Official Beowulf Thread

Originally Posted by The Kicktionare

It was funny at times, when it should have not.

Like the part when the queen tells Beowulf "Many men have traveled the seas to taste the kings meat" or something like that. Half the theater was like what? and proceeded to LOL
ahahaha that was prob. the best moment in the movie.

oh damn... i thought this move was INTENTIONALLY funny and thought it brought comedy to the next level.....
regardless im reading original story right now....

angelina-jolie-pregnant.jpg

(Grendels mother in the movie)
=
(real description grendels mother)

"When I sleep, she presses close to me, half buries me under her thistly fur and fat. "Dool-Dool," shemoans. She drools and weeps. "Warrovish," she whimpers, and tears at herself. Hanks of fur come away in her claws. I see gray hide."

grin.gif
devil.gif
eyes.gif
eyes.gif
at the use of angelina as the mother

They actually say "the king's mead" and mead is wine made from honey and honey combs. If it was meant as a double entendre it was probably basedon the queen's body rather than the king's.

It is funny when critics say that the story line was crude and the humour was even cruder. If anyone has read Beowulf and/or knows about that Early MedievalGermanic culture knew that this was to be expected. The story line clearly deviated from the orginal poem but the straight forward and bawdy nature of themovie pretty well captures the feel and purpose of the poem.

Just because something is a classic does not mean that it is always very sophisticated. Poems like Dante's Inferno and The Canterbury Tales were meant fora fairly small, literate audience from the late Middle Ages. Beowulf was meant to be sung out loud for the enjoyment of a largely illiterate audience that wasnot formally educated. Beowulf was the action movie of its day so the fact that the movie is fast paced and meant as relatively simple entertainment makes itpretty authentic and true to the original.

Originally Posted by Rexanglorum

They actually say "the king's mead" and mead is wine made from honey and honey combs. If it was meant as a double entendre it was probably based on the queen's body rather than the king's.

It is funny when critics say that the story line was crude and the humour was even cruder. If anyone has read Beowulf and/or knows about that Early Medieval Germanic culture knew that this was to be expected. The story line clearly deviated from the orginal poem but the straight forward and bawdy nature of the movie pretty well captures the feel and purpose of the poem.

Just because something is a classic does not mean that it is always very sophisticated. Poems like Dante's Inferno and The Canterbury Tales were meant for a fairly small, literate audience from the late Middle Ages. Beowulf was meant to be sung out loud for the enjoyment of a largely illiterate audience that was not formally educated. Beowulf was the action movie of its day so the fact that the movie is fast paced and meant as relatively simple entertainment makes it pretty authentic and true to the original.

Let's also not forget it takes place in the most barbaric era of humanity. They could have done a lot more to make it even more garish.

Main we just got done reading the story for english 12. now i gotta go see it caz i gotta do a report on it.

Originally Posted by Rexanglorum

Just because something is a classic does not mean that it is always very sophisticated. Poems like Dante's Inferno and The Canterbury Tales were meant for a fairly small, literate audience from the late Middle Ages.

Not everything in the Canterbury Tales is particularly sophisticated either. There's plenty somewhat tawdry humor in there also. Overall, however, Iagree with everything you're saying.

Back
Top Bottom