Official 2023 San Francisco Giants Off-Season Thread - Jung Hoo Lee signs with SF 6-years $113 Million

I hope Cain is 100% healthy.

Just saw Pence proposed to his GF. Good for him.

I hope Cain is 100% healthy.
Honestly, as terrible as it is going to sound for me to say this.....I hope that he isn't.  We saw Cain healthy last year, and he was just awful.  I really don't want to see him make 30 starts for us ever again.  He was a monster when he was younger and I will be eternally grateful for all that he has done for our organization, but that is long over.

Cain is the proud owner of the single worst contract our Giants have given out in our franchise's history.  Having him pitch rather than watch does nothing but make matters worse.

Agree, however I feel if they think he is healthy enough to pitch they'll give him a spot in the rotation. The front office is loyal to their home grown players and in this case it is being too loyal to a fault. Cain will always be appreciated by all of us for getting through the bad years with no run support to the title runs but it is time to move on.

That is why I think it is imperative we land a big time FA starter otherwise we might see Cain be slotted as a 3 or worse a 2 in the rotation.

I think he'd still produce better numbers than what Lincecum produced in the his final 3-4 years.

Didn't realize how big Cain's contract was lol.

**** :smh:

The Dbacks were sleepers. First reported to pursuing Greinke this afternoon and they just signed him.

Last edited:
Giants :smh:. There is obviously something else going on, that we can't see, that has everybody staying away. They better get 2 good pitchers and a bat.

Been reading a bunch of tweets that say that our final offer to Greinke was 6 years $195M.  I am livid that we lost out on an elite pitcher for eleven measly million dollars.

Now we are going to be forced to overpay for mediocre talent.  Lovely.  SMFH.

Last edited:
**** :smh:

The Dbacks were sleepers. First reported to pursuing Greinke this afternoon and they just signed him.

Mixed feelings. 6 years for a guy who is 32 at what 32/33 a year I'll pass. Sure we need pitching but I'd rather we get 2 pitchers for that price than just one. As mentioned with Cain I'm sure they are a little gun shy. Hopefully we can resign Leake and go after Cueto.

@LB510  you wont be having mixed feelings about this when you see us overpaying for Samardzija and Leake.

Overpaying for elite talent > overpaying for mediocre talent

Could be that I am just a bit ticked off and not thinking clearly right now but if the Giants really put all their eggs in one basket for one pitcher that is really stupid. At least have talks with the other top FAs as well (Price, Zimmermann) just in case the Greinke talks take longer than expected. Turns out they did and now there are no aces left to be signed.

Now we are going to get in a biding war for pitchers like Leake, Cueto, Samardzija just because we cannot be left with nothing. They are all good pitchers if they are your number 3 or lower but not a number 2. We saw that last year when we acquired Leake. Sure he got injured but he is not a 2 plain and simple.

Last edited:
Could be that I am just a bit ticked off and not thinking clearly right now but if the Giants really put all their eggs in one basket for one pitcher that is really stupid. At least have talks with the other top FAs as well (Price, Zimmermann) just in case the Greinke talks take longer than expected. Turns out they did and now there are no aces left to be signed.

Now we are going to get in a biding war for pitchers like Leake, Cueto, Samardzija just because we cannot be left with nothing. They are all good pitchers if they are your number 3 or lower but not a number 2. We saw that last year when we acquired Leake. Sure he got injured but he is not a 2 plain and simple.
Agreed.

At least the Dodgers have to be freaking out right now.  They were under .500 in games not pitched by Greinke or Kershaw last year.  If we aren't improving, at least the Dodgers are getting worse!

Apparently Zimmermann was our original Plan B. Now that is a good plan in theory but I had not seen any reports of us making a significant effort to try and sign him. It is like the front office was thinking if we do not land Greinke, Zimmermann will be there waiting. I would have been fine if we landed Zimmermann around the price he got along with signing Leake/Cueto/Samardzija at a lower rate than what they will get now, and getting a bat as well.

******* stupid ****! :smh:

Last edited:
The Giants must really believe they can turn Samardzija from a thrower to a pitcher because that has been the negative about him his whole career. I kind of compare it to Kaepernick's situation. All the talent any team would want but he is a runner first rather than a pocket passer. Samardzija tries to just overpower everybody instead of making the correct pitches needed in pressure moments.

Welp, Diamondbacks out of nowhere and the Giants still can't get a top pitcher in FA. I really wonder why they weren't able to land Grienke or even Lester last season. I hope they don't overpay for Leake and Samardizja. But I have this feeling that they will.

Cespedes in LF would be interesting. Just would have to keep him interested in playing Baseball than Golf.

This is pretty frustrating.

Alex Pavlovic ‏@AlexPavlovic 4m4 minutes ago
Giants signed Jeff Samardzija to a five-year deal, pending a physical.

dland24 dland24 Here it is.

If the numbers are anywhere close to what Zimmermann got :x

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom