OFFICIAL 2020 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

Who will the four teams in the College Football Playoff be?

• Alabama

Votes: 36 83.7%
  • Clemson

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • UGA

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • LSU

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Oklahoma

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • UF

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Ohio State

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Auburn

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Michigan

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Someone else

Votes: 17 39.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Put bread on it you coward

Interesting. You claim to be confident about Florida beating Georgia but you refuse to put bread on that one...

giphy.gif

Is Tennessee even going to win an SEC game? It be one thing if they lost to a good G5 or even FCS team, but Georgia State was awful last season.

Everybody is talking about Willie being a two and done, but this might be it for Pruitt.

Is Tennessee even going to win an SEC game? It be one thing if they lost to a good G5 or even FCS team, but Georgia State was awful last season.

Everybody is talking about Willie being a two and done, but this might be it for Pruitt.

First and foremost, Tennessee isn't getting rid of Jeremy Pruitt until, at the earliest, end of next season. He has a rebuilding job to do a Tennessee. The loss was alarming on many levels. First and foremost, they didn't look prepared and had no sense of urgency. They couldn't line up correctly and even when they were losing in the 4th quarter they didn't seem all that interested.

Secondly, there is nothing flooky about Ga St. winning. It wasn't like Tennessee turn the ball over 6 times were there were a lot of tipped balls or anything like that. They just dominated the line of scrimmage and ran for over 200 yards on an SEC defense.

Tennessee's big issue is that they have too many cooks in the kitchen. they have a poorly-run football program and a bad administration. Look at how they handle their coaching search, Jeremy Pruitt was their 8th choice after the Schianno revolt from the fans. The fans are quick to turn on the players as well, once Tennessee is down prior possession or to the fan start booing.

First and foremost, Tennessee isn't getting rid of Jeremy Pruitt until, at the earliest, end of next season. He has a rebuilding job to do a Tennessee. The loss was alarming on many levels. First and foremost, they didn't look prepared and had no sense of urgency. They couldn't line up correctly and even when they were losing in the 4th quarter they didn't seem all that interested.

Secondly, there is nothing flooky about Ga St. winning. It wasn't like Tennessee turn the ball over 6 times were there were a lot of tipped balls or anything like that. They just dominated the line of scrimmage and ran for over 200 yards on an SEC defense.

Tennessee's big issue is that they have too many cooks in the kitchen. they have a poorly-run football program and a bad administration. Look at how they handle their coaching search, Jeremy Pruitt was their 8th choice after the Schianno revolt from the fans. The fans are quick to turn on the players as well, once Tennessee is down prior possession or to the fan start booing.

Even if they win only 2 or 3 games? There is 0 chance they are getting anywhere close to bowl eligibility, and it's honestly not that hard to imagine them going 1-11 this season because BYU and UAB are no pushovers.

Even if they win only 2 or 3 games? There is 0 chance they are getting anywhere close to bowl eligibility, and it's honestly not that hard to imagine them going 1-11 this season because BYU and UAB are no pushovers.

Let's not take the transitive property too far here, just because they lost to GSU doesn't mean they'll lose to every team better than GSU, that's not how football works :lol:. Georgia State is the worst team Tennessee plays all year, but just because UT played poorly against them, doesn't mean they'll play poorly all season. Florida didn't go winless after they lost to Georgia Southern and LSU didn't go winless after they lost to Troy. I had them going 6-6 this season, I assumed they would improve. If they go 2-10 or 3-9 and go winless in conference, I still don't think they get rid of him (although he'd be on a Clay Helton-level hot seat in 2020).

If you fire a coach, you have to hire someone else. Who wants this job knowing that your leash that short? You need to give him at least 3 seasons before you can fully evaluate.

Remember, they're still paying Butch Jones a buyout, I don't think UT wants to be paying 2 former coaches and paying another coach.

Keep in mind they were the first team to legitimately lose to every SEC team the last time they played them

Let's not take the transitive property too far here, just because they lost to GSU doesn't mean they'll lose to every team better than GSU, that's not how football works :lol:. Georgia State is the worst team Tennessee plays all year, but just because UT played poorly against them, doesn't mean they'll play poorly all season. Florida didn't go winless after they lost to Georgia Southern and LSU didn't go winless after they lost to Troy. I had them going 6-6 this season, I assumed they would improve. If they go 2-10 or 3-9 and go winless in conference, I still don't think they get rid of him (although he'd be on a Clay Helton-level hot seat in 2020).

If you fire a coach, you have to hire someone else. Who wants this job knowing that your leash that short? You need to give him at least 3 seasons before you can fully evaluate.

Remember, they're still paying Butch Jones a buyout, I don't think UT wants to be paying 2 former coaches and paying another coach.

Troy went 11-2 that season, and UF's L to GASO was on SoCon Saturday before FSU. They were already 4-6 and had checked out mentally against an option team that was better than their record and had an NFL player at WB in Jerick McKinnon and a really good coach in Jeff Monken (if Rutgers is smart they hire him this off-season).

Upsets do happen in cfb, but when your an SEC team that recruits at a top 25 level (they are ranked 15th in 247's talent composite rankings) you should be able to roll the ball out and beat one of the worst teams in all of FBS in the first game of the season.

As you said Ga St's W was no fluke, and they didn't run a crazy unconventional offense or defense that UTk didn't know how to handle. They just outplayed them, which is an awful sign for Tennessee's future prospects under Pruitt.

They'll pay 3 coaches if things get embarrassing. You know how these SEC boosters are, they'll find the money.

Troy went 11-2 that season, and UF's L to GASO was on SoCon Saturday before FSU. They were already 4-6 and had checked out mentally against an option team that was better than their record and had an NFL player at WB in Jerick McKinnon and a really good coach in Jeff Monken (if Rutgers is smart they hire him this off-season).

Upsets do happen in cfb, but when your an SEC team that recruits at a top 25 level (they are ranked 15th in 247's talent composite rankings) you should be able to roll the ball out and beat one of the worst teams in all of FBS in the first game of the season.

As you said Ga St's W was no fluke, and they didn't run a crazy unconventional offense or defense that UTk didn't know how to handle. They just outplayed them, which is an awful sign for Tennessee's future prospects under Pruitt.

They'll pay 3 coaches if things get embarrassing. You know how these SEC boosters are, they'll find the money.

Ehhh we can agree to disagree. I don't see the Tennessee AD firing Pruitt even if the bottom falls out (2 or 3 win season) although I don't think it'll get that bad. I think they need more time for him to get "his guys" (aside: it's weird that the narrative is that Tennessee is a total rebuild when UT fans were bragging about their top 10 recruiting classes under Butch Jones, but whatever). Also, who would want this job? Unless this is a Jimbo Fisher situation and UT has a top candidate identified, why fire Pruitt? At that stage you're firing coaches, just to fire them.

That being said, the Tennessee administration has been known to be reactionary so who knows

Last edited:
Ehhh we can agree to disagree. I don't see the Tennessee AD firing Pruitt even if the bottom falls out (2 or 3 win season) although I don't think it'll get that bad. I think they need more time for him to get "his guys" (aside: it's weird that the narrative is that Tennessee is a total rebuild when UT fans were bragging about their top 10 recruiting classes under Butch Jones, but whatever). Also, who would want this job? Unless this is a Jimbo Fisher situation and UT has a top candidate identified, why fire Pruitt? At that stage you're firing coaches, just to fire them.

mike-leach-mustache.jpg

In all seriousness tho, I think an Ohio guy like Matt Campbell would take that job and you could get Ohio/MW kids to go there. It basically be like a souped up version of Kentucky.

I don't know how bad the gambling stuff is but Mike Norvell's name is going to get a lot of buzz if they win the AAC this season too.

mike-leach-mustache.jpg

In all seriousness tho, I think an Ohio guy like Matt Campbell would take that job and you could get Ohio/MW kids to go there. It basically be like a souped up version of Kentucky.

I don't know how bad the gambling stuff is but Mike Norvell's name is going to get a lot of buzz if they win the AAC this season too.

a lot of the Tennessee fans I know or lamenting the fact that they missed out on Mike Leach. I would have loved to see it as a Georgia fan but he would have been an unmitigated disaster at a program like Tennessee. He's not from the South and I don't think he has the CEO mentality you need to run a program like Tennessee. His stick can work at a school like Washington State that's remote and has a sleepy fan base but he'd be eaten alive at Tennessee.

Could you imagine any SEC coach tweeting about politics, conspiracy theories and all the other goofy press conference antics Leach does? His name is circulated around other big programs but I think he should stay where he is for his own sake. He's a great offensive mind but not built to run a top 10 program

Why do you have to have a CEO mentality as a HC to win at UT? Haven't heard that one before.

Why do you have to have a CEO mentality as a HC to win at UT? Haven't heard that one before.

When you run a top football program it's more than just X's and O's and coaching players. It's how you carry yourself on social media, at press conferences, etc. That's what I mean by being a CEO. It's about running the football program, not just coaching football. His lovable, goofy personality works at WSU, but I don't think it would work well at a school like Tennessee.

One thing that's very interesting to me about college football is how quickly narratives change. Coaches like Jim Tressell, Kirby Smart, Nick Saban and Urban Meyer have success early on opposing fan bases said "well when they got there there was already a lot of talent and all they had to do was them up" but when a school like Tennessee (who had three consecutive top 10 recruiting classes under Butch Jones) doesn't have success, all of a sudden the narrative is that the cupboards are bare and they need to rebuild

a lot of the Tennessee fans I know or lamenting the fact that they missed out on Mike Leach. I would have loved to see it as a Georgia fan but he would have been an unmitigated disaster at a program like Tennessee. He's not from the South and I don't think he has the CEO mentality you need to run a program like Tennessee. His stick can work at a school like Washington State that's remote and has a sleepy fan base but he'd be eaten alive at Tennessee.

Could you imagine any SEC coach tweeting about politics, conspiracy theories and all the other goofy press conference antics Leach does? His name is circulated around other big programs but I think he should stay where he is for his own sake. He's a great offensive mind but not built to run a top 10 program

Is Tennessee a top 10 program at this point? Maybe a top 10 "brand" but the days of them going into the Carolinas and Georgia and getting who they want because Clemson and UGA are asleep at the wheel are over.

All the goofy **** doesn't matter if you win games. Media members have been predicting his downfall for a while, but he just won 11 games after his starting QB committed suicide and his star DC left to be a position coach at OSU. The man can coach his *** off, and is great at hiring assistants. Who has a better coaching tree than Mike Leach?

Leach isn't from the south but he did spend time at Valdosta State and UK, he wouldn't be fish out of water. The guy is nuts and I'm sure is a daily headache to deal with but there is no doubt in my mind that if Tennessee hired him they'd at the very least be consistent top 25 program.

The ironic thing is that his stubbornness has given him a schematic advantage. No one runs the original old school Air Raid anymore, he's the last one.

Back
Top Bottom