OFFICIAL 2020 STIMULUS CHECK THREAD

Just did the application, took me 5 minutes. It's a few check boxes.. 5 minutes for the potential to get 5k/15k is very minimal effort for free $ imo. I encourage everyone who is eligible to try/apply. There are several rounds and 3 million going out
I didn't say the app was hard just said the funds aren't as accessible as something like the SBA grant. Worth the time to submit just don't have the same expectations as the national grant.

Just did the application, took me 5 minutes. It's a few check boxes.. 5 minutes for the potential to get 5k/15k is very minimal effort for free $ imo. I encourage everyone who is eligible to try/apply. There are several rounds and 3 million going out

tempted to apply. Im living in Texas but I never transferred my id or anything over so all my information is still California information. eBay reselling worked for the sba. I wonder if it’ll work again.

Thanks to that la county link, I just applied to my state small business 10k grant... doubt I’ll get the little amount I ask for but don’t hurt to try. 😂, don’t come at me feds, I’m a legit grailed seller

Last edited:
Libs always wanna take money away from me to pay broke boi’s. Trump doesn’t believe in handouts and I will refuse to take one.

Also, anyone know where I can cop a Jon Isaac Jets jersey?

Now if black folk are scared to vote in a pandemic, the best option would be voting by mail. One party wants to ensure people can do this in the fall by bailing out the USPS (which is only in trouble because of a stupid law the GOP forced through), the other side is trying its best to sabotage the vote by mail system because they was to keep power.

Your example of limiting vote by mail as a method of voter suppression to excuse the lack of reform by the USPS is disingenuous. Even the government’s own auditors have pointed out the obvious problems. USPS hasn’t even laid out the bare minimum financial disclosures to assess the systemic issues. And to go all in on mail in ballots without precautions and guidelines, thinking this method solves disenfranchisement overlooks well documented fraud and abuse.

I enjoy your posts as well thought out points for discussion.
But Economists also play partisan politics.

Your example of limiting vote by mail as a method of voter suppression to excuse the lack of reform by the USPS is disingenuous. Even the government’s own auditors have pointed out the obvious problems. USPS hasn’t even laid out the bare minimum financial disclosures to assess the systemic issues. And to go all in on mail in ballots without precautions and guidelines, thinking this method solves disenfranchisement overlooks well documented fraud and abuse.

I enjoy your posts as well thought out points for discussion.
But Economists also play partisan politics.

Excuse me but what is this post suppose to show, especially in regards to me being disingenuous? Because I missed it.

First off my argument is that people are scared to go to the polls during a pandemic, a pandemic that is especially hard on black communities. Furthermore, since polling places depend on volunteers, volunteers that tend to me much older, polling places during primaries have been closed causing people to wait in line for hours in some cases to cast a vote. Black Americans esepcially in urban areas already face longer wait times (partly because of voter suppression efforts). That wait puts them in greater danger of catching covid. Currently the main (and I believe only) alternative to voting in person is to vote my mail. So to guarantee people safe access to the ballot, we should use to method we already use when people can't make it to the polls, voting by mail. Millions of absentee ballots are cast every election, some states already have widespread vote by mail. I am saying they need to expand this policy because more people want to vote safely this fall. Please point out want fraud and abuse that has affected all the millions of ballots we already deliver? A system the President of the United States has taken advantage of in the past numerous times. You make this claim but fail to make any argument that some fraud and corruption will sabotage expanding vote by mail.

Second, the corrupt racist President right now is tweeting and ranting about how vote-by-mail will cause mass voter fraud when there is zero evidence of that. Even more idiotic, he claims to be cool with absentee ballots but not mail in ballots. The GOP engages is systemic voter suppression targeting demographics that tend to vote Democratic. This is well documented. Furthermore, Biden is predicted to have a advantage in mail in ballots....
https://emersonpolling.reportablene...port-nationwide-mask-mandate-in-public-spaces

bHTi11xmQemCZMmmDNNo

So I am being disingenuous by suggesting a party (and its Leader) that targets voter suppression efforts and groups that vote Democratic, is taking issue with vote-by-mail because mail voters are a group that might lend Democratic in the fall. Also, Republicans perform better in low turnout elections. So please, I am not just making this stuff up, the GOP deserves zero benefit of the doubt.

The right-wing argument against the Post Office follows the same things as the right wing argument against most government infrastructure. They handicap the policy during budget talks, dysfunction happens, then they point to that dysfunction as proof of failed institution but know one talks about the injury they inflicted on the policy/program/department. They run the same game with the ACA and IRS.

Are far as your links, what exactly should I take away from them, there are budgetary problems, it has been mismanaged? Ok I can concede those points to a degree. But the economist in me would want to know more info, like maybe if there was a law passed that put a ridiculous budgetary requirement on the agency, which in turn leads to their issues. Oh yeah, there is....

https://theweek.com/articles/767184/how-george-bush-broke-post-office

It is even more laughable that the GOP and the Trump administration can give out billions in handouts in bailouts money, want to avoid being held accountable to where the money is going, but they are against subsidizing the Post Office especially through the election to make sure people have access to the ballot safely.

So what partisan politics I'm I playing exactly? Commenting on a reality that paints the GOP in a bad light?

Last edited:
Excuse me but what is this post suppose to show, especially in regards to me being disingenuous. Because I missed it.

First off my argument is that people are scared to go to the polls during a pandemic, a pandemic that is especially hard on black communities. Furthermore, since polling places depend on volunteers, volunteers that tend to me much older, polling places during primaries have been closed causing people to wait in line for hours in some cases to cast a vote. Black Americans esepcially in urban areas already face longer wait times (partly because of voter suppression efforts). That wait puts them in greater danger of catching covid. Currently the main (and I believe only) alternative to voting in person is to vote my mail. So to guarantee people safe access to the ballot, we should use to method we already use when people can't make it to the polls, voting by mail. Millions of absentee ballots are cast every election, some states already have widespread vote by mail. I am saying they need to expand this policy because more people want to vote safely this fall. Please point out want fraud and abuse that has affected all the millions of ballots we already deliver? A system the President of the United States has taken advantage of in the past numerous times. You make this claim but fail to make any argument that some fraud and corruption will sabotage expanding vote by mail.

Second, the corrupt racist President right now is tweeting and ranting about how vote-by-mail will cause mass voter fraud when there is zero evidence of that. Even more idiotic, he claims to be cool with absentee ballots but not mail in ballots. The GOP engages is systemic voter suppression targeting demographics that tend to vote Democratic. This is well documented. Furthermore, Biden is predicted to have a advantage in mail in ballots....
https://emersonpolling.reportablene...port-nationwide-mask-mandate-in-public-spaces

bHTi11xmQemCZMmmDNNo

So I am being disingenuous by suggesting a party (and its Leader) that targets voter suppression efforts and groups that vote Democratic, is taking issue with vote-by-mail because mail voters are a group that might lend Democratic in the fall. Also, Republicans perform better in low turnout elections. So please, I am not just making this stuff up, the GOP deserves zero benefit of the doubt.

The right-wing argument against the Post Office follows the same things as the right wing argument against most government infrastructure. They handicap the policy during budget talks, dysfunction happens, then they point to that dysfunction as proof of failed institution but know one talks about the injury they inflicted on the policy/program/department. They run the same game with the ACA and IRS.

Are far as your links, what exactly should I take away from them, there are budgetary problems, it has been mismanaged? Ok I can concede those points to a degree. But the economist in me would want to know more info, like maybe if there was a law passed that put a ridiculous budgetary requirement on the agency, which in turn leads to their issues. Oh yeah, there is....

It is even more laughable that the GOP and the Trump administration can give out billions in handouts in bailouts money, want to avoid being held accountable to where the money is going, but they are against subsidizing the Post Office especially through the election to make sure people have access to the ballot safely.

So what partisan politics I'm I playing exactly? Commenting on a reality that paints the GOP in a bad light?

see i like when u do this
showing examples
and proof of why u feel how u feel
was i not worthy enough of that respect
to just call my post trash and move on
do u not respect me enough
to give me that proper respect???

see i like when u do this
showing examples
and proof of why u feel how u feel
was i not worthy enough of that respect
to just call my post trash and move on
do u not respect me enough
to give me that proper respect???
I apologize for me previous behavior

Kings need to uplift one another up, not tear them down

I will try to do better in the future, especially when we have disagreements.

Let's get pass this, famb.

Excuse me but what is this post suppose to show, especially in regards to me being disingenuous? Because I missed it.

bHTi11xmQemCZMmmDNNo

You’re combining in multi important issues into one big mess. It’s not just a GOP problem. Multi decades of pricing mistakes, bloated pension/financial obligations and lower demand all figure into the mix in regards to USPS. The GAO article gave a simplified but detailed explanation if you read the article. The Politico editorial even gave good ideas for a fix.

And before we really have people roll their eyes to back of their heads with tangent points, some obvious needs to be addressed if going all in on vote by mail.
-Outdated bloated inaccurate voter rolls.

-Actual instances of documented voter fraud database.

-what happens to mailed ballots. This is one mail box in one apartment complex in one city.

-voter registration schemes

Sidenote:
I’ve voted in every single election for multi decades since eligibility except for one non presidential election year. And my first gen Baby Boomer Parents have voted in every single Presidential election for multi decades since eligibility. So my concerns for the election process come from a sincere place.

You’re from an island in the West Indies. I’m from an island in the Pacific Rim. What is interesting to me all this time coming across your posts is why you take such a one sided partisan stand across all positions. Good discussion though.

You’re combining in multi important issues into one big mess. It’s not just a GOP problem. Multi decades of pricing mistakes, bloated pension/financial obligations and lower demand all figure into the mix in regards to USPS. The GAO article gave a simplified but detailed explanation if you read the article. The Politico editorial even gave good ideas for a fix.

And before we really have people roll their eyes to back of their heads with tangent points, some obvious needs to be addressed if going all in on vote by mail.
-Outdated bloated inaccurate voter rolls.

-Actual instances of documented voter fraud database.

-what happens to mailed ballots. This is one mail box in one apartment complex in one city.

-voter registration schemes

Sidenote:
I’ve voted in every single election for multi decades since eligibility except for one non presidential election year. And my first gen Baby Boomer Parents have voted in every single Presidential election for multi decades since eligibility. So my concerns for the election process come from a sincere place.

You’re from an island in the West Indies. I’m from an island in the Pacific Rim. What is interesting to me all this time coming across your posts is why you take such a one sided partisan stand across all positions. Good discussion though.

-I didn't combine anything into a big mess, I pointed out a major flaw in your argument about the criticism of the USPS. If you want to handwave a major piece of legislation that handicaps the USPS, go ahead, but I am not gonna respect such an argument. Our article suggest austerity for the Postal Service but doesn't suggests we rollback the major piece of legislation hurting their bottom line. Like I said, this is the same ole cut and complain tactics I heard all the time from libertarian economist over and over. It is inherently is a disingenuous argument.

Furthemore, you are trying to make a reach to combine to issues. You claim that the USPS dysfunction will lead to voter fraud, yet you have no evidence supporting that claim. In one hand you have the USPS budgetary shortfalls in the other hand you have instances of problems with voting in America (some not even that big of an issue but I will cover that later), and then without a cogent argument to want people to believe one causes the other, not on a solid track record of it happening in the past, not on a consensus from experts, just an assumption that it will happen.

Furthermore, you present zero alternative of how people will vote safety in the middle of a global pandemic. Which is still major overarching issues to all of this.

-Dude just say you are Republican/conservative (or better yet an "independent" that sees both sides :lol:) and you don't like my politics. And we can end it here.

Because right now you are just throwing out a much of **** in hopes something sticks.

You have not put forward a cogent argument regarding this issues, nor have your shown that bailing out the post office for them to handle the surge in mail will be a net negative. Again, millions of ballots are cast by mail every election, where is the rampant voter fraud that call into question the results of an election? Colorado, Hawaii, Oregon, Utah, and Washington all have a vote by mail system, where is the rampant voter fraud in those states? The president has used the vote by mail system for years. He is only against it now because he thinks it might cost him the election. Your argument impliticity demands I view Trump as a good actor concerned about voter fraud. Which is a massive assumption to make.

- As a side note, some of the major instances of voter fraud recently have been carried out to help Republicans. See NC's midterm election. And again, the GOP and only the GOP engages in voter suppression, ESPECIALLY OF BLACK AMERICANS. So forgive me if they don't get the benefit of the doubt from me.

Economist in me again: if it is gonna be such a problem nationwide, then the problems should be prevalent in those states right now. So relevant it might swing and election. We have viable samples to perform an analysis on because of vote by mail states, and those samples say you are wrong.

Like even the examples you cite, none of them affected the actual outcome of the election. They were all caught before hand. So that actually uncuts your argument, because it points to the system being able to catch cheaters. The there being more registered voters than living adults is normal, it makes sense it is that way. People die quicker that rolls are updated, people move and re register creating duplicates. People forget they are registered because they haven't voted in a while. And if you want to bring up voter rolls, I suggest you look into how Republicans purge roller rolls in an attempt to disportionately knock black people off them.

My stances are motivated by education, professional training, research, life experiences, and observable reality. I am a professional economist so I spend a lot my days reading economic research. Anyone in the political thread will tell you have criticize people from all over the political spectrum. However, I am not gonna sugar coat conservative nonsense and GOP buffoonery. Most of my family support the conservative party back home, and nearly all of them support the Democratic Party in America. We all gave the GOP a fair chance for out votes, we all saw they were hostile to our existence in this country as immigrants and black people, so they don't get our votes or support. It is that simple. Given your background, you are free to make a different decision.

I while I assume you are trying to give me a compliment, it is really annoying when people on here want to compliment my post or how smart I come off, then police the content of said post. Or act like the just can't understand why I hold the views I hold. Like someone respects me enough to appreciate my post, but not enough to accept I don't see the world like they would want me too. I have heard that **** for years on NT, and quite frankly it is tiring. I assume you mean well, but at the end of the day, we just don't see the world the same.

But again, we can just end this here. We disagree fine, but miss me with the accusation of being disingenuous.

Last edited:
Someone is being disingenuous, but it’s not Rusty.

Did you even read what you posted? Almost none of it is relevant to voting by mail for the presidential election. Some guys paid the homeless to SIGN A PETITION????? Seriously, THAT is relevant? Come on.

Please tell us a realistic safer option (health-wise and free from fraud) than voting by mail?

Were you concerned about this in the past, or did you all of a sudden care deeply about it now because someone convinced you it’s a big issue?

What about issues with voting machines? Are you passionate about those issues? Neither voting method is a big problem imo, but I hope you’re consistent at least.

-I didn't combine anything into a big mess, I pointed out a major flaw in your argument about the criticism of the USPS. If you want to handwave a major piece of legislation that handicaps the USPS, go ahead, but I am not gonna respect such an argument. Our article suggest austerity for the Postal Service but doesn't suggests we rollback the major piece of legislation hurting their bottom line. Like I said, this is the same ole cut and complain tactics I heard all the time from libertarian economist over and over. It is inherently is a disingenuous argument.

Furthermore, you present zero alternative of how people will vote safety in the middle of a global pandemic.

-Dude just say you are Republican/conservative (or better yet an "independent" that sees both sides :lol:) and you don't like my politics. And we can end it here.

Because right now you are just throwing out a much of **** in hopes it backs up what is at best conjecture.

You have not put forward a cogent argument regarding this issues, nor have your shown that bailing out the post office for them to handle the surge in mail will be a net negative. Again, millions of ballots are cast by mail every election, where is the rampant voter fraud that call into question the results of an election? Colorado, Hawaii, Oregon, Utah, and Washington all have a vote by mail system, where is the rampant voter fraud in those states? The president has used the vote by mail system for years. He is only against it now because he thinks it might cost him the election. Your argument impliticity demands I view Trump as a good actor concerned about voter fraud. Which is a massive assumption to make.

- As a side note, some of the major instances of voter fraud recently have been carried out to help Republicans. See NC's midterm election. And again, the GOP and only the GOP engages in voter suppression, ESPECIALLY OF BLACK AMERICANS. So forgive me if they don't get the benefit of the doubt from me.

Economist in me again: if it is gonna be such a problem nationwide, then the problems should be prevalent in those states right now. So relevant it might swing and election. We have viable samples to perform an analysis on because of vote by mail states, and those samples say you are wrong.

Like even the examples you cite, none of them affected the actual outcome of the election. They were all caught before hand. So that actually uncuts your argument, because it points to the system being able to catch cheaters. The there being more registered voters than living adults is normal, it makes sense it is that way. People die quicker that rolls are updated, people move and re register creating duplicates. People forget they are registered because they haven't voted in a while. And if you want to bring up voter rolls, I suggest you look into how Republicans purge roller rolls in an attempt to disportionately knock black people off them.

My stances are motivated by education, professional training, research, life experiences, and observable reality. I am a professional economist so I spend a lot my days reading economic research. Anyone in the political thread will tell you have criticize people from all over the political spectrum. However, I am not gonna sugar coat conservative nonsense and GOP buffoonery. Most of my family support the conservative party back home, and nearly all of them support the Democratic Party in America. We all gave the GOP a fair chance for out votes, we all saw they were hostile to our existence in this country as immigrants and black people, so they don't get our votes or support. It is that simple. Given your background, you are free to make a different decision.

I while I assume you are trying to give me a compliment, it is really annoying when people on here want to compliment my post or how smart I come off, then police the content of said post. Or act like the just can't understand why I hold the views I hold. Like someone respects me enough to appreciate my post, but not enough to accept I don't see the world like they would want me too. I have heard that **** for years on NT, and quite frankly it is tiring. I assume you mean well, but at the end of the day, we just don't see the world the same.

But again, we can just end this here. We disagree fine, but miss me with the accusation of being disingenuous.

Before you feel the need to write another full screen response, a couple of obvious things to keep in mind:
-my posts about the USPS and even vote by mail doesn’t mean I’m against their existence and use. Read your article links. We are both talking about the fact that there are problems and issues to be answered. That’s all.
-how and who you vote is a very personal decision. Not my business. My reaction is how your posts can come across as a straight down from National to Local single party vote. That was the interesting point.

Before you feel the need to write another full screen response, a couple of obvious things to keep in mind:
-my posts about the USPS and even vote by mail doesn’t mean I’m against their existence and use. Read your article links. We are both talking about the fact that there are problems and issues to be answered. That’s all.
-how and who you vote is a very personal decision. Not my business. My reaction is how your posts can come across as a straight down from National to Local single party vote. That was the interesting point.
-So you are not against voting by mail. You just brought up the USPS budgetary issues as what, a red herring?

-Well you have you answer. My voting patterns or allegiance to a political party doesn't motivate my views on the issues. My views on the issues motivate my votes. I do my research, there is nothing interesting about that.

Someone is being disingenuous, but it’s not Rusty.

Did you even read what you posted? Almost none of it is relevant to voting by mail for the presidential election. Some guys paid the homeless to SIGN A PETITION????? Seriously, THAT is relevant? Come on.

Please tell us a realistic safer option (health-wise and free from fraud) than voting by mail?

Were you concerned about this in the past, or did you all of a sudden care deeply about it now because someone convinced you it’s a big issue?

What about issues with voting machines? Are you passionate about those issues? Neither voting method is a big problem imo, but I hope you’re consistent at least.

Read the article again. The LA guys were also convicted of voter registration fraud by forging signatures. Not sure why you feel the need to jump in with tangent questions, but I did answer his questions in last previous post.
Voting fraud has been minimal but has occurred longer than you and I have alive. It’s a never ending issue with problems that still need to be addressed. Never said I was against the existence and use of USPS and vote by mail.
Regarding your last question about voting machines. Yes vote machines can break down. I’d be more concerned if there were enough polling places.

-So you are not against voting by mail. You just brought up the USPS budgetary issues as what, a red herring?

-Well you have you answer. My voting patterns or allegiance to a political party doesn't motivate my views on the issues. My views on the issues motivate my votes. I do my research, there is nothing interesting about that.

-I read your initial post as bringing together USPS problems, along with voter disenfranchisement and vote by mail. My point was that USPS problems still needed to be fixed to even successfully handle going all in on vote by mail.
-Good to know. Cause over the decades, going straight down the party line from top to bottom really not my ideal preferred method.

I read the article. They didn't give much details to this "registration of a non-existent person." Is that how they were caught?

There are numerous safety guards in place to help make voting by mail safe and secure. I jumped in because you called Rusty disingenuous, when it's clear as day that you're the one being disingenuous.

I'll state the facts: Voting fraud is NOT an issue that is statistically significant in our country, so NO it does NOT need to be addressed any more than it already has. Creating this false narrative that it is a big issue is a disgusting ploy by the president to try and restrict people from voting. You pretending that it's a big issue is disingenuous. Stop.

Back
Top Bottom