OFFICIAL CHEF/COOKS THREAD... VOL I wish these pics were scratch and sniff.

from The305.com

tumblr_loyjdwCgf61qzyv3uo1_500.jpg

Good lawd, just found this on Solehiphop/Tumblr. I never heard of these but I think we’re gonna have to try these for Labor Day. You know that in Miami, er’body gotta avocado tree or two in the backyard somewhere. And my family being Dominican, avocados are like the most sacred thing on earth. So yeah, I had to post this recipe.

Avocado Fries
  • oil for frying
  • 2 Avocados
  • 2 Eggs, beaten
  • 1 and 1/3 Cup Bread Crumbs
  • 1 Teaspoon Lemon Pepper
  • 1/2 Teaspoon salt
  • 1 Teaspoon Lemon Pepper
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
  • 1/4 Teaspoon Cumin
Cilantro Lemon Dipping Sauce
  • 5 Tablespoons Mayonnaise
  • 3 Tablespoons Fresh Cilantro, chopped
  • Juice from 1/2 of Lemon
  1. In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the bread crumbs, lemon pepper, salt and cumin. Set it aside. Cut the avocados in half and then slice them vertically into 4 inch by 1 inch wedges. Set them aside. Heat the vegetable oil to 335 degrees Fahrenheit in a large frying pan, adding enough oil so that the oil is about 3 to four inches deep. Dredge the avocado slices in the breadcrumb mixture, then in the egg mixture, then in the breadcrumb mixture again. Place them in the hot oil and fry them for about 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove them with a slotted spoon or tongs, and set them on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb the excess oil. Allow them to dry for 10 minutes, then transfer them to a serving tray and serve them immediately with the Cilantro Lemon Dipping Sauce.
  2. For the Cilantro Lemon Dipping Sauce, place the mayonnaise, cilantro, and lemon juice in a blender and mix until smooth and creamy in texture

Originally Posted by djaward

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

Not a recipe persay, but just a tip for all you amateur grillers out there.

BRINE YOUR CHICKEN
I do this even when I don't grill.
I brine my wings when I'm making fried chicken. 

I just tried making Korean fried chicken last month. They were a hit.
How do you BRINE YOUR CHICKEN?
ohwell.gif

do you brine your chicken then marinade it?

BRINE YOUR CHICKEN

ohwell.gif

BRINE YOUR CHICKEN

ohwell.gif
GOOGLE

BRINE YOUR CHICKEN

ohwell.gif
GOOGLE

Mojodmonky1 and Dirty

How do you brine your chicken? I see that you can use what ever you want to brine. Any recommendations?

Mojodmonky1 and Dirty

How do you brine your chicken? I see that you can use what ever you want to brine. Any recommendations?

Overnight marinated mahi mahi, with some sauteed garlic green beans with chili flakes. Secret to keeping green beans crisp and green is boiling them, but not all the way, then transfer them into an ice bath, then finish cooking them with some olive oil in a pan with garlic and seasonings. Every thanksgiving it's the first side dish thats gone first. 

shrimp pasta with veggies and wheat penne

Overnight marinated mahi mahi, with some sauteed garlic green beans with chili flakes. Secret to keeping green beans crisp and green is boiling them, but not all the way, then transfer them into an ice bath, then finish cooking them with some olive oil in a pan with garlic and seasonings. Every thanksgiving it's the first side dish thats gone first. 

shrimp pasta with veggies and wheat penne

BRINE YOUR CHICKEN

ohwell.gif

BRINE YOUR CHICKEN

ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by wcghost

Originally Posted by VeryAnalytical85

No pics sadly 
ohwell.gif
But I'm the same as Dirty, I too wish I could be a call a chef one day.

Here's what I've made:

-Personal spin on Mac and Cheese

-Custom Ice Cream Waffle Tacos

-Salmon Beurre Blanc

-Barcardi 151 and Custom Chipotle BBQ Infused Burger Patties

-Tropical Grand Marnier Custom Mesquite Grilled Chicken

-Custom Dry Rub w/Pork Chops

There's more but I can't remember it all.

I can also mix up a few cocktail drinks here and there 
smile.gif
yo..... take pics asap.
Thread grave dig 
laugh.gif
wcghost: Most of what I cook is usually freestyle (left over ingredients from the pantry) whether it be at home or at a party. I'll try to post pictures in the future if people are still interested in this stuff.

k00laid: Thanks man. The Bacardi 151 recipe, is still a work in progress. It wasn't until I made my 4th batch during that particular summer that the patty didn't dry up as much due to the lack of fat within the patty (to keep it moist) as well as the lack of marinating time it had to allow the flavors to soak in.

Originally Posted by VeryAnalytical85

No pics sadly 
ohwell.gif
But I'm the same as Dirty, I too wish I could be a call a chef one day.

Here's what I've made:

-Personal spin on Mac and Cheese

-Custom Ice Cream Waffle Tacos

-Salmon Beurre Blanc

-Barcardi 151 and Custom Chipotle BBQ Infused Burger Patties

-Tropical Grand Marnier Custom Mesquite Grilled Chicken

-Custom Dry Rub w/Pork Chops

There's more but I can't remember it all.

I can also mix up a few cocktail drinks here and there 
smile.gif
yo..... take pics asap.
Thread grave dig 
laugh.gif
wcghost: Most of what I cook is usually freestyle (left over ingredients from the pantry) whether it be at home or at a party. I'll try to post pictures in the future if people are still interested in this stuff.

k00laid: Thanks man. The Bacardi 151 recipe, is still a work in progress. It wasn't until I made my 4th batch during that particular summer that the patty didn't dry up as much due to the lack of fat within the patty (to keep it moist) as well as the lack of marinating time it had to allow the flavors to soak in.

Man I need to learn to cook ASAP. Living in my friends house and eating arroz y habichuelas, and mangu is killing me. Op
if its simple please pm me the recipe

Man I need to learn to cook ASAP. Living in my friends house and eating arroz y habichuelas, and mangu is killing me. Op
if its simple please pm me the recipe

BRINE YOUR CHICKEN

pics? recipe? was this korean fried chicken the kind with the sweet & spicy sauce on it?
pimp.gif
no pics... sorry.. no recipe... there are variations on the sauces... but I used a soy/garlic/sake/honey mixture [reduced in volume by half] -- probably closest to a garlic teriyaki.
I've just found out about Wondra Flour (or instant flour)..  way better for deep frying than regular baking flour.  Key is to coat your chicken in the flour mixture and just let it sit for a good 10 minutes to set.

oh..and with Korean wings...they're twice fried.

so I deep fry them once...maybe for 5 minutes.  Take them out, let them cool to room temp... and then deep fry them again for another 3-4

Google "Korean fried chicken wing recipes" and you'll find loads of recipes(and tips in the comments sections of the recipes)

Originally Posted by airmaxplus

no.. either or.

Mojodmonky1 and Dirty

Can't speak for Mojo... but unless I'm making a more complicated brine...I simply use H20, Salt, Sugar and a big ziplock bag.  I don't heat it up at all.

BRINE YOUR CHICKEN

pics? recipe? was this korean fried chicken the kind with the sweet & spicy sauce on it?
pimp.gif
no pics... sorry.. no recipe... there are variations on the sauces... but I used a soy/garlic/sake/honey mixture [reduced in volume by half] -- probably closest to a garlic teriyaki.
I've just found out about Wondra Flour (or instant flour)..  way better for deep frying than regular baking flour.  Key is to coat your chicken in the flour mixture and just let it sit for a good 10 minutes to set.

oh..and with Korean wings...they're twice fried.

so I deep fry them once...maybe for 5 minutes.  Take them out, let them cool to room temp... and then deep fry them again for another 3-4

Google "Korean fried chicken wing recipes" and you'll find loads of recipes(and tips in the comments sections of the recipes)

Originally Posted by airmaxplus

no.. either or.

Mojodmonky1 and Dirty

Can't speak for Mojo... but unless I'm making a more complicated brine...I simply use H20, Salt, Sugar and a big ziplock bag.  I don't heat it up at all.

Originally Posted by frink85

Anyone know how to cook a steak on a pan or oven? I tried it once but was disappointed.

its been awhile, but high heat + liberal amounts of oil should do the trick. add oil to the pan, let it heat up, throw a steak on. let it sit until seared, flip. cook to desired doneness.

honestly, cooking on a pan is a lot easier for me (i liked my steak medium/medium rare) but for my friends (well done...i know) i had to experiment with low heat/long cooking time

Naw you don't want any oil at all, if you use it, it'll just fry your steak. Here's how it's done

Cast iron pan heavily salted, heat it up on high till you can hold your hand over the bottom for more than 2 seconds

Have the oven preheated to 450

Throw the steak on for 2 minutes each side. Don't touch it while it's on the pan.

Throw the whole pan in the overn for approx 4-8 minutes (depends how you like your steak cooked) 4-5 for rare, 5-6 med rare, etcc

Pull it out, put the steak on a cutting board or plate, cover it and let it sit for 5-8 minutes. It'll soak up more juices that way.

Here are some awesome recipes. Some are quick, others are more labour intensive. My mom used to work at a 4 star french restuarant and she raised me a cookin boy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/06/dining/06ribsrex1.html

http://www.realsimple.com/food-reci...oasted-peppers-feta-10000001720236/index.html
I use fresh peppers and just chop up 1 to 1 1/2 peppers

Another simple one is bread or grill up a bunch of chicken. Save the leftovers.
Next Day:
Get a fresh pizza dough, roll it out.
Chop up the leftover chicken
Throw bbq sauce on the pizza dough, than some cheddar or mozz cheese, than chicken, a little more cheese and sauce and bake it.

Originally Posted by frink85

Anyone know how to cook a steak on a pan or oven? I tried it once but was disappointed.

its been awhile, but high heat + liberal amounts of oil should do the trick. add oil to the pan, let it heat up, throw a steak on. let it sit until seared, flip. cook to desired doneness.

honestly, cooking on a pan is a lot easier for me (i liked my steak medium/medium rare) but for my friends (well done...i know) i had to experiment with low heat/long cooking time

Naw you don't want any oil at all, if you use it, it'll just fry your steak. Here's how it's done

Cast iron pan heavily salted, heat it up on high till you can hold your hand over the bottom for more than 2 seconds

Have the oven preheated to 450

Throw the steak on for 2 minutes each side. Don't touch it while it's on the pan.

Throw the whole pan in the overn for approx 4-8 minutes (depends how you like your steak cooked) 4-5 for rare, 5-6 med rare, etcc

Pull it out, put the steak on a cutting board or plate, cover it and let it sit for 5-8 minutes. It'll soak up more juices that way.

Here are some awesome recipes. Some are quick, others are more labour intensive. My mom used to work at a 4 star french restuarant and she raised me a cookin boy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/06/dining/06ribsrex1.html

http://www.realsimple.com/food-reci...oasted-peppers-feta-10000001720236/index.html
I use fresh peppers and just chop up 1 to 1 1/2 peppers

Another simple one is bread or grill up a bunch of chicken. Save the leftovers.
Next Day:
Get a fresh pizza dough, roll it out.
Chop up the leftover chicken
Throw bbq sauce on the pizza dough, than some cheddar or mozz cheese, than chicken, a little more cheese and sauce and bake it.

for those who want to cook steak besides grilling.

I usually set my pan on super high. sear each side for about one minute.

then in a preheated 450 degree oven i put the pan in for 5-8 minutes depending on how you like your meat.

then after i take the pan out, be careful the handle of the pan will be hot, i throw in about 1-2 tablespoons of butter and herbs (rosemary, oregano, whatevs) and let it melt into the steak.

then you let your steak rest. do not cut it immediately fatboys.

as it rests either plate yyour sides or pour yourself a nice drink

for those who want to cook steak besides grilling.

I usually set my pan on super high. sear each side for about one minute.

then in a preheated 450 degree oven i put the pan in for 5-8 minutes depending on how you like your meat.

then after i take the pan out, be careful the handle of the pan will be hot, i throw in about 1-2 tablespoons of butter and herbs (rosemary, oregano, whatevs) and let it melt into the steak.

then you let your steak rest. do not cut it immediately fatboys.

as it rests either plate yyour sides or pour yourself a nice drink

Back
Top Bottom