OFFICIAL 2020 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

Who will the four teams in the College Football Playoff be?

• Alabama

Votes: 36 83.7%
  • Clemson

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • UGA

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • LSU

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Oklahoma

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • UF

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Ohio State

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Auburn

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Michigan

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Someone else

Votes: 17 39.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AC52A879-2805-49AB-A84F-F3D7468D8572.jpeg

College-aged kids are going to party/go to each other's houses/do whatever they want whether they're on campus or not.

I don't think we can use that as a barometer of whether or not campuses should be open.
Come on man... You're doing some real crash bandicoot type leaping in here to justify your stance.

EDIT

If you're acknowledging that having college aged kids on campus will probably cause a spread of corona on campus and the surrounding community, how does that not justify the school and community keeping those kids away?

EVEN if the likelihood of people under 23 dying from the disease isn't very high (a stat that is becoming more and more suspect as the virus rages through the US btw) you're acting like the coaches, officials, grounds crew, teachers, staff, neighbors are all 17-23 and without serious comorbidities. And that's before you get into the fact that most of these schools are in low-income towns, the likes of which have the highest fatality rates from covid because of said comorbidities and lack of access to healthcare.

not a viable experience as in "maybe distracted and disinterested listening to their teacher online"?

I know one shoe does not fit all. I'm built for this stay at home stuff. Been practicing for 20+ years. But I know a lot are not and need the in person interaction
I'm not gonna lie, the stay at home **** is easy for me. I'm a social butterfly, but my HS years of Diablo 2/counter strike and AOL Instant Messenger prepared me for this.

I miss the J.O.'s, sure, but I'm wifed up now so that life is behind me too. There's nothing left in these streets for me :lol:

I commented on this above... the NLRA doesn't PRECLUDE players at public universities from collective bargaining. It just doesn't federally mandate it. The individual states can allow it and many do for public school employees.

Come on man... You're doing some real crash bandicoot type leaping in here to justify your stance.

EDIT

If you're acknowledging that having college aged kids on campus will probably cause a spread of corona on campus and the surrounding community, how does that not justify the school and community keeping those kids away?

EVEN if the likelihood of people under 23 dying from the disease isn't very high (a stat that is becoming more and more suspect as the virus rages through the US btw) you're acting like the coaches, officials, grounds crew, teachers, staff, neighbors are all 17-23 and without serious comorbidities. And that's before you get into the fact that most of these schools are in low-income towns, the likes of which have the highest fatality rates from covid because of said comorbidities and lack of access to healthcare.
I'm not going to keep going back and forth on it because I don't think it's worth anyone's time.

A total shut down and all virtual learning IS NOT a viable solution. Neither is living totally normal lives and operating without precaution.

My wife has cystic fibrosis so miss me with the nonsense of me acting I'm unaware of the risks here. I'm well aware. I just don't think one-size-fits-all solutions like completely shutting down campuses, or blanket stay at home orders are realistic, viable options.

I'm not going to keep going back and forth on it because I don't think it's worth anyone's time.

A total shut down and all virtual learning IS NOT a viable solution. Neither is living totally normal lives and operating without precaution.

My wife has cystic fibrosis so miss me with the nonsense of me acting I'm unaware of the risks here. I'm well aware. I just don't think one-size-fits-all solutions like completely shutting down campuses, or blanket stay at home orders are realistic, viable options.
Ok. I know you've posted a lot in here, and I know you've spelled this out through those posts, but just to be clear so I understand, what do you think the schools/football teams/conferences should do?

Wrong tweet :lol: here’s what I meant to post

These schools and conferences spelling it out that these dudes are more than just “student athletes” and ppl STILL siding with the no compensation, “they got a scholarship so that’s enough”, and “amateur” wave :lol: :smh:

Ok. I know you've posted a lot in here, and I know you've spelled this out through those posts, but just to be clear so I understand, what do you think the schools/football teams/conferences should do?
I've said a number of times I don't know that playing college sports right now makes sense.

It's a TON of unnecessary liability for both the players and schools because we've decided to continue parading these guys around as amateurs. It's a bad idea to have stadiums full of fans. That's without considering the travel involved. Acting like conference-only schedules solved anything was an inherently stupid proposition.

That said - I've got a degree in education and I spent a TON of time learning about the pros/cons of in-class vs. virtual learning. It's not close - at any age demographic. Kids who are still in learning environments need to be in learning environments if at all possible.

We don't have a vaccine yet. People we trust with my wife's health and well-being say we probably don't have one until late-spring 2021 - at the soonest. It doesn't get rolled out for mass-use for another 6+ months after that in all likelihood. People who are at high-risk should ONE HUNDRED PERCENT be taking extreme precaution right now. My family is still locked down.

So what are we going to do? We can either live in a bubble for the next year and cancel everything, or we can find reasonable and logical paths forward so we're not cutting off our nose here to spite our face.

Last edited:
I think they should play. The vast majority of college athletes do want to play and those who don't feel comfortable have the option to opt out or red shirt without penalty. Heck, the NCAA will most likely give you another year of eligibility if you want it.

Conferences are considering canceling sports not because they genuinely care about the health and welfare of student athletes, it's solely because of liability and money.

Back
Top Bottom