OFFICIAL 2020 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

Who will the four teams in the College Football Playoff be?

• Alabama

Votes: 36 83.7%
  • Clemson

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • UGA

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • LSU

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Oklahoma

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • UF

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Ohio State

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Auburn

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Michigan

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Someone else

Votes: 17 39.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Get in line. Bama, Clemson, UGA, and everybody else will be dropping bags for Lewis. :lol:
For sure. There’s so much talent for UT and A&M to split up in Texas in 2021, Jimbo’s gonna have some serious bags flowing for OOS kids.

Kinda wild that he's still on the team period, but don't think he'll play another down if the current Title IX investigation is true.

Huggins' status remains unclear as previous incidents surface
ByTHOMAS GOLDKAMP

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Florida sophomore nickelback John Huggins has been absent from the team's practices so far in fall camp, dealing with what coach Dan Mullen described last week as a family situation.

According to documents provided to Swamp247 by the University of Florida Police Department via an open records request, Huggins was twice referred to UF's Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution department for separate incidents that occurred last fall. One reportedly involved Huggins putting his hands around a tutor's neck.

A UF spokesman told Swamp247 on Monday the team has known about both incidents for a while. Mullen also clarified when asked on Tuesday that Huggins' current absence is not related to those incidents.

"These are all incident reports that we were aware of last football season," spokesman Steve McClainsaid.

Added Mullen:

"No (it's not related). "No, that's all been handled."

Huggins played in Florida's first five games in 2018 prior to the first incident he was referred to UF's Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution department for, when he allegedly put his hands around a tutor's neck. He did not play in the following five games for the Gators.

On Oct 1., UFPD officers responded to a call about one of the tutors at the Otis Hawkins Center on campus being strangled by Huggins during a tutoring session. The police report indicates that the complainant did not wish to press charges against Huggins following the alleged incident.

The complainant willingly met with UFPD officers and told them that she met with Huggins at 10:30 a.m. that day for a tutoring session. About 10 minutes into the session, Huggins received a text message from another tutor in the same building informing him that he had left his jacket.

Huggins told the complainant that he was going to get his jacket and would be back. His phone was near the complainant, so the complainant, also one of Huggins' tutors, put her hand on the phone, telling him he could get it when he returned. She told UFPD that Huggins frequently leaves his hour-long tutoring sessions within 15 minutes of them starting, and keeping his phone was her way of making sure he would return.

According to the incident report, at that point Huggins placed both of his hands on the complainant's neck to choke her. The complainant told UFPD officers she could breathe and talk while Huggins' hands were around her neck and that she didn't recall him saying anything while he was grabbing her. After Huggins put his hands on her neck, the complainant told him he could have his phone and go.

After retrieving his jacket, Huggins reportedly returned to the tutoring session but left about five minutes after, stating his session was over. The complainant told UFPD that Huggins acted like nothing had happened when he returned. After Huggins left, the complainant reported the incident to her supervisor, who contacted UFPD.

The complainant told UFPD officers that she had red marks on her neck after the incident but that they were gone by the time UFPD arrived. The UFPD officer who filed the incident report noted that he did not see any red marks on her neck.

The complainant also relayed another incident involving Huggins in a group tutoring session. While at the session, one of the other football players present offered to braid the complainant's hair. The complainant allowed him to do so, but while the unnamed football player was braiding her hair, Huggins approached and said, "Do you know what you're supposed to do with this?" before grabbing and pulling on her hair. Uninjured, the complainant immediately walked away.

UFPD reported that the complainant said she has never been in a personal relationship with Huggins. She filled out a sworn statement for UPFD and signed a complaint withdrawal affidavit following the incident. UFPD referred her to a victim advocate but noted she did not want to speak with one right away.

The incident is one of at least five involving alleged violence against women that have been reported at Florida since Mullen arrived.

Cornerback Justin Watkins was dismissed from the team last summer after he was arrested for assaulting and choking his girlfriend. Quarterback Jalon Jones transferred after two women filed sworn complaint affidavits alleging he sexually assaulted them in his dorm room. Neither woman pressed formal charges. Cornerback Brian Edwards also was arrested for misdemeanor battery for allegedly grabbing his girlfriend by the neck, but the charges were later dismissed for insufficient evidence. Edwards also transferred. Off-the-field staffer Otis Yelverton was also arrested for threatening to blow up his ex-girlfriend's car. His charges were also dropped, but Yelverton is no longer with the program.

Mullen was adamant the program has been diligent about educating everyone in the program about how to treat women properly.

"We do a lot. How many of them were actually charged?" Mullen asked. "Part of it is also, there's a lot out there with women. Now we do a lot of education with our team on that stuff. Obviously I'm a big anti-violence-against-women person. I'm also a person that I really want to have all the information as I make decisions on what happens in different situations.

"That's one of the toughest deals, because it's a jump to conclusion on every detail that happens sometimes."

The alleged incident with the tutor was not Huggins' only reported incident.

He was referred to UF's Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution department again on Jan. 16, a month after officers responded to a narcotics violation call at UF's Keys Complex, where many student-athletes reside.

On Dec. 16, UFPD responded to a call from a graduate hall director about a burnt marijuana smell in the building. Officers located and found about a gram of marijuana inside the dorm room of Huggins, UF tight end Kyle Pitts and running back Iverson Clement.

Huggins and Pitts denied any knowledge of the marijuana on scene, while Clement did the same after being contacted by UFPD. Clement was not present when the marijuana was retrieved.

All three were referred to the UF Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution department.

Huggins and Pitts both appeared in Florida's bowl game against Michigan on Dec. 29.

For Florida, Huggins' absence has contributed to a shortage of depth at the nickelback position in fall camp. Sophomore Trey Dean moved to the position as the starter this spring following the departure of nickelback Chauncey Gardner-Johnson to the NFL Draft.

Huggins is expected to be his primary backup in 2019. Fellow reserve nickelback Christopher McWilliams recently suffered a torn Achilles in non-contact work during fall camp and miss the season. With Huggins and McWilliams currently out, it's unclear who Dean's immediate backup is.

Mullen indicated that linebacker Amari Burney and Huggins are both capable of backing up Dean, and cornerback Marco Wilson can also slide there in a pinch.

Asked a couple times Tuesday, Mullen said that he knew an exact timetable for a return for Huggins but was unwilling to reveal it. Has he been pleased with Huggins' behavior in the program since the incidents last fall?

9COMMENTS
"Some things yes, some things no," he said.

Huggins recorded three tackles, a tackle for a loss and one interception as a true freshman in 2018.

Nothing he would do would surprise me.

But I'd also bet heavily he doesn't sign with the school he commits to early.

Evans with a new crystal ball to Georgia. If we get Evans, Kenny McIntosh would just need to enter the transfer portal immediately :lol:

FB_IMG_1565114954502.jpg

Insider Notes: UGA freshman off to fast start in camp
VIP ByJAKE ROWE 5 hours ago
Share38 Comments
Preseason camp is still young at Georgia but with four practices in the books, there's still plenty of buzz trickling out of the Butts-Mehre Heritage Hall. Dawgs247 has had its ear to the ground over the past couple of days and below we share what we've heard on a number of different topics in our latest edition of insider notes.

*** Want to start off by letting you guys inside the process for articles like this one. One thing I try to do every preseason camp is take in a few practices, make notes of some of the things that stand out to me, and reach out to my contacts for more information on those notes.

I did that earlier this morning on freshman wide receiver Dominick Blaylock and I found it interesting that every source I spoke with had something to say and that it was all really similar. First and foremost, Blaylock is off to a strong start in camp and I had two contacts compare the early impression he has made to that of D'Andre Swift a couple of years ago. We've said this before but it came up in my conversations again today, his maturity level is off the charts. He's the type of guys who is focused in every meeting, walkthrough, and practice. He's picking up the offense quickly and that's always welcome when you consider how young and talented he is.

As for what he's doing on the field, we're not ready to say he's lighting it up but multiple sources told me that he's catching everything thrown his way. He has shown the ability to use his quickness to gain quick separation, but what has impressed those who've seen him most thus far is his physicality. He's not the kind of receiver who shies away from contact and I'm told that he's doing a good job of mixing it up against some older, sometimes bigger, defensive backs.

*** Another receiver I've heard some buzz about already is Lawrence Cager. That shouldn't really come as a surprise considering how much football he has played but one source told me that the Bulldog defensive backs hate covering the guy. They can do everything right on a play but he's so crafty, physical, and big that he finds a way to make plays. At 6-foot-5 220 pounds, he struggles to create separation against Georgia's really athletic cornerbacks but it's not necessarily something he needs to do to make plays.

*** Another graduate transfer, Eli Wolf, was characterized as a "pleasant surprise" in a conversation with a source close to the program this morning. That source says that you look at him and he's not the biggest guy out there, but he's a really feisty blocker and powerful despite not having the size you normally see in a guy who wins consistently at the point of attack. Where has really stood out is in his ability to run routes. Wolf is really smooth in that area and has challenged UGA's safeties and linebackers during camp thus far.

*** Zamir White has been a scorching hot topic already this preseason and I haven't spoken to a single person who has been disappointed in any way with how he has performed. He's not back to his old self and that's apparent when you watch him but multiple contacts have been impressed with how he doesn't appear tentative. One contact told me that they don't believe he's letting it all hang out just yet but that if you didn't already know how freakishly talented he was, you wouldn't know to expect more. Also, I'm told that when White gets his first carry after suffering the two ACL injuries in the past two years, it's highly likely that the team is going to go bananas. He's beloved by his teammates.

*** As far as the offensive line and the competition at right guard goes, I'm told that is very much "neck-and-neck" with Ben Cleveland and Cade Mays right now. I was also told that it would be hard to pick out an offensive lineman who is having a bad camp. Wasn't able to get clarification on whether it was Sam Pittman or the veterans in this group, but the offensive line was challenged prior to the start of camp to not be the type of unit that underperforms after all the accolades and hype they've gotten. The group has apparently answered the challenge.

*** Moving over to the defensive side where I've checked specifically on Jordan Davis and Justin Young of late. Sources close to the program say Davis really added some strength and flexibility this offseason but that Trey Scott is coaching him as hard as anyone day in and day out. The young defensive line coach is bound and determined to get the most out of his mammoth sophomore nose tackle and it's safe to say that the bar is very high there. As for Young, after talking with Rusty Mansell on our podcast earlier this summer and hearing Kirby Smart talk about him on the first day of camp, I did some digging. He has picked up where he left off this spring in terms of making a move per what I'm told. He's probably not going to be an every-down guy or a breakout star, but a pair of contacts told me that they fully expect him to help this team and play meaningful snaps. I've always been a fan of this kid's game, dating back to high school when he racked up 22.5 sacks in his senior season while playing defensive end in a three-man front. He has struggled to find a role thus far but it appears as if the staff has developed yet another mature body to help out up front.

*** After seeing a few posters on the Dawgs247 Junkyard point out that Tae Crowder looked a little slimmer in the photos from day one, I checked on the fifth-year senior to see if that was true and what kind of camp he's having thus far. I'm told that he hasn't really lost any weight but he has gotten a little leaner and faster. One contact who saw some practices last season and watched him in one of the padded practices told me that he appears to be playing/practicing a lot faster. Monty Rice and Nakobe Dean have garnered most of the buzz in camp thus far but it appears that Crowder is picking up where he left off last season.

Personally, I'm really interested to see how it plays out for him in 2019. I look back at Kendall Baker from last season and how he got bigger and stronger in the offseason but it still wasn't enough to hold off Solomon Kindley. He ended up being a valuable guy for Georgia up front in multiple games, but you get a similar feeling that Crowder is holding on for dear life with Dean, Channing Tindall, and Quay Walker lurking. It seems as though he's doing all the right things for now.

38COMMENTS
*** Going to wrap this up with a couple of notes on the secondary. I said in Dawg Treats on Monday that Mark Webb has a clear lead at the STAR/nickel position and in checking with sources today, I feel even more confident in saying that. Those same sources also indicated that Divaad Wilson is still having a very good camp.

I also had a source tell me that they don't know how UGA keeps Lewis Cine off the field. He's still not completely comfortable with the defense just yet and makes some mental errors, but it's mind-blowing at times how much ground he can cover at safety. That same source also told me that he has shown some leadership ability early on. He's not afraid to speak up despite not being a vocal guy by nature.

10508 cardo jr ln 10508 cardo jr ln
This is the latest from the Athletic (from Aug. 2)
ATHENS, Ga. — Georgia media members were handed brand new, up-to-the-minute rosters as they went to the practice field Friday. And yet minutes later, when the wide receiver wearing No. 83 made an impressive catch near the sideline – jumping up and then landing both feet back in bounds – it only created confusion: There was no No. 83 on the roster. Was the roster so good that a last-minute walk-on was out here making great catches?

Not really. As it turned out, that was George Pickens, the five-star freshman, who had switched from No. 1 to No. 83 since the rosters were printed. And the very next time Pickens was thrown a pass, a simple slant over the middle, he dropped it.

“Ahhhhh!” Pickens yelled out, as he grabbed his helmet with both hands.

It showed either the rust of a first practice, or the growing pains that will come with great talent, or perhaps both. What is evident, as one scanned the field and saw five-stars with nearly every position group (tight end the only exception) is that this Georgia football team, practicing in its full iteration for the first time, could be the most talented in program history.

As Monty Rice, the junior inside linebacker, put it: “We got a lot of different dudes at different positions that can help this team out.”

That’s the main storyline right now for this Georgia team: The pure talent level. The overhanging question for this season can’t be answered until at least early December. First, the Bulldogs have to get there, as Kirby Smart and his players will take pains to point out. And so preseason practice began Friday, with no quarterback controversy or other major storylines, but plenty of other questions and issues to be resolved. Here’s what I can pass on after speaking to Smart, players and watching about 15 minutes of practice:

The receivers look good, at least
Pickens and graduate transfer Lawrence Cager both fill out a uniform well, joining redshirt sophomore Matt Landers to form a trio of 6-foot-5 targets for Jake Fromm. And freshman Dominick Blaylock, who made a nice reaching catch Friday, comes with speed and smarts along with his 6-foot frame.

Another intriguing sign was Demetris Robertson working first in the slot, ahead of redshirt freshman Kearis Jackson and Blaylock. It may not stay that way, but it’s a positive early sign for Robertson, who could by himself erase a lot of concerns about the unit. (Tyler Simmons, the team’s leading returning wide receiver with all of nine catches last year, was also working first team at one of the two outside spots.)

There are a lot of intangible questions to be answered with this very young and unproven group, from blocking to route-running to consistently catching the ball. But their pure talent level isn’t up for debate. Fromm, who said he’s been doing his best to form a rapport with the new guys, also acknowledged that on some level football is just football.

“They’ve played it since they were seven, too,” Fromm said. “At the end of the day, it’s just a football. You throw it and they catch it and make plays.”

Regarding Zamir White: ‘We’re in for a show’
White was working without a brace on either knee, both of which have required surgery over the last two years. And the plan, Smart said earlier in the day, was to treat the redshirt freshman “just like every other back” during practice, although that comes with a slight caveat: Georgia won’t practice with live contact until the first scrimmage, expected to be Aug. 10.

Still, there was a sense that White is really back now. He was already in good shape this spring but the team proceeded cautiously with him. Now they’re seeing what he can do.

“I was just talking to him about 20 minutes ago, he’s just so happy to play football again,” D’Andre Swift said Friday afternoon. “I asked him: ‘Are you ready? You all right?’ He was like: ‘Yeah I’m good, I’m ready, it just feels so good to be back.’”

Rice, who will be facing White on the other side of the field during offense-defense drills, was bullish.

“Zamir is a workhorse. In practice and camp it’s going to show what he has done, and what he has overcome,” Rice said, adding: “We’re in for a show.”

Monty Rice and his role
Speaking of Rice, he’s emerging as one of the focal points of this year’s defense. The junior was one of the four players selected to speak to the media Friday, and he’s coming off a season in which he was set to lead the team in tackles before injuries intervened.

Rice hurt his foot before Georgia’s game against UMass and ended up missing the rest of the season, including the SEC championship and Sugar Bowl.

“I feel like it was God’s way of telling me to slow down,” said Rice, who nonetheless has also been doing maintenance and preventive work in the offseason: Yoga, stretching, range of motion exercises, hot and cold tub.

Rice is going to have competition behind him, especially freshman Nakobe Dean, another one of those five-stars. But if Rice can stay healthy, he may be a sleeper All-SEC candidate.

“My expectation is that he leads our defense, that he gives us all he’s got and he competes and he teaches the younger players,” Smart said.

D’Wan Mathis practices
There was some question whether Mathis, the freshman quarterback, would be able to play this year after undergoing surgery for a brain cyst during the summer. But Mathis was in uniform and throwing to receivers Friday.

Mathis is not fully cleared but will be able to do passing and individual drills.

“Things that we know that he can be safe, and not take hit,” Smart said.

It could still be a redshirt season for Mathis, especially with the four-game rule. Stetson Bennett appears entrenched as the main backup to Fromm, and the team has also added a couple more walk-on quarterbacks: Freshman Nathan Priestley from Los Angeles, Calif., and Jes Sutherland, a graduate transfer from Samford, has joined the team as a walk-on. (Sutherland appeared in two games last year at Samford, an FCS school.) John Seter, a redshirt sophomore from Athens, also remains with the team.

How the offensive line is starting
The first team looks the same as it did to finish the spring: (left to right) Andrew Thomas, Solomon Kindley, Trey Hill, Ben Cleveland and Isaiah Wilson.

The more intriguing development was after that: Cade Mays was getting more than a few reps at center. Mays started as a true freshman last year at both tackle and guard. It’s not clear whether this was about turning Mays into a super-sub or pushing Hill. (My guess would be the former.)

What Kirby Smart has learned
That was what Smart was asked as he enters his fourth season as Georgia’s head coach, and he gave a quick answer:

“Don’t’ sweat the little things,” he said. “At the end of the day, there are a lot of big things going on. They are a lot more important than the little things and don’t sweat them, and whatever it is, keep moving because it will pass.”

What are some of the little things? Smart said he didn’t know, or at least he wouldn’t say, other than to point out the obvious: He’s still very much hands-on.

“There’s a lot of details I still really focus on because I like to,” he said.

And finally …
A few more bullet-point observations and thoughts:

– Jarvis Jones, the two-time All-American now back at Georgia as a student assistant, was working with the outside linebackers. Not a bad guy to have trying to coach up a few of those highly-talented players – including Walter Grant, who worked some with the tailbacks this spring but is back with the outside linebackers.

– Nick Williams, another Georgia defensive player earlier this decade, was working with the defensive linemen in his new role as a graduate assistant. Williams has been back with the team for a couple of years now, previously as a student assistant. He played defensive back at Georgia, then worked with the linebackers last year and is now with the defensive line. That’s a budding résumé for a young coach.

– James Cook definitely looks bigger than he did last year when he was a speedy but seemingly undersized freshman tailback. “We think he’s one of our most explosive players,” Smart said of Cook.

– Rodrigo Blankenship had an interesting answer when asked if he was working on anything new with his kickoffs: “Coach (Scott) Fountain, even going back to the spring, has talked about trying to diversify my portfolio with kickoffs. So I’m definitely going to be trying to work on some special kickoffs this season.”

– Smart sounded pretty confident about his secondary, even with Deandre Baker no longer around to clamp down on his side of the field. It’s not that inexperienced, as Smart pointed out: “The group of men that we went out there in the bowl game with is the group we’re playing with now. … We were really young I felt like last year in the secondary, and now this year we have more experienced players and the best players are going to get to play.”

– Travon Walker, yet another five-star freshman, certainly doesn’t look as big as some of his fellow defensive lineman. (Walker is listed at 6-5 and 290 pounds.) But his weight does seem centered well, and his game seems reminiscent of Jonathan Ledbetter.

Rivals Report from today
Be sure to book your Georgia travel plans with FanPlus

It's Day 5 of Fall Camp and it's the hottest one yet as the Bulldogs donned the full pads for the first time this year.

Here's what we saw:

Let's start with the offense where we were able to see a period (approximately six minutes) of passing skel drills.
For those who wonder about such things, the starting group of wide receivers featured an interesting twist as Matt Landers worked with the first group, along with Tyler Simmons and Demetris Robertson in the slot. Robertson has been repping as the first team slot in each of the four days we've been allowed to watch.
Charlie Woerner was with the first team at tight end.
The second unit included Lawrence Cager, Trey Blount and Kearis Jackson, with John FitzPatrick at tight end?
George Pickens and Dominick Blaylock? They worked with the third unit along with Tommy Bush.
Although it may just be my imagination, there seemed to be more motion involved in regards to the wideouts and their routes. Jake Fromm, D'Wan Mathis and Stetson Bennett all made excellent throws.

...Ben Cleveland was seen getting what seemed to be a few more first-team reps at right guard, along with Cade Mays.
Freshman Clay Webb seems entrenched as the No 2 center behind starter Trey Hill.

...Mentioned before but bears repeating, running back Brian Herrien appears to be in the best shape of his career. The young man is, as they say, yoked

...Got our first look at Zamir White in pull pads and he certainly looks the part. Can't wait to see how he does in the days and weeks to come. Even more impressive is the fact he’s not wearing a knee brace.

...No, there was no sign of Brenton Cox in case anyone was wondering about some late reprieve. Adam Anderson, Robert Beal, Nolan Smith, Jermaine Johnson, Azeez Ojulari and Walter Grant continue to rep as the only outside linebackers so far.

...Saw freshman Tyrique Stevenson make a nice play on a ball during cornerback drills.

...When the defensive linemen go through drills, Justin Young, Malik Herring, Jordan Davis, Julian Rochester and Michael Barnett are the first six men on the field. Glean from that what you will.

...Can't swear that Nakobe Dean will be the first inside linebacker off the bench after Monty Rice and Tae Crowder, but he's practicing like it. Quay Walker and Channing Tindall (in no order) appear to be right behind, along with freshmen Rian Davis and Trezman Marshall.

From Patrick Garbin…

…With the team in full pads, the media caught a portion of period 2 and all of period 3 for a total of 7 to 8 minutes of viewing. For period 2, the quarterbacks alternated with James Cook taking snaps in a read-and-react drill. For both of his viewable reps, Jake Fromm handed the ball to Zamir White while Jes Sutherland was paired with D’Andre Swift. For his reps, Cook ran it approximately half the time and handed it to Kenny McIntosh the remaining reps. For both of his reps, Stetson Bennett kept the ball for a keeper. The redshirt sophomore, who was paired with Brian Herrien, was the lone quarterback during the entire drill to keep the ball and run with it.

…In a drill whereby the receivers were receiving passes at near-point-blank range, freshmen Makiya Tongue and George Pickens stood out. For what it’s worth this early on in fall camp, to me, both freshmen have looked really good overall in the early going.

…Another receiver who has impressed me thus far early on is Matt Landers. Not only does the redshirt sophomore look better physically since the spring, but in drills, he has consistently performed admirably—something which could not be said last March-April. During our viewing, and as Dash mentioned, Landers worked with the first team along with Tyler Simmons at the wideout positions, and Demetris Robertson in the slot. The No. 2 receivers appeared to be Lawrence Cager and Trey Blount out wide and Kearis Jackson in the slot.

…Limited to only five at the position for period 3—Kolby Wyatt, Peyton Mercer, Jarrett Freeland, Brett Seither, and Ryland Goede—tight ends coach Todd Hartley had his unit working with the blocking sled. Goede seemed to pack the most punch hitting the sled, whereas Seither was called out by Hartley on a couple of occasions for “coming in too high,” prompting the coach to say the true freshman would be “out [there] until dinner time” unless he improved his technique.

…The remaining tight ends for period 3 were working in a skeleton-like passing drill with all the quarterbacks and a portion of the running backs and receivers. Not surprisingly, Charlie Woerner was the top tight end, followed by John FitzPatrick. During the drill, I noticed Landers and Blount make excellent catches of poorly thrown balls. On the contrary, another media member and I agreed that Cager attempted to catch one particular pass one-handed, which he could’ve caught two-handed. The Miami transfer wound up dropping the pass, whereupon receivers coach Cortez Hankton lit into him.

During Monday’s interviews with offensive coordinator James Coley and defensive coordinator Dan Lanning, both assistants on more than one occasion reminded reporters there was only so much they could say about their players considering the Bulldogs have yet to don the full pads.

That should take place this afternoon, after satisfying the NCAA’s four-day acclimation period, which began with two days in helmets and shorts, followed by two days in shells (helmet and shoulder pads).

Still, there are some updates that we can offer.

Let’s start with the offense.

George Pickens looks fantastic but everyone noted he was wearing No. 83 instead of his preferred No. 1. He is going to have to earn back the right to wear No. 1 after losing the privilege before camp started. There is more to being a UGA football player than just doing what's required on the field. - Radi Nabulsi

● Not exactly breaking news, but coaches have been very pleased with what they’ve seen from Zamir White and are anxious to see him in full pads. Georgia will hold its first scrimmage Saturday, and White is expected to receive a few touches unless something changes. - Anthony Dasher

D’Andre Swift is healthier than he’s been in well over a year. As I mentioned the other day, he’s lost three pounds. While that may not seem like much, Swift insists he feels like a different player. - Anthony Dasher

Cade Mays, who continues to reps with the first team at right guard, is off to a great start and that’s why he’s practicing where he’s at. Ben Cleveland is also enjoying a strong camp, but Mays just seems to be asserting himself right now.- Anthony Dasher

● Had someone tell me that they thought Solomon Kindley will be an All-SEC performer this year. - Anthony Dasher

● Grad transfer Eli Wolf isn’t expected to beat out Charlie Woerner by any stretch, but coaches have been impressed with how well he seems to be picking up the system and could play a larger role than some envisioned. - Anthony Dasher

● Coley spoke to this Monday, but coaches have liked what they’ve seen in Lawrence Cager from the standpoint of diving into the Bulldogs’ offensive system, but also his willingness to mentor the younger receivers. - Anthony Dasher

Matt Landers – who had some memorable drops in G-Day – used the summer to catch untold number of passes to become more consistent. So far, the results have been better. - Anthony Dasher

Moving over to defense:

● Coaches love what they’re seeing from Quay Walker at middle linebacker, but just want him to develop more consistency. He’s working on it. - Anthony Dasher

● Although depth at outside linebacker isn’t a big concern in light of the Brenton Cox news, there’s still a chance coaches could slide a player from another position to help, although that decision has not yet been made. - Anthony Dasher

David Marshall and Mike Herring are both enjoying solid starts to their camps as the top two candidates at defensive end. - Anthony Dasher

● Cornerback Tyrique Stevenson is REALLY opening some eyes. Dan Lanning practically gushed about the freshman during Monday’s interview session. Could he be the next Deandre Baker? Some think so. - Anthony Dasher

● Otis Reese continues to push Richard LeCounte at safety and will play a lot. But right now, coaches have been impressed with LeCounte’s consistency and that’s the reason he continues to work with the first team. - Anthony Dasher

We mentioned this on the podcast but one of Georgia's defensive players recently told a friend that he never thought he would play with another linebacker like Roquan Smith. Yet now that players says he sees Roquan in the form of Nakobe Dean. - Radi Nabulsi

Eric Stokes has to be the most coachable kid in the world. He actually tells Charlton Warren what he did wrong before Warren can correct him. - Radi Nabulsi

Last edited:
The NCAA doesn't make a lick of sense :lol::lol:
the crappy part is that they don't have to provide justification for their decisions

Back
Top Bottom