OFFICIAL 2022-2023 COLLEGE FOOTBALL THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be clear I don’t like the style of defense Grinch runs. But I do feel like people over simplify issues to “the defense is bad therefore the defensive coordinator must be bad.” “The offense is struggling therefore the QB is bad.”
This is verrrrry interesting :lol:.

This is verrrrry interesting :lol:.

He’s referring to me saying that TVD sucks. To be clear I was saying he was overrated after 2021 too, so I’m not blaming the ****ty Miami offense on him, I just think he isn’t special and teams have film on him now.

He also thinks I give Mario a hard time for running an overly conservative offense and stifling every quarterback he has when it isn’t his fault “because he doesn’t call plays.” Do you have an opinion on that? N41D N41D Bobby Layne Bobby Layne

And N41D N41D one of Grinch’s OU defenses was good.

“With the Sooners in 2019, Grinch helped them improve from allowing 33.3 points per game in 2018 (No. 101 nationally) to 27.3 points per game (No. 64 nationally). Oklahoma’s defense made an even bigger improvement in 2020, when it allowed 21.7 points per game – which ranked No. 29 nationally – and ranked No. 30 in turnover margin per game. The Sooners were also tied for No. 5 in interceptions per game that season.”

He’s referring to me saying that TVD sucks. To be clear I was saying he was overrated after 2021 too, so I’m not blaming the ****ty Miami offense on him, I just think he isn’t special and teams have film on him now.

He also thinks I give Mario a hard time for running an overly conservative offense and stifling every quarterback he has when it isn’t his fault “because he doesn’t call plays.” Do you have an opinion on that? N41D N41D Bobby Layne Bobby Layne
Nah, I’m referring to VARIOUS tales of yours :lol:. Especially regarding “blue chips” and coaching, performance, development. It definitely seems like you’re running with whatever Lincoln is peddling to excuse why the defense sucks versus what we’ve seen from Grinch for YEARS now. Definitely convenient to blame it on the talent and not Grinch.

Nah, I’m referring to VARIOUS tales of yours :lol:. Especially regarding “blue chips” and coaching, performance, development. It definitely seems like you’re running with whatever Lincoln is peddling to excuse why the defense sucks versus what we’ve seen from Grinch for YEARS now. Definitely convenient to blame it on the talent and not Grinch.
Naw I don’t want grinch. And I think he and Odom our LB coach especially chose to play the wrong guys on D. But I also get it.

We know our personnel sucked. We can’t lament how dreadful Helton’s recruiting was the last 3-4 years and talk about how we had huge misses on both lines and at LB then think a new DC is going to come in and fix all of that in 1 year. Our 2021 defense was literally the worst statistically in USC history and that’s with teams getting huge leads on our non offense and then just turtling up and bleeding clock. What was a new DC going to do about that? We still only have one D lineman over 300 LBs right now.

The defense led the country in turnovers and turnover margin and was top whatever in sacks. USC hasn’t done anything like that in a decade. Those are positives but I’m not dumb, I know the defense was very bad and Grinch needs to be better about scheme and personnel deployment. After all you were sitting right next to me when I had a near conniption over him calling prevent on 4th down vs. Tulane :lol:

With as dynamic as that offense was all season they just needed a reasonably decent defense and they didn’t even have that. I don’t care if Grinch is or isn’t the coach but Riley needs to put more emphasis on that side of the ball from a recruiting and resources perspective. This is less about USC and how they improved over Helton and more about LR and his track record on that side of the ball. USC fans will get really tired of this by year 3 and I don’t know if LR sees that his defenses cost him several times in the playoffs. All I read on the USC forums this year was how great the offense was but that defense was directly responsible for both Utah losses and that Tulane loss. LR needs a top notch d coordinator and staff that can pull in recruits and coach them up. I don’t even like SC like that and it made me mad how they squandered Caleb this year.

With as dynamic as that offense was all season they just needed a reasonably decent defense and they didn’t even have that. I don’t care if Grinch is or isn’t the coach but Riley needs to put more emphasis on that side of the ball from a recruiting and resources perspective. This is less about USC and how they improved over Helton and more about LR and his track record on that side of the ball. USC fans will get really tired of this by year 3 and I don’t know if LR sees that his defenses cost him several times in the playoffs. All I read on the USC forums this year was how great the offense was but that defense was directly responsible for both Utah losses and that Tulane loss. LR needs a top notch d coordinator and staff that can pull in recruits and coach them up. I don’t even like SC like that and it made me mad how they squandered Caleb this year.
Again, our defense was HISTORICALLY bad in 2021. Much worse than the 2022 defense.

The majority of our 2023 signees and transfers are on defense.

And if we want to get into coulda shoulda woulda, I posted about this back in December 2021, but USC was negotiating with Venables to come in as a co-DC and got close before OU sniped him, partly as a **** you.

Again, our defense was HISTORICALLY bad in 2021. Much worse than the 2022 defense.

The majority of our 2023 signees and transfers are on defense.

And if we want to get into coulda shoulda woulda, I posted about this back in December 2021, but USC was negotiating with Venables to come in as a co-DC and got close before OU sniped him, partly as a **** you.

All I’m saying is that defense has always been a problem for LR teams so I hope he changes something big on that side of the ball which is something he hasn’t done. It will be easier for him to recruit in LA but the defense has to get better talent and coaching. USC is too good to be OU west but you don’t want LR’s tendency to only focus on offense hurt your playoff aspirations

All I’m saying is that defense has always been a problem for LR teams so I hope he changes something big on that side of the ball which is something he hasn’t done. It will be easier for him to recruit in LA but the defense has to get better talent and coaching. USC is too good to be OU west but you don’t want LR’s tendency to only focus on offense hurt your playoff aspirations
I think he feels indebted to Grinch/they’re close friends and Grinch is from the Leach tree and since the passing of Mike and couple of those guys I think he’s particularly sensitive to that. I also hear the argument that you can’t fire a guy after one year before he has any of his own dudes and when the D has BEEN awful before he even got there.

But I agree, USC can recruit like the SEC so there’s no reason they should be running an air raid offense. Grinch needs to get with the program or get out.

Similar to SC not firing Helton in 2019-20, I think ultimately we’ll do what has to be done and get a great candidate, but I am concerned we’ll waste a generational QB in the interim.

It’s not as simple as just bringing in a new DC either. Look at Ohio State, sure their defense was a lot better statistically but they also played quite a few teams that had mediocre offenses. We saw what happened against UGA and Michigan. OSU is still feeling the repercussions of not getting great corners and LBs for a few years. They have a couple that are promising but as a whole it’s pretty mid.

That’s why I think for as bad as Grinch is he needs at least one more year to run his scheme with better talent (if they recruit it). I’m not sure we’ve ever seen a DC fired after the whole coaching staffs first year at a new school. I’m not sure how bad USCs defense was last year but still

Except our turnover margin was what, +23?
I mean, so? Turnover worthy plays for a QB — great stat to look at. Turnovers for a defense is largely random. Who cares if you have a defense that sucks but you lucked into a lot of turnovers. That’s no reason to think that the defense might be good when you don’t play sound defense otherwise.

Except our turnover margin was what, +23?

It's still largely luck and not something I would plan on my team replicating season after season. Reminds me of when Miami had a huge turnover margin in 2017 only to regress to the mean in 2018 and their defense was significantly worse because they couldn't rely on freakish fumbles and tipped INTs to get stops.

Based on the numbers that they have put up in different conferences, it is kind of crazy that a combo of Jayden Daniels, Johnny Wilson and Ricky Pearsall didn’t put up big numbers in the Pac XII at ASU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom