OFFICIAL 2020 STIMULUS CHECK THREAD

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cn...-bipartisan-relief-bill-will-be-released.html

The bipartisan proposal does not include a second $1,200 check.

The proposal would extend provisions to expand unemployment insurance set to expire the day after Christmas. If those lapse, about 12 million people would lose jobless benefits. The plan would add a $300 per week federal jobless benefit supplement.

It would temporarily extend an eviction moratorium and fund rental payment assistance. The measure would also put $6 billion into vaccine distribution. It would also add funds for schools and the transportation sector.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/bernie-sanders-congress-cannot-go-home-1200-stimulus-checks-2020-12?amp

• Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont on Monday reiterated his urgent call to include direct payments to Americans in the next stimulus package.
  • "Congress cannot go home for the Christmas holidays until we pass legislation which provides a $1,200 direct payment to working class adults, $2,400 for couples, and a $500 payment to their children," he tweeted.
  • "This is what Democrats and Republicans did unanimously in March through the CARES Act," he added. "This is what we have to do today."
  • Despite calls from Sanders and others — including some Republicans like Sen. Josh Hawley of Missouri — direct payments are not part of the compromise package being put forward in Congress during the lame-duck session.

Meanwhile Trump & Pelosi are too busy to even bother I guess. 45's golf course and Pelosi's hair salon are doing things.

Last edited:
There's not gonna be any direct payments to people.

How many of these folks who vote on such measures have to worry about paying bills/rent? None. That's how many. They're already set for life. They don't care (most of them) nor are they in a hurry to get a damn thing done. The average American can go F themselves as far as they're concerned.

I say off with their heads.

Last edited:
okay so lemme get this straight: they want to temporarily push off the rent people haven't been paying for the last 3-6 months for...another month...WHILE the entire seasonal shipping and service market evaporates??

also, this other minor stuff:

extra unemployment???

what about everybody in the service industry that had to take an hour cut? still employed! bills the same size!

what about people that can´t even get their rightful regular unemployment for whatever reason?

what about high school grads who can´t go to college and never got a job?

what about all the stay-at-home mothers?

they don´t need money to be alive?

just **** these hundreds of thousands of people?

idk man I stood 4 hours in a food line last week just to get a clear picture of what it looks like out here.

that ain´t gonna cut it, not even kinda.

okay so lemme get this straight: they want to temporarily push off the rent people haven't been paying for the last 3-6 months for...another month...WHILE the entire seasonal shipping and service market evaporates??

also, this other minor stuff:

idk man I stood 4 hours in a food line last week just to get a clear picture of what it looks like out here.

that ain´t gonna cut it, not even kinda.

Not even to mention the senior citizens like: My grandad (84) can't drive, read, or use a snartphone. Grandmother (81) legally blind, can't see to read or drive, and struggles with her iPhone1 still. My other Grandmother (86) lives in the country, and can't drive anymore the closest grocery store to her is 27 miles away. My (68) year old dad disabled, shouldn't be driving, they can't go to food banks or order instacrt since March I've been helping support them as much as I could and grocery shop for them at least twice a week. Government just content to let them roll over dead? They need things just like we do. sad thing is the ones making the calls on these bills are in my peoples age bracket, can't they realize how hard it is for them and the people who have to make even more extra time to take care of them? I hope these "decision makers" die a slow lonely death.

Not even to mention the senior citizens like: My grandad (84) can't drive, read, or use a snartphone. Grandmother (81) legally blind, can't see to read or drive, and struggles with her iPhone1 still. My other Grandmother (86) lives in the country, and can't drive anymore the closest grocery store to her is 27 miles away. My (68) year old dad disabled, shouldn't be driving, they can't go to food banks or order instacrt since March I've been helping support them as much as I could and grocery shop for them at least twice a week. Government just content to let them roll over dead? They need things just like we do. sad thing is the ones making the calls on these bills are in my peoples age bracket, can't they realize how hard it is for them and the people who have to make even more extra time to take care of them? I hope these "decision makers" die a slow lonely death.

appreciate the added perspective...a lot of older folks are absolutely being thrown to the wolves with all this.

it's a total lack of compassion, just a willful lack of what makes us human and worthy of regard.

talking to people, more and more are ****ing furious...and it's easy to see why.

dangerous game to play with The People.

appreciate the added perspective...a lot of older folks are absolutely being thrown to the wolves with all this.

it's a total lack of compassion, just a willful lack of what makes us human and worthy of regard.

talking to people, more and more are ****ing furious...and it's easy to see why.

dangerous game to play with The People.

Obviously the stimulus aid should be the first order of business. These back and forth games they're playing are messing with people's heads and emotions too. I have made it work throughout this, its been hard but I've made it work. I've got to say these last 4 or 5 months have been the most stressful times I've encountered in my 35 yrs here. Not knowing if ill wake up to stimulus news, being passed or not. By the last 2 weeks of each month I'm literally hitting coinstar just to make sure I can eat. Not being able to plan further than a few days ahead is killing me, if they're not going to pass something just come out and say it. So people can explore other options, this back and forth stuff needs to STOP! Its affecting people's mental health.

“We've had a Christmas miracle occur in Washington,” said Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME), who supports both bills. “I want to thank my Democratic and Republican colleagues in the Senate for working so hard to bring us to this day.”

Christmas Miracle my @ $ $ this is Christmas bare minimum...
https://money.yahoo.com/bipartisan-group-splits-stimulus-220109280.html

Neither proposal includes a second round of stimulus checks, a provision supported by Democrats, Republicans and the White House in earlier negotiations.

Let me guess :
Check for 800 or less
Extra unemployment at 250 a week
Extended unemployment till March
And bail outs galore

will they push the unemployment out for the gig workers and 1099 contractors too? that's one of the bigger questions

I wonder if everyone gets it like last time. I’m not laid off from Covid but still got it.

will they push the unemployment out for the gig workers and 1099 contractors too? that's one of the bigger questions

Doesn't sound like it, PUA sounds like it will get extended by at least another month, or three months for now. The way I understand it was they could extend unemployment OR give stimulus checks not both 🤷‍♂️. That's part of the compromise they're saying they're making. This stuff changes everyday, so who knows tomorrow...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cn...itics/stimulus-negotiations-latest/index.html

Lawmakers planning to unveil government funding bill

House and Senate appropriators are planning to unveil a $1.4 trillion spending bill Tuesday to fund federal agencies until the end of September 2021, which leaves little time before the Friday deadline for what's expected to be a massive package to pass both chambers.

If lawmakers manage to get the colossal legislation out the door Tuesday, then just as important as its funding provisions will be whether or not it includes pandemic relief. If it does, that would signal that a deal with buy-in from congressional leaders has been brokered and votes in the House and Senate can be teed up for later in the week to get it to the President's desk. (They still would need cooperation from all senators to get the bill quickly passed.)

If a sweeping government funding bill is released without pandemic relief, that would spell serious trouble for the effort to pass Covid aid before Congress breaks for the holidays and could signal the impending demise of the last-ditch effort to secure a stimulus deal.

There's another scenario too: Self-imposed deadlines have a way of slipping in Congress and it's always possible lawmakers won't release a massive funding deal Tuesday despite their intention to do so. If that happens, it could mean that talks over both stimulus and government spending are breaking down and lawmakers may be forced to punt the issue further down the road by walking away from a pandemic stimulus deal during the lame duck session of Congress and passing a short-term funding patch rather than a far broader, comprehensive spending deal.

"The next several days are going to bring about one of two outcomes," McConnell said. "Either 100 senators will be here shaking our heads, slinging blame and offering excuses about why we still have not been able to make a law -- or we will break for the holidays having sent another huge dose of relief out the door for the people who need it."

Democrats may be forced to abandon state and local aid

There were clear signs on Monday that Democrats could be forced to abandon a push for at least $160 billion in aid to cash-strapped states and cities in order to get a bipartisan agreement on some relief provisions.

Pelosi and Schumer both refused to say that the aid was a red line for them in the talks. And during a 22-minute phone call Monday evening, the speaker told Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin that the GOP insistence to include lawsuit protections for businesses and other entities "remain an obstacle" to getting an agreement on state and local aid -- since Republicans have demanded the two be tied together.

A bipartisan group of lawmakers unveiled the legislative text of a $908 billion compromise Covid relief plan on Monday. But rather than putting out a single legislative package, the bipartisan coalition splitting their proposal into two bills with one dealing with the thorny issues of state and local aid and liability protections, and the other focused on provisions expected to win widespread bipartisan support.

The move to split up the deal signals just how difficult it would be to win broader buy-in for such a package -- and Republicans have insisted they will only support state and local aid if it's coupled with liability protections, a move that Democrats have resisted.

Two senior Democratic sources briefed on the talks told CNN that it now appears unlikely that state and local aid will make it into a pandemic relief package.

If the aid is ultimately dropped from the plan, it would amount to a major concession from Democrats, who had advanced roughly $1 trillion for aid to states and cities as part of a $3 trillion-plus plan that passed the House in May and that the Senate never considered. Democrats had argued the money was paramount to ensure that workers performing vital services -- ranging from first responders to health care workers -- could continue to say on the job.

What's in the bipartisan plan
No checks it would seem.

If Democrats do drop their demand for state and local aid, the consensus bill put forward by the bipartisan coalition on Monday that sidesteps that issue as well as liability protections could serve as a ready-made starting point for what could be agreed to more widely on Covid relief.

That bill has a price tag of $748 billion and includes policy ideas that have proven popular across party lines such as a boost to the Paycheck Protection Program that has been a lifeline for small businesses devastated by the pandemic and funds to support vaccine distribution.

According to a summary released on Monday, the bill would provide $300 billion for the Small Business Administration and funds that would give small businesses the chance to benefit from another loan through the PPP with certain eligibility restrictions.

There would be $2.58 billion for CDC vaccine distribution and infrastructure and an extension of pandemic unemployment insurance programs for 16 weeks along with a $300 per week expansion of federal supplemental unemployment insurance benefits.

Senate Majority Whip John Thune, a South Dakota Republican, signaled optimism about the bipartisan package on Monday, saying, "I think in the end, it's trending in the right direction."

Edit:

Last edited:
It appears the main purpose of this bill is to avoid those losing their UE benefits hence them pushing so hard for this. Crazy part is that they feel accomplished for doing the bare minimum in this instance.

It appears the main purpose of this bill is to avoid those losing their UE benefits hence them pushing so hard for this. Crazy part is that they feel accomplished for doing the bare minimum in this instance.

Could be some issues though, certain Republicans, Democrats, and independents have vowed to not approve another government funding bill, unless direct stimulus checks are included now.

Could be some issues though, certain Republicans, Democrats, and independents have vowed to not approve another government funding bill, unless direct stimulus checks are included now.

It seems like those are in the minority at the moment. The bare minimum is being pushed through heavily now so that they can go on break.

Doesn't sound like it, PUA sounds like it will get extended by at least another month, or three months for now. The way I understand it was they could extend unemployment OR give stimulus checks not both 🤷‍♂️. That's part of the compromise they're saying they're making. This stuff changes everyday, so who knows tomorrow...

so in a sense cause division amongst those who are on unemployment due to covid and those who’ve been fortunate enough to keep their jobs despite likely potential hour cuts and financial impact who didn’t get **** but a $1200 check way back in April.

if anything, if it has to be one or the other, I would hope unemployment gets extended in that all the cares act stuff expires in less than 2 weeks. They’re going to have millions of people cut off unemployment right after Christmas in the cold *** winter with a dead job market if that’s not addressed.

In terms of a stimulus, it’s too late to get it before Christmas which is when it would’ve been most practical if the intended purpose was to have it stimulate the economy. They’re better suited waiting for Biden to get sworn in then pursue the stimulus plan more aggressively.

Back
Top Bottom