OFFICIAL 2023-2024 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD *THE START OF THE MICHIGAN WOLVERINE DYNASTY; UPDATE 1/24/2024: THE END OF THE MICHIGAN DYNASTY*

Who will win the 2023 College Football Playoffs?

• the Ohio State

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alabama

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • UGA

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • LSU

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Texas

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Michigan

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • Other

Votes: 15 35.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Man, as much as y’all **** on the whole “Sumlin’s record vs. Jimbo’s record” after every quarter of a game, we’re now getting **** for NOT hiring a guy with a worse win percentage and a significantly worse (35-55) SEC record?
I don’t think you’re getting killed in here for not hiring Stoops. I think people, me included, are pointing out that there’s a big disconnect in what A&M is versus what fans/boosters think A&M is.

Idk, I just think Stoops is a really good Coach. I can see how he wouldn’t be a favorite but that man can coach some ball. I don’t look at his #’s at UK as a negative

Whomever it ends up being i’ll be interested to see how it’s taken and how the hire is framed

Man, as much as y’all **** on the whole “Sumlin’s record vs. Jimbo’s record” after every quarter of a game, we’re now getting **** for NOT hiring a guy with a worse win percentage and a significantly worse (35-55) SEC record?
Ehhh, yall are making too much of Stoops' record honestly. I'm not saying he was the right guy for A&M at all, but the surface numbers are slightly misleading.

20 of those 55 SEC losses came in his first 3 seasons after inheriting an absolutely gutted roster. His SEC record since year 4 is 31-35 which, if you know anything about the history of Kentucky football, is actually pretty impressive.

He's 2-18 against top 10 teams, but 13 of those 18 losses have been against Georgia, Alabama, and Florida back when they were still good. 2-5 against others.

I'd also note that Texas A&M has had two 10+ win seasons since 1998. Mark Stoops has had two 10 win seasons in the last 5 years. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Now, if beating the Bama/Georgia/LSUs is A&M's goal, yeah, Stoops probably ain't the guy. But good luck finding somebody that does meet those expectations.

8 of the SEC wins are Vanderbilt.

So he's 27-52 against everyone else. No way, man.

8 of the SEC wins are Vanderbilt.

So he's 27-52 against everyone else. No way, man.

He's got winning records against Missouri and South Carolina, too. He's beaten Florida 4 times and Tennessee twice. Mixed results against Miss. St., but they've had some good teams recently.

He's beaten the teams he's supposed to beat, and given us a legit shot against every team in the league outside of Bama/Georgia/LSU. Not sure what better results you could expect at Kentucky.

Again, I'm not arguing that he should've been the hire. I just think it's wild yall turn your noses up to a guy that has put together 8 straight winning seasons at freaking Kentucky.
Meanwhile, yall in here talking about hiring your interim, or an unproven coordinator, or Eli Drinkwitz who is 2-2 against Stoops, and expect them to make yall a perennial 10-win team capable of overtaking Alabama.

Yeah, good luck guys. :lol:

Hating Stoops and ending up with Elko is funny. But Elko hired Kevin Johns at Duke who is a pretty good OC.

I don’t love Elko but I’m taking him every day over Stoops. He’ll be cheaper. He’ll keep Robinson around. He gives you a chance to keep your roster together for 2024.

Stoops woulda nuked the roster and the player feedback loop yesterday made that clear as day.

Wonder what Riley Leonard is gonna do if Duke brings in a new staff. He's not NFL ready, especially coming off that injury so I hope he doesn't declare. Hit that portal!

Wonder what Riley Leonard is gonna do if Duke brings in a new staff. He's not NFL ready, especially coming off that injury so I hope he doesn't declare. Hit that portal!
He’d be the most sought after QB in the portal. I’d guess he’s going to the draft though

Leonard feels like a guy that needs a year, no?

Notre Dame backfill for Hartman?

I don't know what Texas A&M is expecting. I don't think the A&M job is as good as their fans think it is. It's a good job, but not an elite job. Texas A&M isn't too good for Mark stoops. Stoops is a really good coach who is maximized his talent and raised the floor for the Kentucky program. I think he would do a really good job at Texas A&M but he isn't splashy enough.

The money people at A&M are more concerned about winning the press conference than winning games.

Damn, why MS State catching strays. Our record vs Kentucky over the last decade plus has to go in our favor. There was a time when I saw Kentucky on the schedule and was like cool State will get a dub this week. It was certainly a relief when they would have Bama, Auburn, LSU in a 4 or 5 week stretch.

State has done well vs A&M since they've been in the SEC too.

And yeah, A&M has deep pockets, but they are not a top 10 job.

Back
Top Bottom