as we entered the internet/message board era, which overlapped with Chip's run at UO.

I don't disagree tho with the margin of error being extremely tight.

The industry has gotten bigger and more high profile. Rivals, 247 and ESPN all employ alot more people than they did a decade ago. Also, satellite camps from universities and the dozens of sneaker/recruiting service sponsored camps (Rivals Camps, The Opening, etc.) give recruiting services alot more data points and allows them to see alot more kids in person.

I don't have empirical evidence to back it, only an opinion that the services are better now than they were in 2010.

Osborne's stuff will never be duplicated again. Don't think you can even compare that to anyone.

nako xl nako xl Mike is right, another UCLA alum explained the 8 Clap thing to me.

I always forget that Papi Lebatard has a Heisman vote :lol:

---

Damn, he's in the NFL now, but Rodney Anderson (former OU RB) just tore his ACL again. This is now back to back years he's torn his ACL, as well as a broken vertebrae in 2016 and a brokn leg in 2015. Feel terrible for him.

Last edited:
Y’all do know Cincy went 11-2 last year and UCLA went 3-9? I don’t see what the uproar is with them losing week 1 by 10

Y’all do know Cincy went 11-2 last year and UCLA went 3-9? I don’t see what the uproar is with them losing week 1 by 10

The concern has more to do with how UCLA looked than actually losing to Cincy. They look anemic offensively and their QB should be playing WR. Chip is 3-10 in his first 13 games at UCLA and year 2 isn't off to a good start. Year 2 is when most coaches start to turn things around and UCLA looked like the same team from last season against Cincy.

Most teams that aren't winning off the field can at least tout recruiting victories (i.e Tennessee fans for the last decade) but Chip can't even do that right.

Don’t let the door hit you on the way out smh
8271CB38-1734-4B3F-BC0D-328C7F818C30.jpeg

The concern has more to do with how UCLA looked than actually losing to Cincy. They look anemic offensively and their QB should be playing WR. Chip is 3-10 in his first 13 games at UCLA and year 2 isn't off to a good start. Year 2 is when most coaches start to turn things around and UCLA looked like the same team from last season against Cincy.

Most teams that aren't winning off the field can at least tout recruiting victories (i.e Tennessee fans for the last decade) but Chip can't even do that right.

They were actually worse against Cincy last night than last year.

Think the issue is more with how UCLA looked than the loss.

exactly this. im not worried about the play calling or what type of offense chip was running

DTR looked flat out horrible and the QB across the field was also a WR turned qb and he was killing it. and the defense is still a mess with that old *** DC.

for chips history with QB's we expected DTR to look better then he did last night maybe he gets better with his top 2 playmakers come back.

chip aint getting fired anytime soon with ucla avg history in football its not anything better out there. he still cleaning up mora's mess. hopefully he goes across the hall and learn from cronin on how to attack recruiting better

If he's gotta learn recruiting from Cronin, then he's in big trouble. :lol: Only thing that's changed out there is he has bags.

How much longer does Charlie Strong until he's on the hot seat at USF? I know that Wisconsin is better than y'all but you just not show up at home like this. :sick::smh:

Man, I’m not gonna say Chollie should have never left Louisville for Texas because of course he 100% had to take that opportunity, but man... he shoulda never left Louisville :lol:

In 2015, If you would've told me this would be the fate of Blake Barnett, I would have called you crazy. I thought he was gonna be Tua before Tua; I thought he'd kill it in college and be a first round pick. Shows you how hard it is to scout high school QBs

Oregon State really gonna blow this 10-7 lead by giving up 24 unanswered in the 2nd quarter?? :rofl:

Oregon State really gonna blow this 10-7 lead by giving up 24 unanswered in the 2nd quarter?? :rofl:

Are you that surprised though?

That was good execution on that rub route there...this is a Pac12/Big 12 after dark mashup. I'm sure itll go down to the wire.

Back
Top Bottom