Official AUTHENTIC NBA JERSEY Post - Bringin Back the JERSEY ERA... (Info/Guide = Page 1)

Since I’m a masochist, I needed to scoop up this Calderon jersey to remind me of all the dark times in Raptors history (which looks like it will be repeating itself soon enough if it hasn’t already).

img_3267-jpeg.3168282
IMG_3268.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3267.jpeg
    IMG_3267.jpeg
    287.1 KB · Views: 973
Question for you guys - I'm considering buying one of the new Nike authentics that retail for $199 but looking at some photos/videos, these are single stitched letters/numbers. Colors on the letters/numbers are printed. Are the new "authentics" basically the old swingman jerseys in terms of quality and materials?

Question for you guys - I'm considering buying one of the new Nike authentics that retail for $199 but looking at some photos/videos, these are single stitched letters/numbers. Colors on the letters/numbers are printed. Are the new "authentics" basically the old swingman jerseys in terms of quality and materials?
yes, think about it like this:

nike swingman = adidas replica
nike authentic = adidas/old nike swingman

Last edited:
no they are way higher quality. when colors are screened on single layer twill its usually because there is a design element that is too delicate or complex to cut from twill. the screening on multi colored twill is comparable to past authentics that had screening (ie 80s jerseys) but are smoother in application. Not the same as the colors on swingman jerseys that would fade in the wash

I have a hard time understanding why the perception of current Nike authentics is so poor. Feels like we look at old retail authentics through nostalgia and rose-colored glasses. Some of the old jersey aspects weren't that great. There are current jersey aspects aren't really different than the old gamers, e.g. kiss-cut lettering. Yet, some new details are way better, like the vaporknit/Dri-fit ADV fabric.

I think the new Nike authentics are superior to the old swingmans. The Vaporknit material is better and while most of authentics are single stitched - they are kiss cut, so it’s not exactly the same as a Swingman stitching wise.

That said, they don’t feel as durable or as well constructed as the old Nike authentics that used dri-fit material. Also the twill on the old Nikes had a nice dazzle or shine to them that I liked. On the new Nikes I’m actually scared to rip/ tear it taking it off sometimes. That’s prob because they are made to be lighter weight for performance.

Comparison pics below.
IMG_3634.jpeg

IMG_3637.jpeg

I think the new Nike authentics are superior to the old swingmans. The Vaporknit material is better and while most of authentics are single stitched - they are kiss cut, so it’s not exactly the same as a Swingman stitching wise.

That said, they don’t feel as durable or as well constructed as the old Nike authentics that used dri-fit material. Also the twill on the old Nikes had a nice dazzle or shine to them that I liked. On the new Nikes I’m actually scared to rip/ tear it taking it off sometimes. That’s prob because they are made to be lighter weight for performance.

Comparison pics below.
IMG_3634.jpeg

IMG_3637.jpeg
Thanks for the photos! I can clearly tell bottom jersey in the 2nd photo is the old authentic, and also really like the shine on the old letters and numbers. My guess is in the first photo, it's the new authentic on top and old swingman at the bottom, but can't really tell too much of a difference. I yaven't held one of the authentics in my hands yet.

I think all of us have some level of bias about the ageless debate: which jerseys better. I think the unbias answer to that is: it depends on the era you grew up and started collecting. That's your baseline when it comes down to judgment/personal preferences. For me, I grew up watching NBA in the 90s: generational players like Jordan and Kobe. Therefore, I think champion is my standard when it comes down to quality: made in USA, thick/durable and high quality, and design details. If we are talking about nostalgia, I think the 90s had the best designs: raptors, grizzlies, rocket, etc. On the receiving end: better wear a shirt underneath them champion joints or you end up with bloody nipples :lol:.

I do believe today's jerseys are not as durable but they are more performance base (eg. light weight, thin, breathable, etc.). I do have a few Nike VaporKnits and I like them. Others can chime in on that.

I have a hard time understanding why the perception of current Nike authentics is so poor. Feels like we look at old retail authentics through nostalgia and rose-colored glasses. Some of the old jersey aspects weren't that great. There are current jersey aspects aren't really different than the old gamers, e.g. kiss-cut lettering. Yet, some new details are way better, like the vaporknit/Dri-fit ADV fabric.

plus the rubber logoman and swoosh peel off after a few wears/washes (unless the swoosh is stitched), i’m scared to even wear my shorts anymore because everytime it’s getting a step closer. Adidas/reebok/old nike had their own issues like snags and the size tag getting torn to shreds, but give me that over logos falling off

Last edited:

plus the rubber logoman and swoosh peel off after a few wears/washes (unless the swoosh is stitched), i’m scared to even wear my shorts anymore because everytime it’s getting a step closer

There are pros and cons. I do prefer the embroidered patches No doubt. It did bother me that The Rev30s crests/logos were only heat sealed. The process sometimes left the twill slightly bubbly. I actually hated this when it came out because it reminded me of some counterfeits. Plus the Rev30 mesh is so thin and snag prone.

The Swoosh has been sewn on for like 4-5 seasons though. Are you wearing authentics or swingmans?

There are pros and cons. I do prefer the embroidered patches No doubt. It did bother me that The Rev30s crests/logos were only heat sealed. The process sometimes left the twill slightly bubbly. I actually hated this when it came out because it reminded me of some counterfeits. Plus the Rev30 mesh is so thin and snag prone.

The Swoosh has been sewn on for like 4-5 seasons though. Are you wearing authentics or swingmans?
well swingmans aren't even sewn nor glued on, they're printed. i know authentics have had it sewn on since 2019-20 but i have a lot of shorts and jerseys from the 2 prior seasons because those had some of the best designs like the Mambas, Miami Vice, Warriors Chinese new year, Orlando galaxy, etc.

Thanks for the photos! I can clearly tell bottom jersey in the 2nd photo is the old authentic, and also really like the shine on the old letters and numbers. My guess is in the first photo, it's the new authentic on top and old swingman at the bottom, but can't really tell too much of a difference. I yaven't held one of the authentics in my hands yet.
Np! Yes, the first photo is a 2nd gen adidas Swingman (which are the best swingmans imo). It’s hard to see the difference even with close photos, but if you have them in hand you can feel the difference for sure.

plus the rubber logoman and swoosh peel off after a few wears/washes (unless the swoosh is stitched), i’m scared to even wear my shorts anymore because everytime it’s getting a step closer. Adidas/reebok/old nike had their own issues like snags and the size tag getting torn to shreds, but give me that over logos falling off

Ok, that’s pretty bad…lol.

I do feel today’s jersey’s in any of the major sports are geared more towards performance/light weight. Especially Basketball. Watching those 90’s games, some of those players jersey’s looked drenched. Probably felt like a weighted vest. Always wondered if some of them swapped into a fresh jersey at halftime?

I think all of us have some level of bias about the ageless debate: which jerseys better. I think the unbias answer to that is: it depends on the era you grew up and started collecting. That's your baseline when it comes down to judgment/personal preferences. For me, I grew up watching NBA in the 90s: generational players like Jordan and Kobe. Therefore, I think champion is my standard when it comes down to quality: made in USA, thick/durable and high quality, and design details. If we are talking about nostalgia, I think the 90s had the best designs: raptors, grizzlies, rocket, etc. On the receiving end: better wear a shirt underneath them champion joints or you end up with bloody nipples :lol:.

I do believe today's jerseys are not as durable but they are more performance base (eg. light weight, thin, breathable, etc.). I do have a few Nike VaporKnits and I like them. Others can chime in on that.

i love me some champion / sand knit mesh jerseys but this narrative that champion jerseys are the gold standard of quality jersey construction is a wild fallacy. they actually have arguably the worst quality control of any of the jersey manufacturers.... high shoulder logos on the 89 run, to the missing details on pistons & bucks jerseys, incorrect number fonts on pistons, lakers and jazz, incorrect neck trim on pacers, sizing inconsistencies across the board etc etc etc. ironically its not until they outsourced the manufacturing to korea that the quality control got sorted

i love me some champion / sand knit mesh jerseys but this narrative that champion jerseys are the gold standard of quality jersey construction is a wild fallacy. they actually have arguably the worst quality control of any of the jersey manufacturers.... high shoulder logos on the 89 run, to the missing details on pistons & bucks jerseys, incorrect number fonts on pistons, lakers and jazz, incorrect neck trim on pacers, sizing inconsistencies across the board etc etc etc. ironically its not until they outsourced the manufacturing to korea that the quality control got sorted
You made some very fine points sir. I do want to add that my sentiment took place when I was 14 y/o and I lived in a small world--no internet and only information available was via window shopping at Sports Authority, Champs, catalogs, etc.

Bonus: 1990s Herald Square (34th Street) NYC. Who remembers all them Conway stores?!? 😭

I do feel today’s jersey’s in any of the major sports are geared more towards performance/light weight. Especially Basketball. Watching those 90’s games, some of those players jersey’s looked drenched. Probably felt like a weighted vest. Always wondered if some of them swapped into a fresh jersey at halftime?

I went to the basketball hall of fame last weekend, and being obsessed with jerseys that's what I focused on most during this trip. It's insane the evolution that jerseys have taken over the past half century plus. Forget about the 90's jerseys, some of the old school jerseys were WOOL! :lol: But yeah looking closely at those 80's, thick Sand Knit jerseys got me sweating too. :lol:

I opted to get a Damian Lillard jersey earlier this month despite it being an inevitability he was going to get traded, which became official this week when he was sent to the Bucks. I still think it's worth having a Lillard Blazers jersey.
IMG_7128.JPG
IMG_7129.JPG

I opted to get a Damian Lillard jersey earlier this month despite it being an inevitability he was going to get traded, which became official this week when he was sent to the Bucks. I still think it's worth having a Lillard Blazers jersey.
IMG_7128.JPG
IMG_7129.JPG
Yeah I agree. I got mines months ago. I like Portland jerseys they are highly underrated

I just sold my Dame jersey.

Does anyone know how to find out what your rewards points are worth on basketball jersey world or how to use them?

Back
Top Bottom