Official Air Jordan VII 'Charcoals' post! 9/1 Don't call 'em Raptors! NO BUYING/SELLING/TRADING!

There's definitely a difference between what people consider to be "tried on" and "worn"... here are a few categories that I can think of/have heard of and seen:

1. Putting your foot in the shoe to quickly check the length and/or width (without walking around in it)

2. Putting the shoe on, lacing it up, and taking a couple steps in the store.

3. Putting the shoe on, lacing it up, walking around the house for 5-10 minutes/testing the response of the shoe while doing agility-quick movements/etc.

Personally, #1 is still basically DS since there will be no signs of wear whatsoever... because your intent (at that point) isn't to actually wear them... it's to check for the size/fitment.

#2 is gray-area... this is what happens in the shoe stores (and this is what all of the debate is about). Of course, if you have multiple people doing this, then there will definitely be signs of wear... at which point the shoe is no longer DS by any definition. However, doing this one time... tough to say.

#3 definitely counts as a "wear" in my mind.

A lot of it depends on the signs of wear, really... and you really only get those from #2 or #3.

Last edited:
There's definitely a difference between what people consider to be "tried on" and "worn"... here are a few categories that I can think of/have heard of and seen:
1. Putting your foot in the shoe to quickly check the length and/or width (without walking around in it)
2. Putting the shoe on, lacing it up, and taking a couple steps in the store.
3. Putting the shoe on, lacing it up, walking around the house for 5-10 minutes/testing the response of the shoe while doing agility-quick movements/etc.
Personally, #1 is still basically DS since there will be no signs of wear whatsoever... because your intent (at that point) isn't to actually wear them... it's to check for the size/fitment.
#2 is gray-area... this is what happens in the shoe stores (and this is what all of the debate is about). Of course, if you have multiple people doing this, then there will definitely be signs of wear... at which point the shoe is no longer DS by any definition. However, doing this one time... tough to say.
#3 definitely counts as a "wear" in my mind.
A lot of it depends on the signs of wear, really... and you really only get those from #2 or #3.
Well damn, this should be the official DS/UNDS qualification guideline.

im not new to niketalk but still not a serious vets as others, but we should be able to try a pair of $150 shoes on before i leave the store, my store around my way rarely does that and thats bull. jordans sizing are wierd to me cause all models in the same size have a way to big feel or to small. i can understand the ds argument completely, yeah try the shoes on dont go for a test run basically

Last edited:
half of you guys were still in diapers when Nike was actually stopped making quality sneakers...... now u guys are sitting here moping and complaining about quality?? If you know that they are putting out crap or you are always complaining about the quality, then why the hell are u buying them?? Stop buying if u don't like, otherwise keep it moving.

half of you guys were still in diapers when Nike was actually stopped making quality sneakers...... now u guys are sitting here moping and complaining about quality?? If you know that they are putting out crap or you are always complaining about the quality, then why the hell are u buying them?? Stop buying if u don't like, otherwise keep it moving.
It's that simple but it'll never happen. To many dudes have been raised by women and you know how women like to whine lol.

is it me or are all the pairs of raptors lookin fake because of the crap quality
Finally had the chance to pick up my pair and they look great. Not sure what what pics you're looking at.
He was just trolling...or attempting to.

I have mine and they're close to perfect....but I haven't worn them yet because I got the Away Elites last week as well and I have to un-DS them first...lol

I think a lot of people would disagree with this. I don't think trying on one shoe for 30 seconds justifies a pair losing their DS status. :rolleyes

not sure if serious.......but anyway it's a matter of opinion I guess, and what constitutes ds to you may not constitute ds to another. To me ds is something unworn period..never tried on...not a shoe that's had another person's foot in it...but again, it's a matter of opinion. I plan on keeping mine.

Last edited:
not sure if serious.......but anyway it's a matter of opinion I guess, and what constitutes ds to you may not constitute ds to another. To me ds is something unworn period..never tried on...not a shoe that's had another person's foot in it...but again, it's a matter of opinion. I plan on keeping mine.

But, in that case how do you know that a pair you buy in the store is DS? People could have tried them on beforehand.

To me, deadstock means never "worn." Tried on does not count as worn. If you think about the etymology of the word, it's literally dead stock - stock that has accumulated in a shop's stockroom that has not been sold. If were to raid a mom and pop basement, that's what was meant by dead stock, initially. Now, those shoes may have been tried on or they may not have.

...I mean, what about "display" pairs? Are those "deadstock." They've never been worn, but have been handled a bunch.

All that said, people stay trying to front on the condition of their kicks. A sneaker can only exist in 2 states - new and used. This VVVVVNDS nonsense is just that - nonsense. When I list shoes for sale, I try to estimate how many times they were worn. That's a fact. VVVNDS is a subjective characterization that is up to the buyer to judge; the seller's opinion on that is meaningless. Just say, "worn once" or "worn appox a half dozen times." Keep it factual and keep it moving.

Last edited:
i was so glad i tried my chances online i was actually going to stand in line for almost 4 hours outside my local that is 45 mins away and im pretty sure the people that work at fnl and ftl were gna get theirs 1st..they only had 1 of each size, i live out here in palm springs and it hits 120 degrees here DAILY...it was pretty easy online besides the window that kept refreshing but other than that no hassle and i got a great pair that i havent worn besides trying them on these run a little big for me so im just keeping them on ice for a while hopefully the xi's go smooth too..i havent seen anyone out here with them either so thats cool.

2013 is going to be a crazy year for shoe releases. Much better than this year I believe and hope. This year i felt like it was defined by the "galaxy" colorways and Yeezys. Next year we should see more retros being rereleased, hopefully looking as close to the original as possible, with the Grape V's headlining the year. It should be interesting if this over hype and pricing will continue, rise even more, or actually drop a little if people realize what they are doing. Also, the lotto system for large released next year should cause an uproar in some areas, but are definitely needed in some areas. 

But, in that case how do you know that a pair you buy in the store is DS? People could have tried them on beforehand.
To me, deadstock means never "worn." Tried on does not count as worn. If you think about the etymology of the word, it's literally dead stock - stock that has accumulated in a shop's stockroom that has not been sold. If were to raid a mom and pop basement, that's what was meant by dead stock, initially. Now, those shoes may have been tried on or they may not have.
...I mean, what about "display" pairs? Are those "deadstock." They've never been worn, but have been handled a bunch.
All that said, people stay trying to front on the condition of their kicks. A sneaker can only exist in 2 states - new and used. This VVVVVNDS nonsense is just that - nonsense. When I list shoes for sale, I try to estimate how many times they were worn. That's a fact. VVVNDS is a subjective characterization that is up to the buyer to judge; the seller's opinion on that is meaningless. Just say, "worn once" or "worn appox a half dozen times." Keep it factual and keep it moving.

Who says I have to buy from a store in the first place? ...and even if I did buy from a store, Jordan retros are factory laced all the way to the top with the laces all twisted inside of the shoe. I can pretty much wager on whether or not a shoe has been tried on or not simply by my experience on how shoes, especially Jordan releases, are factory laced....

..and yes you are technically right. However, in simplified everyday terms, ds usually means an unworn, never tried on sneaker. Pretty much most of what you said I understand and agree with.

Back
Top Bottom